Tavon Austin signs with Packers

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that means he'll return kicks over Sheppard, I'm all for the signing.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just signed to the active roster. Probably means Ervin is going to be gone for a while, and they don’t trust the return guys we already have...which they shouldn’t. Austin is a dynamic runner with the ball in his hands...even better than Ervin. I’m curious to see if they strictly use him in that role, or will he see some offensive snaps. I mean this is one of the most dynamic guys to come out of college in the past 15 years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just signed to the active roster. Probably means Ervin is going to be gone for a while, and they don’t trust the return guys we already have...which they shouldn’t. Austin is a dynamic runner with the ball in his hands...even better than Ervin. I’m curious to see if they strictly use him in that role, or will he see some offensive snaps. I mean this is one of the most dynamic guys to come out of college in the past 15 years.

That’s a little strong for a guy who has done very little over a long stint in the league.

That said, I would expect to see him used on some jet motion.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Tavon Austin in the jet sweep and in return game makes this team a little better. We know how bad the return game has been since losing Ervin and MLF wants nothing more than to run some successful jet sweeps without EQ taking the route of a QB.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the move. Even more than I would have liked getting Stills.

Not me, I'd rather have Stills. I didn't even know Austin was still in the league. I'm not upset that they signed him but I'm not particularly excited about it either.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why are so many of you saying "Packers dodged a bullet"? there never was a bullet to dodge JFC!

Please explain your reasoning as to why there never was a bullet to dodge. Going on the information we have Gute made an offer to trade for Fuller. Now Fuller has been suspended. It is not unreasonable to assume that had we made the trade we would now be out a draft pick and the services of Will Fuller. I would consider that a dodged bullet.

Now I also believe that we would have been protected in such a circumstance so in effect there was no bullet to be dodged as you said but I would like to know why you think there was no bullet.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Not me, I'd rather have Stills. I didn't even know Austin was still in the league. I'm not upset that they signed him but I'm not particularly excited about it either.
Tavon Austin really cannot be compared to Stills, because they are two completely different kinds of players. Austin is a niche kind of player that adds value to the return game and jets sweep. Areas of the packers game that need improvement and he can come in and make an immediate impact without having to learn too much. To put into perspective, Kenny Stills would rank behind the packers TE2/3 Jace Sternberger in receptions and yards thus far this year. At absolute best, by the time he learns the playbook/gets synced up with Rodgers, maybe he becomes the packers WR3/4 has 170 yards and a TD.
Austin can put the Packers offense in a safe position from the return game, so they are no longer starting from inside their 10 after punts and open up the run game by using the jet sweep or faking the jets sweep.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every single person paying attention knows this offense is deadly, it is however much deadlier when Ervin is in there providing a true threat on the motion and jet sweep part of our playcalling.

Tavon is a solid cheap pick up while Ervin is out and possibly even moving forward IMO.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tavon Austin really cannot be compared to Stills, because they are two completely different kinds of players. Austin is a niche kind of player that adds value to the return game and jets sweep. Areas of the packers game that need improvement and he can come in and make an immediate impact without having to learn too much. To put into perspective, Kenny Stills would rank behind the packers TE2/3 Jace Sternberger in receptions and yards thus far this year. At absolute best, by the time he learns the playbook/gets synced up with Rodgers, maybe he becomes the packers WR3/4 has 170 yards and a TD.

I guess that's one way to look at it although I still think Stills would have made a more consistent positive contribution. I'll be surprised if Austin has 170 yards and a TD by the time its all over as well but he should give us some improvement in the return game which is also needed.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the Sternberger comment. Are you looking at their current stats because I'm pretty confident that had Stills been with us from day one he would have much better stats than Sternberger. I'll go so far as to say I think he'd be our #2 WR by far. I don't think you can look at a players production on another team and assume that is what his production would have been on the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all I can say is I recognize the names, can't say I recall seeing anything of note from them recently. Just from an on paper standpoint, I'd think Austin will provide a boost regardless of his actual production. It's clear this offense works better with the jet sweep motion and he'll provide that. Just like MVS doesn't dominate a stat sheet and even disappears from it sometimes, he still provides a valuable piece to this offense.

and IF he can provide punt and kick returns and give us a boos like Ervin did last year, even better.

Members online

Latest posts