The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting. The Packers averaged 112 rushing yards per game, the Patriots averaged 106 rushing yards per game. Yeah that's just worlds apart, isn't it?

Interestingly enough...

Packers ran the ball 40.19% of the time, Patriots 40.64% of the time. Are we really going to make the argument that one team had a CONSIDERABLY better running game than the other?

Brady also had the #1 defense in the NFL that I can promise wouldn't have gotten their butt holes ripped open by the 49ers the way the Packers' did. And arguably the greatest football coach who ever lived.

But hey. What do I know?

They aren't great. But he's alluding to a full 18 game postseason sample size. It's historically worse than what any other quarterback has ever had to work with in the postseason.

Before you bring up interceptions, Rodgers has a lower interception % than Brady in the postseason.

You can allude to Rodgers' shortcomings all you want. He doesn't come without criticism in some of the playoff losses, but you absolutely cannot defend Rodgers' defense giving up the most points per game on average than any other postseason quarterback in history.

At least have the ability to be objective about it.

All of these numbers where Rodgers is better are in California in the history of his career? No WONDER New England is moving on...Brady didn't do squat ****!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's been a lot of criticism about not attempting to recover the fumble. Something no one has mentioned is that Rodgers was moving backwards when the ball was fumbled, it almost looked as if he were falling backwards, so he would have had to shift his weight forward before he could have dived for the ball. By that time maybe the play would have been over. I don't know, I don't really have any conclusions on that.

As for the "he bails on plays" criticism, I took that to refer to how he leads the league in throwaways. Better to throw it away than risk a sack or interception, but there are some who think he is too concerned with his TD/INT ration, which is about the only part of his game that hasn't really fallen off statistically. Like maybe he's grasping that one straw he has left.

As for the window, if Rodgers can play at a decent level for the next five years without falling off a cliff, I see no reason why the window shouldn't be open. If they can surround him with top talent like Elway and Manning were at the end of their career, I see no reason why Rodgers couldn't at least game manage a team to a Super Bowl win.

I don't know if he'll play that long though, even though he has said he wants to. For whatever reason, the press likes to dump on him, and some fans too. Add in the frustration that GB hasn't been able to surround with another Super Bowl quality team. He may just decide he doesn't want to deal with it at some point.

I've heard a couple of commentators (whose name I wouldn't know if you asked me) basically say "Wow, Aaron Rodgers, he only has one ring, what a loser". Not those words exactly, but that was the crux of it. As if having one ring isn't an accomplishment in itself. You don't hear people saying that about Brees. Something about Rodgers makes him a lightning rod for these kind of remarks.
the one person who always comes up for blame when discussing rodgers only having one SB ring is thompson (the Packers front office) and justifiably so. never heard anyone blame rodgers himself. that can't be applied to the thompson years and the team hasn't been good enough in the years since. he's always been cocky...which i liked. he backed it up and being the highest paid qb was cool as he was earning it. Packers outsiders never liked it though. now he's seen as, as you put it, "decent" but, over-paid, attitudinal, and can't back it up in his current state of self awareness. that's what's making him a target. he doesn't give crap what people think. he keeps feeding into that...going on danica's show for example. i think he's got a couple of decent years left. they've got to keep upgrading personnel, he's got to buy-in fully and yes "manage" the offense. I'm 100% certain he can do it at a higher level than 2018 goff or 2019 garoppolo who's offense MLF wants to run but looked nothing like ours for the most part. MLF has been very PC in his post season comments, towards the subject of his offense, as you'd expect. i'm ready for the draft and to see what next season brings...keeping expectations real. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's been a lot of criticism about not attempting to recover the fumble. Something no one has mentioned is that Rodgers was moving backwards when the ball was fumbled, it almost looked as if he were falling backwards, so he would have had to shift his weight forward before he could have dived for the ball. By that time maybe the play would have been over. I don't know, I don't really have any conclusions on that.
I think the same people criticizing that situation don't realize how many times they've probably went to turn a door knob and miss and can't stop themselves from walking right into the door. Now imagine you're trying to get thru that door with a 300lber after you and a 300lb door in front of you to go thru to get that ball. The ball didn' go backwards, it went forward right to the Defensive side of the line.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why don't people rag on Drew Brees all the time because he "only has one Super Bowl"? Seems like a week barely goes by that I don't hear somebody saying this about Rodgers. I suppose part of it is heightened expectations, but it seems a little unfair. As we've seen, it takes a lot of things going right at once to win a Super Bowl, you don't just pluck them off of trees.

The other part is probably the way Rodgers seems to have a knack for rubbing some people the wrong way. I don't really get it myself, but it seems to happen. I suppose it's just like how a lot of people can't stand listening to Troy Aikman.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The other part is probably the way Rodgers seems to have a knack for rubbing some people the wrong way. I don't really get it myself, but it seems to happen.
Looks like you answered your own question.

In my opinion, there's no way to place Brees significantly ahead of Rodgers with as many times as he's missed the playoffs. Sure, he's got the longevity records with the passing yards and touchdowns that Rodgers, lets face it, will never be able to reach due to sitting out the first three years and the time he's missed with the collarbone injuries. But Rodgers to me should be viewed as the better quarterback when all is said and done.

Put Rodgers in a spot where he plays at least 9 games in absolute perfect conditions with no wind (8 in NO, 1 in ATL) for the time Brees has been in NO and it would be ridiculous.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like you answered your own question.

In my opinion, there's no way to place Brees significantly ahead of Rodgers with as many times as he's missed the playoffs. Sure, he's got the longevity records with the passing yards and touchdowns that Rodgers, lets face it, will never be able to reach due to sitting out the first three years and the time he's missed with the collarbone injuries. But Rodgers to me should be viewed as the better quarterback when all is said and done.

Put Rodgers in a spot where he plays at least 9 games in absolute perfect conditions with no wind (8 in NO, 1 in ATL) for the time Brees has been in NO and it would be ridiculous.

I view Brees as the better QB because he has played at a consistently high level for just about his whole career. Rodgers has had some down periods in his career (part of 2015, and the last 2 seasons). Also, Rodgers has had some bad games in Detroit, and his career rating in domes is 105.2 vs 101.6 outdoors, so he's not ridiculously better in domes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I view Brees as the better QB because he has played at a consistently high level for just about his whole career. Rodgers has had some down periods in his career (part of 2015, and the last 2 seasons). Also, Rodgers has had some bad games in Detroit, and his career rating in domes is 105.2 vs 101.6 outdoors, so he's not ridiculously better in domes.
Rodgers in domes as a visitor .. Brees isnt

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you look at raw numbers, Brees kills it simply because he's been around longer. Look at %s and you get real story.

Factor in that Brees plays in a dome!

Winning Percentage

Drew Brees .595%
Aaron Rodgers .652%

Touchdown Percentage (TD%)

Drew Brees 5.4%
Aaron Rodgers 6.0%

Interception Percentage (INT%)

Drew Brees 2.3
Aaron Rodgers 1.4

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you look at raw numbers, Brees kills it simply because he's been around longer. Look at %s and you get real story.

Factor in that Brees plays in a dome!

Winning Percentage

Drew Brees .595%
Aaron Rodgers .652%

Touchdown Percentage (TD%)

Drew Brees 5.4%
Aaron Rodgers 6.0%

Interception Percentage (INT%)

Drew Brees 2.3
Aaron Rodgers 1.4
This is why I don't understand why people say Brees is the most accurate QB, shouldn't that title belong to Rodgers instead?

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why I don't understand why people say Brees is the most accurate QB, shouldn't that title belong to Rodgers instead?

Accuracy is easily determined by completion percentage. Therefore Brees is the most accurate of all-time.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Accuracy is easily determined by completion percentage. Therefore Brees is the most accurate of all-time.
Highly debatable point.

Throwaways need to be taken into account. Dropped passes. Air distance of throws, throws in which the QB throws it in the dirt to avoid sacks, etc. Quarterbacks that throw most of their passes within 5-10 yards of the line of scrimmage will obviously have a higher percentage typically than the quarterback that throws down the field more. Doesn't mean though that the higher percentage guy is the most accurate.

Tom Brady is 16th all time in career completion percentage. So does that mean he's the 16th most accurate quarterback of all time? Of course not. It's a narrowminded way of evaluating true accuracy.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highly debatable point.

Throwaways need to be taken into account. Dropped passes. Air distance of throws, throws in which the QB throws it in the dirt to avoid sacks, etc. Quarterbacks that throw most of their passes within 5-10 yards of the line of scrimmage will obviously have a higher percentage typically than the quarterback that throws down the field more. Doesn't mean though that the higher percentage guy is the most accurate.

Tom Brady is 16th all time in career completion percentage. So does that mean he's the 16th most accurate quarterback of all time? Of course not. It's a narrowminded way of evaluating true accuracy.
Plus another thing to take into consideration is how many times Brees throws the ball in comparison to his contemporaries. That's why I'm not too impressed with him breaking all these records. With the way the league is in regards to QBs and how many times Brees has thrown the ball, in my estimation he SHOULD have these records. Never have we considered Brees as the best QB in the league. He was one of the best but not THE best in the league.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the point of drafting WRs and TEs as long as Rodgers is our QB? He has trust issues with young players. He simply won't throw to them unless he has no choice. Do you think drafting a WR with our #30 pick this year will change that?

I said draft and free agency. There are some great WRs that can be targeted in free agency and even trade. I don't think TE is as essential as WR, with Sternberger and Tonyan on the roster, but there could be some potential for better TE play in the draft or free agency as well.

Also, Rodgers can trust a young WR. Look at MVS two seasons ago or Lazard this season. What he cannot do is trust a WR that can't put the work in to run better routes and get open.

Last, no I don't think drafting a WR with the 30th pick is the smart move. Never said that's what the Packers should do. However, do I think another WR playing at the level equaling or surpassing Adams can change our fortunes...definitely.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He passed up a lot of open receivers this year.

That was pretty funny, but there was some truth. Rodgers is still looking for chunk plays or the big play. He needs to really take the easy play, move the chains, and keep the O on the field winning the time of possession. More time on the field=fresher defense.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a Brees fan but he can be a stat hound. I've seen the Saints throwing deep when they are up by a couple of scores. I recall a game at Lambeau a couple of years ago after we played the Saints and you could hear Brees say to AR afterwards "why can't I beat you?" lol

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was pretty funny, but there was some truth. Rodgers is still looking for chunk plays or the big play. He needs to really take the easy play, move the chains, and keep the O on the field winning the time of possession. More time on the field=fresher defense.
Yeah, I'd much rather take a seven minute drive moving down the field five yards at a time, than score in 15 seconds. And boom, the defense is right back on the field. When our offense was so good, that was a "problem" we had.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's pretty much what I was saying.

Members online

Latest posts