The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WTF??? Mondio listed several reasons as to why the Packers offense struggled and you truly believe he supported your point of view that Rodgers is the only one to blame??? :rolleyes:
i've NEVER said or INFERRED he was the only problem. where did that come from? you said there was no evidence that they didn't run the shanahan O MLF wanted to run. the O he's been taught and coached by all those guys...his mentors. i said you just need to open your eyes and ears. you asked for evidence then admit they changed it for rodgers. mondo's list went along with it in a funny way.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've seen people really try to look for what they want to see, and then there's Gary taking it to a whole nuva level LOL.

What I listed were reasons why the offense had spurts and sputters.

You can find a post a week with you saying Rodgers won't buy in and run the offense and that's being conservative.

The Shanahan offense doesn't look the same for RGIII or JG or Goff or Beathard or Mullens.

You're being beyond absurd.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've seen people really try to look for what they want to see, and then there's Gary taking it to a whole nuva level LOL.

You can find a post a week with you saying Rodgers won't buy in and run the offense and that's being conservative.

The Shanahan offense doesn't look the same for RGIII or JG or Goff or Beathard or Mullens.

I feel like he's either doing this on purpose or simply because he doesn't want to be wrong.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

You mean offenses look different depending upon who the quarterback is? Nonsense.

D

Deleted member 6794

you said there was no evidence that they didn't run the shanahan O MLF wanted to run. you asked for evidence then admit they changed it for rodgers.

First of all you have absolutely no idea which offense MLF wants to run. And for the umpteenth time, it would be extremely stupid to not tailor the scheme to Rodgers strengths.

Being critical of Rodgers is not the same thing as saying he's the only problem.

I'm absolutely fine with being critical of Rodgers but gary has been making ridiculous claims about him since the start of last season.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all you have absolutely no idea which offense MLF wants to run. And for the umpteenth time, it would be extremely stupid to not tailor the scheme to Rodgers strengths.

I'm absolutely fine with being critical of Rodgers but gary has been making ridiculous claims about him since the start of last season.

I agree with you on both points, but on the first point I would say that the other option is to find players to run the offense that you want. MLF should play to Rodgers declining strengths, but if Rodgers doesn't want to run MLF's system, then there is a choice between running Rodger's offense, or getting rid of Rodgers. The game has evolved immensly since Rodgers was drafted. He isn't an OC, a QB coach, or even Peyton Manning. He is a QB whose best days are behind him. Tanking the offense for Rodgers' sake is not acceptable. Him being the third highest paid QB in the league and not being flexible enough to run a new offense is not acceptable. We are stuck with him this year, and probably next year. He either needs to get on the bus or be prepared to be thrown underneath it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with you on both points, but on the first point I would say that the other option is to find players to run the offense that you want. MLF should play to Rodgers declining strengths, but if Rodgers doesn't want to run MLF's system, then there is a choice between running Rodger's offense, or getting rid of Rodgers. The game has evolved immensly since Rodgers was drafted. He isn't an OC, a QB coach, or even Peyton Manning. He is a QB whose best days are behind him. Tanking the offense for Rodgers' sake is not acceptable. Him being the third highest paid QB in the league and not being flexible enough to run a new offense is not acceptable. We are stuck with him this year, and probably next year. He either needs to get on the bus or be prepared to be thrown underneath it.

There's absolutely no evidence that Rodgers didn't buy into MLF's scheme. But once again, it would be terrible mistake for the head coach to not tailor the offense to the strengths of a future HOF quarterback.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
there is a choice between running Rodger's offense, or getting rid of Rodgers.

Due to the way his contract is structured, getting rid of Rodgers is really not a viable option right now, so people need to stop throwing that out there. Unless, of course, you want to see the Packers take a huge accelerated Cap hit, in which case they would have to cut other veteran players to keep under the total cap amount. Would definitely be a way to catapult them towards the #1 pick in the draft for a few years.

If people want to start talking about "planning for Rodgers departure", they should be prepared to look at the Packers options in 2022 or 23 at the earliest.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no evidence that Rodgers didn't buy into MLF's scheme. But once again, it would be terrible mistake for the head coach to not tailor the offense to the strengths of a future HOF quarterback.
I mean Rodgers has stated several times that he's bought in, and said that he doesn't have to throw a lot of TDs in order for them to win games, and that this is the most fun he's had in a long time. To me that's evidence in regards to how he's bought in to MLF's system. So I don't understand when people say otherwise. Also it's like you said it would be a terrible mistake for a head coach (especially a rookie head coach) to not have some input from your HOF QB. We saw it with Peyton in Denver and they at least made it to 2 SBs while winning one. Different situations but still.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People claim to read and listen and "know" yet they somehow missed the Coach, the QB, and other players saying the offense was limited by the failure of some to be able to function in the offense because they didn't know it. They didn't know their responsibilities, they couldn't operate on the fly. Some would believe it was one of the most cerebral QB's in the history of the game who's shown he can still make every throw and has feasted on every type of throw in the playbook that either doesn't know or won't run it and that is the limiting factor. or the collection of guys that have proven to be less than adequate who you could often tell were not doing what everyone else was doing on any given play were not the reason.

I know what I think is more likely. They all have stuff to work on, a 1st year learning curve is to be expected even from a QB named Rodgers. They're going to be better in year 2 and it's not going to be because Rodgers finally decided in the offseason to "run the offense" MLF wants because it's not the issue in the first place.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How can we say with certainty that Rodgers doesn't want to run MFL's system? I suspect he spent most of this past season figuring it out for himself. This was the first time in his NFL career that he is learning a new offense and scheme so IMO it is still a work in progress. He should be more comfortable with this system this season now that he has a year in it under his belt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They all have stuff to work on, a 1st year learning curve is to be expected even from a QB named Rodgers. They're going to be better in year 2 and it's not going to be because Rodgers finally decided in the offseason to "run the offense" MLF wants because it's not the issue in the first place.

Agree. I also don't care how many times people try to convince me that Rodgers had enough tools at his disposal to be successful, I am not buying that part. While I agree that the growing pains of a new coach and a new offense was a major part of the "problem", until Gute contributes some better tools for MLF and Rodgers to incorporate into the offense, we are just going to be seeing more lipstick added to the pig.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was disheartening to hear they couldn't do any hurry up style offense because guys were having trouble functioning even in the slow down offense still at the end of the year. That has to change.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
it was disheartening to hear they couldn't do any hurry up style offense because guys were having trouble functioning even in the slow down offense still at the end of the year. That has to change.
Right. Guys were having trouble grasping the playbook, yet it was Rodgers who was rebelling against the system that others were having trouble figuring out. :rolleyes:
Utterly baffling how some completely disregard this point.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to wait till next season to see how Rodgers does. He looked to me that this past season he had troubles with accuracy and he was hesitant to run and did not look nearly as fast or as quick as in the past. Still, he did very well and am glad we have had and have him. I am just going to watch and see if he bounces back or if there is a general degrading of his skills. Maybe he will just change into a more Brady type player. But we better have good protection for him if that is the case. And he will need to sling it more.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Agreed. Here I was b*tching about that fact for a good part of the season. I didn't realize it was because they "couldn't". I just assumed that MLF didn't want Rodgers running the fast paced offense. I really hope it can be used in 2020. When you have a QB with the cognitive powers of an Aaron Rodgers, I think it is to the Packers advantage that you occasionally let him do his thing at a face pace and put the defense back on their heels.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He basically said the extent of their hurry up had to be saved for 2 min situations only, or they'd have nothing to run in that scenario because it was so limited.

D

Deleted member 6794

He looked to me that this past season he had troubles with accuracy and he was hesitant to run and did not look nearly as fast or as quick as in the past. And he will need to sling it more.

I guess Rodgers actually declined running the ball and I don't expect him to bounce back in that regard.

There's no reason for him to sling it more often as long as the receiving corps doesn't significantly improve though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Rodgers actually declined running the ball and I don't expect him to bounce back in that regard.

There's no reason for him to sling it more often as long as the receiving corps doesn't significantly improve though.
What I mean is that if he can't keep extending plays with his legs; he will have to trust his arm more. i.e., he will need to throw the ball more instead of worrying about interceptions. Don't get me wrong, I still want him to lead the league in fewest interceptions. It is just that I think he will have to throw more into smaller openings. I think it is more about trusting his arm than trusting his receivers. That is mostly an excuse imho.

D

Deleted member 6794

What I mean is that if he can't keep extending plays with his legs; he will have to trust his arm more. i.e., he will need to throw the ball more instead of worrying about interceptions. Don't get me wrong, I still want him to lead the league in fewest interceptions. It is just that I think he will have to throw more into smaller openings. I think it is more about trusting his arm than trusting his receivers. That is mostly an excuse imho.

Rodgers can still extend plays by scrambling away from pressure but he needs receivers on the same page to make plays in those situations.

There's no doubt the receiving corps lacked talent last season, that was definitely not a lame excuse for Rodgers struggling.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers can still extend plays by scrambling away from pressure but he needs receivers on the same page to make plays in those situations.

There's no doubt the receiving corps lacked talent last season, that was definitely not a lame excuse for Rodgers struggling.

Rodgers is supposed to be one of the absolute best QBs in the NFL. He is getting paid like one. It is a lame excuse for someone you are paying that much money for. Overthrown and underthrown balls happened all over the place. He got outplayed by close to a dozen QBs this past year. Your excuse, is a lame excuse in my opinion. If he was paid as much as Tom Brady, I wouln't speak out. He signed the highest QB contract at the time to be the best QB in the league. He hasn't been a top 5 QB, and arguably not a top 10 QB in the last 3 years. With another $10 million we could afford that second WR. Brady makes $10 million less than Rodgers. Rodgers needs to refund some money imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers is supposed to be one of the absolute best QBs in the NFL. He is getting paid like one. It is a lame excuse for someone you are paying that much money for. Overthrown and underthrown balls happened all over the place. He got outplayed by close to a dozen QBs this past year. Your excuse, is a lame excuse in my opinion. If he was paid as much as Tom Brady, I wouln't speak out. He signed the highest QB contract at the time to be the best QB in the league. He hasn't been a top 5 QB, and arguably not a top 10 QB in the last 3 years. With another $10 million we could afford that second WR. Brady makes $10 million less than Rodgers. Rodgers needs to refund some money imo.

Geez, Rodgers had one legit pass catcher to throw to in Adams for most of the season yet some of you continue to argue that it was mostly his fault the passing offense didn't perform up to expectations.

As a side note, you have to consider the two years that automatically void at the end of the 2019 league year into Brady's cap hit for last season which would increase that number to $35 million (Rodgers counted $29.35 million towards the cap in '19 after restructuring his contract in December). Yet the myth still exists that Brady is taking less money :rolleyes:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, Rodgers had one legit pass catcher to throw to in Adams for most of the season yet some of you continue to argue that it was mostly his fault the passing offense didn't perform up to expectations.

As a side note, you have to consider the two years that automatically void at the end of the 2019 league year into Brady's cap hit for last season which would increase that number to $35 million (Rodgers counted $29.35 million towards the cap in '19 after restructuring his contract in December). Yet the myth still exists that Brady is taking less money :rolleyes:
There were other QBs playing better with less talented WRs than AR wirked with. AR played poorly this season. Even my non Packer fan friends and family have all asked what is wrong with AR? They ask this not based on his stats but in watching him play.

If he played better, his other WRs would be legit.

Members online

Latest posts