Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This is probably posted somewhere, but I didn't see it.

Thompson will be the Packers’ senior advisor to football operations, the Packers announced Tuesday
New GM: "Ted, where is your rolodex? I need to call some one for about a player. Thanks. And here is that stack of tapes of junior college offensive linemen you asked for. I'll close the door behind me so no one bothers you again this week."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I actually am glad TT is being retained in some capacity. His love for the Packers and his knowledge hopefully will be well used and benicficial.

He took some hits in the past year or two on his abilities to draft, sign the right Packer FA's and sign the correct non-Packer FA's as well as building a team with solid depth. Those decisions will most likely be in someone else's hands now.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently Mark Murphy claims that there is no truth in the Bob McGinn report that the board directed him to relieve Thompson.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as who the new GM is, why not just promote Elliot Wolfe already?
He didn't fill out the internal job opening slip with HR yet? 48-72 hour waiting period?
Haven't decided which of the 4 candidates they really want? I sense a power struggle at the BoD level.
Trying to pry Schneider out of Seattle, McKenzie out of Oakland, Dorsey out of Cleveland?
Does the minority candidate Rooney Rule apply at this level?
Ted barricaded himself atop the Jumbotron and they are still talking him down?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we sure Wolf won't just be more of the same TT?

Well, doesn't appear so far that any of his former assistants have been a carbon copy. So long as TT as a senior advisor isn't trying to GM from up in the round table room, I'm thinking Wolf might at least change up the scouting strategy and sprinkle in a few trade and FA deals.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, where TT struggled was with free agency and contracts (to a point). If we can keep him in a scouting and advising position, that's a huge win.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Are we sure Wolf won't just be more of the same TT?
GreenBay Press-Gazette this morning
Dorsey, Schneider and McKenzie, as well as all three Packers personnel men, are disciples of former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, Eliot’s father. Wolf developed a scouting system and style of management to which all of them adhere.
Only Thompson, who was hired by Wolf in 1992, has deviated from the former general manager’s aggressive style of team building
If Murphy chooses Wolf, Gutekunst or Highsmith to be general manager, he’s less likely to lose the other two, since they have grown up together in the organization and believe in the Wolf-style of team building. They have had to suppress their aggressive nature to fit in with Thompson’s conservative style.
Their respect for Thompson’s talent-evaluation skills and leadership kept them from leaving the Packers for lateral positions.
If Murphy chooses Ball, whose primary duties are negotiating contracts but who has been studying personnel evaluation under Thompson, he almost certainly would lose all three personnel men, a source familiar with the Packers' front office said.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Honestly, where TT struggled was with free agency and contracts (to a point). If we can keep him in a scouting and advising position, that's a huge win.
Some might say his scouting lacked in the last few years as well, but that remains to be seen. I do believe the guy will be a valuable resource. If the new GM wants to go another direction, I'm sure he will just pat TT on the head and say "Thanks Teddy, now back to your your cubicle".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't this sort of what happened when Ron Wolf stepped down?
Yes, but Wolf moved away. I get the sense TT will be on site and more active.

Apparently Mark Murphy claims that there is no truth in the Bob McGinn report that the board directed him to relieve Thompson.
McGinn had an axe to grind and had credibility issues after some of his reporting was just plain wrong.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson DID NOT do a great job in Green Bay!
Have you forgotten what this team without Aaron Rodgers has been.
Thompson has built an 8-8 team at best when Rodgers is out of the equation.
That's not a "great job".

Sorry but you're taking the inadequacy of ONE position (backup QB) and applying it to the whole team because it fits your agenda. Most of us are not so simple-minded.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah except that 2015 season when they were a botched onside kick from the Super Bowl. People forget how well that team was playing. Do you blame Ted Thompson for McCarthy going all McCarthy and becoming predictable and for Bostick ******** everything up?

AND WHO DO THINK SIGNED BOSTICK???!!! :confused::confused::confused::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but you're taking the inadequacy of ONE position (backup QB) and applying it to the whole team because it fits your agenda. Most of us are not so simple-minded.
Geez, All along I've been considering you an egotistical simpleton.
Thanks for making that crystal clear.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, All along I've been considering you an egotistical simpleton.
Thanks for making that crystal clear.

LOL Why? Because I dare to point out the inadequacies of your blanket statements and your fundamental misunderstanding and oversimplification of complicated matters? Sorry if that hurts your feelings but I call it how I see it and I don't do sugar-coating. Feel free to put me on ignore. Am I wrong about your post prior to this? If so, how about replying in some substantive manner rather than a lame name-calling post, hmm?

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL Why? Because I dare to point out the inadequacies of your blanket statements and your fundamental misunderstanding and oversimplification of complicated matters? Sorry if that hurts your feewings but I don't do sugar-coating. Feel free to put me on ignore! :)
I won't do that.
I like comedy.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that is true. I think this has been the plan all along.
Sorry to see Mr. Thompson go, but it was time. TT was a great GM and its a damn shame many showed him so little respect. I know most posters here have no idea what a GM all does. They think it's all just about draft picks and signing guys. Anyway, he was a tremendous asset and very highly respected by everyone he worked with and throughout the NFL and college ranks. And that meant something very positive for the Packers.

But it was time. In the last 2 years I saw a significant decline in his health - based on his appearance and motor skills. I am certain this was on his terms and was planned for some time.

I imagine his new role will be a step above GM, just making sure the new GM fits comfortably into their new role gradually.

When asked about Thompson last year...around the draft, Murphy said that there was a plan in place for when to move on from TT. This could have been the plan all along. Although I have heard that there is some speculation that the BOD told Murphy to make the change.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When asked about Thompson last year...around the draft, Murphy said that there was a plan in place for when to move on from TT. This could have been the plan all along. Although I have heard that there is some speculation that the BOD told Murphy to make the change.
that was reported by Bob McGinn. Murphy has categorically denied it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts