Studs duds saints game

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The notion that Capers' defense is too complicated likely explains why his defenses tend to fold in big moments and big games when the additional stress makes running Capers' scheme even more difficult. We won a super bowl when Capers was forced to adapt his scheme to a bunch of players previously acquired by Thompson and the result was the number 2 scoring defense in the league. But in the years since we've never come close to that kind of dominating defense. Is it because player acquisition has fallen off that badly or is it that the scheme has essentially regressed as it progressively became more complicated. Consider where we've allocated our draft picks and the caliber of players that we've acquired. While we've had defensive heavy drafts for years yet we've struggled to develop these selections, meanwhile with fewer picks devoted to the offensive side of the ball we've managed to pick up a number of impact players. Bahktiari Linsley Adams Lacy and now Jones, who knows how many more impact players we'd have on offense if we weren't forced to shovel 1st and 2nd rouders into the defense just about every year.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our defense is worse at 3rd and long than 3rd and short. When it's 3rd and 2, I am optimistic. But, 3rd and 9... I get worried. :tdown:

Because third and short there's a limited number of reads, our whacky defensive scheme doesnt get in the way of players actually playing.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The notion that Capers' defense is too complicated likely explains why his defenses tend to fold in big moments and big games when the additional stress makes running Capers' scheme even more difficult. We won a super bowl when Capers was forced to adapt his scheme to a bunch of players previously acquired by Thompson and the result was the number 2 scoring defense in the league. But in the years since we've never come close to that kind of dominating defense. Is it because player acquisition has fallen off that badly or is it that the scheme has essentially regressed as it progressively became more complicated. Consider where we've allocated our draft picks and the caliber of players that we've acquired. While we've had defensive heavy drafts for years yet we've struggled to develop these selections, meanwhile with fewer picks devoted to the offensive side of the ball we've managed to pick up a number of impact players. Bahktiari Linsley Adams Lacy and now Jones, who knows how many more impact players we'd have on offense if we weren't forced to shovel 1st and 2nd rouders into the defense just about every year.

That's a really interesting observation. What you're suggesting is that Capers' apparent inability to develop and utilize the players Ted drafts is bringing down the talent level on both sides of the ball. I've never though of it that way before, but it makes a lot of sense.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a really interesting observation. What you're suggesting is that Capers' apparent inability to develop and utilize the players Ted drafts is bringing down the talent level on both sides of the ball. I've never though of it that way before, but it makes a lot of sense.

Well Hyde Hayward and now even Khyri Thornton has turned into a capable backup with the Lions. Kind of makes you wonder what might have been if we didnt need to draft so many DBs in two of the last three drafts. I also wonder if someone like Hawkins might have been able to contribute more last season in a simpler scheme which again might have changed our priorities in this last draft. Maybe Ted drafts someone like TJ Watt if his CB cupboards were looking better? Who knows.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any credit going to Hundley in this thread.
I also don't see any blame either.
I dunno if he makes the list as a stud but I was impressed at his running and showing how tough he was to run it in to gain yards and for a score that way.
It was nice seeing him do his first Lambeau Leap and the fans reaction to him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't see any credit going to Hundley in this thread.
I also don't see any blame either.
I dunno if he makes the list as a stud but I was impressed at his running and showing how tough he was to run it in to gain yards and for a score that way.
It was nice seeing him do his first Lambeau Leap and the fans reaction to him.

Every squirrel finds a nut. Hundley really wasn't finding many nuts out there last Sunday. I just don't see a whole lot to praise him for, although it was a nice Lambeau Leap!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts