The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I vacillated between informative and winner for that post. I decided on winner... was too lazy to watch and evaluate for myself.... I am currently still too lazy for now. I trust your judgment... maybe i’ll get the motivation to watch it later lol.

Every single one of those throws was catchable.

Was the ball placement perfect? No, it wasn't. So was it all the receivers fault? Not really, some of those were tough catches.

I'm of the opinion all of those were above average passes. Degree of difficulty was quite high.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
My intention when posting wasn’t to insinuate that all of those should have been caught, because there were some tough ones. But there were also a couple gimmies in there as well.

The narrative that he can no longer throw the long ball (it’s a minority, I know) is just inaccurate.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me ask you all this because I'm just curious at this point. This is hypothetically speaking of course, but let's say for the sake of argument The Packers won the title this year and Rodgers played well enough to win the SB MVP. Let's say he threw around 300+ yards 3-5 TDs, 0 int. But prior to the SB he didn't do necessarily well in the playoffs and perse. By that he did enough for the teams to win but he wasn't God Mode like in the SB in comparison. Would you guys be satisfied and would your view of him change?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let me ask you all this because I'm just curious at this point. This is hypothetically speaking of course, but let's say for the sake of argument The Packers won the title this year and Rodgers played well enough to win the SB MVP. Let's say he threw around 300+ yards 3-5 TDs, 0 int. But prior to the SB he didn't do necessarily well in the playoffs and perse. By that he did enough for the teams to win but he wasn't God Mode like in the SB in comparison. Would you guys be satisfied and would your view of him change?

Nah.

Greg Jennings would still be right. He would still suck, be overpaid, terrible teammate and we never should have drafted the bum!

Danica needs to dump him ASAP! :coffee:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line is that a lot of things like this are strictly subjective. I can see someone who thinks Rodgers is over rated putting together similar film showing how in their opinion, Rodgers missed out on many opportunities. So someone doing the opposite, as this film does, doesn't impress me much. I'm not a scout or coach, so who am I to say if a receiver ran a bad route, wasn't where he was suppose to be or Rodgers flat out missed a golden opportunity. I am just sick of people using slow motion birds eyes view video to try and point out just how bad they think Rodgers is and video like this doesn't make me lean towards the opposite end either.
All correct. And then add in the speed at which today’s game is played. QBs are expected to get the ball out in under 3 seconds on a designed passing play. After the snap, that doesn’t give the QB any time really to adjust if the D does something unanticipated post snap.

So I bristle when I hear “so and so was wide open underneath, or down the seam, or uncovered on the perimeter” from commentators watching tape that’s been slowed down. That just chafes me. It’s also why the really great QBs (and I count Rodgers among them) can find a split second to make a check down, or abandon the pocket and look for receivers to come back, or leg it out for a few (or a lot of) yards.

And Rodgers’ body language is usually pretty telling as to whether a receiver ran an incorrect route or he (Rodgers) missed the throw. I’ll leave it to the coaches to decide who is making mistakes and who is operating as best as possible according to a play.

D

Deleted member 6794

After the snap, that doesn’t give the QB any time really to adjust if the D does something unanticipated post snap.

Rodgers is one of the best in the business reading the defense and making pre-snap adjustments. That makes it especially important for the receivers to be on the same page though.

And Rodgers’ body language is usually pretty telling as to whether a receiver ran an incorrect route or he (Rodgers) missed the throw.

True, that's resulting in a lot of criticism of Rodgers though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And Rodgers’ body language is usually pretty telling as to whether a receiver ran an incorrect route or he (Rodgers) missed the throw.

This part of Rodgers game actually use to bother me, but the longer its gone on, it bothers me far less. I think the media and some fans love to highlight it and try to capture it for all to see, because it is used in an attempt to cast an ugly shadow on the guy.

Truth is, Rodgers is not the only person, professional athlete, NFL player or QB that acts this way. Further, its been his mode of operation most of his life. He is a perfectionist that isn't shy about outwardly showing his disappointment in a situation, his teammates or himself. He expresses it and moves on. I am guessing that his coaches and teammates come to know this pretty quickly about Aaron and don't take it as personal as some want to think. Unless of course your name is Greg Jennings.

If he suddenly stopped showing any of his emotions on the field, I have a feeling we would start reading comments like: "Rodgers is done, he has checked out, now playing with no emotion, what happened to the fire that use to be lit under him?"

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is one of the best in the business reading the defense and making pre-snap adjustments. That makes it especially important for the receivers to be on the same page though.

True, that's resulting in a lot of criticism of Rodgers though.
I haven’t kept count, but more often than not he seems to be scowling at the receivers...

And yeah, few other QBs can interpret a D pre-snap than #12. Meaning the receivers, and everyone else, need to pay attention when he audibles.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t kept count, but more often than not he seems to be scowling at the receivers...

And yeah, few other QBs can interpret a D pre-snap than #12. Meaning the receivers, and everyone else, need to pay attention when he audibles.
I've noticed him looking annoyed at times as well. Sometimes it's with himself because he knew the receivers were in good position and he botched the throw, others could be that he felt the receiver should've caught the ball as he felt he threw it right on the dime, other instances could be due to the fact that they went 3 and out and he knows he has to put up points and for whatever reason they couldn't. When you are extremely competitive stuff like will frustrate you, especially when things ultimately fall on you.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed him looking annoyed at times as well. Sometimes it's with himself because he knew the receivers were in good position and he botched the throw, others could be that he felt the receiver should've caught the ball as he felt he threw it right on the dime, other instances could be due to the fact that they went 3 and out and he knows he has to put up points and for whatever reason they couldn't. When you are extremely competitive stuff like will frustrate you, especially when things ultimately fall on you.
Yeah and right or wrong, the QB usually takes the heat. I don’t like him dressing down players in front of 80,000 people and millions at home. But as you said, he’s a competitor and few, if any, come into games as prepared. So the emotion is to be expected at times.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, Rodgers had one legit pass catcher to throw to in Adams for most of the season yet some of you continue to argue that it was mostly his fault the passing offense didn't perform up to expectations.

