Teams believe Jaylon Smith out for 2016 season - at least

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did you have him before the injury and where do you see him going now?
I assume some teams will take him off the board completely from the sounds of it

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Where did you have him before the injury and where do you see him going now?
I assume some teams will take him off the board completely from the sounds of it

Before the injury I was expecting him to be a top 10 pick, off the board well before the Packers pick. Now I think it's possible he'll be available at #27.

The Packers medical staff better be sure that he will make a full recovery if Thompson pulls the trigger on him though. In addition inside linebacker should be addressed at least in the short term via free agency.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before the injury I was expecting him to be a top 10 pick, off the board well before the Packers pick. Now I think it's possible he'll be available at #27.

The Packers medical staff better be sure that he will make a full recovery if Thompson pulls the trigger on him though. In addition inside linebacker should be addressed at least in the short term via free agency.

You think hell be taken by the end of the 1st?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT doesn't build through the draft for immediate impact. He took a QB in round 1 and then parked him on the bench for 3 years before proclaiming him the starter. Last year was an anomoly by needing Randall and Rollins on the field as much as they played. If Smith is available at #27 he will be the Packers #1 pick (IMHO). Even if he's IR'd for 2016 it would give him time to acclimate to the NFL and the Packer system and step in on day one of 2017 as the starter. Agree with WIMM that a short-term FA should be brought in for 2016.
http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfl-draft/jaylon-smith-nfl-caliber-freakshow/

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The name Marcus Lattimore pops into my head. Promising 1st round pick blows his knee out, taken in the 4th round by San Fran and never sees the field. Granted Lattimore's knee injury was more severe (and his 2nd) and he was a running back, but at what pick do you say "we may get something great or nothing at all out of this guy"?

Depending on what doctors conclude between now and the draft.....who knows where Smith will fall to.

At least the draft pundits will have something fun to talk about.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His career might even be over. If we drafted him, i'd wait until the 6th or 7th round. He'll likely fall that far now (if not out of the draft entirely)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The name Marcus Lattimore pops into my head. Promising 1st round pick blows his knee out, taken in the 4th round by San Fran and never sees the field. Granted Lattimore's knee injury was more severe (and his 2nd) and he was a running back, but at what pick do you say "we may get something great or nothing at all out of this guy"?...
Todd Gurley blew out his ACL in November '14 and was back full speed by October '15 to become the Offensive ROY. Smith's injury was early January, so earliest availability (I too am no Dr.) would be late Nov. Team Dr.'s reports/prognosis on him will be the key to getting selected or done, but if it's reasonably expected that he'll recover could be a TT kind of pick.

CashInFist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Todd Gurley blew out his ACL in November '14 and was back full speed by October '15 to become the Offensive ROY. Smith's injury was early January, so earliest availability (I too am no Dr.) would be late Nov. Team Dr.'s reports/prognosis on him will be the key to getting selected or done, but if it's reasonably expected that he'll recover could be a TT kind of pick.
I don't remember hearing about nerve damage with Todd Gurley. That sounds kinda serious to me.

EDIT: Nerve root damage in Dan Marino's throwing shoulder is what ended his career prematurely.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate to hear this, as the kid looked like a perennial Pro Bowl player. I'm hoping that he makes a full recovery, no matter the team he is on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I'm not a doctor, but Smith tore both his ACL and LCL, which I believe is a more severe injury then Gurley, who only tore his ACL. Couple that with the new reports of nerve damage and I think Smith's stock is plummeting. At least he has an insurance policy that could pay him up to $5M.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its worth the headache. There are other prospects that could produce their rookie year, last thing we need is to inherit health issues especially after all the health issues the team had this past year. Hope to hold out for Ragland or even heard that Joe Schobert could be a possibility. Schobert isn't an extreme standout, however most analyst say he would do well in a 3-4 setup.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, 1st round may be pushing it depending on how our medical team feels.

2nd round late is a gamble...like hitting on 15 or 16....payoff could be HUGE but odds seem still as likely not to work as work.

3rd round me personally I compare it to hitting on like a 12 or 13....

4th round you gotta take him and take him fast. Best case you got the steal of the draft...worst case you blew a 4th big deal.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record I am a BIG Smith fan, BIG.
Pre-injury, who wasn't. Kid was athletic as can be. I am sure he can return to form if there is nothing permanent, I'm just not completely certain he'll take the risk, given his insurance policy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd be fine with taking a shot at Smith in the 3rd or later, especially if TT signs a decent free agent or two. But my guess is, if Doctors think he will play again, even if its not until 2017, he won't be around past the second round.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would be a great 3rd/4th round investment because you can just stash him on IR for a year. TT has more draft picks than roster spots so guys are going to have to get cut. This keeps one of them from getting cut and gives you a lottery ticket.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers nearly annual injury epidemic there is no way TT should spend a pick in the first 4 rounds for Smith. Guys that get hurt in college usually don't get healthier in the pros. I would have no problem using a low round pick on him since those picks aren't much more likely than a FA to make an impact.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Depending on what doctors conclude between now and the draft.....who knows where Smith will fall to.

The pre-draft medical exam will decide which round Smith will be drafted. If the Packers medical staff is sure about him getting completely healthy again (which seems to be a big if) I would be excited to draft him in which ever rounds it takes to get him, even if that means he won't play a single snap until the 2017 season.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pre-draft medical exam will decide which round Smith will be drafted. If the Packers medical staff is sure about him getting completely healthy again (which seems to be a big if) I would be excited to draft him in which ever rounds it takes to get him, even if that means he won't play a single snap until the 2017 season.

If that is the case, then TT would have to find a stop gap FA to plug in while Smith rehabs until 2017. Not sure if TT and MM want to give up a pick for something that might not even pan out until a year later or even that if the damager is more serious than Smith is letting on.

Members online

Latest posts