Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that is true. I think this has been the plan all along.
Absolutely right. That's just not how (good) NFL teams operate. They don't make major changes to the entire franchise on a knee-jerk basis.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

he had help..

I said b4....this Ted news was talked about last year in Nov...I am sure the team knew...Re signing the two players dont just happen in a week...They might have been working on it for a few weeks..So im sure Mark and others knew it was coming and would have happened with Ted leaving or not
Right. These signings involve a significant cash expenditure, a large budgetary matter. At no time would Murphy not sign off even if only a perfunctory nod.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

McCarthy has got to be ******** bricks. He knows he is now on the hot seat and has been exposed without Rodgers.
I've got a feeling McCarthy is in the drivers seat. If I had to bet, I'd say he comes out of this with more say in personnel matters.

H

HardRightEdge

I doubt that is true. I think this has been the plan all along.
Right. It's called being "kicked upstairs". They could not bring themselves to outright fire the guy because of potential backlash. Remember when they wanted to pay Favre some ungodly sum like $10 mil to do some nothing job?

Some special assistant to the CEO type deal is in the cards. Or maybe Yoda Emeritus that people nod to but mostly ignore.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I am happy, but I wish this could have happened before Adams and Lindsley got overpaid.

He's had his share of bad moments, but what he built with the 2009-2010 team won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Next big question is, will the next GM (Elliot Wolf?) keep McCarthy?

Adams was overpaid, sure, but Linsley deserves what he got and I couldn't be happier for him.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has got to be ******** bricks. He knows he is now on the hot seat and has been exposed without Rodgers.

Sorry to break it to you, but if there was any intention of firing MM they would have done it simultaneously with firing Capers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Adams was overpaid, sure.

It seems that way on the surface but reviewing available free agent receivers Adams would of been the best one at probably the peak of his career hitting free agency. He probably could of fetched even more $ on the open market. I mean the guy put up respectable numbers with Brett Hundley. That's pretty impressive.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that way on the surface but reviewing available free agent receivers Adams would of been the best one at probably the peak of his career hitting free agency. He probably could of fetched even more $ on the open market. I mean the guy put up respectable numbers with Brett Hundley. That's pretty impressive.
Yeah but players wanna win too what Green Bay has is Aaron Rodgers and I GUARANTEE that’s brought up in contract stuff and plus Adams knows that... all that money is a sheeet ton... he is staying where he is comfortable and a elite qb that’s how they save some money...

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Parking attendant?
I'm just not sure he knows where the parking lot is on any given day.
I would have preferred that they would have put him on the first bus smoking.
Hopefully he will be in no position in which he could influence the Green Bay Packers ever again.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. Didn't expect this so soon. TT did a great job here. I'm thankful for him. He was a good GM.

Best of both worlds that he gets to stay on (probably in a scouting role) and we get a new GM. Hopefully we see more of an emphasis on free agency, and ideally the GM hires better coaches.
Thompson DID NOT do a great job in Green Bay!
Have you forgotten what this team without Aaron Rodgers has been.
Thompson has built an 8-8 team at best when Rodgers is out of the equation.
That's not a "great job".

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time.

Ted knows more about football than any of the self-anointed experts that have an opinion on a message board (including myself), but now seems like a good time for him to move on to some sort of advisory role and let another take over as GM. many are thinking that person is Eliot Wolf, and it may be, but I wouldn't rule out Russ Ball.

It's going to be an interesting off-season.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like Wolf is the leading candidate..

Also now rumblings of Schneider from Seattle.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of keeping TT fpr talent evaluation. That was and still is his strenght.
Then get Elliot Wolf the GM job and with that you most likely keep Gutekunst and Highsmith in the organisation. These guys need to stay here, then we have a nice front office personnel.
Elliot is so talented, he needs to get that GM position in GB. If hat does not happen, they F****d up. I read that Elliot has a more aggressive style, compared to TT. That is something, that was missing GB over the years and I would be glad, when we keep that in house.

New DC and assistents and I think we can look positively into the next season

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson DID NOT do a great job in Green Bay!
Have you forgotten what this team without Aaron Rodgers has been.
Thompson has built an 8-8 team at best when Rodgers is out of the equation.
That's not a "great job".

Well yeah the offense is built to Rodgers specifications. Consider the retention of Jordy Nelson or the acquisition of players like Adams and Allison. Guys who run precise routes and read defenses the way Rodgers does, but not real burners or playmakers. On defense Thompson probably should have forced McCarthy's hand years earlier. However let's not forget that Thompson drafted Rodgers and steered this franchise through the end of Favre's career, he brought in Woodson and Pickett, drafted Matthews Nelson Jennings and Collins, acquired Tramon Williams and a bunch of other role players and built a Super Bowl winner. TT's ending may not have been great but give the man some credit for his tenure.

I kind of wonder if the passing Offense doesn't have some of the weaknesses of Capers defense, that it's not user friendly for receivers.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like Wolf is the leading candidate..

Also now rumblings of Schneider from Seattle.

Wolf is probably too young for their tastes, probably prefer Brian with his experience.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf is probably too young for their tastes, probably prefer Brian with his experience.
That's my issue with this organization. They seem petrified of putting someone who doesn't have decades of experience into any role. The Capers experiment should show that experience is meaningless if the status quo is perpetuated. Stubbornness, egoism, and apathy are commonplace for so-called experienced individuals and it holds a team back. Fresh blood that is motivated and creative is what creates and sustains success in businesses, especially ones as complex as NFL teams.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's my issue with this organization. They seem petrified of putting someone who doesn't have decades of experience into any role. The Capers experiment should show that experience is meaningless if the status quo is perpetuated. Stubbornness, egoism, and apathy are commonplace for so-called experienced individuals and it holds a team back. Fresh blood that is motivated and creative is what creates and sustains success in businesses, especially ones as complex as NFL teams.

Capers' ingenuity was a major factor in our Super Bowl win, his over night transformation of that defense was critical. The problem the amount of leash given to Capers despite the obvious warning signs, the breakdowns in big moments and the obvious confusion among our players for decades now. Thing is when he simplified things in 14 and 15 he had a pretty good unit again, but he couldn't help himself and went back down the same old direction in 16 and 17. IMHO we might have won another Super Bowl if not for MMs refusal to adapt to top notch man cover defenses. His spread ISO had been solved by Seattle and others but that didn't stop him from sticking with it, it took a similar offensive collapse in 15 before he started using more man beater route combinations.

Hands

In the land of the blind, the one eye man is king
Reaction score
People keep saying Elliot is so talented....how do you determine that? What has he done? The only thing I have seen is his glee when they drafted Thorton the DE from Southern Miss and he was a bust.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to see Mr. Thompson go, but it was time. TT was a great GM and its a damn shame many showed him so little respect. I know most posters here have no idea what a GM all does. They think it's all just about draft picks and signing guys. Anyway, he was a tremendous asset and very highly respected by everyone he worked with and throughout the NFL and college ranks. And that meant something very positive for the Packers.

But it was time. In the last 2 years I saw a significant decline in his health - based on his appearance and motor skills. I am certain this was on his terms and was planned for some time.

I imagine his new role will be a step above GM, just making sure the new GM fits comfortably into their new role gradually.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People keep saying Elliot is so talented....how do you determine that? What has he done? The only thing I have seen is his glee when they drafted Thorton the DE from Southern Miss and he was a bust.
The Wolf love is because he is related to a former successful GM. Name recognition is the highest level of cognitive capability available to many posters.

"But but but they promoted him, they must like him"

It was Ted Thompson who promoted him. So TT must like him. So maybe EW was doing what TT liked, which is what many posters here hate.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well yeah the offense is built to Rodgers specifications. Consider the retention of Jordy Nelson or the acquisition of players like Adams and Allison. Guys who run precise routes and read defenses the way Rodgers does, but not real burners or playmakers. On defense Thompson probably should have forced McCarthy's hand years earlier. However let's not forget that Thompson drafted Rodgers and steered this franchise through the end of Favre's career, he brought in Woodson and Pickett, drafted Matthews Nelson Jennings and Collins, acquired Tramon Williams and a bunch of other role players and built a Super Bowl winner. TT's ending may not have been great but give the man some credit for his tenure.

I kind of wonder if the passing Offense doesn't have some of the weaknesses of Capers defense, that it's not user friendly for receivers.
Okay, I'll give him credit up to 2011, but since then Ted Thompson has been hideous.
Even a blind squirrel fins a nut every now and then.
The 2013 and 2017 seasons without Aaron Rodgers should be overwhelming evidence for how much Ted Thompson has really sucked.
He has built an 8-8 team at BEST!

Status
Not open for further replies.