Studs duds saints game

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is something I think you and I both agree on ;)

When I say "this defense isn't going to win games for us" I am talking as a collective and under the current DC. I am in agreement with you, I think there are some talented players on the Packer defense and that is just another reason why it's frustrating as a fan to see this year in and year out. Dom Capers isn't being given 2nd and 3rd stringers to work with here, he has some talent at his disposal. However, for whatever reason, he can't seem to get all the moving pieces aligned and working together and consistently. When another team starts beating you consistently with something, yesterday it was short passes, you make adjustments, something Capers seems like a deer in the headlights with.

An average to bad DC needs everything to be ideal roster-wise to succeed. A good to great DC causes his team to exceed the sum of its part.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree in general. I am definitely ready for a change at Defensive coordinator, but I just don't think yesterday's game is a great example of why. I really think the defense started out well with the two picks etc... but when your QB literally cannot complete a pass and constantly gives the ball right back to Drew Brees.... you are definitely going to get beat eventually. We need to remember that Brees will most likely be in the HOF. He is not an average QB. Overall, I think we need a change in defensive scheme, but I think they probably did enough to win yesterday if the Offense could have done its part.

I agree that yesterday isn't THE greatest example of why DC needs to go, but it also is no example of why he should stay. The 2 picks were good plays by Randall and House, other than that, the same crappy defense showed up. Couldn't rush the QB, couldn't stop 3rd downs, couldn't stop short passes.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The stud that's apparent to everyone, Aaron Jones, is pretty fun to watch.

TT's strategy of throwing darts at running backs in the mid to late rounds paid off. Jones is a really great athlete whose game has translated. Nice pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The stud that's apparent to everyone, Aaron Jones, is pretty fun to watch.

TT's strategy of throwing darts at running backs in the mid to late rounds paid off. Jones is a really great athlete whose game has translated. Nice pick.

So far AJ is the highlight of the season for me as well. I feel kind of bad for Monty, but he just isn't getting the job done, nor can he seem to avoid injury. But I said it after the draft, I think TT and the Packers selected 3 RB's because they really weren't that confident with Monty. I still think Mays should have been put on the PS and still could be, but at this point, is TT even looking at improving the roster with someone outside the organization?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I certainly hope so. What I found the most frustrating was the fact that the Packers forced the Saints to adjust to stop a very successful running attack, and yet they could not capitalize on that in the passing game.
#12 would have made them pay. I also think an experienced Vet. QB would have as well. While I have been sort of picking on Hundley, this is the part I have to keep reminding myself, he does not have the NFL experience for managing the game at the LOS yet and that will come. The pitfalls of having a developmental QB on a team that otherwise still may have been able to keep itself in the playoff picture, that is on TT.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#12 would have made them pay. I also think an experienced Vet. QB would have as well. While I have been sort of picking on Hundley, this is the part I have to keep reminding myself, he does not have the NFL experience for managing the game at the LOS yet and that will come. The pitfalls of having a developmental QB on a team that otherwise still may have been able to keep itself in the playoff picture, that is on TT.
I think that is exactly it. At this point I don't think he recognizes defensive schemes, and I'm not sure he has the freedom or ability at this point to audible into a more favorable play.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think that is exactly it. At this point I don't think he recognizes defensive schemes, and I'm not sure he has the freedom or ability at this point to audible into a more favorable play.

It's all we got and TT doubled on it with even more inexperience by signing Callahan......I mean seriously? THAT is the point you bring a seasoned vet in and yeah, I don't even care if it is Kaepercrap......but if Hundley is ineffective or goes down, Callahan is going to be any better?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So far AJ is the highlight of the season for me as well. I feel kind of bad for Monty, but he just isn't getting the job done, nor can he seem to avoid injury. But I said it after the draft, I think TT and the Packers selected 3 RB's because they really weren't that confident with Monty. I still think Mays should have been put on the PS and still could be, but at this point, is TT even looking at improving the roster with someone outside the organi

I think Montgomery got too big. He doesn't have the burst to get to and past the 2nd level. You can really see the difference with Jones out there exploding through the hole or into a cut back lane. The RB position (and most of football) is about acceleration, not long speed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Monty never looked like Jones, different style, but last year when he hit a hole he would pull away from a defender. This year he can't accelerate past anybody, just looks slow

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Montgomery got too big. He doesn't have the burst to get to and past the 2nd level. You can really see the difference with Jones out there exploding through the hole or into a cut back lane. The RB position (and most of football) is about acceleration, not long speed.

I also think RB's develop an instinct of where they need to go. Montgomery does not appear to have that. He follows the play and if the hole isn't there, he maintains his course and play is over. Jones on the other hand is the guy that you see, shift and dart fast enough, when something isn't there, his body and brain know where it might be.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Monty never looked like Jones, different style, but last year when he hit a hole he would pull away from a defender. This year he can't accelerate past anybody, just looks slow
Posted something last year about that. Monty was great, when there was a hole, he accelerated through it and got yards. However, with our OL, those holes really aren't that common and he hasn't learned how to find the second hole.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I also think RB's develop an instinct of where they need to go. Montgomery does not appear to have that. He follows the play and if the hole isn't there, he maintains his course and play is over. Jones on the other hand is the guy that you see, shift and dart fast enough, when something isn't there, his body and brain know where it might be.

Yep, and he has the burst to get there.

I'm worried that Williams will be a wasted pick. I'm interested to see what Mays would do in a change of pace roll. He's built like a bowling ball and his explosion metrics are off the charts. If he panned out, his running style would be a perfect compliment to what we've seen from Jones so far.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yep, and he has the burst to get there.

