Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Well Packers should not be over with Ted Thompson. At least they have made the playoffs despite a rough start. It matters when you finish the season rather than start it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Except that the Giants nor Steelers have been to the playoffs 8 straight. Only us and that team from New England.

That's a remarkable feat but not having it made to the Super Bowl in six consecutive seasons is nevertheless disappointing.

I feel like We can still get to another 2/3 Superbowls before AR12 is done!

There's no doubt that's possible as long as Thompson finally starts to use all methods available to upgrade obvious positions of need.

It also helps that their division is a dumpster fire of crap. Jets,Dolphins and Bills they are not really that strong of teams to compete against the Pats. It helps as they always have home games through the playoffs.

The numbers don't support your claim:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Well Packers should not be over with Ted Thompson. At least they have made the playoffs despite a rough start. It matters when you finish the season rather than start it.

True, unfortunately the Packers lost their last game of the season for the sixth consecutive time while not making it to the Super Bowl.

BarryStortz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted Thompson would be absolutely ran out of town in a NY, Boston, Philly market. He's lucky in that respect.

BB and TT shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence. One is an average, egomaniac GM who won't do what's necessary in getting his team over the top. The other is a brilliant mind who will go down as one of the best.

Unless the Packers win at minimum another SB, nobody will look back on TT's tenure with fondness.
I totally agree with you. If MM is stating that The Dom is a good coach and that he will remain as the DC, then the problem ;must lie with TT. Look at his #1 draft pics - awful. At one time there was 7 #1s on the field at the same time against the Falcon. Still were not able to stop them. His handling of talent in the secondary is extremely poor. Why he is down at the Senior Bowl scout talent is beyond me. He should just subscribe to a scouting service. His refusal to obtain any free agents cost us both secondary and running back problems all year. Mark Murphy needs to step up and make a change. Doing the same thing over and over will only produce the same results - no Super Bowls

D

Deleted member 6794

Why he is down at the Senior Bowl scout talent is beyond me.

I don´t necessarily disagree with most of your post but I´m absolutely fine with Thompson attending Senior Bowl week in Mobile as a lot of early rounders practiced there during the week as well as played in the game on Saturday.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why he is down at the Senior Bowl scout talent is beyond me. He should just subscribe to a scouting service.
Senior Bowl participants who ended up on the Packers 53 man roster:
2016: Spriggs, Fackrell & K. Murphy
2015: Randall, Rollins, Montgomery & Gunter
2014: Janis

I'm surprised how many Senior Bowl players are still on active rosters and some turning into studs. I'm guessing there will be at least 2 or 3 players from this years' game added to the Packer roster in May/June.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly. And, for the sixth year in a row, they had a chance to finish with your avatar (obviously, not the LI version, but you know what I mean) and didn't.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm interested to see what we have with Dorleant. Definitely was some buzz surrounding him. Randall and Rollins obviously need to stay healthy. Gunter will be a great 3 or 4 at CB. We have great safeties. Can never have enough corners, so hopefully we grab one in round 1-2 and we definitely need that shutdown corner. Amukamara seems more likely than a Johnson or Gilmore, although either would be great in Capers scheme. What are your thoughts on Amukamara?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Zartan, post: 707471, member: 9105"]It also helps that their division is a dumpster fire of crap. Jets,Dolphins and Bills they are not really that strong of teams to compete against the Pats. It helps as they always have home games through the playoffs. When was the last time the Pats were a Wild Card team?[/QUOTE]

Yeah' as compared to that mighty NFC North.

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find difficult with Thompson is when he does dip into free agency, he does very well! Pickett, Woodson, Peppers, Cook, those are some good signings, just keep going! They can't just sit back and bring in another rookie CB, they really need to bring in a veteran. Here is what I am thinking they do for their own free agents, what do you guys think? https://thefantasygreek.com/green-b...nts-2017-jared-cook-eddie-lacy-julius-pepper/

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find difficult with Thompson is when he does dip into free agency, he does very well! Pickett, Woodson, Peppers, Cook, those are some good signings, just keep going! They can't just sit back and bring in another rookie CB, they really need to bring in a veteran. Here is what I am thinking they do for their own free agents, what do you guys think? https://thefantasygreek.com/green-b...nts-2017-jared-cook-eddie-lacy-julius-pepper/

I'd go along, except for resigning Barclay and D. Jones.

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd go along, except for resigning Barclay and D. Jones.
Yeah, kind of pained me to put Barclay, but thought he played better on the inside. I think Jones will be priced cheap, i think he should play DE inside, but maybe I am in the minority, built like Aaron Smith, the old Steelers DE and he was very good at that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, kind of pained me to put Barclay, but thought he played better on the inside. I think Jones will be priced cheap, i think he should play DE inside, but maybe I am in the minority, built like Aaron Smith, the old Steelers DE and he was very good at that.

For me, Jones is a 1st rd pick who in 4 years has basically done nothing but an occasional 'flash' at not one but two positions.
Resigning him would be a waste of cap and roster space, and show that this team is not serious about taking the next step.
Barclay, you could do better without even trying; same as above.

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, Jones is a 1st rd pick who in 4 years has basically done nothing but an occasional 'flash' at not one but two positions.
Resigning him would be a waste of cap and roster space, and show that this team is not serious about taking the next step.
Barclay, you could do better without even trying; same as above.
Hard to argue against that thinking DNA, Jones has been a bust.

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you sit at #24, pick a guy expected to go #1 or 2- only after trying to trade the pick- and this is proof of genius?
Look I'm no fan of Teds, but it was a good pick, and I don't buy that it was an easy one. If it was, one of the other 22 teams in front of him would have taken him (some of them with quarterback as an immidiate need).

I'm ready for the team to move on to a different GM, but he deserves a lot of credit for making that pick...it was and is of enormous importance.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look I'm no fan of Teds, but it was a good pick, and I don't buy that it was an easy one. If it was, one of the other 22 teams in front of him would have taken him (some of them with quarterback as an immidiate need).

I'm ready for the team to move on to a different GM, but he deserves a lot of credit for making that pick...it was and is of enormous importance.
It was particularly hard exactly because he had Brett on the roster... let's not pretend that he didn't have the foresight to know what a dilemma that might pose for the future. That being said... he should have been using free agency as well.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
TT doesnt wanna indulge in free agency but the bottom line is he isn't drafting well enough to pull that off. I think its okay to "reach" a little when your drafting at the end of the line but you gotta reach for the right guys.

The most explosive rookies on both sides of the ball last season were UDFA's. Brice and Allison. I would say thats the only method there really excelling at right now bringing in new talent.

Last edited:

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great artile by McGinn, read that last night. By no means is it wrong by putting a lot of stock in the draft, but to totally shun free agency, something he has done well at (in his very limited amount of work) is just idiotic. There is frustration and it is deserved and it is right on Thompson's shoulders.

McGinn called out Murphy too. I thought that was telling. Maybe it's time he starts to get more heat.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm interested to see what we have with Dorleant. Definitely was some buzz surrounding him. Randall and Rollins obviously need to stay healthy. Gunter will be a great 3 or 4 at CB. We have great safeties. Can never have enough corners, so hopefully we grab one in round 1-2 and we definitely need that shutdown corner. Amukamara seems more likely than a Johnson or Gilmore, although either would be great in Capers scheme. What are your thoughts on Amukamara?

I don´t believe Gunter will ever turn into a great #3 or #4 cornerback. Amukamara is a decent cornerback who hasn´t been able to stay healthy. I would prefer to sign a different free agent CB.

The most explosive rookies on both sides of the ball last season were UDFA's. Brice and Allison.

I don´t consider Allison to be an explosive player.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's been repeated over and over that yes, at the end of the day getting all the way to the NFC championship game after going 4-6 does have a lot of ring to it. However, the fact also remains that needs that Ted Thompson failed to address came back to bite us in the end. Give him credit when due, but you also gotta hold his feet to the fire in areas he's failed. There may very well come a time when we start not even making the playoffs and days of Packer football become like they were 30 years ago or so, and in that case I'm sure we'll all miss these days of our superbowl and playoff runs. But so long as we got Rodgers and all the means to build a superbowl team around him, we damn well better do it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@Sunshinepacker

The point of comparing the records outside of round one between other teams was to assess how they stacked up in ability to find talent later in the draft. Thus including a 1st round pick who was drafted because a team packaged lower picks does not help us.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been repeated over and over that yes, at the end of the day getting all the way to the NFC championship game after going 4-6 does have a lot of ring to it. However, the fact also remains that needs that Ted Thompson failed to address came back to bite us in the end. Give him credit when due, but you also gotta hold his feet to the fire in areas he's failed. There may very well come a time when we start not even making the playoffs and days of Packer football become like they were 30 years ago or so, and in that case I'm sure we'll all miss these days of our superbowl and playoff runs. But so long as we got Rodgers and all the means to build a superbowl team around him, we damn well better do it.

The 4-6 starts and finishes are always overlooked by the hot streak to get in the playoffs, or the miracle plays and performances by Rodgers that overshadow the issues with this team. Why does a team that's supposed to be a legitimate SB contender need a lot of smoke and mirrors to get in , especially in years such as this one, where the conference was weak and ripe for the taking?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The 4-6 starts and finishes are always overlooked by the hot streak to get in the playoffs, or the miracle plays and performances by Rodgers that overshadow the issues with this team. Why does a team that's supposed to be a legitimate SB contender need a lot of smoke and mirrors to get in , especially in years such as this one, where the conference was weak and ripe for the taking?

Because of injuries and the failure to augment the roster through the use of free agency. Those are the two biggest culprits as I see them.

Members online

Latest posts