The Aaron Jones Show?!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Until Mr. Jones is in another jersey, we can't be sure of that.

Currently Jones would count $20 million against the cap in 2023. With the Packers saving $10 million of cap space by moving on from him after this season I consider that to be a no-brainer. It might be possible to hold on to him if he agrees to take a significant pay cut though. But I don't expect that to happen.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers saving $10 million of cap space by moving on from him after this season I consider that to be a no-brainer.
Nobody knows what the final cap figure will be next year.

Also, I am confident that there will be another adjustment to lower Jones' cap once again.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, I am confident that there will be another adjustment to lower Jones' cap once again.

It doesn't matter how much the cap rises of the 2023 season, there's no way the Packers keep a running back who splits snaps with another one while counting $20 million against it. While it's possible to reduce his cap hit once again he would need to agree to a significant pay cut for it to make sense.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how much the cap rises of the 2023 season, there's no way the Packers keep a running back who splits snaps with another one while counting $20 million against it. While it's possible to reduce his cap hit once again he would need to agree to a significant pay cut for it to make sense.
So there's no way yet there's possibilities Cap?

D

Deleted member 6794

So there's no way yet there's possibilities Cap?

You need to realize that keeping Jones with him counting $20 million against the cap and him agreeing to take a significant pay cut to reduce the cap hit to stay with the Packers are two different things.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to realize that keeping Jones with him counting $20 million against the cap and him agreeing to take a significant pay cut to reduce the cap hit to stay with the Packers are two different things.
I do recognize that.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To disagree with your statement that AJ33 won't be with Packers for the 2023 season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way Dillon will get featured more than Jones unless he gets injured.

He just signed an extension and it would be foolish to think Jones isn't gonna get a whole lot of volume dependent on his cap hit.
I agree but I'm not the one who said Jones could lead the league in total yards and Dillon could get 1000.

If one of them gets hurt It is possible the other could accomplish what you said but if they both stay healthy I doubt either will get enough touches for both to happen. Dillons 1000 yards maybe but like Captain said even if Jones gets the bulk of the work its doubtful he leads the league.

For each of the last six seasons the player who ended up leading the league in scrimmage yards eclipse 2,000 yards. I highly doubt Jones would be able to achieve that feat while not rushing for at least 1,000 yards as I don't expect him to have more than 1,000 receiving yards.

Agreed

I'm not sure that's what you meant but I don't believe either Dillon or Jones will get anywhere close to leading the league in yards from scrimmage next season.

What I meant by one or the other was Dillon's 1000 yards OR Jones' leading the league not one or the other back.

I agree with this as well. My whole premise was based on the comment that Dillon could have 1000 yards and Jones could lead the league in total yards. With both healthy and splitting carries I just don't think its realistic for both to happen although Dillon is far more likely to have 1000 yards than Jones leading the league. If one gets injured the odds of the other accomplishing either feat goes up but leading the league is still unrealistic in any case.

I hope MLF let's Dillon split the carries with Jones.

I really expected Dillon to hit 1,000 yds last season.

Hopefully, he will this season.

Aaron Jones has a good chance at being the 2022-2023 NFL leader in scrimmage yards.

This is the original post I replied to. I read it as Dillon getting 1000 yards AND Jones has a chance to lead the league. I also take split the carries to mean something close to 50/50, maybe 60/40. I don't think there has ever been a case where 2 RBS get equal carries where one leads the league in total yards and the other gets 1000 yards. If I misinterpreted your post I'm sorry.

If they do split carries I could see Dillon maybe getting 1000 yards but there is no way Jones leads the league.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For 2023. I think there is a big difference from taking a pay cut and just throwing away the old contract. The bonus was $13M. So over two years $6 1/2M. Along with $1 salary around $8M per year for the two years. 2023 with huge salary and roster bonus would pay him around $16M. So I don't think that was ever the plan. Depending on Jones still being an xlnt back; I imagine we would try and make a very similar contract and throw away the old one. Anyway, that is 2023.
edit: So there would be the $6 1/2M from the guaranteed bonus to deal with I guess. But that is only for salary cap considerations.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whereas of course we can debate possibilities of yards running and receiving; the important thing will be how the two headed monster will do. With all the games we play these days, and with both staying healthy; I would think there could be a good chance we could get somewhere in the record books for a running back tandem.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jones is probably going to be in that same position as Z Dog was. Too big of a cap hit to justify keeping, with a much cheaper option behind him. Depending on Hill's health and what the Packers think of him, we may see Gute swing for a RB mid to late rounds, a RB that he feels is similar to Jones. As long as Dillon continues to progress and they find his eventual backup, as much as I like AJ, he will be expendable in 2023.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way Dillon will get featured more than Jones unless he gets injured.

He just signed an extension and it would be foolish to think Jones isn't gonna get a whole lot of volume dependent on his cap hit.

Last season was when he signed the extension prior to, not this year.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones was drafted in 2017, TT's last draft. So his rookie deal would have been up after the 2020 season.
He signed his 4 year deal for 2020-2021 and this season his cap hit triples.

I was more focused on the cap hits than the signing bonuses and guarantees.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
He signed his 4 year deal for 2020-2021 and this season his cap hit triples.

I was more focused on the cap hits than the signing bonuses and guarantees.
He signed his 4 year deal on March 26, 2021. His cap hit is only $5.9M this year and jumps to $20M next year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The extension kicks in this year...

Oh dear lord, no one says a when a players extension kicks in as any relevancy to expectations changing. He signed that thing last March or if he hadn’t he would have been gone…

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I think it's much more likely they draft a RB this year that will replace Jones for the 23 season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones will be gone next year. Count on it. The Packers can't afford to keep him. Let's hope they get something for him. Dillon will do a good job as the #1. They will find someone, possibly in this draft, to replace him as the #2. #3 might be someone like Vardell coming as a UFDA after this draft.

Anyhow, that's what I see in my crystal ball.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Much easier said than done. Our two headed monster is great. Jones is special. Both with what he can do and intangibles.
I'm not saying they can find anyone in this draft that can equal Jones value to the team. I'm thinking along the lines of finding someone with similar physical traits. If that guy comes in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of later, I'm fine with that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying they can find anyone in this draft that can equal Jones value to the team. I'm thinking along the lines of finding someone with similar physical traits. If that guy comes in the 2nd or 3rd round instead of later, I'm fine with that.

Honestly RBs are found everywhere in a draft and their very devalued anymore because of how everyone is finding fourth, fifth and later even.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones will be gone next year. Count on it. The Packers can't afford to keep him. Let's hope they get something for him. Dillon will do a good job as the #1. They will find someone, possibly in this draft, to replace him as the #2. #3 might be someone like Vardell coming as a UFDA after this draft.

Anyhow, that's what I see in my crystal ball.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
So that is what you look like.

Members online

Latest posts