I'm worried that Williams will be a wasted pick. I'm interested to see what Mays would do in a change of pace roll. He's built like a bowling ball and his explosion metrics are off the charts. If he panned out, his running style would be a perfect compliment to what we've seen from Jones so far.

I don't even know how many games Mays was active for, but I think we may see more of him and other young guys, especially, if we find ourselves out of the playoffs.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't change my point, either. If you say he literally didn't complete a pass, you are mistaken.
And I think anyone with any intelligence realizes that... but keep beating it to death if it makes you feel good.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is great at teaching young players but he's not very innovative on offense and he's kind of a bad game-day coach, and Capers might be the reason the defense is terrible and, if he is, then that's another reason to get rid of McCarthy because he's the guy that's kept him around.

MM kept obviously inept Special teams coach Slocum WAY too long. MM has kept obviously inept Capers WAY too long.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's playing hurt and seeing a young star blowing up, he's desperate to get on the field but can't produce in his current position.

Aaron Jones looks like the real deal to me even if it is early. Seven+ ypc even when they knew we were running is not a fluke, kid has good if not great wheels solid power but it's his acceleration instincts and lateral agility that make him a star. I would like to see a complimentary back, someone who is big fast and strong as a change of pace runner. Someone who plants his foot and accelerates through gaps hard and fast could really catch defenses off guard when they've gotten used to a compact read and dart type runner.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think its that Capers doesnt attempt adjustments. An effective scheme let's player make their own adjustments in addition to those of the scheme, I think Capers defense is so complicated and unworkable that it actually inhibits the ability of players to make those instinctive read and react plays. They're too gummed up with a dizzying array of checks reads and changes. We have a good DL, we have some good LBs too and honestly our safeties are solid and I don't think our CBs are as bad as people think either. IMO change DCs and I think we could have an above average defense overnight.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was he allowed to make them pay? He looked pretty good throwing the intermediate routes on first and 2nd down when given a chance but when all he's given are either short floods on first and second down or floods to the sticks on passing downs it's tough to actually make things happen.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I think anyone with any intelligence realizes that... but keep beating it to death if it makes you feel good.

The question then, is, why do it?

(Mods - I just checked, and you have the standard aversion grammar corrections, so no need to point it out, my work is done here. :))

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think its that Capers doesnt attempt adjustments. An effective scheme let's player make their own adjustments in addition to those of the scheme, I think Capers defense is so complicated and unworkable that it actually inhibits the ability of players to make those instinctive read and react plays. They're too gummed up with a dizzying array of checks reads and changes. We have a good DL, we have some good LBs too and honestly our safeties are solid and I don't think our CBs are as bad as people think either. IMO change DCs and I think we could have an above average defense overnight.

Over the years, more than one defensive player has said the exact same thing - that too many players don't know what they're supposed to do in too many situations, so they don't react quickly enough.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok had a chance to watch on passing downs, here goes:

Studs: Shoutbox imposter buggybill2003...guiness finally won out and Bill showed up just in time. Aaron Jones has what it takes and will get better as he learns the offense. Jordy and Cobb were constantly open across the middle.

Duds: Capers - I think he is done. Same tired schemes. Hundley - meh, had 87 and 18 open all day in the middle. MM - had nothing to lose and sat on a slim lead. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - body launch whiffing and confused in coverage almost every down.

This performance got a solid D for a grade. Hundley needed another week to prepare? If he stands in the pocket he had big plays in front of him.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok had a chance to watch on passing downs, here goes:

Studs: Shoutbox imposter buggybill2003...guiness finally won out and Bill showed up just in time. Aaron Jones has what it takes and will get better as he learns the offense. Jordy and Cobb were constantly open across the middle.

Duds: Capers - I think he is done. Same tired schemes. Hundley - meh, had 87 and 18 open all day in the middle. MM - had nothing to lose and sat on a slim lead. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - body launch whiffing and confused in coverage almost every down.

This performance got a solid D for a grade. Hundley needed another week to prepare? If he stands in the pocket he had big plays in front of him.

I'm not understanding this whole sitting on a lead and conservative talk.

The Packers had a two point lead and the running game was working so why go away from it?

On the second and 4 play, after a good run, I see no issue with calling another run. If the play was blocked well and worked, nobody would call it conservative.

I do have an issue with poor execution on that play and Hundley not changing the play with 9 in the box, but not the call itself.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all we got and TT doubled on it with even more inexperience by signing Callahan......I mean seriously? THAT is the point you bring a seasoned vet in and yeah, I don't even care if it is Kaepercrap......but if Hundley is ineffective or goes down, Callahan is going to be any better?

I do not think taken back up qb position seriously in a long time. Considering how pass heavy we are not vet as a back up is simply a failure of planning.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do not think taken back up qb position seriously in a long time. Considering how pass heavy we are not vet as a back up is simply a failure of planning.

Packers got spoiled by having an iron man like Favre and even with Rodgers, it's been a relatively healthy run, but when you are a team, that as you said, is pass heavy AND is consistently in the running for the playoffs, having a backup QB with some solid experience in the NFL would probably be the smarter plan. Now I have to admit, I would have thought Hundley was more ready than he appears to be, but still have to give him some more time. If this was only a 3-4 game stint for Hundley and he continued to play poorly in losses before Rogers return. I think the Packers missing the playoffs by a game or 2, would really be scrutinized.

Members online

Latest posts