As a side note, you have to consider the two years that automatically void at the end of the 2019 league year into Brady's cap hit for last season which would increase that number to $35 million (Rodgers counted $29.35 million towards the cap in '19 after restructuring his contract in December). Yet the myth still exists that Brady is taking less money :rolleyes:
Pretty good point. All he had, for the most part, was Adams. Defenses know that and I expect would double team #17. In spite of that, and missing 4 games due to turf toe, I thought he put up some pretty good numbers last year. Get one more impact player at WR, and I’d expect dramatic improvement in the O overall.

D

Deleted member 6794

The receivers need to pay attention to every small detail Rodgers does before the ball is snapped. In addition they have to be on the same page once they break the huddle.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The receivers need to pay attention to every small detail Rodgers does before the ball is snapped. In addition they have to be on the same page once they break the huddle.
He’s a master of the game. That’s why, IMO, bringing in a WR high in the draft and expecting them to put up 1,000 yards isn’t reasonable. It takes time. It took Adams 3 years before he was really clicking. That doesn’t mean they shouldn’t draft a WR, they should, it’s just to set expectations.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers requiring guys to read his mind holds this offense back...especially in this late stage in his career. there's no time to build that anymore. leave that to adams. besides taking what the defense gives him he should take what his WR's can give also.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers requiring guys to read his mind holds this offense back...especially in this late stage in his career. there's no time to build that anymore. leave that to adams. besides taking what the defense gives him he should take what his WR's can give also.
Agreed. And Rodgers has a tendency to look for the “home run” too often. That’s just my observation. Maybe it’s not true.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I think you are using "reading mind" a bit liberal here. A guy getting paid close to a million dollars or more a year and wants to excel at his job, should be able learn his playbook as well as the audibles. The chemistry between Rodgers and Adams is just an added bonus when it comes to knowing what the other will do when things break down.

So you are saying that from here on out, Rodgers should think like a Rookie QB that can't read a defense, can't call an audible based on the defense or expect his receivers to do any of that as well? Your expectations are far too low. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn’t it odd how all these previous receivers were able to “read his mind”. Lol, but these lower round guys with holes in their game and an inability to learn the offense are not successful because they can’t read his mind like they’re supposed to be able to do to function in this offense.

you know when you’re coach and offensive line are talking about a limited playbook at years end because some guys couldn’t learn the playbook i suppose mind reading ability would come in handy when you don’t know your own responsibility on any given play but thankfully you QB does.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are using "reading mind" a bit liberal here. A guy getting paid close to a million dollars or more a year and wants to excel at his job, should be able learn his playbook as well as the audibles. The chemistry between Rodgers and Adams is just an added bonus when it comes to knowing what the other will do when things break down.

So you are saying that from here on out, Rodgers should think like a Rookie QB that can't read a defense, can't call an audible based on the defense or expect his receivers to do any of that as well? Your expectations are far too low. ;)
Excellent point there Poker. If you paid me a few million to play a position, and if I wanted to keep that income coming, I’d certainly take the time to not only read but memorize the playbook, especially as it related to my position. That’s not too much to ask of these guys. And that includes studying film - for the player’s play as well as the next opponent.

Rodgers expects a lot, and that’s in part because of what he puts into prep. If a teammate of mine isn’t holding up his end, I’m gonna let him know, as should the coaches.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Excellent point there Poker. If you paid me a few million to play a position, and if I wanted to keep that income coming, I’d certainly take the time to not only read but memorize the playbook, especially as it related to my position. That’s not too much to ask of these guys. And that includes studying film - for the player’s play as well as the next opponent.

Rodgers expects a lot, and that’s in part because of what he puts into prep. If a teammate of mine isn’t holding up his end, I’m gonna let him know, as should the coaches.

I think this is where scouting comes into play and not just with WR's. Some of these guys are physically gifted and mega talented in college but I have to wonder if they have what it takes mentally to make it in the NFL. A scout needs to discover more than just what a player puts on tape in college. Was that player a part of a really great scheme, coaches and players around him? Is that player smart enough to make the jump to the NFL and understand the more complicated aspect of the NFL VS College Football? I'm not going to name names, but I think some of these guys don't make it in the NFL, because they fall short on brains and or desire, not on physical ability.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is where scouting comes into play and not just with WR's. Some of these guys are physically gifted and mega talented in college but I have to wonder if they have what it takes mentally to make it in the NFL. A scout needs to discover more than just what a player puts on tape in college. Was that player a part of a really great scheme, coaches and players around him? Is that player smart enough to make the jump to the NFL and understand the more complicated aspect of the NFL VS College Football? I'm not going to name names, but I think some of these guys don't make it in the NFL, because they fall short on brains and or desire, not on physical ability.
And a few if them are just plain lazy. They are playing with the best of the best now and the pro game is played much faster and it’s EVERY week. Very few soft spots on an NFL schedule. The great ones do the work and adapt. The others? 2-3 years and out.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure it's difficult for the receivers. But that's why they make the big bucks, as they say.
Rodgers goes to the line, surveys the defense, and decides if he's going to call an audible. If he does, he will decide on the right audible, call it out, and have the ball snapped. Rodgers has more time to think about it than the receiver does. The receiver hears the play, then the ball is snapped. He has to know immediately what he is supposed to do.

That's his job, so nobody is going to cut him any slack. But I could see why sometimes someone will run the wrong route. One moment of your brain freezing up, and everything's messed up.