Ted Thompson ignores Walker

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson Ignores Walker

According to John Clayton on ESPN Radio, Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson has refused to return phone calls to Javon Walker's agent and Walker himself.

Clayton also thinks that there will be no trades involving Javon Walker in part due to Thompson's ignoring Walker. Thompson has taken a hard line stance regarding Walker and expects him to honor his contract.

I got this from http://railbirdcentral.blogspot.com/

I think it is good that Thompson is laying down the law and sending the message that doing what Walker is doing isn't going to fly with him. On the other hand, it would be good to get somebody for Walker if he is determined to be a moron. Hopefully he is all talk and will show up for training camp and play his *** off in the regular season.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I'm torn on this issue. On one hand the organization needs to let the current and future players know that they won't be bullied. On the other hand, as it seems in sports today, they absolutely can be bullied.

I guess as much as I like Walker and as talented as he is, I would take a top 50 draft pick for him. If he's not traded, the best case scenario is that he causes no problems, plays fantastic, and then bolts in free agency at the end of the year.

Well, if that's the best case scenario, and I truly believe it is, then we don't have much of a choice in my opinion.

Thoughts anybody?

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd prefer Thompson stands his ground with Walker. However, if they were able to get the kind of value for him they would if he was producing at a high level, by all means do it.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, if TT is looking for an opportunity that he won't take any bullsh1t from players, this is it. But, it has come to the point where if TT changes his stance, he will look like more of a ***** than if he just gave in to walker's demands in the first place. my prediction is that walker will show up, and play his *** off this year so he can cash in in 2007. I hope ted knows what he's doing, and i hope he doesn't back down now, cuz that would be bad news.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am torn too because I think ( just my opinion ) that after he came back last year we "might" have been able to avoid this whole scenerio by improving his contract situation. I am not an expert in this area by far but I think when he came back and got injured we could have done something for him. However, in my opinon he crossed the line of no return when he publicly bashed our organization and should now be released for the best interests of the team.

I don't see holding him here against his will being in the best interest of this team. Get a good pick for him, being stubborn here will not solve this specific situation ( key word specific ). Just my opinion, I really liked him !!

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good job, TT. Don't set a bad precedent.

Javon stays in Green Bay. If he plays, great. If not, at least he didn't get his way.

Unless, of course, TT trades him to a really, really crappy team against Javon's will... I'd be okay with that.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best thing for Walker and the Packers is for Javon to swallow the big "Pride" thing, show up and play hard. I think the Packers are going to have a few extra dollars to use up before December. If Javon and his agent do not recognize this, well, stupid is as stupid does I guess. I hope Javon is wearing Green and Gold next season.

I think we failed miserably in the Mike McKenzie ordeal, and Thompson probably would have handled it differently. The only silver lining to that whole exchange is the pick that became Nick Collins.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never liked any of the players "pay me more money or I am going to pout" tantrums.
It is a tricky situation. If TT trades him, (even if the Packers would get 2 #1's and of course they won't) Walker will say that he won. that he got the Packers to back down. Other players with huge egos in the future will try to get their way as well.
On the other hand if he comes into camp all grumpy and disruptive he too could pull a MM, go out on the field and mess up plays and then feign an injury that will never quite heals all season long.
Yes I know he is in a contract year and he SHOULD want to put up the best numbers possible. But remember owners/GM's have been known for years to throw millions of dollars at players who didn't have a very good year due to injury in the hope and believe that the bad times are over for the player and after he comes to play for them he will somehow bounce back to his old superstar form once again. (We only have to look at Jackson for just one of those examples. It happens every year.) Walker doesn't need 5 GM's to feel this way he only needs one. The odds are in his favor.
So if they can get multiple draft choices or a #1 trade him. And let hims say he won. If they can only get a #4 or lower due to his injury then let him sit. Don't even let him come into camp unless he publicly admits that he was an @ss.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
TT's got the upper hand because he doesn't give a **** about winning this year...

He knows he's got another 1-2 year grace period with the organization and the fans where he doesn't have to produce immediately because the Pack is "rebuilding" and because he's a "new" GM...

That's why he hasn't done **** in FA....

TT doesn't care if Favre retires..he is going to carry out his "master plan" regardless....

(hint: it doesn't include winning NOW...)

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should stick to his guns... But why wont he take a phone call from Javon´s agent??? ane thing is being clear and another being rude... Just answer the damn phone and tell the guy were he is standing..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How Walker has gone about this probably has a little to do with it. He's playing extreme hardball.

So now he get's hardball back and doesn't like it. Oh Well.

Someone forgot to tell Javon he's really not the one holding the cards here.

TT doesn't owe him a call or anything else. Not after the way he came out. It was Javon who decided to play it this way. Doesn't mean TT has to join him.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah..

especially since the Pack doesn't need to have a pro-bowl receiver or anything like that...right!

I like how people defend TT for being "tough" in the face of not signing anyone...!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we get taken in any trade that comes up. I still consider Walker our number one receiver and any team that is going to want to trade for Walker will too. Giving Walker away for a consolation prize is foolish.

So put me in the camp that says let him sit. This really doesn't start becoming a problem until Javon misses mini camps and the start of training camp. If memory serves correctly, Walker was holding out last year too until it came time to sacrifice some Benjamins.

When Walker straps on the pads, we'll be able to judge whether he can play at a high level or not. At that time is when his new contract negotiations can commence. I have yet to put a lot of merit into Javon's feelings of disrespect.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66, It's not about if we need him or not. He, or his uncle, LOL, said publically that he would never put on a GB uniform again. If he wants to be a problem, let the baby sit and pout and whine. The guy is a reciever in the NFL getting paid a boatload of money to play a game. If he doesn't know how good he's got it maybe playing spectator will help.

I know you like to pin everything on TT, but this is Javon being an immature ***, nothing more,nothing less.

By the way Pack66, I thought TT signed Green,Davenport,Barry,Gardner,Kampman,Pickett,Manual,Boerichter,Taylor,etc

I know you wanted the "big-name" guy but let's not make it look like TT did absolutely nothing.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed Pyledriver...relative to other nfl players, yes, javon is underpaid, but as you put it...he's playing a game and profiting a lot from it...and not JUST from his football contract (endorsements, and, if I remember correctly, he was working on a clothing line which wouldn't be as successful w/out football).

If TT folds, what's to stop Tausher, Clifton, Diver, Rodgers, etc from doing the same thing?

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
If TT folds, what's to stop Tausher, Clifton, Diver, Rodgers, etc from doing the same thing?

This is EXACTLY what could have been said a couple of years ago..only change a couple of names. Such as:

"If Sherman folds (regarding Mike McKenzie), what's to stop Walker from doing the same thing?"

Hmm...let's see...I would say NOTHING

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
By the way Pack66, I thought TT signed Green,Davenport,Barry,Gardner,Kampman,Pickett,Manual,Boerichter,Taylor,etc

So you're congratulating him for fielding a roster? Cmon, he hasn't done nearly enough with the cap room he's had available to him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole thing is bull...........lets face it, TT COULD be talking to the agent, and the agent lieing. He KNOWS the Packers don't discuss contract issues to the media. So this putz can say what he wants, just to make the Packers the "bad guys". Even though big mouth Walker said he hates GB, won't play for them, doesn't like Favre........he made his point. What is TT supposed to say? Kiss the butt of the agent? After Walker blasted everyone and everything PACKERS??? The guy is a T Owens "wanna be". Talented? Yes. A 100% jerk? Also yes. I would trade him to the WORST team i could find, so his talent rots away, and he never accomplishes anything. Either way, someone will pay him big money. Owens got it, so will this jerk.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still say this whole thing could have been avoided if TT would have given him a bump up ...(500k) raise this year before all of this started with a promise to negotiate in good faith at the end of the year after evaluating his performance in '06....

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
musccy said:

This is EXACTLY what could have been said a couple of years ago..only change a couple of names. Such as:

"If Sherman folds (regarding Mike McKenzie), what's to stop Walker from doing the same thing?"

Hmm...let's see...I would say NOTHING

McKenzie got his way, then a few years later Javon tries the same method even used the same agent for a period of time.

That's what happens. Something. Not nothing.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I still say this whole thing could have been avoided if TT would have given him a bump up ...(500k) raise this year before all of this started with a promise to negotiate in good faith at the end of the year after evaluating his performance in '06....

Why on earth would you double the salary of a guy that has played what - ONE full season, blew out his knew and is unproven since? This after he whined before last season about his contract and basically tore your entire organization an new one and said he'd never play for them again?

I'm all for renogiating a contract when appropriate. How about the guy shows up to camp and is all gung-ho to have a great '06 season in Green & Gold (plus looks like he could do it) then you give him some incentives...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
P@ck66 said:

Why on earth would you double the salary of a guy that has played what - ONE full season, blew out his knew and is unproven since? This after he whined before last season about his contract and basically tore your entire organization an new one and said he'd never play for them again?

I'm all for renogiating a contract when appropriate. How about the guy shows up to camp and is all gung-ho to have a great '06 season in Green & Gold (plus looks like he could do it) then you give him some incentives...

Agreed 100%, Show us you want to play and your injury is healed.

Hoos, if you think those guys are just roster fillers, you are never going to be happy.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Because the guy made the pro-bowl and is the BEST receiver that the Packers have...

TT's timing on this whole think stinks...

He could have done something before it got out of hand.....(that's why Walker is so pissed..!)

Members online

Latest posts