Ted Thompson Era Should Be Over

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Except that the Giants nor Steelers have been to the playoffs 8 straight. Only us and that team from New England.
The success of the Packers recently is not to be understated, but Aaron Rodgers is good enough to get any team into the playoffs. He's that elite. It's no coincidence that with the drop of one comment about "running the table", he was able to lead the Packers to 8 straight wins. He has that type of an impact.

But lets not act as if this is some grand success organizationally. The continuity of the coaching staff, along with Rodgers has a lot to do with it, but other than that, what has TT and company done to ensure putting this team in a position to contend for Super Bowls? The defenses for the most part that's been fielded since 2011 have been abysmal.

Average to good defenses would have given us opportunities to win at least another SB or two since '11.

Ted Thompson still has a job because of one man and his name is Aaron Rodgers. Quite honestly, Rodgers has been the reason for multiple individuals still having a job with this organization.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never said that. You were the one bringing up the point of AFC Championship games lol. I'm saying that TT is the only GM in the league out of New England that has this team consistently in the playoffs. Took a miracle 2014 to not go to the big one. We cannot ignore the streak of bad injuries too.

Granted you never stated that playoff appearances are more important than SB wins. What I don't understand is how, in reply to WIMM's observation that both Pitt and NYG have more Lombardis, you said
Except that the Giants nor Steelers have been to the playoffs 8 straight.
and don't expect us to interpret that as 'yes, but'.

Also, I won't swear I talked about AFC championship games, but I think you're wrong on that count.

Taking the highlight at face value, it looks like you think the Pack should have gone to the SB then? Who doesn't agree - most of us just don't count that season as ending well, though.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The success of the Packers recently is not to be understated, but Aaron Rodgers is good enough to get any team into the playoffs. He's that elite. It's no coincidence that with the drop of one comment about "running the table", he was able to lead the Packers to 8 straight wins. He has that type of an impact.

But lets not act as if this is some grand success organizationally. The continuity of the coaching staff, along with Rodgers has a lot to do with it, but other than that, what has TT and company done to ensure putting this team in a position to contend for Super Bowls? The defenses for the most part that's been fielded since 2011 have been abysmal.

Average to good defenses would have given us opportunities to win at least another SB or two since '11.

Ted Thompson still has a job because of one man and his name is Aaron Rodgers. Quite honestly, Rodgers has been the reason for multiple individuals still having a job with this organization.

Look, we all know how good AR12 is. But aren't we forgetting that it was TT who picked him. TT has consistently put us in the best position to compete. Let's not forget, the D was also carrying this team last year. Shields was healthy. Funny that. The D was carrying this team last year when the O was playing badly. This season we have again been hit by injuries. Strength and conditioning needs looked at more. But to say it's only AR12 is insane.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Granted you never stated that playoff appearances are more important than SB wins. What I don't understand is how, in reply to WIMM's observation that both Pitt and NYG have more Lombardis, you said
and don't expect us to interpret that as 'yes, but'.

Also, I won't swear I talked about AFC championship games, but I think you're wrong on that count.

Taking the highlight at face value, it looks like you think the Pack should have gone to the SB then? Who doesn't agree - most of us just don't count that season as ending well, though.
Because my point was that we are consistently in contention rather than sitting at home come playoff time. You also need LUCK to win a Lombardi. Don't even try and tell me you'd rather be in the Giants position right now. They hadn't been to the playoffs in 4 years and were one and done. Their QB is done now too.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure to what extent I agree, but even then doesn't the reality remain that Thompson found Rodgers and in the end built a team to equal Wolf's?

Why? Because they both have one SB? That doesn't make their teams "equal". . Wolf wouldn't extend bad players drafted or not. He sure as heck wouldn't be depending on undrafted practice squad guys to fill major roles within the team either.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because my point was that we are consistently in contention rather than sitting at home come playoff time. You also need LUCK to win a Lombardi. Don't even try and tell me you'd rather be in the Giants position right now. They hadn't been to the playoffs in 4 years and were one and done. Their QB is done now too.

First sentence - different verbiage, but same point I was making. All thing being equal, being in the playoffs is better than not. However, since things are not equal, is it better to miss the playoffs some years but win the SB a couple of times.

Second sentence - sure.

Third/fourth/fifth - OK, I won't try to tell you that I'd rather look back on two Lombardis in the last few years, heck, this century, than the record of frustration the team now owns (most consecutive playoffs without a SB appearance), but only because you said so. I'd be careful about trying to rub a Packer fan's nose in the 'one-and-done' scenario. And, their QB being done is exactly why so many of us are really upset with the lack of the brass ring while AR is in his prime.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually Eli played pretty well in the playoff game. If not for dropped passes he would've had an even better one. I wouldn't call him "done".

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First sentence - different verbiage, but same point I was making. All thing being equal, being in the playoffs is better than not. However, since things are not equal, is it better to miss the playoffs some years but win the SB a couple of times.

Second sentence - sure.

