The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the other day he said he's on the 18 hole. wonder if he's on his 2nd shot or putting for birdie? would probably be a good idea to draft a qb this year or next. heard they would have drafted drew locke but denver got in their way.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just being loose with numbers, I probably should have said 3+ touchdowns, ~250+ yards passing(AR has never really been a big yards guy), 110+ QB rating...

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting take on Rodgers play lately. Obviously dissecting one play doesn't mean an awful lot in the grand scheme, but was worth a watch IMO...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah AR hasn't been that good this year...

i think despite the talent drop, which is obvious if you don't have guys like Nelson, DD, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, etc to throw to anymore, AR would "normally" have about 28-30 touchdown passes by now and more yards

His numbers are down

But even with that said, I mean he's still on pace for what 28 touchdowns and 4,000 passing yards

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was an interesting take on Rodgers play lately. Obviously dissecting one play doesn't mean an awful lot in the grand scheme, but was worth a watch IMO...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Stick to video Ben, you're not analyst. As soon as Rodgers gets to his set point read and throw, there is a guy at his left plant foot shoving bulaga back. There is 30 yards of opens space with everyone looking at a receiver down field. I have absolutely zero ****ing issue with him taking off to run. 1 guy was able to get his meat hooks into him and stop him as he tried running by. This analysis is ****, though. It is. It's crap and if that's the best this guy can cherry pick, then boo to him. Stick to producing video.

He has zero clue about being on a football field.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i think despite the talent drop, which is obvious if you don't have guys like Nelson, DD, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, etc to throw to anymore, AR would "normally" have about 28-30 touchdown passes by now and more yards

His numbers are down

But even with that said, I mean he's still on pace for what 28 touchdowns and 4,000 passing yards

Right, but we basically have Stafford now. Not so bad, but not a top tier guy. We need more offense around him to elevate him statistically. Hopefully, two WR's to start off the draft coming up!!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stick to video Ben, you're not analyst. As soon as Rodgers gets to his set point read and throw, there is a guy at his left plant foot shoving bulaga back. There is 30 yards of opens space with everyone looking at a receiver down field. I have absolutely zero ******* issue with him taking off to run. 1 guy was able to get his meat hooks into him and stop him as he tried running by. This analysis is ****, though. It is. It's crap and if that's the best this guy can cherry pick, then boo to him. Stick to producing video.

He has zero clue about being on a football field.

Take a breath.

One can just as easily criticize Rodgers lack of pocket awareness, he could have shuffled to his left and tossed a laser down field. I don't know that prime Rodgers makes that throw, but it seems he gave up and ran and didn't get the right read on the play. Which was Ben's point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a breath.

One can just as easily criticize Rodgers lack of pocket awareness, he could have shuffled to his left and tossed a laser down field. I don't know that prime Rodgers makes that throw, but it seems he gave up and ran and didn't get the right read on the play. Which was Ben's point.
lack of pocket awareness LOL what pocket. that thing that squeezed in before he even set his feet?

had there been more people nearer the LOS, he probably tries sliding around and buying more time. But it was wide open for a long ways. Tucking it down to run was not a bad decision. Ben doesn't know what he's talking about.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lack of pocket awareness LOL what pocket. that thing that squeezed in before he even set his feet?

had there been more people nearer the LOS, he probably tries sliding around and buying more time. But it was wide open for a long ways. Tucking it down to run was not a bad decision. Ben doesn't know what he's talking about.

If he backs up and moves left he has time to make the throw IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he backs up and moves left he has time to make the throw IMO.
and if 1 guy doesn't happen to latch 1 freaking strong meat hook into him at the last possible second, now far is he running. seriously, look at all that green, wide open space in front of him.

What's the higher percentage play, by a lot? Long pass down field under pressure, or the wide open spaces. Ben is wrong, and if that's the best he can cherry pick, he needs to stick to producing video, not analyzing it.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but we basically have Stafford now. Not so bad, but not a top tier guy. We need more offense around him to elevate him statistically. Hopefully, two WR's to start off the draft coming up!!

Well Stafford without the interceptions! :)

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and if 1 guy doesn't happen to latch 1 freaking strong meat hook into him at the last possible second, now far is he running. seriously, look at all that green, wide open space in front of him.

What's the higher percentage play, by a lot? Long pass down field under pressure, or the wide open spaces. Ben is wrong, and if that's the best he can cherry pick, he needs to stick to producing video, not analyzing it.

I don't really agree. Rodgers took the easy route and wasted a play because he was caught from behind. Not only that I'm not so sure Rodgers should be looking to take off with his fumbling lately.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think another thing to consider is that this is still pretty much ALL NEW as far as plays, route combos, verbiage, etc

Sure there are somethings that MLF has allowed AR to keep and take over, I'm sure this is the case

But generally speaking, this is mostly ALL NEW as far as the offense and playbook.

I wouldn't be suprised if AR "gets hot" eventually.... or to see him put up 4500/45touchdowns/100+ rating next year

We will just have to see.

I am really more focused on NOW though and this season and I'm glad that AR has ADMITTED that he NEEDs to step up and so we will see

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really agree. Rodgers took the easy route and wasted a play because he was caught from behind. Not only that I'm not so sure Rodgers should be looking to take off with his fumbling lately.
he was caught more from the side as he went thru than from behind. That guy wouldn't have caught him from behind once he was going. You're right, he did take the easy route, because what's usually the wasted play? Long pass down field under pressure? or running to wide open spaces?

What was it? 3rd and 15? I might agree, he probably should have slid, found time and threw it to someone. 1st and 15? make it 2nd and 5 at a minimum on a gimme run. he made a pretty solid choice, no matter how much ben wants to lead people to think otherwise. Rodgers is alread avoiding rush before the safety he says is the read commits up or back.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was caught more from the side as he went thru than from behind. That guy wouldn't have caught him from behind once he was going. You're right, he did take the easy route, because what's usually the wasted play? Long pass down field under pressure? or running to wide open spaces?

What was it? 3rd and 15? I might agree, he probably should have slid, found time and threw it to someone. 1st and 15? make it 2nd and 5 at a minimum on a gimme run. he made a pretty solid choice, no matter how much ben wants to lead people to think otherwise. Rodgers is alread avoiding rush before the safety he says is the read commits up or back.

I think it's just one opinion amongst many out there. I just thought it was interesting as I don't think I've heard a lot of people questioning his reasoning lately. Literally every play can be dissected. This guy writes for The Athletic, if anything else comes up that's interesting I'll try to summarize.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
had he thrown it in a timely manner (2-3 seconds like he's supposed to) they were open and he'd have had an easy completion. it's one play but it's competent, accurate, analysis and he's not the only who's harped on this for years. guys come open quickly on almost every play. he just doesn't throw it. discount him if you wish but he's right on.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's just one opinion amongst many out there. I just thought it was interesting as I don't think I've heard a lot of people questioning his reasoning lately. Literally every play can be dissected. This guy writes for The Athletic, if anything else comes up that's interesting I'll try to summarize.
he pours over every Packers game. that's one of his jobs. everyone, other than the writers employed by the Packers, have written about this. MLF wants the ball out quick/on-rythum. his dilemma since his hiring is to get Rodgers to believe this stuff. he's shown he can. he just keeps falling back into the bad habits. maybe next year.

H

HardRightEdge

I was just being loose with numbers, I probably should have said 3+ touchdowns, ~250+ yards passing(AR has never really been a big yards guy), 110+ QB rating...
He's done that only once, in 2012. Came very close in 2011, 3 yards short. It's not an annual thing by any stretch.

His numbers are down.

Statistically speaking, this has been an average Rodgers season to date. Completion %, Yards per Attempt, and TD% are slightly below career averages. This is offset by a very low INT% this season. 103 QB Rating for his career, 102 QB Rating this season.

You guys appear to be interpreting peak performance as the average.

On thing has changed in recent years which should be evident: the higher number of throwaways and overthrows reflect a heightened emphasis on avoiding INTs. Turnovers are very bad in case anybody was wondering.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
had he thrown it in a timely manner (2-3 seconds like he's supposed to) they were open and he'd have had an easy completion. it's one play but it's competent, accurate, analysis and he's not the only who's harped on this for years. guys come open quickly on almost every play. he just doesn't throw it. discount him if you wish but he's right on.
That’s funny right there.

you know whats called, a half second better protection and both guys are open and probably hit for an over 20 yard pass.

But if you’re pushed off your mark by 2 seconds that’s not good and those weren’t 3 step drop and hit tour target routes. You’re as clueless as Ben lol.

no wonder you have the opinions you do lol

D

Deleted member 6794

No quarterback in NFL history has ever thrown for at least three touchdowns, 250 yards and recorded a passer rating of 110 in five consecutive games either.

D

Deleted member 11740

His numbers are down

Your analysis of this misses one major factor that hasn’t been talked about and explains Rodgers yards and TD figures being below average.

AARON JONES & JAMAAL WILLIAMS

Jones - 15 TDs - 12 rushing TD. Which is about 10 more than a RB has had since Lacy in 2014 by Rd 14. So there’s 10 TD removed from Aaron which he normally would have had to throw.

Williams - 6 TDs - 1 rushing TD. Going to ignore this because Kuhn used to get 1-2 per year.

So if you add on 10 passing TDs stolen by Jones and say 300 Rushing yards stolen by Jones and Williams on those TDs Rodgers stats after Rd 14 would be circa:

3560 yards
33 TDs
2 Ints
120 passer rating

which would put him on track for equaling almost a career year with 3 games to go. Oh and remember it’s his first season in a brand new offence with only 1 real proven catching threat!

We are 10-3.

Let’s just take a chill pill and enjoy how this season plays out.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
the other day he said he's on the 18 hole. wonder if he's on his 2nd shot or putting for birdie? would probably be a good idea to draft a qb this year or next. heard they would have drafted drew locke but denver got in their way.
Not to disappoint you, but that’s not what he said. He said that he can see the 18th hole coming up. I know you’re salivating at the thought of Rodgers retiring, but it’s gonna be a little while before that happens.

Actually when asked to clarify, he said he’s made the turn. So he’s somewhere on the back 9. They say the Masters doesn’t begin until Sunday on the back 9, so there’s some fireworks left.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to disappoint you, but that’s not what he said. He said that he can see the 18th hole coming up. I know you’re salivating at the thought of Rodgers retiring, but it’s gonna be a little while before that happens.

Actually when asked to clarify, he said he’s made the turn. So he’s somewhere on the back 9. They say the Masters doesn’t begin until Sunday on the back 9, so there’s some fireworks left.
But if you run everything said thru the Garytranslator 5000 he basically said he's done. He's used up, washed up and barely hanging on. Oh, every play that doesn't work is because Aaron called it, or he ran the wrong one. That is how the Garytranslator 5000 works. It cuts thru the crap and tells you what is really being said and happening.