Taysom Hill

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The New Orleans Saints and quarterback Taysom Hill have agreed to a one-of-a-kind four-year "hybrid" contract extension worth up to $90M, per reports."

When the story first broke, it appeared like crazy talk. However, once the details of the contract came out, it was obvious that it was a very complex contract, that would only pay that kind of money, if Hill became a very successful starting QB. Meanwhile, they will continue to pay him for what they are more than happy to have him doing.
Guess it's just, like almost everything here, subjective and relative. As you note, the really big numbers only come into play if he's a great starting QB, in which case it's pretty much in line with a number of others. My point had to do with the last part of your post - I think committing what they've done for the return he's produced is out of line, and they're stuck for at least two more years. Only time will tell.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My point had to do with the last part of your post - I think committing what they've done for the return he's produced is out of line, and they're stuck for at least two more years. Only time will tell.
For a team that is up against the cap even worse than the Packers, I can see where some might call it a questionable move. However, I really think it shows you just how valuable Hill is to the Saints. As we are discussing in another thread, there is some decent money being thrown at backup QB's each year, just to ride the bench. I think in Hill, the Saints know they have a dependable #2, even a possible #1, that also brings a lot more to the table on game day. Imagine how much more valuable Love would be if he could play WR or on Special teams.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point remains that Hill isn't a starting caliber quarterback and it's insane to pay him that much money.

As a side note, I couldn't care less about Siemian but he has never thrown four interceptions in a single game.

Except he is a starting calibre quarterback, as he likely is starting this weekend. And how often has Siemian had to play through a mallet finger on the throwing hand, while also recovering from other various injuries with four days of practice with the ones? Taysom has one multiple int game, on a short week with multiple injuries.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a team that is up against the cap even worse than the Packers, I can see where some might call it a questionable move. However, I really think it shows you just how valuable Hill is to the Saints. As we are discussing in another thread, there is some decent money being thrown at backup QB's each year, just to ride the bench. I think in Hill, the Saints know they have a dependable #2, even a possible #1, that also brings a lot more to the table on game day. Imagine how much more valuable Love would be if he could play WR or on Special teams.
Hill's value is in his versatility not in his ability to play QB. He does enough different things well enough to make him worth his salary but he doesn't do any one thing well enough to make him worth it if he is forced to do any one of them on a full time basis. The problem is that the very thing that makes him valuable, his versatility, is taken away when he is tasked to become a full time QB.

Now you take a guy like Elgton Jenkins. He can play every position on the line so that makes him very valuable because of his versatility. But, he also has value that in that if he is asked to play any one of those positions full time he is able to provide a more than capable performance. He loses his versatility in the sense that if he is the starting LT he isn't available to play any other position but he is a good enough starting LT that it makes up for it.

If Hill has the ability to play 5 positions (backup QB being one of them) that's fine and he may be able to do an OK job at any of them but as soon as he is asked to be the starting QB full time he is no longer available for those other 4 positions but you are still stuck with just an OK guy at QB (note I am probably being generous with the OK guy at QB designation)

Except he is a starting calibre quarterback, as he likely is starting this weekend. And how often has Siemian had to play through a mallet finger on the throwing hand, while also recovering from other various injuries with four days of practice with the ones? Taysom has one multiple int game, on a short week with multiple injuries.
To this I would say just because he is starting doesn't mean he is a starting caliber QB. IMO Hill is a very nice guy to have on your team because of what he can do and that includes being a backup QB. However, IMO what he can't do is be an effective starting QB in the NFL. To come in and finish a game? Sure. To start in a week when your regular starter is out with a hangnail? Maybe, but to be your week in and week out starter? No way.

