Sutton to get meaningful playing time

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
This was posted as a thread at my forum but it's nice topic so I thought I would share. Kudos to packerbacker78:
RB Tyrell Sutton will get a chance to prove he's more than just a highlight reel against third-teamers. "I want to see him in the game Friday night with the 1's. We'll put him in the game in the first half at some point, and I want to see him play a little bit with that first group," McCarthy said. "I just don't know enough about Sutton. He's young, he's raw, he's done some exciting things."
Looks like this kid could play himself into a job ! :happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOOHOOO!!! Yeah!! This kid has played so well, you just see him play, he is SO quick in his cuts, identifies holes so nicely. He isn't powerful, isn't fast, but he just know how to run. Let's see how he does against 1st teamers that tackles better. From all the unknown players, he has really stood out the most to me.

PFJ12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He looks good! It'd be sweet if the Pack are on to something with this guy. I'm not really a proponent of two-back systems, but I think there's definitely room for this guy to contribute. The Packers haven't had a good backup RB in a long time.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
could be... But he showed a lot of talent. Well, let's see how he does against AZ before we can say anything conclusive... A pick for an undrafted rookie is a great deal, but if that rookie can become at least an imediate backup, it's not that good...

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Sutton traded. I think he could be something in time and with some more experience handling the ball. Can he catch? It's safe to say he knows how to run. How are his hands though? I think that is an important question mark on him.

PFJ12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may be showcasing him for a trade, but why? I don't think he's worth much. I think I believe McCarthy when he says he wants to learn more about him. And I guess I just hope they don't trade him if he plays well Friday night. I think after two games averaging 5+, I'm pulling for him. I think we all are!

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it would be stupid to trade him ... i mean grant hasnt looked that good ... i believe we will need a solid running back behind grant ... i just have trouble believing Grant will be that great this season ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Sutton traded. I think he could be something in time and with some more experience handling the ball. Can he catch? It's safe to say he knows how to run. How are his hands though? I think that is an important question mark on him.
His hands are good. AND he used to return kicks in college. His real problem is blocking. He's not good at it, to say the least.
it would be stupid to trade him ... i mean grant hasnt looked that good ... i believe we will need a solid running back behind grant ... i just have trouble believing Grant will be that great this season ...
Grant has actually been pretty good in the pre-season. Not great. But very good, hitting holes fast and breaking tackles. The only bad run he had was the 4th and 1. He had some blame, but it was mostly on Sitton.
-
I think Sutton's problem is that he doesn't have great upside. He's not great at breaking tackles, he's not fast. He needs to learn how to run routes better, and specially how to block. But he's shown that he already knows how to identify holes, and how to run with the ball. I don't think he can improve much more than what we're seeing (yeah, pre-season, whatever). But, of course, that conclusion is based on pre-season games and highlight videos...

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
3 carries, 14 yards was meaningful playing time?

My guess? They were going to feature him for a trade, but then decided they wanted to keep him.

Members online

Latest posts