The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the part of the CBA about cancelled games:

Cancelled Games. If one or more weeks of any NFL season are cancelled or AR for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action.

I'm quite sure the NFL wouldn't be able to not pay players solely based on the article PFT talked about.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's the part of the CBA about cancelled games:

Cancelled Games. If one or more weeks of any NFL season are cancelled or AR for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action.

I'm quite sure the NFL wouldn't be able to not pay players solely based on the article PFT talked about.
The two provisions are not mutually exclusive. The NFL might try to use the standard contract provision as an out if the start of the season is suspended, while the CBA provision would force a negotiation into reduced e cap in the subsequent year.

If you hung your hat solely on the CBA provision, and the entire season were to be cancelled leaving 2020 revenue near zero, the implication would be that there would be near zero $ in the player cap pool for 2021 which is of course impossible.

Of course taking the two provisions together there is still a massive hole: start the season on time, play one game or a few, and then have to cancel the rest. The 2021 cap reduction to offset lost 2020 revenue would be massive and still untenable. To illustrate, the dead cap on the Packer roster for 2021 as things stand now is $98 mil. There are only a couple of players whose 2021 dead cap is greater than their 2021 cap numbers, specifically Gary and Savage being the ones with dollar differences of note. If you lose half the 2020 season, and significantly more than half the revenue, while cutting the 2021 cap in half or more to make up the difference, the Packers probably wouldn't get to a roster of Gary, Savage and 51 minimum salary rookies after cutting everybody else. The entire league is in the same boat, give or take.

As things stand now, even if playing all the games for TV with sharply reduced attendance to enforce some kind of social distancing, the revenue shortfall would be massive still. Only about 50% of NFL revenue last season came from TV with the lions share of the rest from the stadiums: tickets, skyboxes, concessions, parking, merchandise, associated interests like the Titletown district and Hall of Fame which are fairly common these days among franchises. Those asscociated interests are probably being slammed already with reluctance to travel among the general public.

If one were to assume a default to a full season of TV games, 20% butts in seats, no preseason revenue, and sharply diminished stadium and ancillary property revenue, that's still an untenable amount of lost revenue to be carved out of 2021 cap while also paying all contracted 2020 money. The NFL and NFLPA would have to throw that provision out the window and spread the cap loss over multiple years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I am pretty sure that this is only if the season has started. Players yearly salaries are locked in once the first game is played. No season, no salaries. Let's put it this way, if the season looks like it is in jeopardy, but teams are still forced to pay players on the team, you are going to see a lot of players purged, especially ones in the final year of their contract.

The two provisions are not mutually exclusive. The NFL might try to use the standard contract provision as an out if the start of the season is suspended, while the CBA provision would force a negotiation into reduced e cap in the subsequent year.

Yup.....I can't imagine owners wanting to actually start the season, if there was a good chance that it couldn't be finished. I can't imagine they aren't talking about it right now and will work out some kind of "if this happens....then this" and just about every other contingency they can think of. This is pretty much an odd year for most everybody and I don't expect that to change for the NFL either.

If they do play, even with a lot of testing, a lot of players are going to get COVID-19. Whether they are hit hard or are asymptomatic, they will be out for a specified time. Rosters are going to be really interesting to watch on a weekly basis.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am pretty sure that this is only if the season has started. Players yearly salaries are locked in once the first game is played. No season, no salaries.

While that might be your interpretation as well as the NFL's the CBA doesn't specifically state it.

Yup.....I can't imagine owners wanting to actually start the season, if there was a good chance that it couldn't be finished.

I'm quite sure the owners are well aware of the fact that there's a decent chance the season could be discontinued even if deemed safe enough to start at some point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While that might be your interpretation as well as the NFL's the CBA doesn't specifically state it.

I'm quite sure the owners are well aware of the fact that there's a decent chance the season could be discontinued even if deemed safe enough to start at some point.

Maybe over in Austria, but in the U.S. you might be surprised as to how some are perceiving and treating this situation. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe over in Austria, but in the U.S. you might be surprised as to how some are perceiving and treating this situation. ;)

I'm aware as I have read a lot about it. It's turning for the worse in Austria as well at this point with a lot of people not understanding the crisis isn't over.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm aware as I have read a lot about it. It's turning for the worse in Austria as well at this point with a lot of people not understanding the crisis isn't over.

I read where hundreds in Austria have filed a class action lawsuit against Austrian authorities, claiming the government waited too long to lock a ski resort down, allowing COVID-19 to spread with deadly consequences.

I can see this happening in the U.S., people who were opposed to lock downs in the first place deciding "what the hell, I am cashing in on this, I went to a Football game and got really sick."

The NFL has to be thinking long and hard about the black eye this would leave them if having a season results in deaths that are directly tied to that opening. They aren't trying to win fan support or an election, so it might come down to "can we financially survive a year with no games?".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I read where hundreds in Austria have filed a class action lawsuit against Austrian authorities, claiming the government waited too long to lock a ski resort down, allowing COVID-19 to spread with deadly consequences.

True, that happened at the beginning of the pandemic with local authorities not reacting for several days despite having clear evidence that the virus spread in one of the largest ski resorts in Austria resulting in infections all over Europe.

The Austrian government locked down the country as one of the first in Europe though, keeping the numbers in check until 1 1/2 weeks ago. Unfortunately it seems they relaxed some of the rules a bit early with cases being up again over the past 10 days.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
filing class action lawsuits because the gov't didn't keep them healthy, we've reached a new low in humanity.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a separate note, It always amuses me that people still consider a players romantic life to be a factor in his on field performance. It's like players should not have a family!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a separate note, It always amuses me that people still consider a players romantic life to be a factor in his on field performance. It's like players should not have a family!
I wasn't implying that his performance off the field was due to his romance with Danica. I simply was saying hopefully this will work to our advantage.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's naive to believe that a player's private life doesn't have an affect on his performance on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's naive to believe that a player's private life doesn't have an affect on his performance on the field.

Totally. That is human nature. What happens off the field can have both positive and negative impacts on a persons life and what they do on the field. How people deal with it varies from person to person. These aren't machines playing the game and just like you and I, what happened at home last night, might affect today, tomorrow and next week.

How a split with Danica affects Aaron? Who knows, probably depends on how happy Aaron is about that split, but I do think it will affect him, good or bad.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How a split with Danica affects Aaron? Who knows, probably depends on how happy Aaron is about that split, but I do think it will affect him, good or bad.

Fans were blaming Olivia, then were concerned when they broke up. Now concerned about Danica and then concerned they broke up. damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fans were blaming Olivia, then were concerned when they broke up. Now concerned about Danica and then concerned they broke up. damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
Who was he dating when he won the Super Bowl? Maybe he should get back with her?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read that his **** stache is a more reliable indicator of how well he does on the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Every player has a personal life. It's only in extreme cases that it affects game time. The exception rather than the rule.

Once again, a player's private situation definitely has an impact on the performance on the field. As Poker correctly pointed out those aren't machines playing the game.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, a player's private situation definitely has an impact on the performance on the field. As Poker correctly pointed out those aren't machines playing the game.

Well in this case, I don't think ARs personal life has impacted his game at all. It's all made up by media and fans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I read that his **** stache is a more reliable indicator of how well he does on the field.
Is it just me or does he seem to grow that "**** stache", when he is about to break up or is single? Hmmmmm.....makes you wonder.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well in this case, I don't think ARs personal life has impacted his game at all. It's all made up by media and fans.

There's no way to prove it either way but do you honestly believe NFL players can completely dismiss their personal situation once they get on the field???