Ted Thompson ignores Walker

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66, Are you saying we should have caved in to Walkers demands last year and paid him more? Whats to stop every other player from doing so? Should we cave in to every one of them?

Good thing we did not pay him last year considering he got hurt, and now he's definitely not going to get it until he proves he has recovered.

Actually, I would argue he is the second best reciever the Packers have if you are judging by stats. Driver never seems to be a problem, the guy just plays football, maybe Javon needs to take a lesson from DD.

I just don't get how you can pin Javon acting like child on TT.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pyle..

Haven't you ever heard of a team "renogotiating a contract"....??

Before any of this got ugly..TT had a chance to sit down with Walker and give him a little $$$...not the whole bank...but something..and a good faith agreement to sweeten it in the future if he performs...

Everyone here agrees that Walker is underpaid...

So what does TT do...he waits and doesn't do anything (which i'm starting to think is his MO..) and ****** Walker off... (Teddy "Tightlips" Thompson)

So...now Favre's #1 go to guy doesn't want to play for the Packers...

and they have reached the point of "no return".....

(this is why I have big reservations about TT's ability as GM...)

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyle - I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain he still got paid for '05

Pack - HUH??? Didn't they "DO something" when they signed him to a contract in '03?

Is Thompson supposed to jack everyone's salary up after a 4-12 season (when they didn't play) just so they don't spout off in the off-season?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No...

It's much better to have the guy sit out all year...i agree...

Someone else will eventually benefit from his services....

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
No...

It's much better to have the guy sit out all year...i agree...

Someone else will eventually benefit from his services....

I know exactly what you are saying on this topic 66 but you are fighting a losing battle my friend.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like the way '04 NFC champs Philly "benefited" in '05 from a malcontent troublemaker like T.0.? No thanks! They can release him or hope to trade for a draft pick. I just don't think Walker holds many cards here.

However, it is a shame that players keep getting away with this "stuff" - a la McKenzie and now probably Walker.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackinSteel said:
Like the way '04 NFC champs Philly "benefited" in '05 from a malcontent troublemaker like T.0.? No thanks! They can release him or hope to trade for a draft pick. I just don't think Walker holds many cards here.

However, it is a shame that players keep getting away with this "stuff" - a la McKenzie and now probably Walker.

It does not matter if the next team benefits or not. Is it really in our best interest to keep him here now ( besides proving a point ) ?

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Hoos, if you think those guys are just roster fillers, you are never going to be happy.

Lets see:

Green, Davenport: huge injury risks, not even sure if either of them will be able to play 16 games or even start

Barry: Likely line depth, may crack the starting lineup this year

Garder: 3rd Wideout, maybe second give our current lack of WRs. If he's second he either overpeformed or we really suck.

Kampman: Starter, would have been retained by any GM with this much cap money.

Pickett: Good pickup if he performs to his skill level. There have been some questions on his work ethic.

Manuel: Possible player in the making, possible waste of money.

Boerichter: 4th Wideout, nothing special.

Taylor: Ok LB, nothing special.

Cap room left: 19 Million

You're right, I'm not happy. TT had to sign someone otherwise we'd have no one on the team. We could have gone harder at more players but we didn't. TT could have worked on an extension for Kampman last year, but he took his damn time. The Pickett signing will most likely be good and I am trying to stay optimistic about Manuel. Other than that, its pretty much a pu-pu platter.

Let's see what else TT did. Further alienated his brat WR, kept Favre in limbo by not committing to win this year, and hired a coach who led the worst offense in the NFL last year (granted with some really bad talent).

I'd love to be wrong, but I think this guy is a clown and he's pissing away Brett's last years. Screw TT.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of these guys are rookies, they have all had a chance. Since they are on the packers, I am hoping they all turn out to be pro bowlers. I love being wrong in situations like that. I am just trying to be realistic.

OP
OP
S

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several of those guys, however, have played on different teams in different schemes than the Packers. Apparently Beorichter was doing solid with the Chiefs but then they just didn't use him. Ben Taylor was in a 3-4 scheme and what i've read about him says he would fit better in a 4-3. Barry was never really given a chance to be a starter because of the U-71 and Green was injured just last year. He doesn't have a huge history of injuries. The point is, especially for the players that played on other teams, they don't really deserve criticism until it is seen what they can do for the Packers.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boerichter is a 27 year old WR that couldn't cut it in KC. I can't even name their starting WRs from last year, so excuse me if I don't see him flourishing with a change of scenery. Barry's job was to be a behemoth and run people over. This year we are switching to a zone blocking scheme that favors quick light linemen. I hope he can start, but I have my reservations. Taylor is what he is, he might improve in our scheme, but correct me if I'm wrong, we signed him for near or at the minimum.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Several of those guys, however, have played on different teams in different schemes than the Packers. Apparently Beorichter was doing solid with the Chiefs but then they just didn't use him. Ben Taylor was in a 3-4 scheme and what i've read about him says he would fit better in a 4-3. Barry was never really given a chance to be a starter because of the U-71 and Green was injured just last year. He doesn't have a huge history of injuries. The point is, especially for the players that played on other teams, they don't really deserve criticism until it is seen what they can do for the Packers.

C'mon guys Borighter and Taylor signed for somewhere around minimum contracts for one year. There is a reason noone else wanted them. Pickett is the only new decent sign TT has made.

OP
OP
S

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I forgot. In the history of the NFL nobody has had a breakthrough with a different team than what they started with. All teams should only sign players that have had major impacts on the team that they were on before. There should be no Marc Bulgers or Brett Favres.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulger and Favre were young players that didn't get a chance to play. Boerichter is 27 and should be in his prime already. That's the flaw in your logic. They may improve and put up some good numbers, but cmon, you don't honestly think these guys will turn into all pros do you?

OP
OP
S

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can come up with other examples then. Trent Green drafted in 1993 ended up getting cut by a CFL team and became a NFL starter in 1998 had a good year but became a backup and broke out in 2003 and has been excellent since then. Terry Glenn wasn't too good as a Packer but has made an impact on the Cowboys. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

No I don't expect these guys to be all pros but they can develop to be solid starters or at least provide depth. I'm just not willing to diss them until it is seen what they can do.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good, now go through the list of players that came in and performed to their low expectations. I agree that occasionally players will outperform expectations. The problem is that most of them won't. In general you get what you pay for, and we payed very little for these guys.

Also, I'm not trying to diss these guys, but I'm not about to congratulate TT just for fielding a roster. All I'm saying is most of these moves are underwhelming crapshoots and we had the money to get better. Hopefully the Boerichter's of the team prove me wrong.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The funniest part of your argument is the part where you assess Green and Davenport as HUGE injury risks, but then want to sign guys like TO and Arrington and Pay Javon out the ***. This just does not make sense and was twisted around to fit your argument

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to "Pay Javon out the ***" as you put it. I was in favor of giving him a modest raise this year since we probably were going to extend his contract in event that he produced last year. Then IF he did well, I'd extend his contract for what he's worth. I was also in favor of signing Lavar if we frontloaded it and had the option of getting out in a few years. Look at my posts, this is what I've preached.

Davenport is a huge injury risk, the guy just can't stay healthy. From what I read last year, Green's injury was pretty serious, and lets be honest the guy wasn't exactly lighting it up last year. So yes, they are pretty big injury risks, why else would they only get 1 year contracts?

Also, let me know how TO is an injury risk.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe TO had to sit out the Playoff run with the Eagles because of injury. Furthermore he is not only an Injury risk but a Giant Cancer.

I'm not going to debate the moves TT has made with you. You guys are simply looking for a "Big Name" player because in your mind, that makes us Instant contenders. I just choose to disagree, no biggie. All I know is the last few Super Bowl teams were built through low-priced guys with potential via free agency and solid draft picks. It's a proven winner, thats what I go by

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not just looking for a big name guy and in general I agree that signing a name just for the sake of it is foolish. My point is that we have a lot of cap money, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a couple of risks if we provide ourselves with an exit strategy. I also think that our situation is unique in the fact that Brett would only play one more year, two if we're really lucky. I would rather reload one more time for Brett than take the slow methodical way of building the roster through the draft.

Members online

Latest posts