Supplemental draft July 11

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most boring time of the offseason for me is between June mini camp and July training camp. I figured I would start a thread to get us all to July 11 the day for the supplemental draft. Four defensive players are eligible for this draft.

I have interest in one Sam Beal CB Western Michigan. Beal has his pro day last Thursday that attracted representatives from all 32 teams. I have read Beal could be had anywhere from a 2nd to 4th round pick. I realize the Packers just invested 2 high draft picks for the secondary. IMO you can never have to many quality cover corners.

I would have no issues if the Pack invests a 3rd round pick to select Beal. I feel Beal checks all the boxes to be a quality corner in the league.

Thoughts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Supplemental prospects often come with baggage. However, if the Packers scout these guys and feel their talent/character warrant a mid round investment, I don’t see why not. No one reasonable would bat an eyelash if they spent a 4th next year on a DB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sucks for these guys as they will be a month behind even the other rookies. I'm thinking a 5th is a worthwhile flyer on one of the 3 CBs. Bryant or Alexander are possible as well. With the packers going more athletic in the draft, maybe they go for Brandon Bryant. With amazing strength and speed, he could be a special teams ace while he develops as a cb.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sucks for these guys as they will be a month behind even the other rookies. I'm thinking a 5th is a worthwhile flyer on one of the 3 CBs. Bryant or Alexander are possible as well. With the packers going more athletic in the draft, maybe they go for Brandon Bryant. With amazing strength and speed, he could be a special teams ace while he develops as a cb.

I believe Bryant is a safety.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I guess I'm a little surprised that more teams don't use the supplemental draft. Many of these guys probably would have had grades higher than they can be had in the supplemental draft so why not take a chance. Like Dantes said no one would bat an eye if they spent a 4th rounder next year on a DB. True, like Amish said they would be behind the other rookies but lets just say the Packers would have had had an extra pick in the 4th or 5th round and they would have used it on one of these guys, again no one would have batted an eye. As for being behind this years rookies you could like at it like that but since they would lose the pick next year you could also look at it as if they were a year ahead of next years rookies.

What happens if these guys don't get drafted? Do they have to wait until next years draft or are they free agents like the undrafted players in April.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
How does the supplemental draft work? Also has any supplemental player worked out?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does the supplemental draft work? Also has any supplemental player worked out?
I don't even know why i'm responding because i'm just guessing LOL

But I think teams submit a "bid" so to speak of which pick they'd give for a guy and whoever is the winning bidder gets the players rights. The probably figure in last year's records in some way too like the regular draft in a weighting issue, but i have no idea how.

D

Deleted member 6794

What happens if these guys don't get drafted? Do they have to wait until next years draft or are they free agents like the undrafted players in April.

Players not selected in the supplemental draft become free agents.

Here are the rules of the supplemental draft according to NFL operations:

In July, the league may hold one supplemental draft for players whose eligibility has changed since the NFL Draft. A player may not bypass the NFL Draft to be eligible for the supplemental draft. Teams do not have to participate in the supplemental draft; if they choose to do so, they may bid for the player by telling the league the round in which they would like to take a specific player. If no other club bids on that player, they are awarded the player and lose a pick in the following year’s NFL Draft that corresponds with the round in which they were awarded the player. If multiple teams submit bids for the player, the highest bidder is awarded that player and loses the corresponding draft pick.

HOF WR Cris Carter is the most successful players who was selected in the supplemental draft. The Packers had success with their only selection so far adding OL Mike Wahle using a second rounder on him in 1998.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Bryant is a safety.
You are correct. Head injury concerns, recent DUI, and academic eligibility issues. A triple threat to not be selected. A dont think he will get picked, but some team may toss a 7th at him. It's a shame somebody with so much physical talent wasted it because of lack of maturity.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yea there is a third guy. Project who has blazing speed. Will be cheap.
Didn't bother remembering his name though. Can't remember where I read it. Could be wrong.... :)

You're wrong as the only other players available are SS Brandon Bryant, LB Bright Ugwoegbu and RB Martayveus Carter.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea there is a third guy. Project who has blazing speed. Will be cheap.
Didn't bother remembering his name though. Can't remember where I read it. Could be wrong.... :)
Bryant is a safety who has run a 4.24. He also squats 600 and is 5'11" and 207 lbs. At his pro day he only ran a 4.45. Lots of red flags, though, as I mentioned.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bryant is a safety who has run a 4.24. He also squats 600 and is 5'11" and 207 lbs. At his pro day he only ran a 4.45. Lots of red flags, though, as I mentioned.

In my opinion the numbers Bryant posted at his pro day (4.45/4.52) seem to be more accurate.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supplemental draft is tomorrow, haven't heard a thing out of Titletown. I don't know if that means anything or not...…..

D

Deleted member 6794

Supplemental draft is tomorrow, haven't heard a thing out of Titletown. I don't know if that means anything or not...…..

The supplemental draft is a silent auction, therefore I don't expect to hear anything before it's finished.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Giants have selected CB Sam Beal in the third round of the supplemental draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

CB Adonis Alexander has been selected by Washington in the sixth round of the supplemental draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fire Gute. If he isnt going to use every means available to him to build the roster, he should be fired. Frankly, I dont think he understands the supplemental draft.

H

HardRightEdge

Fire Gute. If he isnt going to use every means available to him to build the roster, he should be fired. Frankly, I dont think he understands the supplemental draft.
So the bloom is off the rose, is it? I don't see any signs of sarcasm in that post. Gutekunst loaded up with 5 DBs in free agency and with the first 3 picks in the draft and you guys want more? Sheesh.

Brandon Bryant was not drafted. If Gutekunst signed him as free agent would you be happy? One report has him going to the Jets so you'll get a second shot at "Fire Gutey."

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unless I missed something, the only thing one can conclude is that Gute did not want to part with a 2019 1st or 2nd round pick for Sam Beal. Gute very well could have offered up a 3rd or later round pick for him, but given that the Giants were ahead of the Packers in the selection process, their 3rd round "tender" got him.

Members online

Latest posts