Supplemental draft July 11

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure signs of sarcasm were all over in that post. unless one was not a regular reader of this forum, then they might have missed it

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the bloom is off the rose, is it? I don't see any signs of sarcasm in that post. Gutekunst loaded up with 5 DBs in free agency and with the first 3 picks in the draft and you guys want more? Sheesh.

Brandon Bryant was not drafted. If Gutekunst signed him as free agent would you be happy? One report has him going to the Jets so you'll get a second shot at "Fire Gutey."
Nope. He already signed UDFAs.

The Giants and the Redskins were busy improving their roster while Gute was sitting on his hands. Maybe you are okay with mediocrity, but a GM should improve the roster whenever he can.

I doubt Gute even knew the supplemental draft was going on. It's like he is afraid of it. He is also too cheap to spend money is a pick. And and and he treats his picks so precious he wont give them up to improve the team.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Giants and the Redskins were busy improving their roster while Gute was sitting on his hands. Maybe you are okay with mediocrity, but a GM should improve the roster whenever he can.

I doubt Gute even knew the supplemental draft was going on. It's like he is afraid of it. He is also too cheap to spend money is a pick. And and and he treats his picks so precious he wont give them up to improve the team.

I kinda think maybe I can detect a little bit of sarcasm in this post. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

didn't select or didn't bid high enough?

It's possible the Packers bid on one of the prospects selected but we will most likely never know. In the end it doesn't matter as they weren't awarded either Beal or Alexander.

both posts are almost word for word what we used to hear from a few posters about Thompson.

I don't believe there ever was a single post criticizing Thompson for not using the supplemental draft.

H

HardRightEdge

There's nothing to prevent Gutekunst from cutting one them to make room which is what he would have had to do if he'd picked up a player in the supplemental.

Overreact much?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Business decision. The Giants and the Redskins each forfeit a draft pick in exchange for a player who may or may not have a meaningful impact on their roster this coming season. If Gute "sat on his hands", so did the GM's of 29 other teams.

H

HardRightEdge

The closest you get to sarcasm in those Amish posts is a defense of Thompson, which circles you back to the same place anyway.

I'm no fan of what Gutekunst did in free agency, spending meaningful cap on guys who are on the downside of their careers. But it's reasonable to see how it works out before passing final judgement. Thompson is out for a reason: serial mediocre-to-poor drafts compounded by the failed free agent group last season compounded further by the fact that the preferred successor would have been heading out the door.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ok if you didn't get it, but it's what it was. I'm pretty sure even the amish aren't passing final judgment, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more posts like this just to mess with people.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ok if you didn't get it, but it's what it was. I'm pretty sure even the amish aren't passing final judgment, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more posts like this just to mess with people.
I just dont get this Gute can do no wrong crowd. The Packers are doing nothing while all the other teams are getting better. I hate to sit by while he destroys this team and tries to run AR out of town.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm pretty sure even the amish aren't passing final judgment, but I wouldn't be surprised to see more posts like this just to mess with people.

Amish and you as well as Pike to a lesser degree have done that in the past, making a mockery of fans criticizing Thompson for not using all methods available to improve the team as you ran out of facts trying to defend him. It seems there's no way for you to stop it even with TT not being in charge anymore.

H

HardRightEdge

Amish and you as well as Pike to a lesser degree have done that in the past, making a mockery of fans criticizing Thompson for not using all methods available to improve the team as you ran out of facts trying to defend him. It seems there's no way for you to stop it even with TT not being in charge anymore.
I chalk it up to breathing shellac fumes in the Amish woodshop.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it certainly hasn't stopped you from bringing Ted up whenever you can either. Typical captain LOL

And I'll mock, when mocking is required :) you'd think it would help some see the ridiculousness of it, but it seems it doesn't work sometimes

H

HardRightEdge

it certainly hasn't stopped you from bringing Ted up whenever you can either. Typical captain LOL

And I'll mock, when mocking is required :) you'd think it would help some see the ridiculousness of it, but it seems it doesn't work sometimes
While false equivalence is a popular mode of argumentation in the current culture, it shoud be avoided.

What are you guys actually trying to say? It sounds like a defense of Thompson in a ,"Hey, look, Gutekunst passed on the supplemental draft just like Thompson." The false equivalence is in comparing this current trivial event to a multi-year body of work.

The actual equivalence is to be found in the FA activity and draft, which has striking similarities to those of the previous seasons: letting guys go in the cap equation, signing a parcel of veteran free agents with mileage to plug holes as last season, and considerable draft capital spent in getting the CB situation fixed. Even Burks is a Jones do-over.

Where the equivalence or lack thereof will lie is not in the methods or priorities but in the outcomes where the effectiveness of Gutekunst's moves this offseason can be compared to Thompson's ineffectiveness in recent years. Who's the better evaluator of talent, fit and remaining mileage? That's a tale yet to be told.

On the other hand, I do detect some disappointment in this one instance of Gutekunst avoiding the supplemental draft (if in fact he didn't make any bids) following Thompson's long established habit of avoiding the supplemental draft. If that's the case, then there's yet another false equivalence in isolating one instance, if in fact there were no bids, in comparison to that Thompson habit. And beyond that, the argument becomes, "see, Gutekunst is just as flawed as Thompson" in eschewing an opportunity. What kind of defense of the prior regime is that? Somehow passing on Beal with what would have had to have been a 2nd. round pick hardly stands as some oversight.

The proof is in the putting, or "pudding" if you prefer, and we're nowhere near assessing that.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While false equivalence is a popular mode of argumentation in the current culture, it shoud be avoided.

What are you guys actually trying to say? It sounds like a defense of Thompson in a ,"Hey, look, Gutekunst passed on the supplemental draft just like Thompson." The false equivalence is in comparing this current trivial event to a multi-year body of work.

The actual equivalence is to be found in the FA activity and draft, which has striking similarities to those of the previous seasons: letting guys go in the cap equation, signing a parcel of veteran free agents with mileage to plug holes as last season, and considerable draft capital spent in getting the CB situation fixed. Even Burks is a Jones do-over.

Where the equivalence or lack thereof will lie is not in the methods or priorities but in the outcomes where the effectiveness of Gutekunst's moves this offseason can be compared to Thompson's ineffectiveness in recent years. Who's the better evaluator of talent, fit and remaining mileage? That's a tale yet to be told.

On the other hand, I do detect some disappointment in this one instance of Gutekunst avoiding the supplemental draft (if in fact he didn't make any bids) following Thompson's long established habit of avoiding the supplemental draft. If that's the case, then there's yet another false equivalence in isolating one instance, if in fact there were no bids, in comparison to that Thompson habit. And beyond that, the argument becomes, "see, Gutekunst is just as flawed as Thompson" in eschewing an opportunity. What kind of defense of the prior regime is that? Somehow passing on Beal with what would have had to have been a 2nd. round pick hardly stands as some oversight.

The proof is in the putting, or "pudding" if you prefer, and we're nowhere near assessing that.
Its pudding.

False equivalent? Defense of TT? Shred of disappointment? Wrong on all accounts.

Just regurgitating the anti-TT drivel that has dominated the content of some posters since their real hero, Favre, had his ***** fit. Same logic. I should post this stupidity in every thread for the next 8 years only pausing a few months if we win a SB. The goal is to annoy the anti TT ilk and maybe, just maybe, illuminate how foolish and annoying their arguments had been. They got it coming.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm afraid of where this might go if the sarcasm became any more thick or obvious.

Even when told it is, people still want to interpret it differently?

H

HardRightEdge

Its pudding.
That's the typical usage. I prefer "putting", a more obscure but acceptable usage. It's more direct, as in what you put out, not golf putting, thought that would apply too as a secondary reference since that's what separates the ball striker winners from the losers.

So your definitive response is a little off as with the rest of this thread.

H

HardRightEdge

Its pudding.

False equivalent? Defense of TT? Shred of disappointment? Wrong on all accounts.

Just regurgitating the anti-TT drivel that has dominated the content of some posters since their real hero, Favre, had his ***** fit. Same logic. I should post this stupidity in every thread for the next 8 years only pausing a few months if we win a SB. The goal is to annoy the anti TT ilk and maybe, just maybe, illuminate how foolish and annoying their arguments had been. They got it coming.
"Pudding" is the typical usage. Actually, it's "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" whereas the shortened version makes no sense. I prefer "proof is in the putting", a more obscure but acceptable usage. It's brief and direct, as in what you put out, not golf putting, thought that would apply too as a secondary reference since that's what separates the ball striker winners from the ball striker losers. So your definitive response is a little off as with the rest of this thread.

You say it's not a defense of TT then say the goal is to annoy the anti-TT ilk. I'm not getting it.

Besides being a relitigation of decades-old events you seem to be suggesting that folks who believe TT's departure was justified are necessarily Favre dead-enders. That's a conflation. I don't know how thinking the Favre move was the right one while also thinking Thompson's roster building fell into decline over the years are necessarily inconsistent thoughts. They are not. I happen to be a case in point, long on the record advocating both of those points of view.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm afraid of where this might go if the sarcasm became any more thick or obvious.

Even when told it is, people still want to interpret it differently?
And 2 posts defending the use of the word "putting" while trying to point out an unnecessary argument!!!!

Absolute gold!

H

HardRightEdge

And 2 posts defending the use of the word "putting" while trying to point out an unnecessary argument!!!!

Absolute gold!
The "putting" exposition was deadpan sarcasm. Didn't you get that?

As for the rest, just trying to set the record straight amid antique arguments, conflations and convoluted "satire".

So, why don't you just tell us exactly what you think of:

1) Thompson, in the final analysis
2) Gutekunst performance to date
3) Packer non-involvement in the supplemental draft

Then you could make yourself clear rather than making a blanket characterization of anti-Thompson sentiment as having something to do with Favre.

Members online

Latest posts