Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, I'll give him credit up to 2011, but since then Ted Thompson has been hideous.
Even a blind squirrel fins a nut every now and then.
The 2013 and 2017 seasons without Aaron Rodgers should be overwhelming evidence for how much Ted Thompson has really sucked.
He has built an 8-8 team at BEST!

Yeah except that 2015 season when they were a botched onside kick from the Super Bowl. People forget how well that team was playing. Do you blame Ted Thompson for McCarthy going all McCarthy and becoming predictable and for Bostick ******** everything up? That game had a lot of people to blame but thompson built a team that should have completed for a super bowl.

The last two years the quality has slipped

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So here's an interesting wrinkle:

According to former beat writer Bob McGinn, the Packers’ board of directors instructed team president Mark Murphy to remove Ted Thompson as GM.

So this may trickle all the way down to MM in the end, but chances are they would have told Murphy to can both if they were planning to.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So here's an interesting wrinkle:

According to former beat writer Bob McGinn, the Packers’ board of directors instructed team president Mark Murphy to remove Ted Thompson as GM.

So this may trickle all the way down to MM in the end, but chances are they would have told Murphy to can both if they were planning to.

"McGinn points to “public images” of Thompson and “some recent interaction” with team executives as the impetus for the move, listing various factors that contributed to the conclusion that Thompson’s health prevents him from continuing in the job."

Wonder if the cut of him slack-jawed staring into space during the MIN game did it in for him. :laugh:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . . that Thompson’s health prevents him from continuing in the job."

Wonder if the cut of him slack-jawed staring into space during the MIN game did it in for him. :laugh:
A new low in class.

Thompson is old and having health issues. Real ****ing funny.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
john schneider could be a factor... He doesn't have an out clause from what I am hearing.

Of he wanted to interview he could is what is being said and written.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new low in class.

Thompson is old and having health issues. Real ******* funny.

I was more poking fun at the look on his face that he's had since his playing days, not his health, but I can see how you'd interpret it that way. Not what I meant to do.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a feeling they are going to promote within.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Schneider interviews. That above story seems to indicate a lack of accountability at the highest of levels within the organization. Allowing TT to continue at GM after his significant health event a few years ago is making them look ridiculous right now.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson DID NOT do a great job in Green Bay!
Have you forgotten what this team without Aaron Rodgers has been.
Thompson has built an 8-8 team at best when Rodgers is out of the equation.
That's not a "great job".

Was it really TT who built the team, or did Eliot Wolf have a big hand in that as well, as many here have suggested in the past? That's why I'm not so sure we should go with an in-house GM, rather than someone proven such as Schneider.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new low in class.

Thompson is old and having health issues. Real ******* funny.

Indeed, Amish; not funny at all. I hope to God that he isn't suffering from the onset of Alzheimers or something else serious, and that he can enjoy his remaining years in good health.

Reaction score
All this reconstructioning news to me is like all the hype in the draft and preseason.

Wait until the first season game snap is made, then we'll see how all this pans out,
or when we bet last years Super Bowl team.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson DID NOT do a great job in Green Bay!
Have you forgotten what this team without Aaron Rodgers has been.
Thompson has built an 8-8 team at best when Rodgers is out of the equation.
That's not a "great job".

Thompson drafted Rodgers.

Thompson dumped Favre and put Rodgers in at the same time.

Have you not forgotten that we wouldn't have Rodgers without Thompson? Drafting a QB at 24 while we had Favre was NOT a popular move at the time.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
If TT is suffering from Health issues why did it take until now for the Board of Directors to intervene? Would they intervene if Pack went 12-4 or 13-3 and made Playoffs?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Schneider and Gus Bradley and let's roll!

Count me out on Schneider.

Awful at drafting OL. Not great at skill positions. Good at defense.

I mean, consider that team without Wilson. Worse than us without Rodgers.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Count me out on Schneider.

Awful at drafting OL. Not great at skill positions. Good at defense.

I mean, consider that team without Wilson. Worse than us without Rodgers.

They got old at certain spots. I believe they have an OC issue like we had a DC issue. Tom Cable hasn't lived up to all the hype either.

The thing I like about Schneider is he isn't afraid to go "all in".

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT is suffering from Health issues why did it take until now for the Board of Directors to intervene? Would they intervene if Pack went 12-4 or 13-3 and made Playoffs?

Probably not - You don't interfere with winning.

At 7-9, however, it's different......

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This organization is loyal to a fault from top to bottem.
Loyalty can be a good thing, but in the Green Bay Packers situation it has been a bad thing for years.
Both Thompson and Capers should have been gone right after the 2013 season.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There can be absolutely no confirmation of that!

This has been scientifically proven . . .

My post 2 years ago

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/tt-needs-to-go.65055/page-6#

Without drafting Rodgers, TT would have drafted Russell Wilson. That with higher picks in other rounds we would have taken jj watt and ILB Kutchley. We would have the best defense ever and at least 4 SBs by the end of this season. So it was unlucky, really, that TT drafted AR.

(The first supposer never had a chance)

This organization is loyal to a fault from top to bottem.
Loyalty can be a good thing, but in the Green Bay Packers situation it has been a bad thing for years.
Loyalty gets you better coaches in the first place. Recalll a few years back when Al Davis had an opening. Several candidates refused an interview. Part of that was Al was bat **** crazy and the other part is he had fired 3 coaches in 5 years or something like that.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
There is an article out there saying the Texans are looking at Brian Gutenkunst for their new GM, and a few teams interviewed him last off-season. I think he is going to end up landing a GM job with us or someone else.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Ron Wolf made the comment that the Packers had NFL-Europe talent surrounding a small group of talent. about the time Ted took over as GM.
Thompson's strategy to gain more draft picks and develop them may be a bit a shotgun approach but it did elevate the overall talent of the team (2005 - 11 picks, 2006 - 12 picks, 2007 - 11 picks, 2008 -9). In my opinion, its a good strategy for turning around a team and more GMs taking over troubled franchises should consider it over making a big splash in free agency and putting all your money on just a few horses. Where I think it goes wrong is once you have a solid core of overall players it is time to begin elevating key positions though all available paths.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is probably posted somewhere, but I didn't see it.

Thompson will be the Packers’ senior advisor to football operations, the Packers announced Tuesday

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is great news!!! A fresh perspective in the front office is exactly what we need complied with a new DC.

I’d like to see McCarthy at least get another year with A Rod....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts