Ted Thompson Legacy Reaches Highest Stink Worse Than Mike Sherman

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted's model was the Pittsburgh Steelers: build from within, keep the front office and coaching as stable as possible, and don't hock the furniture for talent.
In theory, that makes sense and I agree with that being the ideal way to build. However, if you're going to turn that theory into dogma and write that philosophy in stone, you'd better not miss on those draft picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, it's definitely true that Thompson did a marvelous job early as the Packers general manager. On the other hand the writing was on the wall for several years that the team completely lacked overall talent over the last few years of his tenure. I wonder what happened to the posters that vehemently disagreed with this assessment over the course of this season.

the scouts will all be gone with the coaching staff....hopefully.

I highly doubt the Packers will move on from their entire scouting staff.

I would at least let Kizer compete for the backup job going forward. We definitely should have an upgraded other QB drafted to push him, make no mistake about that.

He may not be replacing Rodgers down the road, but I'm willing to see if he can improve his game as a backup.

There's absolutely no way Kizer will be the one replacing Rodgers down the road.

So if we cut Bulaga, what’s the plan from there on the oline? To replace 3 of 5 Olinemen through draft and FA?

I would prefer to use the money saved by releasing Bulaga on a right tackle capable of staying healthy. In my opinion it should be possible to significantly upgrade the offensive line this offseason even while replacing him.

Packfan123451

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the draft positioning we have for that, I disagree. Besides, our OL is already in a hole and keeping Bulaga there will only delay its fixing. Time to draft some quality hogs up front.

I wholeheartedly agree. I love Bulaga but, he can't stay healthy. I want some large people in the draft.

I would prefer to use the money saved by releasing Bulaga on a right tackle capable of staying healthy. In my opinion it should be possible to significantly upgrade the offensive line this offseason even while replacing him.

Alright, friends...basically what it boils down to is the fact that I can't seem to wrap my head around a scenario where the pack can fill their two weakest line spots (OG) and replace their RT all through draft and free agency this year. I am not denying the fact that they will probably draft his replacement and work to develop him in the last year of BB's contract. Can you imagine if they cut Bulaga when they thought they had his replacement in Spriggs??? Cut Bulaga and you cut your safety net at RT. If you think that our first few draft picks should be used up on a Tackle then we will never see eye to eye, I believe you have to go defense and/or interior lineman with the first 3 picks at least.

On the subject of health, the guy bounced back from an ACL in less than a year (I understand this isn't unheard of but it still deserves a tip of the cap) and had one of his most productive seasons.

Replacing Bulaga with a stud is alot easier said than done...that's all I am saying.

Sincerely,
A Bryan Bulaga Fan (if you couldn't tell! haha)

D

Deleted member 6794

Alright, friends...basically what it boils down to is the fact that I can't seem to wrap my head around a scenario where the pack can fill their two weakest line spots (OG) and replace their RT all through draft and free agency this year. I am not denying the fact that they will probably draft his replacement and work to develop him in the last year of BB's contract. Can you imagine if they cut Bulaga when they thought they had his replacement in Spriggs??? Cut Bulaga and you cut your safety net at RT. If you think that our first few draft picks should be used up on a Tackle then we will never see eye to eye, I believe you have to go defense and/or interior lineman with the first 3 picks at least.

On the subject of health, the guy bounced back from an ACL in less than a year (I understand this isn't unheard of but it still deserves a tip of the cap) and had one of his most productive seasons.

Replacing Bulaga with a stud is alot easier said than done...that's all I am saying.

Bulaga performed at an above average level but was hardly elite when on the field.

I wouldn't mind using an early rounder on a right tackle expected to start the season. In case the Packers swing and miss like with Spriggs they could use the cap savings by releasing Bulaga to sign a veteran backup presenting a safety net in this case.

Packfan123451

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga performed at an above average level but was hardly elite when on the field.

I wouldn't mind using an early rounder on a right tackle expected to start the season. In case the Packers swing and miss like with Spriggs they could use the cap savings by releasing Bulaga to sign a veteran backup presenting a safety net in this case.

Agree to disagree. I understand that it is possible to work the picks and spend the money to shore up RT as you see fit but I am arguing that there are plenty of other spots that deserve that focus/cash. Cutting Bulaga creates too many "maybes" for my liking.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agree to disagree. I understand that it is possible to work the picks and spend the money to shore up RT as you see fit but I am arguing that there are plenty of other spots that deserve that focus/cash. Cutting Bulaga creates too many "maybes" for my liking.

The Packers have held on to veterans not performing up to their contracts for too long. It's time to change the culture at 1265.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trubisky has 25 TDs to AR12's 24. Cousins has 30!
Like I said Rodgers was off this year, plus he was injured. This is a down year for Arodg. You honestly think Trubisky and Cousins will outshoot Arodg consistently?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what this is. Even if it was 10 years or so of good and only 3 of bad, those 3 awful years of doing nothing but drafting stupid DBs and not upgrading the OL, and letting the best TE we had since Finley retired walk is just an utter abomination. Ridiculous and it's set us back several years.

Now, MM certainly had his role in this as well by being too loyal to Capers and Whitt, and replacing the bad Slocum with a complete buffoon in Zook. But man I can't believe how ridiculously ****ty Thompson's roster moves were in his last couple years.

Right now with Kizer, well ... I don't know, I won't go singing his praises but this roster is just so bad I don't know if it's truly fair to grade him out at this point, and he at least shows some measure of decisiveness I think a little better than Hundley.

Honestly though, I want Bulaga and Taylor booted out of here first for causing Rodgers's injuries including the concussion he had today, and then kick Cobb, Kendricks, Lewis and anyone else hogging up roster spots and have a 100℅ offense draft to replace them.

First Thompson's legacy is that he built a Super Bowl winner with one of the longest runs of post season success in the league. Second how good would this team look if Gute didnt start the year by trading away a talented if inconsistent player for a backup quarterback? Randall went on to record 4 picks this year in his first year as an NFL FS and he's been showing the range of a true centerfielder... something we havent had since Collins. What did Deshone Kizer show beyond looking like Brett Hundley with a slightly better arm, and less poise? Then you've got the complete decimation of the safety position with the cutting of Whitehead and the trading of Dix. Is it any wonder that our defense cant seem to keep anyone below 30 points?

Second look at the draft picks over the last few years because we have been picking up talent on Offense despite limited picks on that side of the ball. Unfortunately we've been pumping draft picks into Dom Capers black hole of a defense for the better part of the last decade and most of these guys flopped here. Then youve got guys that Capers failed to utilize like Heyward, Hyde and Randall who went on to have success elsewhere. Would we have drafted injury prone Kevin King if we had a stronger healthier secondary unit heading into the 2017 draft?

Third our Offensive scheme is genuinely bad. Its the type of offense that needs multiple pro bowl caliber receivers to work consistently and a top notch pass blocking offensive line. No, we did not win a super bowl with this kind of ********. Rather we relied on more of a traditional WCO that really did work the whole field instead of constantly hunting for big plays against deep coverages and a pass rush teeing off on every snap.

This team would look better with a 60/40 pass run split, and yes Aaron would take less sacks if he focused on attacking defenses where they are weak instead of trying to drive it down field and extend the play constantly against defenses that basically know exactly what we're doing.

Defensively it would have looked like a different unit with Randall playing single high safety for us this year. Dix never had the range to play that role and was more of an interchangeable safety, meaning youd need another safety much like him manning the other spot. We could have played Dix more towards the intermediate routes exclusively or rolled with Josh Jones in the box where he's looked pretty good. We would have seen more big plays more sacks and less points surrendered.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what this is. Even if it was 10 years or so of good and only 3 of bad, those 3 awful years of doing nothing but drafting stupid DBs and not upgrading the OL, and letting the best TE we had since Finley retired walk is just an utter abomination. Ridiculous and it's set us back several years.

Now, MM certainly had his role in this as well by being too loyal to Capers and Whitt, and replacing the bad Slocum with a complete buffoon in Zook. But man I can't believe how ridiculously ****ty Thompson's roster moves were in his last couple years.

Right now with Kizer, well ... I don't know, I won't go singing his praises but this roster is just so bad I don't know if it's truly fair to grade him out at this point, and he at least shows some measure of decisiveness I think a little better than Hundley.

Honestly though, I want Bulaga and Taylor booted out of here first for causing Rodgers's injuries including the concussion he had today, and then kick Cobb, Kendricks, Lewis and anyone else hogging up roster spots and have a 100℅ offense draft to replace them.

I think we had 4 years of good...3 of mediocre and 3 of hot garbage under Ted.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said Rodgers was off this year, plus he was injured. This is a down year for Arodg. You honestly think Trubisky and Cousins will outshoot Arodg consistently?

Rodgers is 35...It ain't gonna get any better. He stole money this year, and he's gonna steal more money going forward.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why was this man not fired completely? No need to have him stay on as a "scout". He should've been taken out by security and told never to return.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First Thompson's legacy is that he built a Super Bowl winner with one of the longest runs of post season success in the league. Second how good would this team look if Gute didnt start the year by trading away a talented if inconsistent player for a backup quarterback? Randall went on to record 4 picks this year in his first year as an NFL FS and he's been showing the range of a true centerfielder... something we havent had since Collins. What did Deshone Kizer show beyond looking like Brett Hundley with a slightly better arm, and less poise? Then you've got the complete decimation of the safety position with the cutting of Whitehead and the trading of Dix. Is it any wonder that our defense cant seem to keep anyone below 30 points?

Second look at the draft picks over the last few years because we have been picking up talent on Offense despite limited picks on that side of the ball. Unfortunately we've been pumping draft picks into Dom Capers black hole of a defense for the better part of the last decade and most of these guys flopped here. Then youve got guys that Capers failed to utilize like Heyward, Hyde and Randall who went on to have success elsewhere. Would we have drafted injury prone Kevin King if we had a stronger healthier secondary unit heading into the 2017 draft?

Third our Offensive scheme is genuinely bad. Its the type of offense that needs multiple pro bowl caliber receivers to work consistently and a top notch pass blocking offensive line. No, we did not win a super bowl with this kind of ********. Rather we relied on more of a traditional WCO that really did work the whole field instead of constantly hunting for big plays against deep coverages and a pass rush teeing off on every snap.

This team would look better with a 60/40 pass run split, and yes Aaron would take less sacks if he focused on attacking defenses where they are weak instead of trying to drive it down field and extend the play constantly against defenses that basically know exactly what we're doing.

Defensively it would have looked like a different unit with Randall playing single high safety for us this year. Dix never had the range to play that role and was more of an interchangeable safety, meaning youd need another safety much like him manning the other spot. We could have played Dix more towards the intermediate routes exclusively or rolled with Josh Jones in the box where he's looked pretty good. We would have seen more big plays more sacks and less points surrendered.

Sorry, but this whole rant is just full of flawed points and way off base.

1. Doesn't matter what TT did from 2005-2014 or somewhat thereabouts, this is a what have you done for me lately league, and lately he has done nothing.

2. Guess you didn't get the memo that both Randall and HHCD wanted out. Yup they wanted out, so Gute just did what he had to do.

And no he didn't trade Randall for Kizer, he traded him for picks. The Browns just said "Here take this garbage with you" about Kizer because they decided they were going to go with Mayfield.

Make no mistake, Capers was here too long and Randall probably is better at S than Williams, Whitehead and Brice, but I really think his value and impact is being overestimated, and Whitt would've had him out of position anyway.

3. You're really confusing scheme and available personnel with this offense. MM certainly screwed things up with this offense over the years, but the year we won the SB we had one of the deepest receiving corps in football. Jordy and Jones were our 3 and 4 behind Jennings and Driver, hence why Rodgers would often say those guys would be the number ones and twos on any other team. Unfortunately over the last few years and especially this one we don't have that kind of depth in our receiving corps, hence maybe why we didn't see MM using the shotgun 4 or 5 WR spread packages as much this year. But I would say he stuck a little too much to the traditional WCO which may be a little too obsolete in the day of the RPO. Add to that Jimmy Graham who has lost a ton of athleticism from his hay day in New Orleans when he'd go jumping up and snaring in ridiculous catches off the backs of defenders, or making those catches and dragging defenders 10 yards before going down. He looks a decent number 2 possession TE, but he definitely is not an upgrade over what we had with Cook.

Sorry but this roster does not have deep talent on offense

D

Deleted member 6794

Second how good would this team look if Gute didnt start the year by trading away a talented if inconsistent player for a backup quarterback? Randall went on to record 4 picks this year in his first year as an NFL FS and he's been showing the range of a true centerfielder... something we havent had since Collins.

The Packers defense might have been better with Randall playing free safety but it's strange that someone believes that trade is the main reason the team struggle this season.

I think we had 4 years of good...3 of mediocre and 3 of hot garbage under Ted.

What happened to the other three years Thompson was the Packers general manager???

And no he didn't trade Randall for Kizer, he traded him for picks. The Browns just said "Here take this garbage with you" about Kizer because they decided they were going to go with Mayfield.

While the Packers swapped fourth and fifth round picks with the Browns acquiring Kizer was the main target in that trade.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there are several more teams in the NFC that are head and shoulders better than us.
This was my concern before the season started, when I thought we would at least make the playoffs. There were other teams that seemed far ahead of us as solid Super Bowl contenders. I didn't expect GB to be the third best team in the division though. And we're closer to the Lions than we are to the Bears or Vikings. And the Lions just beat us at home 31-0.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was my concern before the season started, when I thought we would at least make the playoffs. There were other teams that seemed far ahead of us as solid Super Bowl contenders. I didn't expect GB to be the third best team in the division though. And we're closer to the Lions than we are to the Bears or Vikings. And the Lions just beat us at home 31-0.
OUCH!!!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers defense might have been better with Randall playing free safety but it's strange that someone believes that trade is the main reason the team struggle this season.

It's not a main reason but being able to play single high safety would help us use a guy like Josh Jones as an in the box safety, where he's actually looked effective. To me a centerfielder type could help us stabilize the back end of our defense. Could better safety play have helped us in multiple close losses?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Ted was the "smart one".....he basically got out before it all crumbled.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Maybe it crumbled because he left.

Rodgers play has dropped off significnatly.

Can we all agree that TT made Rodgers and not the other way around? It's fairly obvious.

Fire Gute and bring TT back.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but this whole rant is just full of flawed points and way off base.

1. Doesn't matter what TT did from 2005-2014 or somewhat thereabouts, this is a what have you done for me lately league, and lately he has done nothing.

2. Guess you didn't get the memo that both Randall and HHCD wanted out. Yup they wanted out, so Gute just did what he had to do.

Make no mistake, Capers was here too long and Randall probably is better at S than Williams, Whitehead and Brice, but I really think his value and impact is being overestimated, and Whitt would've had him out of position anyway.

3. You're really confusing scheme and available personnel with this offense. MM certainly screwed things up with this offense over the years, but the year we won the SB we had one of the deepest receiving corps in football. Jordy and Jones were our 3 and 4 behind Jennings and Driver, hence why Rodgers would often say those guys would be the number ones and twos on any other team. Unfortunately over the last few years and especially this one we don't have that kind of depth in our receiving corps, hence maybe why we didn't see MM using the shotgun 4 or 5 WR spread packages as much this year. But I would say he stuck a little too much to the traditional WCO which may be a little too obsolete in the day of the RPO. Add to that Jimmy Graham who has lost a ton of athleticism from his hay day in New Orleans when he'd go jumping up and snaring in ridiculous catches off the backs of defenders, or making those catches and dragging defenders 10 yards before going down. He looks a decent number 2 possession TE, but he definitely is not an upgrade over what we had with Cook.

Sorry but this roster does not have deep talent on offense

Car, no one will take the board ranter title from you, no one.

First we switched picks with the Browns.

Second yes sometimes players want out, and sometimes you have to find a way to accommodate those same players. Yes he basically traded Randall for a bad backup quarterback. One went on to record 4 picks over the course of the season in his first year and the other rode the bench and played poorly in limited playing time.

3. Deep breath easy deep breath... here it goes

Consider this,

https://twitter.com/GrahamBarfield/status/1067857790046072832/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1067857790046072832&ref_url=https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/both-mike-mccarthy-and-aaron-rodgers-deserve-blame-for-the-packers-struggles/

There is a reason why Aaron was the only quarterback with that selection of passes. Yes it's great for padding stats and producing highlights, but terrible for winning football games. This is an offense that requires Aaron to hold the football for an unreasonable period time, risking sacks and injury, linemen to block an unreasonable amount of time thereby risking injury. It also pretty much requires that Aaron Rodgers plays at an elite level just to function, forget winning games or piling up points. Want this to function at a high level, this offense requires Aaron to be perfect. Low percentage throws made over and over again and often under duress against defenses that know they can ignore the run the shorter passes and pretty much the middle of the field. This is probably the only offensive scheme in the league that will make a prevent defense look good.

The route selections are different and we have practically eliminated the shorter stuff and the middle of the field. If you dont realize this you just havent been watching the games.

Yes we had a deeper receiving corps in 2010, although I'll remind you Jordy hadnt yet fully emerged as a playmaker and James Jones was often an unreliable pass catcher. No, only Greg Jennings played like a true 1 or 2 that year.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone always wondered who was to blame for the Packers problems. Was it Capers? Ted? McCarthy? Throw Rodgers in there and the truth turned out to be the whole blamed thing was crumbling down.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Everyone always wondered who was to blame for the Packers problems. Was it Capers? Ted? McCarthy? Throw Rodgers in there and the truth turned out to be the whole blamed thing was crumbling down.
I think you have them correctly in descending order of "who to blame", but I might slip Zook and a few positional coaches in between MM and Rodgers.

Ultimately, the Packers failures can be blamed on a collective group, as well as circumstances and injuries. This isn't like an airplane that crashed because the engine failed.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you have them correctly in descending order of "who to blame", but I might slip Zook and a few positional coaches in between MM and Rodgers.

Ultimately, the Packers failures can be blamed on a collective group, as well as circumstances and injuries. This isn't like an airplane that crashed because the engine failed.

Well pretty much, although the way I see it TT's latest picks were sugar going into our gas tank that finally caught up with us.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted's model was the Pittsburgh Steelers: build from within, keep the front office and coaching as stable as possible, and don't hock the furniture for talent.
In theory, that makes sense and I agree with that being the ideal way to build. However, if you're going to turn that theory into dogma and write that philosophy in stone, you'd better not miss on those draft picks.

At some point if your acquisition isnt working either its coaching or drafting. Ted failed to address either until he got his marching orders.

Members online

Latest posts