The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The two provisions are not mutually exclusive. The NFL might try to use the standard contract provision as an out if the start of the season is suspended, while the CBA provision would force a negotiation into reduced e cap in the subsequent year.

If you hung your hat solely on the CBA provision, and the entire season were to be cancelled leaving 2020 revenue near zero, the implication would be that there would be near zero $ in the player cap pool for 2021 which is of course impossible.

Of course taking the two provisions together there is still a massive hole: start the season on time, play one game or a few, and then have to cancel the rest. The 2021 cap reduction to offset lost 2020 revenue would be massive and still untenable. To illustrate, the dead cap on the Packer roster for 2021 as things stand now is $98 mil. There are only a couple of players whose 2021 dead cap is greater than their 2021 cap numbers, specifically Gary and Savage being the ones with dollar differences of note. If you lose half the 2020 season, and significantly more than half the revenue, while cutting the 2021 cap in half or more to make up the difference, the Packers probably wouldn't get to a roster of Gary, Savage and 51 minimum salary rookies after cutting everybody else. The entire league is in the same boat, give or take.

As things stand now, even if playing all the games for TV with sharply reduced attendance to enforce some kind of social distancing, the revenue shortfall would be massive still. Only about 50% of NFL revenue last season came from TV with the lions share of the rest from the stadiums: tickets, skyboxes, concessions, parking, merchandise, associated interests like the Titletown district and Hall of Fame which are fairly common these days among franchises. Those asscociated interests are probably being slammed already with reluctance to travel among the general public.

If one were to assume a default to a full season of TV games, 20% butts in seats, no preseason revenue, and sharply diminished stadium and ancillary property revenue, that's still an untenable amount of lost revenue to be carved out of 2021 cap while also paying all contracted 2020 money. The NFL and NFLPA would have to throw that provision out the window and spread the cap loss over multiple years.
Thanks HRE. Even if all 16 games are played, if there are no fans, there’s no fan-derived revenue as you outline. So the owners either suck it up and take the loss, or Share the loss with players through reduced salaries. I like the second option, only because it seems the most fair.

As for implementing such a plan, I wouldn’t want to be Russ Ball right now.......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no way to prove it either way but do you honestly believe NFL players can completely dismiss their personal situation once they get on the field???
Although I’m retired now, in my career events in my personal life certainly had some impact on my work, for better or worse. It’s unrealistic to think pro athletes are any different. It’s just a hard thing to quantify.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found this today which pretty much gives an overall summary of The Playoff history during Rodgers' time as a Packers. A lot of painful memories and overall I think this proves that Rodgers wasn't the reason why we lost most of those games as some people like to believe.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of painful memories and overall I think this proves that Rodgers wasn't the reason why we lost most of those games as some people like to believe.
A lot of missed opportunities, and it's depressing how long it's been that our defense has sucked.
Lol at "Tom Brady would have healed his collarbone with his will to win". History is written by the winners.

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of missed opportunities, and it's depressing how long it's been that our defense has sucked.
Lol at "Tom Brady would have healed his collarbone with his will to win". History is written by the winners.

It's interesting to note that Brady's career playoff passer rating (89.8) is only slightly above the one of Rodgers' in eight losses (89.3).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yet another contract signed today that bumps Aaron Rodgers down the list another spot when it comes to contracts.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...him-second-highest-paid-qb-in-nfl-per-report/

The highest-paid QB in the NFL on average money per new year:

1. Patrick Mahomes: $45M
2. Deshaun Watson: $39M
3. Russell Wilson: $35M
4. Ben Roethlisberger: $34M
T-5. Aaron Rodgers: $33.5M
T-5. Jared Goff: $33.5M

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I imagine this thread will start to heat up in the coming weeks. I couldn't help but notice this PFF article from May and that was BEFORE Funchess Opted out. Once the 2020 season starts, unless the Packers have a last minute signing, I would be comfortable in saying that Aaron Rodgers, for the second straight year, will be working with one of the worst 5 receiving groups in the NFL.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-nfl-season-receiving-corps-rankings

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I imagine this thread will start to heat up in the coming weeks. I couldn't help but notice this PFF article from May and that was BEFORE Funchess Opted out. Once the 2020 season starts, unless the Packers have a last minute signing, I would be comfortable in saying that Aaron Rodgers, for the second straight year, will be working with one of the worst 5 receiving groups in the NFL.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-nfl-season-receiving-corps-rankings

I think on paper, before any snaps you'd be hard pressed to find as much of an unproven group as ours....honestly I wonder if there is a more unproven or experienced group than ours.....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think on paper, before any snaps you'd be hard pressed to find as much of an unproven group as ours....honestly I wonder if there is a more unproven or experienced group than ours.....

I think the Packers group from 2019 is pretty close. However with that group you had more experience with GMO, Kumerow and Graham.

Needless to say, Rodgers is once again being asked to make wine out of water, lets hope Adams stays healthy and the rest of the receiving group is as good as Gute and coaches apparently think they are.

What I find a bit bizarre is that the Packers rank 13th in cap allocation to the WR position. They have $19.268 M of their cap towards the 5 receivers on the 53. Of course, this is very top heavy, with Davante accounting for $16.475M or ~85% of it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/breakdown/

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers group from 2019 is pretty close. However with that group you had more experience with GMO, Kumerow and Graham.

Needless to say, Rodgers is once again being asked to make wine out of water, lets hope Adams stays healthy and the rest of the receiving group is as good as Gute and coaches apparently think they are.

What I find a bit bizarre is that the Packers rank 13th in cap allocation to the WR position. They have $19.268 M of their cap towards the 5 receivers on the 53. Of course, this is very top heavy, with Davante accounting for $16.475M or ~85% of it.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/breakdown/

I am guessing if someone could take the time to extract the top paid WR from each team and then compare...we'd have to be bottom 5.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am guessing if someone could take the time to extract the top paid WR from each team and then compare...we'd have to be bottom 5.

For sure, unless another team has all late round rookies and UDFA's

Remove Adams and you have this:
  1. MVS: $804,388
  2. ESB: $704,602
  3. Lazard: $675,000
  4. Taylor: $610,000

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does this forum have an 'ouch' emoji?

:eek:

Not to bring Captain in here screaming, but the combined salaries of the 4 wide receivers not named Davante Adams is far less than what Mason Crosby makes.

$2,793,990 VS Crosby's $4.3M

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean in all honesty if we get to be a week or two before the trade deadline and our WRs are not illustrating the growth the staff and Gute hope...I personally pray Gute feels the heat on his *** to make something happen and get a legit #3 WORSE case in town through a trade.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers will look good Sunday. And so the receivers will have to look decent also. Can't all go to Davante.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I mean in all honesty if we get to be a week or two before the trade deadline and our WRs are not illustrating the growth the staff and Gute hope...I personally pray Gute feels the heat on his *** to make something happen and get a legit #3 WORSE case in town through a trade.

Much like he did after Adams went down with an injury last season? ;) I think he signed WR Ryan Grant mid October and not sure, but I don't think Grant had a catch last year?

Also, I wouldn't rely on trying to pick up a guy mid-season. First, who is going to be available, second how much is he going to cost us and probably the most important, how long will it take him to learn our offense and get in sync with Rodgers? Gute made his bed in Free Agency and the Draft, time to see how he did I guess.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am still really trying to understand the apparent passivity on the WR list.

When Adams was hurt, the Pack went 4-0. So the GM and coach feel confident that if Lazad, EQS, and MVs get just a little better and if Sternberger and Degara contribute more than the TE position did last year, then the contribution from the receiving corps will be better this year. This is the idea, right?

Add in some basic consistency that was missing last year, and GB should score more than last year.

So why don't we feel confident?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

When Adams was hurt, the Pack went 4-0. So the GM and coach feel confident that if Lazad, EQS, and MVs get just a little better and if Sternberger and Degara contribute more than the TE position did last year, then the contribution from the receiving corps will be better this year. This is the idea, right?

Add in some basic consistency that was missing last year, and GB should score more than last year.

Only speaking for myself, just look around the league at some of the WR groups on teams. We have one of the best QB's in the game and all we can give him is Davante Adams? I think all Packer fans hope that Lazard, MVS and ESB are all going to be great WR's, but until they prove it, on a consistent basis, its just a hope. Much like GMO, MVS and Davis were last season. I liken it to having one of the best race car drivers in the world and sticking him a car with one really good tire and the other 3 were purchased at the second hand store and everyone is holding their breaths and praying that they can keep the car moving around the track.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Look outside the vacuum of record only. Look at opponents we played, look at quality of performance within those games, take into account the INSANE season Jones had (doubt he repeats, he will be solid for sure...but...)....

It isn't as easy as saying a record deems something truth.

I am high on EQ, I am confident MVS is not going to be overwhelmed and collapse like last year...I'm actually higher on them than Lazard being by season's end. However, I want a bonafide #2.

You put ANY WR from our roster not named Adams on another team, ANY team, and I'd argue you'd be hard pressed to find a team they walk into the #2 spot....you may find 3-5 that they would have maybe a chance at competing for it. We have a collection of #3s and #4s (albeit with massive upside) trying to be a #2 for one of the GOATs at QB...

H

HardRightEdge

For all the folks who wanted or expected audibling taken out of Rodgers hands, here's something from a Demovsky note from about 6 hours ago:

"[Rodgers has] pretty much got free rein," Packers coach Matt LaFleur said, adding that he has "complete trust" that Rodgers can get them out of a bad play or a bad look.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

I tried to warn you but you wouldn't listen. It didn't even need to be said but now you have it from the horse's mouth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For all the folks who wanted or expected audibling taken out of Rodgers hands, here's something from a Demovsky note from about 6 hours ago:

"[Rodgers has] pretty much got free rein," Packers coach Matt LaFleur said, adding that he has "complete trust" that Rodgers can get them out of a bad play or a bad look.

I tried to warn you but you wouldn't listen. It didn't even need to be said but now you have it from the horse's mouth.

but but but.....how are people going to get away with saying that Rodgers and LaFleur don't get along and Rodgers is uncoachable?

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pretty sure facts won’t dissuade them lol.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fake news. It's a Chinese conspiracy.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

It's baffling that some feel Rodgers shouldn't have what every single other elite quarterback in the NFL has...the ability to audible.

You don't waste an all time proven talent that is about to start his 13th season in the NFL by handicapping him.

Members online

Latest posts