Studs and Duds - Buccanears edition

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been very ******* Hundley... and my opinion has not changed. I truly believe he does not belong in the NFL. That does not make him a bad guy, nor does it make me want to see bad things happen to him. I know lots of people that don't belong in the NFL... myself included lol, but unfortunately the nature of sports is that you will be criticized if you play badly. My real frustration is why the Packer's organization did not know how bad he really is. Most of his mistakes seem to come from an inability to adjust to the speed of the NFL game and his lack of field presence. When a play does not go the way he is expecting, he seems to have no idea where his number 2 read will be... that and his touch on the ball is terrible whenever he is throwing over the top of anyone.
The Packers should get their 2 plus years and their money back for this guy.
If McMoron is serious when he says stuff like, "We are sticking with him because we invested 2 years..." boy, you sure don't show it.
This is what we got to back up the best? SMH

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
And how many takes did that take to get it right?

Love the comments from 5 months ago where they are all like, "This dude is awesome! He's really good!"
Before they all knew that he would be the one man factory of suck that he is.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs- cm3, Williams
Duds- MM, play calling was twrrible
Hundley- He just panics under pressure
Jordy- not sure if he has lost it but you have to want to get the first down more with 2 minutes left in the game. He went down way to easily.
HHCD- missed tackles and was out if position
Jordy still has it hundley sucks

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Duds - Dix

Studs - Kenny Clark and Jamaal Williams.

Got to say I’m really liking offensive aggression in running the ball. Absolutely loved that nasty stiff arm on the sidelines and really like the way he finishes his runs. He’s punishing people out there.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a great post from packers.com,

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...se-sacks/010cbaec-18ee-4095-9f0f-3031c31f1132

One thing I noticed, on each of these sacks Matthews is either playing a 6 or a 7 tech position. As far as I can tell this is the first game all season in which he was constantly lined up well outside the OTs throughout the game and he was superb as a result. Matthews' primary strength has always been attacking around corners, whether that's on the outside or through a twist on the inside. Out here his presence spreads the protection and helps create other openings when he does rush and when he drops into coverage. Play him more there Dom and let him attack the edge more consistently, he'll produce more sacks and produce more openings for everyone else.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's very rare for someone to actually point out what Capers should have done differently.

Overall, the defense did have a decent day. Not great, but 13 net points and got the stop it needed near the end of regulation.

The third quarter wasn't good, but a big part of it was 3 consecutive 3 and outs by our offense.

I did like Capers defense more on Sunday. Here's what I want to see, A) a lot more of Clay Matthews playing outside of the OT, if he's not rushing between the guards he should either be at the 6 or 7 tech. Him playing out there maximizes his pass rushing ability and opens up more opportunities for everyone else. B) I want to see more inside leverage by our corners, try to heard receivers away from those LBs who can't cover.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds - Dix

Studs - Kenny Clark and Jamaal Williams.

Got to say I’m really liking offensive aggression in running the ball. Absolutely loved that nasty stiff arm on the sidelines and really like the way he finishes his runs. He’s punishing people out there.

I like the difference in style between Williams and Jones, Jones is more of a shifty darter while Williams is more physical workhorse. A little bit of thunder and lightning.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones runs like Adrian Peterson the way he bounces out and gets around the edge. It looks like the Packers have a promising pair of runners in Jones and Williams.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flags flying, holding, holding,holding........

Studs: Williams, Mathews, and Jones.

Hundley did have some problems throughout most of the game, BUT he did make some good runs later and got the overtime drive for the win.

BTW, how well did Aaron Rodgers do in his first year?

It's been said, and Hundley proved it, that he does well with the read option. Why the heck MM doesn't call more of those plays is beyond me? I thought that he was going to scheme plays that were Hundley's strengths. Not seeing any.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been said, and Hundley proved it, that he does well with the read option. Why the heck MM doesn't call more of those plays is beyond me? I thought that he was going to scheme plays that were Hundley's strengths. Not seeing any.
Let’s get the facts straight here, I’m a highly successful nfl coach.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching the national sports media the other day, and someone was talking about how weak the Packers were, I don't know the guy's name. But he said the Packers had no running game. I have to take exception to that. I mean I don't think we're a dominant, elite rushing team by any means, but we're decent. We're actually tied for fifth in the league in yards per attempt at 4.5. I like our young running backs.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where do pirates go to get their ears pierced?
Anyplace where it only costs them a buck an ear!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was watching the national sports media the other day, and someone was talking about how weak the Packers were, I don't know the guy's name. But he said the Packers had no running game. I have to take exception to that. I mean I don't think we're a dominant, elite rushing team by any means, but we're decent. We're actually tied for fifth in the league in yards per attempt at 4.5. I like our young running backs.
these guys just talk, they don't even formulate thoughts anymore. They're handed talking points and run with it regardless of what is right in front of them. They're hired on their ability to be on air personalities and tow the party lines, not on their analytical skills.

It's cool to talk about how weak the Packers are without Rodgers, because it only serves to help their mantra of how great he is when he comes back. Of course the running game wasn't great. Montgomery looked slow and then was hurt, we found Jones and he had some good games and just as he's probably settling in, he gets hurt, so we go with Williams, who has been looking every bit a good runner these past couple games against good defenses too. They're young and with a few weeks under their belts, they appear to only be getting better. Well Jones we need to see if he's back from the injury, but in 1 run, he looked a lot like he did before.

This team is missing adequate QB play. He's been all over the place. Our defense, while not stellar, has been better than most will give credit for. They aren't top 10, but if they're not constantly put in bad positions by an offense that can't seem to get out of its own way at times because of the QB they're better than they'll get credit for. Our offensive line was put thru a ****ing ringer this year and has done better than ok given the circumstances and relative to the rest of the league they've been just fine. We've had a lot of injuries at RB again, and it looks like we have 2 legitimate RB's to move forward with. I really like the way both of them run. People want to say Jordy has lost it, if a guy is open and he can't get a catchable ball thrown to him, has he lost it? He needs more than 3 passes 2 yards behind the LOS thrown to him a game within arm's reach. All 3 of those guys have been open for plays and a ball doesn't even get thrown, do they suck? Allison open for a TD, missed. it happens on a lot of even less "important" plays during the game but we're on to the next before anyone even notices because the ball never got thrown.

I don't want to make it all about Hundley, because I think he's working hard, and he's had moments, but IMO it is our QB position that has hamstrung this team. It's put a ton of pressure on the defensive game and they're built with the goal in mind to trade yards for chances at turnovers. When you don't have the QB to turn those into points or is giving up TO's right back to them, it makes it harder and watching those yards be given up in bunches is already frustrating enough even when we're winning.

anyway, IF, and it's a giant IF, Hundley were able to play adequately. 18-25 completions a game, average a turnover or less, 180-240 yards passing per and we don't get any more injuries, this team could conceivably win the remaining games without Rodgers coming back. This is against teams in the hunt for the playoffs, that's not the sign of a weak team, unless of course the entire league is just weak. Just as great QB play can make a solid team look great, it can make an otherwise good team look bad too.

Anyway i've had no sleep, and my 7 month old puppy **** in his crate a 4 am for the first time ever so I'm ranting :) But I don't need talking heads to tell me what this team is. I watch them every week, unlike them. I'm pretty comfortable with Williams and Jones are RB's and they aren't weak, regardless of what some guy paid to talk says.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I like the difference in style between Williams and Jones, Jones is more of a shifty darter while Williams is more physical workhorse. A little bit of thunder and lightning.
Kudos to the college scouts on this one. Both of these guys run like 2nd rounders. Love what I’m seeing and kudos to the coaching staff for their development and the offensive line to be able to get them gaps to run through.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say the read option would be OK but Hundley would have to be able to throw from it or defenses would catch on in a hurry. Can you throw effectively from that formation?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kudos to the college scouts on this one. Both of these guys run like 2nd rounders. Love what I’m seeing and kudos to the coaching staff for their development and the offensive line to be able to get them gaps to run through.

Yep and Aaon Jones from a small school and while BYU isn't a weakling it's not exactly with the higher echelons of Power 5 schools. Thats always been a strong suit of TT's, find the guys who are undervalued for whatever reason.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one has thoughts on the way Clay Matthews was employed this last game, in particular the way he was used extensively to attack the edges?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, over the past several years I have thought that Clay plays well against bad tackles and poorly against good ones. If they are truly using him differently; then I am for it. He does still have a motor.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could someone explain?
OK
Well, ya see I had to take my dog to the vet last Thursday but then I remembered that I don't have a dog and therefore didn't have to go to the vet.
Saved me a trip and also a lot of money.
But ya know, it's kind of a time loop sorta thing where you take the bubblegum express into the land of past expressions that deal with the colors of tomorrow.
Or in other words:
Which is always the answer for everything and the universe in it.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK
Well, ya see I had to take my dog to the vet last Thursday but then I remembered that I don't have a dog and therefore didn't have to go to the vet.
But ya know, it's kind of a time loop sorta thing where you take the bubblegum express into the land of past expressions that deal with the colors of tomorrow.
Or in other words:
When I was a kid I asked my Grampa 'whats a Buccanear?' He responded tersely in his heavy Norwegian accent, "Dey vat ya Buckin hear widt!"

Which was odd because he was Chinese.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK
Or in other words:
That is funnier than the bucaneer joke.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, over the past several years I have thought that Clay plays well against bad tackles and poorly against good ones. If they are truly using him differently; then I am for it. He does still have a motor.

This is true of most +pass rushers in the league. Its a rare few who genuinely whip OTs one on one, partly because most LTs only appear to be playing one on one. Usually offenses will shift protection towards their LT to force pass rushers to either try and run right through them or around them. If the pass rusher goes inside he'll find himself doubled by a guard and tackle. If the pass rusher relies on speed offenses will fire backs at said pass rusher in obvious passing situations to slow down the outside rush. Is it that Matthews couldn't get home against better OTs or is it that our coverage units struggled to cover and our pass rush couldn't get home as a result?

What I like about Matthews outside at the 6 and 7 tech is it forces offenses to show their hand early which might allow them to fire a blitz and get a free rusher off the opposite side.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, opposing offenses have not needed to help their good L tackle against Clay the past several years. Just one on one and Clay does not get home. Not even close when the tackle is very good.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, opposing offenses have not needed to help their good L tackle against Clay the past several years. Just one on one and Clay does not get home. Not even close when the tackle is very good.

I notice guards slid towards him quite a bit and I also notice RB help when he rushes from outside on quite a few of the obvious passing downs. Just because you only see Matthews on an LT doesn't mean that it's just Matthews vs an LT, protection schemes tend to try and limit the directions in which a pass rusher can go. So slide a guard towards the LT which only results in a double team if the end rusher comes inside. This lets the LT cheat outside in his sets, or fire RBs into the flat with block/pass reads. If the pass rusher comes around the corner the back slows him down with a chip block, if the end rusher works a bull rush or works inside the back moves out into a receiving pattern in the flat. Matthews is at his best turning the corner, running inside twists and stunts or feigning the outside rush and then coming inside off a spin move. Because he isn't a bull rusher it's easier to scheme help towards him without weakening the rest of your offense too much. The advantage of rushing Matthews from a 7 tech is that it's harder to slide guards towards the OT and it's easier to keep the back from chipping Matthews because there's more risk of a blitz elsewhere on the defensive formation.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts