The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have to make a serious push for offensive talent for Rodgers in the offseason. Jimmy's gotta go, we need two WR's to have a full three WR set again. One of Jace or Tonyan has to step up. I've lessened my stance that we need to draft Rodgers heir soon, I'd rather we give Rodgers all the weapons he can handle and then some and then see how he does. If he still holds the ball too long and fumbles every other time he's hit then he's gotta go.

We've been giving him new weapons. What makes you think his trust issues will magically disappear if we get others? As long as he has Adams, he's going to throw at Adams. Unless the two guys you put back with Adams are named Mike Evans and Michael Thomas, I don't think he's going to throw at them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bench Rodgers? Did I seriously read that? I mean like.....wtf? :eek:
People were calling to Trade Rodgers and start the Brett Hundley era during the year of "R-E-L-A-X"

they 've softened their stance this year to just a benching LOL

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People were calling to Trade Rodgers and start the Brett Hundley era during the year of "R-E-L-A-X"

they 've softened their stance this year to just a benching LOL

On another forum I post on there are a handful there who think Rodgers is past his prime and it is time to get what we can via a trade and move on. I told them to be careful what you wish for...

WillyP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My one concern about getting Adams back is the Aaron will go back to focusing on him and not continue to spread the ball around. I know that Adams is a pro-bowler but it seems to me that if Aaron continues to spread the ball then defenses won't know who to cover, right?

This was exactly my thought also, much to our dismay it has happened

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was exactly my thought also, much to our dismay it has happened

Rodgers' "trust" issue isn't about his receivers. It's about him and he needs to quit concerning himself with trust and start familiarizing himself with faith.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team IMO played better without Adams because Rodgers was forced to use them. Now it seems as though he is regressed. We'll see.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am not even sure what the problem is for AR. Less than 200 yards and just sinlge TD vs a team who's missing their star secondary player is worrisome. Add in the accuracy errors and the ever present 'holding too long' issues....this feels like AR has regressed from being one man team, to the one man holding the team back.

I know I'm too harsh on AR, but I really feel he needs to up his game down the home stretch.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents.

Aaron Rodgers is still every bit the player that he's always been in terms of capability. Maybe he's slightly less dangerous as a runner, but literally I think that's it in terms of his ability to play the position. His arm looks great to me, he still flashes those wow throws, and he can still extend plays.

Aaron Rodgers is not doing a great job of running the offense as designed right now. When he does, especially in the early portions of games when sequences are scripted, the offense hums. They are 3rd in first quarter scoring. When they get beyond the script, things stall in a bad way.

I think this explains why fans are so polarized on him-- some see him make the wow throws and think "same guy as ever." Others see him missing open options and generally being inefficient and think "not the same guy." I think both sides have a point.

The reason for this is anyone's guess. Is he bucking against Petals' system?

I think it's far more likely that it's all just new. A helpful parallel, in my opinion, is the 2015 Falcons. That was Shanahan's first season there as OC. He was installing a new system with an accomplished, veteran QB. The offense was 21st in scoring, inconsistent overall, and the team finished 8-8. The next year, the system really set in and clicked, the offense was 1st in scoring by a huge margin, Ryan was an MVP, and then Shanahan got poached. And it wasn't like it all fit hand in glove. Both Shanahan and Ryan talked about how they had to compromise to make the offense work for both of them.

I'm not saying that the Packers are going to set the league on fire in 2020 the way the Falcons did, but systems don't necessarily take hold and flourish immediately.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents.

Aaron Rodgers is still every bit the player that he's always been in terms of capability. Maybe he's slightly less dangerous as a runner, but literally I think that's it in terms of his ability to play the position. His arm looks great to me, he still flashes those wow throws, and he can still extend plays.

Aaron Rodgers is not doing a great job of running the offense as designed right now. When he does, especially in the early portions of games when sequences are scripted, the offense hums. They are 3rd in first quarter scoring. When they get beyond the script, things stall in a bad way.

I think this explains why fans are so polarized on him-- some see him make the wow throws and think "same guy as ever." Others see him missing open options and generally being inefficient and think "not the same guy." I think both sides have a point.

The reason for this is anyone's guess. Is he bucking against Petals' system?

I think it's far more likely that it's all just new. A helpful parallel, in my opinion, is the 2015 Falcons. That was Shanahan's first season there as OC. He was installing a new system with an accomplished, veteran QB. The offense was 21st in scoring, inconsistent overall, and the team finished 8-8. The next year, the system really set in and clicked, the offense was 1st in scoring by a huge margin, Ryan was an MVP, and then Shanahan got poached. And it wasn't like it all fit hand in glove. Both Shanahan and Ryan talked about how they had to compromise to make the offense work for both of them.

I'm not saying that the Packers are going to set the league on fire in 2020 the way the Falcons did, but systems don't necessarily take hold and flourish immediately.

We all have to remember Rodgers is playing in an entirely different offense than the one he played in all these years so it shouldn't surprise us if the offense sputters at times as the game goes along.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the last three weeks since he got his security blanket back, Rodgers has had tunnel vision. If you can, go back and watch the last three games and you will see multiple plays where other guys were wide open and instead he threw the ball to a covered or barely open Adams. The single biggest thing that needs to change is AR needs to stop worrying about the number on the jersey and reward whoever gets open. He also needs to quit worrying about his passer rating and loosen up just a little bit. I'd rather him throw the occasional INT 30 yards downfield than see yet another sack/fumble this season.
Aaron has became a predictable player, those games that Dvante was out Aaron had success because he was forced to play within the system. Aaron needs to do his job and distribute the ball to the open person and not just waiting on 17 to get open.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Aaron has became a predictable player, those games that Dvante was out Aaron had success because he was forced to play within the system. Aaron needs to do his job and distribute the ball to the open person and not just waiting on 17 to get open.

This story does not add up.

Last week, Adams led the team in targets by a wide margin, and it helped the offense a ton. Rodgers threw to him 10 times, and 8 of those targets resulted in a first down or a touchdown. The offense scored 31 on the road. Hyper-targeting Adams was the best part of the offense!

This week, Rodgers targeted 10 different pass catchers. Jones led the team with 7, Adams had 6, Graham had 5, Lazard had 3, and six other players had one. That's balanced distribution if I've ever seen it. The offense scored 20 at home, despite having a great running game going.

So how do you make the case that Adams has stifled the offense? It's lazy analysis. People saw Adams return and it coincided with two wretched road games in which the entire offense, especially the offensive line, got its butt whooped and decided that correlation is causation and created this silly narrative.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dantes is probably spot on about this

I think the game in Minneapolis, which I'll be at btw :), will answer a lot of questions

At this point AR has admitted he needs to step up and that will also be the 15th game of the season.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking glass half full

Typically in seasons where he isn't hurt, AR usually has some kind of 4-5 game stretch where he just puts up ~250+ yards, 3-4 touchdowns and 110+ qb rating for some stretch

And he basically just carries the team.

He has had some good games, but he hasn't had that stretch/run yet

If he can get that going come week 16/17 and carries it into the playoffs then we will be golden

12/10 - fixed

Last edited:
Reaction score
We all have to remember Rodgers is playing in an entirely different offense than the one he played in all these years so it shouldn't surprise us if the offense sputters at times as the game goes along.
I think that’s exactly our problem. We are so used to a version of Aaron with more Offensive receiving weapons. Over the last 8 years we’ve gotten spoiled with guys like Jordy, Jennings, Driver, JJ, Cobb and Ty several which overlapped with Davante more recently. Since last year all are gone but Davante. So we’ve got a bunch of mid-late round rookies types and some UDFA’s paired with one great receiver in Davante.

While it’s nice to utilize the RBs in the passing game more it still doesn’t compensate for the loss of higher grade receiving weapons. If anything, that should be a compliment to those weapons verses a replacing to compensate for down production. It generally takes a couple years to get a QB in sync with a good receiver to begin with. Let alone completely switching Offensive systems on those mostly novice players after 1 season.

We’re very fortunate to be at 10 wins this early. We also bought much needed time to adapt, apply and counter to a new playbook. I just hope 4-5 more weeks is enough time to fine tune our deficiencies. While Aaron may not be 2011 Aaron anymore, he’s still good enough to punish teams given appropriate time and resources.

Last edited:

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that’s exactly our problem. We are so used to a version of Aaron with more Offensive receiving weapons. Over the last 8 years we’ve gotten spoiled with guys like Jordy, Jennings, Driver, JJ, Cobb and Ty several which overlapped with Davante more recently. Since last year all are gone but Davante. So we’ve got a bunch of mid-late round rookies types and some UDFA’s paired with one great receiver in Davante.

While it’s nice to utilize the RBs in the passing game more it still doesn’t compensate for the loss of higher grade receiving weapons. If anything, that should be a compliment to those weapons verses a replacing to compensate for down production. It generally takes a couple years to get a QB in sync with a good receiver to begin with. Let alone completely switching Offensive systems on those mostly novice players after 1 season.

We’re very fortunate to be at 10 wins this early. We also bought much needed time to adapt, apply and counter to a new playbook. I just hope 4-5 more weeks is enough time to fine tune our deficiencies. While Aaron may not be 2011 Aaron anymore, he’s still good enough to punish teams given appropriate time and resources.

All of this. Lazard is our 2nd best WR and he only recently has come on and honestly its sad that he's our #2. I've said from the beginning that MVS is a one route player, Geromino is below average, we had Shepard out there, Graham is a shell of his former self, Adams was out for large stretches and right now defenses can solely key on him. A Jones and Adams are the ONLY offensive guys who you gotta plan for. That's it. No one else.

Myself and others have been beating the door to grab a solid #2 and we would legit be Tier 1 Super Bowl contenders.. It was a mistake from Gute, for all the positives that he's done this was a glaring miss

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not an entirely different offense. it's mostly the old O...lots of spread formations and shotgun, rodgers holding the ball and looking for the big play. MLF's O looks like sf and lar. bunch formations, quick, rhythm passing (keyword quick), less shotgun, lots of running (from those same bunch formations), sustained drives. as for rodgers sputtering he has been for several seasons. he has moments of the old brilliance but taken as a whole he's lost quite a bit. still good (10th or so). needs to come to a realization and adjust his game accordingly...the way brees and brady have. MLF's O would be perfect for him. he'd take a lot less sacks.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Arod has had some problems in games skills have slipped a tad, everyone knows Father Time has the longest undefeated streak, more talent around the offense would help his decision making out a lot..

H

HardRightEdge

Thinking glass half full

Typically in seasons where he isn't hurt, AR usually has some kind of 4-5 game stretch where he just puts up 300yards, 3-4 touchdowns and 120+ qb rating for some stretch.
Feel free to prove me wrong but I don't think that has ever happened, by Rodgers or anybody else.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arod has had some problems in games skills have slipped a tad, everyone knows Father Time has the longest undefeated streak, more talent around the offense would help his decision making out a lot..
A few of the younger guys have supplanted him. He's still capable of some amazing things, but the consistency isn't there. Age seems to have caught up to him a bit. I wonder if we'll ever see the old Rodgers, maybe if we add a few more weapons on offense. Favre had one of his best years in his penultimate season, so it's possible.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thinking glass half full

Typically in seasons where he isn't hurt, AR usually has some kind of 4-5 game stretch where he just puts up 300yards, 3-4 touchdowns and 120+ qb rating for some stretch

And he basically just carries the team.

He has had some good games, but he hasn't had that stretch/run yet

If he can get that going come week 16/17 and carries it into the playoffs then we will be golden
I see it that the 2019 team is lacking the receiving talent. Adams is good but no one goes up and pulls down the ball like in the Jordy and Jennings years. And the TE position is slower than molasses. This is the first season in which Rodgers top pass catcher is a running back. That has not happened since Favre had to use Ahman Green. Rodgers had it good when he had the Big 5. Someone was always open. So now he has to sit back and hope too much of the time.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not an entirely different offense. it's mostly the old O...lots of spread formations and shotgun, rodgers holding the ball and looking for the big play. MLF's O looks like sf and lar. bunch formations, quick, rhythm passing (keyword quick), less shotgun, lots of running (from those same bunch formations), sustained drives. as for rodgers sputtering he has been for several seasons. he has moments of the old brilliance but taken as a whole he's lost quite a bit. still good (10th or so). needs to come to a realization and adjust his game accordingly...the way brees and brady have. MLF's O would be perfect for him. he'd take a lot less sacks.

If this offense we are running this year isn't all that different from what we've been using all these years why does AR have an arm band on his wrist with the plays displayed on it?

D

Deleted member 6794

Feel free to prove me wrong but I don't think that has ever happened, by Rodgers or anybody else.

Just for the record, there hasn't been a single quarterback who has thrown for 300 or more yards while having a passer rating of at least 120 in more than three consecutive games.

D

Deleted member 6794

Am not even sure what the problem is for AR. Less than 200 yards and just sinlge TD vs a team who's missing their star secondary player is worrisome. Add in the accuracy errors and the ever present 'holding too long' issues....this feels like AR has regressed from being one man team, to the one man holding the team back.

While Rodgers hasn't performed at an elite level consistently it's ridiculous to suggest that Rodgers is holding the team back.

It will take spoiled Packers fans some time to get used to the team having to start a quarterback like Daniel Jones or Dwayne Haskins to appreciate the quarterback play this team has been used to over the past 28 seasons.

I think that’s exactly our problem. We are so used to a version of Aaron with more Offensive receiving weapons. Over the last 8 years we’ve gotten spoiled with guys like Jordy, Jennings, Driver, JJ, Cobb and Ty several which overlapped with Davante more recently. paired with one great receiver in Davante.

I just hope 4-5 more weeks is enough time to fine tune our deficiencies.

Unfortunately I don't believe another four or five weeks in the system will significantly improve the passing offense.

As a side note, Montgomery shouldn't be included in the list above.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this offense we are running this year isn't all that different from what we've been using all these years why does AR have an arm band on his wrist with the plays displayed on it?
terminology has changed and to get the plays called in the huddle faster (hoping to avoid a delay of game penalty...not that it's worked very well lol).