The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There were other QBs playing better with less talented WRs than AR wirked with. AR played poorly this season. Even my non Packer fan friends and family have all asked what is wrong with AR? They ask this not based on his stats but in watching him play.

If he played better, his other WRs would be legit.
Brett had years he played with no names

Brady did it a few times as well.

So for me, to lay all blame on talent doesn't sit well...I agree it doesn't help, but it's proven it can be done

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett had years he played with no names

Brady did it a few times as well.

So for me, to lay all blame on talent doesn't sit well...I agree it doesn't help, but it's proven it can be done
Its simple observation. Rodgers isnt playing well. Not sure why, but once a QB reaches a certain level with the Packers he becomes infallible. That anything goes wrong it must be someone else's fault.

I want us to add a WR this draft. Because we could use more talent there and it is an amazing year for WRs. Increasing talent at WR will add 2-3 more receptions per game. But, AR playing better would add 5 or 6 more receptions plus more YAC.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were other QBs playing better with less talented WRs than AR wirked with. AR played poorly this season. Even my non Packer fan friends and family have all asked what is wrong with AR? They ask this not based on his stats but in watching him play.

If he played better, his other WRs would be legit.

Like who? The only person you can make that argument is Russell Wilson, and even though he did have a better season, Rodgers wasn't too far off from him. The biggest thing when it comes to Rodgers is that we're so used to him playing out of this world that any slight dip and it's considered poor. He's a victim of his own success.

There is no doubt Rodgers could play better, but even if he did there's no guarantee those receivers would be "legit". Ask Brady.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like who? The only person you can make that argument is Russell Wilson, and even though he did have a better season, Rodgers wasn't too far off from him. The biggest thing when it comes to Rodgers is that we're so used to him playing out of this world that any slight dip and it's considered poor. He's a victim of his own success.

There is no doubt Rodgers could play better, but even if he did there's no guarantee those receivers would be "legit". Ask Brady.
I saw at least 4 segments on AR this season that the theme was, "what's wrong with Aaron Rodgers". Each showed clips of plays where AR made bad throws to open guys or plays where a WR was wide open and he didnt make the throw.

Wentz
Carr
Tannehill
Stafford
Winston

To name a few. Hell, Wentz was still slinging it when his top 3 receivers were out.

AR finished 20th in QBR:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

It's not like only a few did better than him.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw at least 4 segments on AR this season that the theme was, "what's wrong with Aaron Rodgers". Each showed clips of plays where AR made bad throws to open guys or plays where a WR was wide open and he didnt make the throw.

Wentz
Carr
Tannehill
Stafford
Winston

To name a few. Hell, Wentz was still slinging it when his top 3 receivers were out.

AR finished 20th in QBR:

Add Dak Preskott to that list. We have Devante Adams, one of the best receivers in the game. Preskott outplayed Rodgers with one of our cast off receivers, and a broken down TE that came out of retirement. We have a running game and a defense. Isn't that what the excuse was 4 years ago? Breez has 1 Wide out worth anything and a run game and certainly outplayed Rodgers this year. I don't understand the blind devotion to Rodgers. I loved Favre, but I knew he would blow games for us with his interceptions. I never made excuses for that saying the receivers just weren't where they should be etc...

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wentz
Carr
Tannehill
Stafford
Winston

AR finished 20th in QBR:

QBR is a ******** stat. I don't put a lot of stock when someone like Baker Mayfield, Matt Ryan, and Ryan Fitzpatrick all rank ahead of Rodgers. You're telling me that they had a better year than him, or did more with less?

With respect, no way did any of those guys have a better year than Rodgers. 3 of them didn't even make the playoffs, and one of which was out for several games, and somehow he did more with less in comparison to Rodgers? I can see an argument for Wentz for doing more with less, but even then Rodgers had a better year, and it's not like Rodgers hadn't proven to work with less after Adams went down for about 4 games.

I am in no way denying that Rodgers needs to improve, but can we please stop pretending that Rodgers didn't play well? Did he play to HIS standards? No, but he certainly played well all things considered.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QBR is a ******** stat. I don't put a lot of stock when someone like Baker Mayfield, Matt Ryan, and Ryan Fitzpatrick all rank ahead of Rodgers. You're telling me that they had a better year than him, or did more with less?

With respect, no way did any of those guys have a better year than Rodgers. 3 of them didn't even make the playoffs, and one of which was out for several games, and somehow he did more with less in comparison to Rodgers? I can see an argument for Wentz for doing more with less, but even then Rodgers had a better year, and it's not like Rodgers hadn't proven to work with less after Adams went down for about 4 games.

I am in no way denying that Rodgers needs to improve, but can we please stop pretending that Rodgers didn't play well? Did he play to HIS standards? No, but he certainly played well all things considered.

QBR is not a BS stat. Yes Fitspatrick, Ryan, and Mayfield did better than Rodgers on that statistic. Rodgers had a bad year for a top 3 paid QB. A very dismal year. Rodgers only redeeming statistic last year was interceptions thrown. That was the only reedeming statistic for Rodgers last year. Look at what everyone else did with yards, touchdowns, rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, completion percentage etc. Rodgers was a bottom half quarterback last year, and made top 3 money amongst all players in the NFL last year. And he was healthy for the whole year. He can want to play into his 40s but at this rate he will retire at 38 like Eli.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Add Dak Preskott to that list. We have Devante Adams, one of the best receivers in the game. Preskott outplayed Rodgers with one of our cast off receivers, and a broken down TE that came out of retirement. We have a running game and a defense. Isn't that what the excuse was 4 years ago? Breez has 1 Wide out worth anything and a run game and certainly outplayed Rodgers this year. I don't understand the blind devotion to Rodgers. I loved Favre, but I knew he would blow games for us with his interceptions. I never made excuses for that saying the receivers just weren't where they should be etc...
How did Dak outplay Rodgers that day when Rodgers had the better QBR that day (something you claim is NOT a bs stat), and Dak had 3 int (should've been 4). Plus anyone with eyes knows that talent wise Dallas is better offensively. Tell me outside of Adams which receiver is better than Gallop or Cobb? I'll wait.

As for Brees, don't give Brees outplayed Rodgers when A. He missed about half of the season. B. The Saints ranked HIGHER than Green Bay in a rushing attack, so this notion that Brees didn't have a running game is a freaking myth. C. They had a better tight end in Cook. D. Peyton is one of the best head coaches, and arguably one of the best offensive minds in the game and his offense is predicted for guys like Brees. I mean for goodness sake, Bridgewater was undefeated when Drew went down.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How did Dak outplay Rodgers that day when Rodgers had the better QBR that day (something you claim is NOT a bs stat), and Dak had 3 int (should've been 4). Plus anyone with eyes knows that talent wise Dallas is better offensively. Tell me outside of Adams which receiver is better than Gallop or Cobb? I'll wait.

As for Brees, don't give Brees outplayed Rodgers when A. He missed about half of the season. B. The Saints ranked HIGHER than Green Bay in a rushing attack, so this notion that Brees didn't have a running game is a freaking myth. C. They had a better tight end in Cook. D. Peyton is one of the best head coaches, and arguably one of the best offensive minds in the game and his offense is predicted for guys like Brees. I mean for goodness sake, Bridgewater was undefeated when Drew went down.

I thought Cobb wasn't good enough to be a Green Bay Packer. Somehow his stats about doubled going to Dallas to be a receiver. Dak beat him on yards thrown, tds, and QBR. Rodgers doesn't play defense so comparing Rodgers QBR against Daks QBR in a game is ridiculous. Brees missed 5 games in a 16 game season. I never said Brees didn't have a rushing game I said their offensive strengths are like ours, one great receiver, a good rushing attack, and a good defense. You can't come to terms with the fact that this is Rodgers, the 3rd highest paid player in the league last year. Watch his horrid mistakes, interceptions, fumbles, and horrible throws in the NFC Championship game. Come back and tell me he is not in decline. Come back and tell me that was the wide receiving corps fault.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Cobb wasn't good enough to be a Green Bay Packer. Somehow his stats about doubled going to Dallas to be a receiver. Dak beat him on yards thrown, tds, and QBR. Rodgers doesn't play defense so comparing Rodgers QBR against Daks QBR in a game is ridiculous. Brees missed 5 games in a 16 game season. I never said Brees didn't have a rushing game I said their offensive strengths are like ours, one great receiver, a good rushing attack, and a good defense. You can't come to terms with the fact that this is Rodgers, the 3rd highest paid player in the league last year. Watch his horrid mistakes, interceptions, fumbles, and horrible throws in the NFC Championship game. Come back and tell me he is not in decline. Come back and tell me that was the wide receiving corps fault.

You must be new here, because I always said letting go of Cobb was a mistake and I didn't think that anyone on the receivers outside Adams was better. You had people saying how Geronimo was better, but that clearly isn't the case. So my point still stands that Dallas had the better collective group of offensive weapons, so thank you for making my point.

As for Dak in regards to yards, TDs, and QBR goes, first off most of those yards and TDs were garbage points, and I know for a fact that Dak had the worst QBR that day because Shannon Sharpe was egging Skip Bayless to bring up QBR in which Skip begrudgingly admitted that Dak had a lower QBR in comparison to Rodgers that day, so that is a lie. Skip is ALWAYS the first to bring up QBR and yet he didn't that time, until Shannon backed him into a corner.

Correction, you said Brees outplayed Rodgers when the fact is that he didn't. He wasn't even a candidate for MVP while Rodgers was. On top of that I mentioned how The Saints had a better TE, let alone the better head coach. So...

As for blind devotion? Dude stop. No one here is making excuses for Rodgers, and we have all acknowledged that his game needs to be better. With that being said, while Rodgers is partly to blame for the struggles, it's not all on him. The receivers for the most part have been underwhelming this year. What confuses me is that you bring up how Rodgers is the third highest paid QB and yet we've managed to go 13-3 and make it to the NFC Championship. At this point in his career Rodgers is judged on what he does in the postseason. If you're insinuating that Rodgers is the primary reason we lost that game, then you're gravely mistaken.

No one here is "blindly devoted" to Rodgers. When he plays like garbage just about everyone calls him out, and again we've all conceded that he needs to play better. With that being said, there is a thing called objectivity and putting things into it's proper context rather than just throwing all the blame at the QB's feet. That is neither fair nor accurate.

Last season we went 13-3 with Rodgers being behind center, and made it to the NFC Championship game and lost to the better team. That was certainly better than what was expected. So what I'm not understanding where this whole "blind devotion" is coming from.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one here is "blindly devoted" to Rodgers.
I think a few people here are blindly devoted to Rodgers.

Talking about quarterbacks who outperform each other is a complicated subject. The Cowboys finished with the #1 offense by yards, #6 by points, and #2 by passing yards. By any yardstick, the Cowboys were a top 10 offense, and the Packers were not. Yet the Packers won 13 games and Dallas failed to make the playoffs. Losing quarterbacks routinely rack up more yards than the winning QB because the team that is ahead runs the ball to burn clock, and the team that is behind has to pass to catch up quickly. Meanwhile, what the Packers are trying to do currently is not put everything on Rodgers shoulder.

IMO Rodgers does some things wrong, he's not perfect. He's one of the all time greats and we are lucky to have him. He is our best chance to win in the coming years. But I do think he's overrated. That sounds odd since I believe he's one of the all time greats. But people have touted him as the best of all time, and I think that's overrating him. To be fair, you're not hearing this as often as you did five years ago. Even his most staunch supporters have downgraded him from GOAT to "best passer of the ball of all time, at least until Mahomes came around".

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be new here, because I always said letting go of Cobb was a mistake and I didn't think that anyone on the receivers outside Adams was better. You had people saying how Geronimo was better, but that clearly isn't the case. So my point still stands that Dallas had the better collective group of offensive weapons, so thank you for making my point.

As for Dak in regards to yards, TDs, and QBR goes, first off most of those yards and TDs were garbage points, and I know for a fact that Dak had the worst QBR that day because Shannon Sharpe was egging Skip Bayless to bring up QBR in which Skip begrudgingly admitted that Dak had a lower QBR in comparison to Rodgers that day, so that is a lie. Skip is ALWAYS the first to bring up QBR and yet he didn't that time, until Shannon backed him into a corner.

Correction, you said Brees outplayed Rodgers when the fact is that he didn't. He wasn't even a candidate for MVP while Rodgers was. On top of that I mentioned how The Saints had a better TE, let alone the better head coach. So...

As for blind devotion? Dude stop. No one here is making excuses for Rodgers, and we have all acknowledged that his game needs to be better. With that being said, while Rodgers is partly to blame for the struggles, it's not all on him. The receivers for the most part have been underwhelming this year. What confuses me is that you bring up how Rodgers is the third highest paid QB and yet we've managed to go 13-3 and make it to the NFC Championship. At this point in his career Rodgers is judged on what he does in the postseason. If you're insinuating that Rodgers is the primary reason we lost that game, then you're gravely mistaken.

No one here is "blindly devoted" to Rodgers. When he plays like garbage just about everyone calls him out, and again we've all conceded that he needs to play better. With that being said, there is a thing called objectivity and putting things into it's proper context rather than just throwing all the blame at the QB's feet. That is neither fair nor accurate.

Last season we went 13-3 with Rodgers being behind center, and made it to the NFC Championship game and lost to the better team. That was certainly better than what was expected. So what I'm not understanding where this whole "blind devotion" is coming from.

My apologies if I misunderstood what you were saying. Honestly, games won is the most important stat. That is Rodgers most redeeming factor. Not turning the ball over is very important to games won, and normally Rodgers is great at that. Watching the bad quarters of our offense during the regular season was painful, and Rodgers takes quite a bit of the blame in my opinion for those struggles. Rodgers looked like Jay Cutler in the NFC Championship. Interceptions, fumbles, and underthrown passes, passes that hit the back of a defender, they were all there in that game. I just don't see the 2014-2015 Rodgers anymore, and I am frustrated because I see his paycheck is doing to the Packers what Flacco's did to the Ravens. He just isn't worth that much money anymore and we are stuck with him for the next 2 years. So he needs to pick it up, or we need to show him the door. I guess his demeanor rubs me the wrong way as well, he just doesn't seem to have the passion to win like Favre did. The whole team looked flat multiple times while losing last season. That Detroit game was ridiculous for the most part. I didn't think we would get past Seattle in the playoffs to be honest.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw on Around the Horn that Rodgers is against the new CBA proposal. Is it cause for concern that one of his issues was that he wanted more free time for players during the off season?

D

Deleted member 6794

Just saw on Around the Horn that Rodgers is against the new CBA proposal. Is it cause for concern that one of his issues was that he wanted more free time for players during the off season?

Here's what Rodgers had to tweet about his decision to vote no on the proposed CBA.

superdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me like they have tons of free time already. And now they barely even have to practice in pads. How much easier can they make this for the guys?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In an attempt to feel and look more youthful, Rodgers changed his look for the new season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not a single one of those was his fault. Few tough catches for sure...but dang...

Somehow people on here are going to find a way to blame him though...

Well....when I first saw those numbers, I was like "dang"...and wanted to immediately blame the receivers and say "see Rodgers had crap for receivers", so I watched the film. I first rated it "informative", but removed the rating after I watched the whole film. Ok, there were some in there that the receivers were at fault, some that I think were a bit uncatchable and a few that were just great defensive plays. I think if you broke down every one of those plays, you could probably point the finger at someone (on offense or defense) as to why it wasn't a completion. But....yes Virginia, Rodgers wasn't perfect/at fault on all 13 "misses". So not sure where the guy who put that together got the term "Accurate" throws, but I think he was inaccurate at calling them all that.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....when I first saw those numbers, I was like "dang"...and wanted to immediately blame the receivers and say "see Rodgers had crap for receivers", so I watched the film. I first rated it "informative", but removed the rating after I watched the whole film. Ok, there were some in there that the receivers were at fault, some that I think were a bit uncatchable and a few that were just great defensive plays. I think if you broke down every one of those plays, you could probably point the finger at someone (on offense or defense) as to why it wasn't a completion. But....yes Virginia, Rodgers wasn't perfect/at fault on all 13 "misses". So not sure where the guy who put that together got the term "Accurate" throws, but I think he was inaccurate at calling them all that.
I vacillated between informative and winner for that post. I decided on winner... was too lazy to watch and evaluate for myself.... I am currently still too lazy for now. I trust your judgment... maybe i’ll get the motivation to watch it later lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I vacillated between informative and winner for that post. I decided on winner... was too lazy to watch and evaluate for myself.... I am currently still too lazy for now. I trust your judgment... maybe i’ll get the motivation to watch it later lol.

The bottom line is that a lot of things like this are strictly subjective. I can see someone who thinks Rodgers is over rated putting together similar film showing how in their opinion, Rodgers missed out on many opportunities. So someone doing the opposite, as this film does, doesn't impress me much. I'm not a scout or coach, so who am I to say if a receiver ran a bad route, wasn't where he was suppose to be or Rodgers flat out missed a golden opportunity. I am just sick of people using slow motion birds eyes view video to try and point out just how bad they think Rodgers is and video like this doesn't make me lean towards the opposite end either.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I agree that not all of the plays shown in the video should be considered drops by the receivers they should have at least caught half of those balls in my opinion.

It's true there's a lot of subjectivity involved in evaluating plays like that though.

Members online

Latest posts