The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*facepalm*
Gary come on, you had to have seen that coming. Again you're not the worst here, but surely you know that a decent amount see your opinions on the negative side in regards to Rodgers.

Reaction score
Quarterback A having a better statistical season than quarterback B doesn't automatically make QBA better than QBB. For instance, Ryan Tannehill is not a better quarterback than Aaron Rodgers despite whatever argument that one tries to make about the numbers.

Rodgers didn't have a particularly great season in year 1 of a new system with the worst supporting cast of pass catchers he's ever had.
Get Rodgers a legit tight end and another WR threat, and a lot of this Rodgers talk becomes moot.
Amen. We’re long overdue, so we either double down or use pick #30 in some capacity to lock down that WR.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone asked Danica about Rodgers's "performance" issues? Just wondering
I hear he's been doing one heck of a Smilin' Bob impersonation these days. More room in the sleigh and packing a full sack if you know what I mean.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary come on, you had to have seen that coming. Again you're not the worst here, but surely you know that a decent amount see your opinions on the negative side in regards to Rodgers.
i posted his actual numbers, a complementary article, and agreed with several sensable posts. what's negative about that?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i posted his actual numbers, a complementary article, and agreed with several sensable posts. what's negative about that?

LOL, someone posits a question, who's better than Rodgers, to which you post a couple links and say look, many are in many different ways and a "complimentary article" that has him listed behind Cousins, Tannehill LOL and Lamar "if he didn't have Ingram running the ball like a beast i wouldn't win many games" Jackson as more proof he's just middle of the road LOL

Then someone gave the most sensible post you'd ever need to read in response to yours which completely refutes your intention and you reply "absolutely" which begs the question, why post the links in the first place if you knew they proved nothing?

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't read the thread. This is my pure opinion as a Packers fan since 1989. Rodgers is a great quarterback. The Packers are lucky to have him slip so far in the draft. He has been a top 5 quarter back since his second year as a starter in my opinion. I still prefer the Favre years to his years, and that is mostly personality. They aren't polar opposites, but Favre was a slinger, you could see his emotion during a game, and took crazy risks. Rodgers is a tactician, his interception numbers are unreal. I don't think he is cold, I don't know the man personally, and he doesn't show those emotions.

Rodgers is a first ballot Hall of Famer. But he is in a decline. Thirteen wins is thirteen wins, and I am happy for the resurgance. He is not throwing the ball as well as he did 2 years ago. I watched the games, it is mental with him. Either a third of the time Green Bay's receivers are all running pick up football routes, and Rodgers is throwing exactly where he needs to but they aren't there, or he is in an obvious decline that Packers fans have to accept.

His 4 interceptions stat and 13 wins keeps him worth elite money. I can take the lower TD numbers with 13 wins and a playoff win. If the wins drop and we miss the playoffs I say he is no longer worth elite QB money. You can't pay a QB that much money and them get outperformed by multiple players on rookie contracts and expect to ever win a super bowl. The NYG rode Eli Manning down into oblivion. We shouldn't do the same with Rodgers. I don't think Eli could ever out perform Rodgers, nor could Flacco, but they got paid a bunch of money for superbowl wins and had season that were dismal after big pay days. Killing their organizations for multiple seasons due to their salary cap space. The new era favors building great teams and finding QBs in the draft or having a QB that takes much less than they could command to win rings (Brady). Rodgers window should be closing the next 2 years. We are in win now mode, or trade now mode. We can't afford to pay that much money and ignore developing future QBs for a QB that is clearly missing targets and in decline.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers window should be closing the next 2 years. We are in win now mode, or trade now mode. We can't afford to pay that much money and ignore developing future QBs for a QB that is clearly missing targets and in decline.

The Packers can't trade Rodgers at this point as the move would currently result in an additional cap hit of $24 million.

Jason Edens

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can't trade Rodgers at this point as the move would currently result in an additional cap hit of $24 million.

I understand. We are tied to him for the next two years at least. In 2022 the dead cap would be $17 million with a cap cost of $39 million. That would be the first year it would be financially viable. In 2023 the dead cap would be $2.8 million with a cap cost of $28 million. The way I see it the Packers have a two year window with him as are unquestioned starter. He plays smart with the ball not turning it over, and we are winning games. He is worth the money right now. I would love to see him back to his old self with his arm which for a few years was the best in the league and at times some of his throws were among the best ever. Hopefully it was just a product of a new system and receivers out of place, and not a sign that his accuracy is in a quick decline.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand. We are tied to him for the next two years at least. In 2022 the dead cap would be $17 million with a cap cost of $39 million. That would be the first year it would be financially viable. In 2023 the dead cap would be $2.8 million with a cap cost of $28 million. The way I see it the Packers have a two year window with him as are unquestioned starter. He plays smart with the ball not turning it over, and we are winning games. He is worth the money right now. I would love to see him back to his old self with his arm which for a few years was the best in the league and at times some of his throws were among the best ever. Hopefully it was just a product of a new system and receivers out of place, and not a sign that his accuracy is in a quick decline.

I fully expect Rodgers to perform at a higher level during his second season in MLF's system as long as Gutekunst improves the receiving corps for next year.

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers and pro treamate Max Homa finished 9th. at the Pebble Beach Pro Am which is pretty good considering Homa finished 14th. in pro scoring and blew up to +1 on Saturday and +4 on Sunday after a strong start. Here's Rodgers walking in about a 15 footer:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I'm looking for a big 2020 on the football field. ;)

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I think the best thing that could happen to Rodgers is for him to throw 3 INTs in Week 1 next season. He probably wants to become the first starting QB to ever throw zero INTs in a season. So throw 3 picks in game 1, and he can just sling it the rest of the season without caring about throwing zero picks or breaking the TD-to-INT ratio record.

H

HardRightEdge

Call me crazy but I think the best thing that could happen to Rodgers is for him to throw 3 INTs in Week 1 next season. He probably wants to become the first starting QB to ever throw zero INTs in a season. So throw 3 picks in game 1, and he can just sling it the rest of the season without caring about throwing zero picks or breaking the TD-to-INT ratio record.
OK, you're crazy. ;) I doubt throwing zero interceptions in a season is any kind of Rodgers objective. We've seen throws into sideline coverage that are psudo-punts, including one this season, where a pick is as good as a punt, in a risk-reward calculation.

"Just slinging it", with Winston being the most extreme example. isn't anything you want to see from your QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, you're crazy. ;) I doubt throwing zero interceptions in a season is any kind of Rodgers objective. We've seen throws into sideline coverage that are psudo-punts, including one this season, where a pick is as good as a punt, in a risk-reward calculation.

"Just slinging it", with Winston being the most extreme example. isn't anything you want to see from your QB.
Exactly.

I'm sure if Rodgers just threw it around more, there might be some more highlight plays. I'm also certain we'd have fewer wins. There are a lot of ways to win in this league, and getting takeaways and NOT turning it over was a big reason this less than supremely talented team was able to get to the NFCCG and win 13 regular season games and another playoff game.

likewise, IF this team has playmakers that have shown more often than not they can make a big play with the ball, Rodgers will give them chances. This team was not capable of scoring in bunches and turn any TO into points the next possession like KC does. Rodgers has thrown every pass imaginable and is still able to sling it around with the absolute best of them. He didn't forget how or become incapable. He's also probably one of the most cerebral QB's ever in this league. We've seen him give plenty of receivers chances to make a play on tight coverage over the years and was very successful with it. I've seen MVS on a contested pass, hell if i'm throwing into tight coverage to him on a 3rd down in the middle of the field. likely don't even get a chance to punt. None of these guys instilled confidence in me, I certainly don't blame Rodgers for not having it either.

Taking care of the ball is always important and this year more so than in years past as we didn't have an offense explosive enough to overcome a TO or 2 in many games.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And this is why we have to surround our veteran QB (I didn't want to say old...lol) with better offensive players than he had this past season. If we can find another guy like Adams and Sternberger continues to improve AR should be better in 2020. We also have to remember this year was the first time in his career that Rodgers had to learn a new offense and scheme. He should be more comfortable with this offense going forward too. He isn't the elite player he once was but he isn't chopped liver either. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

If we can find another guy like Adams and Sternberger continues to improve AR should be better in 2020.

Could we please stop acting as if Sternberger has shown anything justifying all the praise for him on this forum.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could we please stop acting as if Sternberger has shown anything justifying all the praise for him on this forum.

Then who do you think we should count on at TE? Bring back Graham? I don't see anyone in FA and this isn't a good year for that position in the draft. We took Sternberger in the 3rs round so there must be something there that they liked.