Studs and Duds - Buccanears edition

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley a stud? You've got to be joking. The kid is not NFL material. He missed wide open passes all day. He takes sacks and just looks confused a lot of the time.
I was informed by posters that Hundley sucked in the Steelers game because ultimately the Packers lost and he didn't get the job done. How come that amazingly insightful logic dosen't work now? He won, he must have played great.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was informed by posters that Hundley sucked in the Steelers game because ultimately the Packers lost and he didn't get the job done. How come that amazingly insightful logic dosen't work now? He won, he must have played great.

This be a message board here matey, look for logic elsewhere.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Expectations? Against the Steelers, the Pack had a chance to win a game we expected to lose, and they lost. Against the Bucs, there was a very real chance to lose a game we figured to win, and they barely squeaked it out.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one has thoughts on the way Clay Matthews was employed this last game, in particular the way he was used extensively to attack the edges?

No, I'm with you.

I'm not sure what the thoughts are having him play in tighter. I do know that Capers has typically been a "rush first" kind of guy, so maybe he wants Clay as a 6 to help in the run game? But when he's wide (what you call 6 or 7, I'd call 7 or 9) it plays into his game better. IMHO, he's fast and bendy enough to require the tackle worry about the edge. If you don't, he'll win. And then he makes hay off of his counter inside move when the time is right.

If he's not setup with the wide rush, he can't work his counter. It's also part of why he disappeared after the shoulder injury last year. He rushed wide to protect his shoulder and couldn't counter due to pain.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expectations? Against the Steelers, the Pack had a chance to win a game we expected to lose, and they lost. Against the Bucs, there was a very real chance to lose a game we figured to win, and they barely squeaked it out.
Ooooooorrrrrr . . .

The Packers almost won a road game against a very heavily favored opponent in large part because of the stellar play of Hundley.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ooooooorrrrrr . . .

The Packers almost won a road game against a very heavily favored opponent in large part because of the stellar play of Hundley.

Stellar is taking it too far.

He played better than his usual, and was at worst, average. He still made some awful mistakes, but also made some really good plays. He was far from stellar though.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stellar is taking it too far.

He played better than his usual, and was at worst, average. He still made some awful mistakes, but also made some really good plays. He was far from stellar though.
Of course he still made some mistakes. So does Aaron Rodgers in every game he has ever played along with every other QB in history. What if I told you that by the QBR metric, Hundley had a better day than Rodgers average?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course he still made some mistakes. So does Aaron Rodgers in every game he has ever played along with every other QB in history. What if I told you that by the QBR metric, Hundley had a better day than Rodgers average?

QBR is overrated. I don't evaluate a QB based on that. And of course Rodgers makes mistakes. Hundley made glaring mistakes that I do not see hardly any other QB's make.

He had very good moments. He had very awful moments. Overall, average to above average game.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
QBR is overrated. I don't evaluate a QB based on that. And of course Rodgers makes mistakes. Hundley made glaring mistakes that I do not see hardly any other QB's make.

He had very good moments. He had very awful moments. Overall, average to above average game.
Average game based on what standards, though? Sure it would have been an average game for Aaron Rodgers, but based on what we witnessed from Hundley in the previous games before that, by Hundley's standards, it was a really good game for him. The drive to tie the game late in the 4th was big time stuff for a young quarterback.

Like I stated previously, he's got a TON of flaws, but because of my low expectations for him, I think he performed well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Average game based on what standards, though? Sure it would have been an average game for Aaron Rodgers, but based on what we witnessed from Hundley in the previous games before that, by Hundley's standards, it was a really good game for him. The drive to tie the game late in the 4th was big time stuff for a young quarterback.

Like I stated previously, he's got a TON of flaws, but because of my low expectations for him, I think he performed well.

Average to above average for a standard NFL QB.

By Hundley's standards, a stellar game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to debate the words to describe his performance, but I'd take it every week. We'd be winning more and probably sitting with only 3 losses on the year at this point, maybe 2 with that level of play. Overall he has not been good. he has shown flashes of the ability to be good, but it hasn't been sustained for any length of time. They say a running game is a young QB's friend for a reason. Now that we have 2 guys that are healthy and can run, let's see what can happen. and hopefully it's the last game and he plays lights freaking out. i'm going 24 of 29 for 298 and 2 TD's and talks of a 2nd round pick dominate the offseason as we celebrate another Lombardi after the Packers get Rodgers back next week and go on a 7 game win streak with him back in the drivers seat to finish the season and a 9 game streak overall :)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I'm with you.

I'm not sure what the thoughts are having him play in tighter. I do know that Capers has typically been a "rush first" kind of guy, so maybe he wants Clay as a 6 to help in the run game? But when he's wide (what you call 6 or 7, I'd call 7 or 9) it plays into his game better. IMHO, he's fast and bendy enough to require the tackle worry about the edge. If you don't, he'll win. And then he makes hay off of his counter inside move when the time is right.

If he's not setup with the wide rush, he can't work his counter. It's also part of why he disappeared after the shoulder injury last year. He rushed wide to protect his shoulder and couldn't counter due to pain.

I noticed him at 6 tech quite a bit against TB which is a good position for him to both attack the edges and be a part of stunts and twists. But for a few games, Detroit and Pitt, it looked like Clay was used a lot at the 5 tech even against passing formations. Even when he was at the 6 he'd still use a lot of bull rushes as if he was playing QB contain. But while Matthews at the 6 is good for the scheme I wonder if getting him out further wouldn't make him more on an individual mismatch he still has a quick first step but when he's playing faster at the point of contact his ability to bend and change directions can really make him into a load. Put him out at the wide-9 where his physical attributes can really be maximized. If we can rebuild our secondary some time soon I'd like to see a single high safety scheme with an in box safety and both Perry and Matthews playing the 9 tech, I suspect they'd both notch a lot of sacks.

wiinnc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want Matthews to play lights out, help win a super bowl and then take a pay cut.

Latest posts