Third/fourth/fifth - OK, I won't try to tell you that I'd rather look back on two Lombardis in the last few years, heck, this century, than the record of frustration the team now owns (most consecutive playoffs without a SB appearance), but only because you said so. I'd be careful about trying to rub a Packer fan's nose in the 'one-and-done' scenario. And, their QB being done is exactly why so many of us are really upset with the lack of the brass ring while AR is in his prime.

As a diehard packer fan, I'd rather be in the dance every single year and let's see what happens. We usually do better than one and done. Let's focus on getting a bye and being at home for the playoffs. I'd fancy us with a couple of D additions against a dome team like Atlanta or Seattle (who suck on the road). Trust the process. I feel like We can still get to another 2/3 Superbowls before AR12 is done!

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, we all know how good AR12 is. But aren't we forgetting that it was TT who picked him. TT has consistently put us in the best position to compete. Let's not forget, the D was also carrying this team last year. Shields was healthy. Funny that. The D was carrying this team last year when the O was playing badly. This season we have again been hit by injuries. Strength and conditioning needs looked at more. But to say it's only AR12 is insane.

So you sit at #24, pick a guy expected to go #1 or 2- only after trying to trade the pick- and this is proof of genius?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
As a diehard packer fan, I'd rather be in the dance every single year and let's see what happens. We usually do better than one and done. Let's focus on getting a bye and being at home for the playoffs. I'd fancy us with a couple of D additions against a dome team like Atlanta or Seattle (who suck on the road). Trust the process. I feel like We can still get to another 2/3 Superbowls before AR12 is done!
Couldn't agree more with this being the primary focus, but when you look at this season, we started 4-2 and ended 6-0. That's 10-2. And in the 0-4 stretch, yes we were decimated by injuries on defense, but Thompson is supposed to be responsible for the depth, or lack thereof, on this team.

We need more talent and we need more veteran pieces on defense. That's on Thompson. We simply CANNOT keep allowing injuries to be an excuse for this team. It's weak and I'm tired of it. Same old song and dance.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why? Because they both have one SB? That doesn't make their teams "equal". . Wolf wouldn't extend bad players drafted or not. He sure as heck wouldn't be depending on undrafted practice squad guys to fill major roles within the team either.

I say Thompson's tenure has, to this point, equaled Wolf's because they have literally the same exact winning % (61), the same number of playoff victories (10), and the same number of championships (1). You may have your own opinions of what Wolf would or would not be doing if in charge today, but their actual success levels are darn near identical.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, no matter what you think of Belichick, his resume as the guy in NE is impeccable. 7th Super Bowl appearance (!), 11th AFC Championship Game (!). New England has literally not missed the AFC title game since the 2010-11 season.

I'm not crazy about the guy personally, he obviously doesn't play nice with the media and seems a bit unethical, and his open mouthed kiss with his adult daughter after his last Super Bowl was weird, and stuff like that, but let's be honest. There is no comparing Thompson or anyone else to BB no matter what part of what timeline you want to look it. He's on a tier of his own and then you can sort through the rest but no one else is even close.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you just say "trust the process"? Who are you Mark Andrew Hooley? Or should I say, Mike McCarthy?!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And yet the Defense was great and the stats were great.

The point is, when you say a year, it is not 'clear' that you're talking about a different year unless you clear it up yourself, which you did by saying you meant 2010.

I could say the offense was 'great' in 2015, which in the eyes of most is clearly wrong, but you still don't know whether I am actually talking about a different year or just have a different opinion. The Packers D had a great turnover ratio in 2011, for all anyone knew that's what you were saying.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Look, no matter what you think of Belichick, his resume as the guy in NE is impeccable. 7th Super Bowl appearance (!), 11th AFC Championship Game (!). New England has literally not missed the AFC title game since the 2010-11 season.

I'm not crazy about the guy personally, he obviously doesn't play nice with the media and seems a bit unethical, and his open mouthed kiss with his adult daughter after his last Super Bowl was weird, and stuff like that, but let's be honest. There is no comparing Thompson or anyone else to BB no matter what part of what timeline you want to look it. He's on a tier of his own and then you can sort through the rest but no one else is even close.

It also helps that their division is a dumpster fire of crap. Jets,Dolphins and Bills they are not really that strong of teams to compete against the Pats. It helps as they always have home games through the playoffs. When was the last time the Pats were a Wild Card team?

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It also helps that their division is a dumpster fire of crap. Jets,Dolphins and Bills they are not really that strong of teams to compete against the Pats. It helps as they always have home games through the playoffs. When was the last time the Pats were a Wild Card team?

I've said that about them too. It's easy to get home field when most of the AFC sucks too. However, that's not something they control. They're taking care of what's ahead of them.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The last time the Pats were a WC team? Are we really going to penalize them for winning their division every year?

I'm not going to dig too deep into the historical standings but over the last 4 years the Jets, Dolphins and Bills are a combined 89-103, and the Bears, Vikings, and Lions are a combined 87-104-1. I think we're trying too hard to invent reasons to discredit the Patriots. They play in a typical division with 3 teams that are obviously their little brother but that also compete from time to time. We're not talking about the AFC South here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts