What's our main problem?

• Total voters
OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate the thought that Jones has been the MVP of the Packers. He's played excellent. But this operation goes absolutely no where without 12.

Agree in general, but beg to differ in specific.

The D and Jones were performing enough for us to win even when AR12 and rest of O were dusting themselves off at starting line.

This is by means discounting the value of having AR12 in team, but just to emphasize that our reliance on AR12 is significantly lesser than earlier seasons. Rather than AR12 carrying the team, we are now in a position where the team can carry itself and AR has freedom to be the x factor differential that makes him elite.

Also on a separate note, I think under MLF, we would perform better with the backup QB than we had under MM. Touch wood, we don't get to see that anytime soon!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agree in general, but beg to differ in specific.

The D and Jones were performing enough for us to win even when AR12 and rest of O were dusting themselves off at starting line.

This is by means discounting the value of having AR12 in team, but just to emphasize that our reliance on AR12 is significantly lesser than earlier seasons. Rather than AR12 carrying the team, we are now in a position where the team can carry itself and AR has freedom to be the x factor differential that makes him elite.

Also on a separate note, I think under MLF, we would perform better with the backup QB than we had under MM. Touch wood, we don't get to see that anytime soon!
If you're trying to insinuate we would win more if you remove Rodgers and keep Jones, as opposed to the opposite, then you've done fell plum off the turnip truck. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

The only non-quarterbacks in the last 25 years that have won the MVP award:

1997: Barry Sanders had over 2,300 all purpose yards and split the award with Favre.

1998: Terrell Davis 2,225 all purpose yards (2,008 rushing) and 23 total touchdowns.

2000: Marshall Faulk had over 2,400 all purpose yards with 1,000+ rushing and a 1,000+ receiving.

2005: Shaun Alexander had 28 total touchdowns and nearly 2,000 all purpose yards.

2012: Adrian Peterson came within 8 yards of the all time rushing record in 2012 when he won it.
You forgot one, LaDainian Tomlinson in 2006:

2323 yards from scrimmage on 404 touches while setting the NFL record for TDs (31) and breaking Hornung's 46 year old single season scoring record.

In arguably the single greatest non-QB offensive season in the post-merger era, while playing for a 14-2 team, Brees got 4 votes and P. Manning got 2.

When Shaun Alexander won the prior year as you noted, setting the NFL TD record at the time for a 13-3 Seattle team, he earned 19 of 50 votes. P. Manning was second with 13 votes and then Brady with 10.

The bar for a non-QB is exceptionally high. Even a 2,000 YFS / 20 TD season would require a group of QBs closely bunched in the voters' eyes who would split the vote as in Alexander's season.

Or consider Gurley's 2018 season: 318 touches / 1831 yards / 21 TDs. Mahomes got 41 votes, Brees the other nine, Gurley zero. Those numbers wouldn't register at all even in a split QB vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers’ passer rating when targeting each receiver:
  1. J. Kumerow: 145.1
  2. A. Lazard: 134.8
  3. J. Williams: 131.4
  4. A. Jones: 126.3
  5. D. Vitale: 118.8
  6. J. Graham: 118.5
  7. M. Lewis: 111.8
  8. D. Adams: 106.6
  9. M. Valdes-Scantling: 105.7
  10. G. Allison: 96.7
  11. D. Shepherd: 16.7

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree the Packers are less dependent on Rodgers to carry the team this season. I highly doubt they would fare well with Boyle starting though.

Aaron Rodgers’ passer rating when targeting each receiver:
  1. J. Kumerow: 145.1
  2. A. Lazard: 134.8
  3. J. Williams: 131.4
  4. A. Jones: 126.3
  5. D. Vitale: 118.8
  6. J. Graham: 118.5
  7. M. Lewis: 111.8
  8. D. Adams: 106.6
  9. M. Valdes-Scantling: 105.7
  10. G. Allison: 96.7
  11. D. Shepherd: 16.7

With Rodgers currently having a passer rating of 106.7 I don't think that numbers add up.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Rodgers currently having a passer rating of 106.7 I don't think that numbers add up.
Sometimes I only report the math, I don't always do it. ;) Seems his numbers are a bit off of what I see for targets on another site.

Anyway, use the information as you like or just for kindling for your next fire.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just reading the 49ers forum to get some opposition thoughts...

Our defense is built to stop teams like the packers/rams/patriots etc. It is the mobile QB we struggle with.

Need to get the running game going again and the defense shutdown a far less mobile QB than what they faxed the past 3 weeks.

Rodgers isn't a Wilson or Murray type. We should get 5+ sacks on him. 10-1

Fortunately Rodgers is not particularly mobile so that should play well into our defensive strengths.

Calling Rodgers "not mobile" just feels weird when he's so comfortable or even more dangerous out of pocket than in.

Looks like Lamar Jackson has become the new definition for "mobile qb".

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ICalling Rodgers "not mobile" just feels weird when he's so comfortable or even more dangerous out of pocket than in.
Yeah, that is an odd statement. Bizarre, even.
Rodgers does take a lot of sacks though, so maybe they're saying they are going to be able to get to the QB.

H

HardRightEdge

Sometimes I only report the math, I don't always do it. ;) Seems his numbers are a bit off of what I see for targets on another site.

Anyway, use the information as you like or just for kindling for your next fire.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Some thoughts on this data:
  • Adding up the TDs in that chart confirms this data is supposed to be through Week 8.
  • The total completions shown = 177; Rodgers actual completions = 185. Something is missing.
  • The total yards shown = 2,218; Rodgers actual passing yards = 2424. Something is missing.
  • The total targets shown = 244; Rodgers actual attempts = 283. Something is missing. It would stand to reason at least throwaways are excluded from the receiver data regardless.
  • INTs are not included in the table but I did verify they are included in the calculations for MVS and Shepherd.
  • Setting aside the issue of missing data, if we plug the sums of the data in the chart into a passer rating calculator (including the two INTs not shown) we get Rodgers' passer rating = 118.5 chiefly on 72.5% completions in the table data.
The data discrepancies raise enough question to invalidate the data. I would not quote this guy again without verifying the data first. I could have stopped at the completions totals and left it at that.

There is a point to be made, however, when looking at receiver passer rating. It stands to reason the various compilers of this data would exclude uncatchable balls, some combination of throwaways, throws well out of bounds, throws well out of the back of the end zone or grounding throws. How strict one compiler might be compared to another is a matter of subjectivity on some throws.

The takeaway should be that comparing QB passer rating to receiver passer ratings is apples to oranges. If 100.0 is regarded as the dividing line between good QBs and the second tier, the bar for receivers needs to be higher given some incompletions and groundings are not likely included in their data.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Calling Rodgers "not mobile" just feels weird when he's so comfortable or even more dangerous out of pocket than in.

Looks like Lamar Jackson has become the new definition for "mobile qb".
Yeah, that's what you get for quoting some forum. ;) Seriously, this guy evidently conflates "mobile" with "fast". It's not all that uncommon despite being wrong. Commonly held beliefs are frequently wrong as if that needs to be said.

I've never actively read another team's forum. The closest I've ever gotten is clicking on a link in these pages if that ever happened.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that's what you get for quoting some forum. ;) Seriously, this guy evidently conflates "mobile" with "fast". It's not all that uncommon despite being wrong. Commonly held beliefs are frequently wrong as if that needs to be said.

I've never actively read another team's forum. The closest I've ever gotten is clicking on a link in these pages if that ever happened.

I find it good to read some opposing views no matter how ridiculous I find them.

And mobile, fast and dual threat are terms I find often conflated. Rodgers is ok on sneak, but not a proper rushing QB.

H

HardRightEdge

And mobile, fast and dual threat are terms I find often conflated. Rodgers is ok on sneak, but not a proper rushing QB.
Rodgers is mobile chiefly in being slippery in escaping the pocket to extend the play, more quick witted and quick footed than fast.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers needs to revise the way he plays. It's obvious to me this year that he isn't quite as mobile as he has been in the past- he just isn't escaping the rush as effectively as he once did. He's not bad at it, and he's still above average in terms of mobility. But there are consistently a few plays which get blown up where I think Rodgers would have made something out of nothing in the past. Petals needs to design more quick passing routes and Rodgers needs to get rid of the ball faster.

Reaction score
Hiring a young/new coaching staff, I'm sure it wouldn't long when Matthew Patrick LaFleur
will have his next QB in his sights.
Just so he don't out-stay his welcome in Green Bay like Mike McCarthy did and we'd have bench Rodgers half-way through a season.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have to make a serious push for offensive talent for Rodgers in the offseason. Jimmy's gotta go, we need two WR's to have a full three WR set again. One of Jace or Tonyan has to step up. I've lessened my stance that we need to draft Rodgers heir soon, I'd rather we give Rodgers all the weapons he can handle and then some and then see how he does. If he still holds the ball too long and fumbles every other time he's hit then he's gotta go.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have to make a serious push for offensive talent for Rodgers in the offseason. Jimmy's gotta go, we need two WR's to have a full three WR set again.
See? Lots of holes to plug. And don't forget the OL. And there are questions on defense too. I don't know if we have enough resources to plug all these leaking holes.

Ron Wolf said his biggest regret was not getting Favre more weapons.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See? Lots of holes to plug. And don't forget the OL. And there are questions on defense too. I don't know if we have enough resources to plug all these leaking holes.

Ron Wolf said his biggest regret was not getting Favre more weapons.

As an aside, I don't think Favre needed more weapons. I think he needed Holmgren to stick around for ten more years. That's a different discussion though.

I agree about the resource allocation conundrum. It's really only a problem if you're approaching building a team via TT's method. I think you can more quickly build a contender the way Gute is trying to go about things, stockpile in the draft and supplement in free agency. If we land on two WR's next year and get a MLB through free agency, for example, we'd be on our way to filling a lot of holes.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an aside, I don't think Favre needed more weapons. I think he needed Holmgren to stick around for ten more years.
You're definitely right about Holmgren. There was a period of time there though, where we were a little light at receiver.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
maybe a little light at receiver at times, but really good with RB's and an excellent offensive line. We had pretty versatile TE's and an excellent defense. There are a lot of ways to win in the NFL, Favre had plenty to work with.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hiring a young/new coaching staff, I'm sure it wouldn't long when Matthew Patrick LaFleur
will have his next QB in his sights.
Just so he don't out-stay his welcome in Green Bay like Mike McCarthy did and we'd have bench Rodgers half-way through a season.

Without a better option no coach is gonna bench his best player at an important position, especially QB. I doubt benching Rodgers for Boyle has ever been seriously considered these past few weeks. I'm sure the FO is going to be on the lookout for our next QB mainly because Rodgers isn't a spring chicken. He probably can still play for a couple more years but if a good one becomes available I hope Gute is as bold as TT was. I recall a lot of folks were upset when Ted took Rodgers in 2005 even tho we had Favre and we needed to fill other positions.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have to make a serious push for offensive talent for Rodgers in the offseason. Jimmy's gotta go, we need two WR's to have a full three WR set again. One of Jace or Tonyan has to step up. I've lessened my stance that we need to draft Rodgers heir soon, I'd rather we give Rodgers all the weapons he can handle and then some and then see how he does. If he still holds the ball too long and fumbles every other time he's hit then he's gotta go.

How many times has Rodgers fumbled when he got hit? I can recall a few times when it was a miracle he didn't fumble when he got blasted back there.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Receivers need to get open for that to work though.

Over the last three weeks since he got his security blanket back, Rodgers has had tunnel vision. If you can, go back and watch the last three games and you will see multiple plays where other guys were wide open and instead he threw the ball to a covered or barely open Adams. The single biggest thing that needs to change is AR needs to stop worrying about the number on the jersey and reward whoever gets open. He also needs to quit worrying about his passer rating and loosen up just a little bit. I'd rather him throw the occasional INT 30 yards downfield than see yet another sack/fumble this season.

Members online

Latest posts