In his defense he has been injured this season limiting what he could do so just looking at this seasons performance I'm not sure you can accurately say if he is worth his contract or not. It seems weird to say it this way but he is more worth it when someone else is the starting QB and he is available to be utilized in one of his other roles.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hill's value is in his versatility not in his ability to play QB. He does enough different things well enough to make him worth his salary but he doesn't do any one thing well enough to make him worth it if he is forced to do any one of them on a full time basis. The problem is that the very thing that makes him valuable, his versatility, is taken away when he is tasked to become a full time QB.

Now you take a guy like Elgton Jenkins. He can play every position on the line so that makes him very valuable because of his versatility. But, he also has value that in that if he is asked to play any one of those positions full time he is able to provide a more than capable performance. He loses his versatility in the sense that if he is the starting LT he isn't available to play any other position but he is a good enough starting LT that it makes up for it.

If Hill has the ability to play 5 positions (backup QB being one of them) that's fine and he may be able to do an OK job at any of them but as soon as he is asked to be the starting QB full time he is no longer available for those other 4 positions but you are still stuck with just an OK guy at QB (note I am probably being generous with the OK guy at QB designation)

To this I would say just because he is starting doesn't mean he is a starting caliber QB. IMO Hill is a very nice guy to have on your team because of what he can do and that includes being a backup QB. However, IMO what he can't do is be an effective starting QB in the NFL. To come in and finish a game? Sure. To start in a week when your regular starter is out with a hangnail? Maybe, but to be your week in and week out starter? No way.

In his defense he has been injured this season limiting what he could do so just looking at this seasons performance I'm not sure you can accurately say if he is worth his contract or not. It seems weird to say it this way but he is more worth it when someone else is the starting QB and he is available to be utilized in one of his other roles.
2 very good points that you made.

The first being his value to the Saints is as a Swiss army knife and at this point, not as a starting QB. Which explains the compromise that the 2 sides came to in his new contract.

Your second point of Hill being injured this season, is a good one too. Coming out of college, some feared that he wouldn't last long in the NFL due to the major injuries he had suffered at BYU. I think he has proven himself to be tougher than expected.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But he is a starting calibre QB, as evident by the fact he's starting at QB. He's just their starting calibre QB. Otherwise, they'd trot Siemian out there. Maybe he's not Aaron Rodgers level talent, but he's also not Trevor Lawrence this year (who granted has more upside long term, likely). He also has one game in his whole career that had multiple ints, and his win loss record is 3-2. It's not how you classicaly draw up a QB, but it's what the Saints want right now at their position. And he's their starter when healthy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But he is a starting calibre QB, as evident by the fact he's starting at QB. He's just their starting calibre QB. Otherwise, they'd trot Siemian out there. Maybe he's not Aaron Rodgers level talent, but he's also not Trevor Lawrence this year (who granted has more upside long term, likely). He also has one game in his whole career that had multiple ints, and his win loss record is 3-2. It's not how you classicaly draw up a QB, but it's what the Saints want right now at their position. And he's their starter when healthy.
I guess we disagree on the definition of starting caliber. I don't believe that just because someone starts a game that makes him a starting caliber QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

What kind of money are you talking about? His contract is not as straight forward as the headlines it drew.

The Saints guaranteed Hill to pay $21.5 million for being a backup at several positions. In my opinion that's way too much money for his production.

I think in Hill, the Saints know they have a dependable #2, even a possible #1, that also brings a lot more to the table on game day.

I disagree that Hill is a potential #1 quarterback.

Except he is a starting calibre quarterback, as he likely is starting this weekend. Taysom has one multiple int game, on a short week with multiple injuries.

In my opinion a starting caliber quarterback is one that is capable of performing at a decent level for an entire season. Neither Siemian nor Hill fit that bill.

As a side note, Hill having thrown more than three passes in only five games is most likely the main reason for him not having more than one multiple interception game.

The first being his value to the Saints is as a Swiss army knife and at this point, not as a starting QB. Which explains the compromise that the 2 sides came to in his new contract.

I'm glad the Packers don't feel the need to pay a Swiss army knife that much money.

Members online

Latest posts