The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Came here to post this exact thing.

Yet, let Rodgers do something similar, and he’s a terrible leader, bad teammate, arrogant *****, etc. lol. Whatever.
It's all about narrative. Granted Rodgers may be demanding and whatnot, but I certainly don't think he's as bad as guys like Cowherd and Skip Bayless paints him to be.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes and I was referring more to players that didn't really excel in Green Bay, were cut/not resigned due to the Packers wanting to replace them with better talent. Most of those players never amounted to anything with another team. I would guess that Hayward wasn't resigned because of money, more than lack of talent.

So yes, there have been players that were cut or weren't resigned due to other factors other than just not having enough talent in the Packers eyes. Many of these players went on to play well with other teams.

You're right that the Packers knew Hayward was a talented cornerback but didn't re-sign him because of money and the wrong impression they had a deep secondary.

I can't recall many other players leaving Green Bay and excelling for their new teams though.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the future of Geronimo Allison in Detroit will go a long way toward buttressing one side or another in the debate over the talent level of Rodgers' recent receivers. He'll have a capable QBs In Stafford, and a pass-friendly offense. Let's see how he does.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the future of Geronimo Allison in Detroit will go a long way toward buttressing one side or another in the debate over the talent level of Rodgers' recent receivers. He'll have a capable QBs In Stafford, and a pass-friendly offense. Let's see how he does.

I predict GMO will have a career in Detroit that is pretty similar to what former Packer WR Jared Abbredaris had when he went from the Packers to the Lions in 2017.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the future of Geronimo Allison in Detroit will go a long way toward buttressing one side or another in the debate over the talent level of Rodgers' recent receivers.

Do you really believe the performance of a wide receiver on the bubble of seeing playing time with another team will go a long way in evaluating a future HOF QB??? :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're right that the Packers knew Hayward was a talented cornerback but didn't re-sign him because of money and the wrong impression they had a deep secondary.

I can't recall many other players leaving Green Bay and excelling for their new teams though.

Micah Hyde, Lang and a few others did well after they left GB, but again, those guys not being resigned wasn't really a question of talent, more a question of how much the Packers were willing to pay for the talent or to see if they got even better. This phenomenon seems to be across the board too. From UDFA's, late picks, early picks and even guys that stuck around for a long time or even given a 2nd contract. Datone Jones (4 seasons) and Nick Perry (7 seasons) are classic cases of the Packers hanging on too long and hoping for growth/consistency. Perry hasn't been resigned since the Packers released him over a year ago. Datone Jones was allowed to walk in Free Agency and after stints with 5 teams, he is still a free agent.

Then you have classic recent flops like 2nd Rd. picks Quinton Rollins and Josh Jones. Rollins hasn't played again since the Packers cut him in 2017 and Jones is hanging on to an NFL career by a thread.

All that said, I doubt this is much different than what other teams see, but if it is, the Packers might want to dig deep into player scouting and see if something needs to change.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I knew that GMO and Abbredaris weren't the only ex Packer WR's to go to the Lions, so I did a bit of digging. Seems GMO has his work cut out for him to make a splash, if history is any indication of what happens.
  • Corey Bradford
  • Jeremy Ross
  • Billy Shroeder
  • Walter Stanley

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really believe the performance of a wide receiver on the bubble of seeing playing time with another team will go a long way in evaluating a future HOF QB??? :rolleyes:
I did not read Barclay that way. I thought he was just talking about maybe the talent level of the receivers was/is not as bad as most think. Not necessarily a knock on Rodgers (although I do wish he would stop the facial expressions except when they are directed at himself). A lot of factors could be involved. eg, maybe relying on Graham so much when he was mostly out there just taking up space. Maybe clogging things up. Looking forward to Sternberger playing well.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, I do think the talent level is pretty low for Rodgers, and I don't expect Allison to show up as a consistent strength at wr for Detroit -- my point is just that we'll actually have some.additional relevant data to plug into this argument for one side or the other. I mean, I could be wrong, so could any of us.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, but in the context of a discussion in which that HOF QB's recent performance is being questioned, and the quality of his receivers is being posited as a relevant factor, we'll likely get some.usable data and perspective on that specific factor. So maybe your tone is unnecessarily condescending, particularly given that I happen to agree with your overall position?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I did not read Barclay that way. I thought he was just talking about maybe the talent level of the receivers was/is not as bad as most think.

How many media experts or even Packer fans have you heard talking about how talented the 2019 Packer WR group was? There is an overwhelming consensus that its a very weak overall group. Why are people trying to make this argument of "Well maybe they were much better than we thought and its Rodgers fault"? Did people not watch these receivers actually play? Not saying you are fully there, but you seem close.

Out of the 6 players who began the 2019 season on the Packer roster, please tell me who do you think is a lock to be on the Packers roster or even an NFL Roster after the final cutdowns in Sept.
  1. D. Adams
  2. GMO
  3. MVS
  4. Trevor Davis
  5. Kumerow
  6. Shepherd

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually, I do think the talent level is pretty low for Rodgers, and I don't expect Allison to show up as a consistent strength at wr for Detroit -- my point is just that we'll actually have some.additional relevant data to plug into this argument for one side or the other. I mean, I could be wrong, so could any of us.

I think your hunch is correct and I wouldn't feel so strong about that if there were WR's leaving Green Bay due to lack of performance and then having stellar careers elsewhere. That just isn't happening. While I do not expect GMO to all of a sudden turn into a Pro Bowler in Detroit, if by chance he does, I think you would have to look at more than just Rodgers as to why there was such a drastic change to his game.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No, but in the context of a discussion in which that HOF QB's recent performance is being questioned, and the quality of his receivers is being posited as a relevant factor, we'll likely get some.usable data and perspective on that specific factor. So maybe your tone is unnecessarily condescending, particularly given that I happen to agree with your overall position?

I mean didn't we see this happen before when Jennings went to Minnesota? As I recall he AND his sister ended up looking like complete fools.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did act the fool, and still does, but honestly, going over 800 yards on a horrible Vikings team w Christian Ponder throwing to you is...some kind of success?

But according to some.on this thread that's a different, pre-decline Rodgers who was throwing to Jennings. So let's see if Allison can clear 800 yards in Detroit with Stafford under center.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Micah Hyde, Lang and a few others did well after they left GB, but again, those guys not being resigned wasn't really a question of talent, more a question of how much the Packers were willing to pay for the talent or to see if they got even better. This phenomenon seems to be across the board too. From UDFA's, late picks, early picks and even guys that stuck around for a long time or even given a 2nd contract. Datone Jones (4 seasons) and Nick Perry (7 seasons) are classic cases of the Packers hanging on too long and hoping for growth/consistency. Perry hasn't been resigned since the Packers released him over a year ago. Datone Jones was allowed to walk in Free Agency and after stints with 5 teams, he is still a free agent.

Then you have classic recent flops like 2nd Rd. picks Quinton Rollins and Josh Jones. Rollins hasn't played again since the Packers cut him in 2017 and Jones is hanging on to an NFL career by a thread.

All that said, I doubt this is much different than what other teams see, but if it is, the Packers might want to dig deep into player scouting and see if something needs to change.
When it comes to Hyde and Hayward, the question on why we didnt sign them is irrelevant. What's important is that they played much better after they left. Both becoming all pro. This is evidence that GB defensive coaching was poor.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it comes to Hyde and Hayward, the question on why we didnt sign them is irrelevant. What's important is that they played much better after they left. Both becoming all pro. This is evidence that GB defensive coaching was poor.
I don't agree with that. Hayward was really pretty good while he was here and healthy. He wasn't healthy very often. I think he was one of the highest rated rookies ever. Then he battled hamstring injuries for the next 2 years basically. Being better in year 5 than year 2 is the norm, not the exception, especially when injuries and not being able to play are factored in.

And outside of Hyde's fast start in Buffalo, of which we all took notice, he's largely been the same type player he was here since then.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it so hard to stay ON TOPIC?? This is an Aaron Rodgers Performance thread and many are arguing over not re-signing Hayward or Hyde? Besides their interceptions giving AR's offense the ball back they have NOTHING to do with AR's Performance. Rant over, I'll just turn off notifications to this thread, it's dead.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with that. Hayward was really pretty good while he was here and healthy. He wasn't healthy very often. I think he was one of the highest rated rookies ever. Then he battled hamstring injuries for the next 2 years basically. Being better in year 5 than year 2 is the norm, not the exception, especially when injuries and not being able to play are factored in.

And outside of Hyde's fast start in Buffalo, of which we all took notice, he's largely been the same type player he was here since then.
I can see that as a possibility.

There is no way to know for sure who is right.

So we should just go with my opinion and my uncanny amazing track record of being right about these kinds of things.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I mean didn't we see this happen before when Jennings went to Minnesota? As I recall he AND his sister ended up looking like complete fools.

Jennings was an awesome WR while in GB, that really isn't the point here. Some are wondering if guys that aren't very good in GB are that way because of Rodgers. Cobb went to Dallas last year and had a decent season, that doesn't say anything about Rodgers either way, because Cobb was pretty good when he left GB.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Trust me, I agree with you on that and have said it many times. I also recognize that both players weren't cut in GB, they just weren't resigned. Why? Probably because of what was perceived as a value decision by TT. He didn't see their contract demands equal to what he thought they would give back. Hindsight probably tells us TT should have resigned them both, because in a new system and with new coaches, both players did really good. Was that the Packer coaches fault or just 2 guys blossoming in a new situation? Had they stayed and it was a coaching issue, they don't blossom and we may have never known the difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why is it so hard to stay ON TOPIC?? This is an Aaron Rodgers Performance thread and many are arguing over not re-signing Hayward or Hyde? Besides their interceptions giving AR's offense the ball back they have NOTHING to do with AR's Performance. Rant over, I'll just turn off notifications to this thread, it's dead.

Hey come on, everything centers around Aaron Rodgers, so even the # of beers sold at Lambeau on game day is a fair topic of discussion in this thread! ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that as a possibility.

There is no way to know for sure who is right.

So we should just go with my opinion and my uncanny amazing track record of being right about these kinds of things.
no, we discussed this before, you're always right except for when you disagree with me. Because then you can't be right.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well to be fair, I rarely know what thread i'm in, I'm just responding to posts :)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Allison could catch 115 balls for 1,800 yards and 17 touchdowns next year and it still won't change the fact that he routinely let the offense and Rodgers down in 2019.

Members online

Latest posts