Studs and Duds - Buccanears edition

Packer4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Jamaal Williams - looking better each week.
Brett Hundley - outplayed #1 overall pick Winston. Hundley was drafted the same year, 2015, 146 picks later. Surprised how poorly Winston played, Packers did not capitalize on most of his mistakes.

Matthews, Martinez, and Lowry looked good.

Clark: what an animal. Saw him tossing OL guys around out there.

Duds

MM and play calling- until they figure out how to stop Williams in the run game - feature him! Only a few down the field passes. I would keep short and quick intermediate passes. More QB keepers.

Capers - I know, I know. Amazingly I predicted this. Our defensive players look out of place and susceptible to anything even mildly creative. This defense is just not ready on a weekly basis.

Greg Jennings. I just don't like him

Hundley a stud? You've got to be joking. The kid is not NFL material. He missed wide open passes all day. He takes sacks and just looks confused a lot of the time.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Brett's gum.

I understand that he and Pete Carroll share notes on what gum is best to be chawing on.

Duds:
Packers for barely beating a team that is one game worse than us.

Though I am a fan so it is a win I will take even though I'd rather have a Ravens/Steelers win as well.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Both RB, Defensive Line and I have to say the defense

Duds: Hundley

Defense kept us in the game although the offense couldn't move for most of the game...

Personally, there is too much negativity here, I'm just happy I can still root and hope in December and while I agree, there are areas that need to be improved, I'm still glad we are still somehow in the wildcard race, although Hundley really hasn't showed much during his time as the starting QB

Last edited:

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stud that hasn't been mentioned? Evan Dietrich-Smith. The bad snap near the goal line,and multiple penalties helped the D a lot in the game yesterday:)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Stud that hasn't been mentioned? Evan Dietrich-Smith. The bad snap near the goal line,and multiple penalties helped the D a lot in the game yesterday:)
I guess threatening to egg his house right before the temperature drops tonight worked, eh?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I am really confused as to how people genuinely put Brett Hundley in the Stud category this week? At first I thought it was sarcasm. The only thing he did well was run the football. Other than that, I do not think he could have looked any worse.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Also, I do not think anyone mentioned Vogel. He played really well I thought.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, this was the 1st game I saw Davis return kickoffs really well. Don't know why he did not return any in the 2nd half. No stud though because of his fair catch inside the 10. He has to be aware of where he is.
The reason the D sucked was because even with the sacks; we could not stop them marching up and down the field. There was hardly any adjustment (at least until after we were burned numerous times) on the screens to the outside, and the inside linebackers should have been put (or taught) to be in positions to stop the runs up the middle. That happened too much. Also, we cannot play two (very) deep safties so much. We just get killed on 3rd downs. imho

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Call the QB bootleg play more often.....Hundley is a better runner than a passer.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Running game. I believe in both of these guys (Williams & Jones). Ty Montgomery should be moved back to WR, IMHO.....
Lowry had a dream game.
Trevor Davis, with the exception of calling a fair catch on the 5-6 yardline (ouch!), had an otherwise pretty solid return day.
Offensive line.
Pass rush, at times.
Blocked punt.

Duds: Greg Jennings. Might it's just be the homer in me, but the guy who dissed GB on the way out of town shouldn't be calling those games. He wasn't the worst I've ever heard, but I didn't think he was very good either.
Secondary, most of the time.
Three-and-outs, third quarter.
Hundley missing Geronimo Allison for what should have been an easy touchdown.
Long throws to a clearly well-covered Jordy Nelson, one picked.

Tampa Bay made so many mistakes it's hard to recount them all. They're a bad team, the Pack shouldn't need OT to beat them at Lambeau. Beggars can't be choosers, however, so I'll gladly take it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundleys numbers were terrible, but outside of a sack and that INT I didn't think he was that bad. He wasn't great at connecting downfield and that's not his strong point for sure.

I knew as soon as I saw the play start where he was throwing that ball and I'm thinking don't, there's a guy just waiting back there.

Don't think I'm saying he had a great game, but I do think this is a case where opportunities and final numbers make it look worse than he actually was.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley a stud? You've got to be joking. The kid is not NFL material. He missed wide open passes all day. He takes sacks and just looks confused a lot of the time.

We're spoiled. He's no Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre, and never will be. With time and good coaching, he could become a serviceable back-up quarterback.....Think Brian Hoyer, Josh McCown, Mat Moore, etc.
He lacks the PT those guys have, but possibly has a higher ceiling. His arm strength isn't great, but I've seen worse at this level.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and they retain possession and get a first down ?
I think they can try and advance it for one, yes. But they have to reach the line to gain. Once it goes passed the LOS the best they can do is down it. So you stay away from it, or should. If it's behind LOS it's a live ball for either team but kicking team then has to advance it or it's receiving teams ball where they are tackled

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
and they retain possession and get a first down ?
This happenened in the 2007 Cap One Bowl (Wisconsin-Arkansas). Ken DeBausche got punt blocked, tracked down the ball and then had the presence of mind to complete a pass for first down yardage to Jon Casillas. Penalty on Wisconsin for having about 4 illegal men downfield, forced Arkansas to accept the penalty and Wisconsin got another chance to punt, resulting in a swing of about 40 yards in field position. Very big play by DeBausche in a tight, defensive game. Good to have guys out there thinking.

NJPackfan..

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they can try and advance it for one, yes. But they have to reach the line to gain. Once it goes passed the LOS the best they can do is down it. So you stay away from it, or should. If it's behind LOS it's a live ball for either team but kicking team then has to advance it or it's receiving teams ball where they are tackled

Think I got it now......If the kicking team recovers a blocked punt behind the LOS.....it's just a failed fourth down. I guess if the receiving team touches the ball anywhere on the other side of the LOS it's a live ball.

Thanks

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really appreciate this thread. I was unable to watch the majority of the game due to some health issues with my old man. It's nice to be able to get a feel for who did what from regular fans like me. Hundley's line certainly wasn't pretty but I don't see him getting crushed all that much. It sounds like many are laying the blame at MMc's feet. Williams appears to be coming into his own and Jones' run was awesome. It's so nice to see an actual run game we can use as more than just a decoy for PA.

I see HHCD name pop up a few times...again. I am shocked at his regression this season. The kid seems to have his head on straight and all the physical talent to be as good as he wants to be. Something is off with him and I can't put a finger on it? Hopefully he can figure it out. It does seem like DRandall has recaptured some of the play he displayed in his rookie season. Just get a W next week over the hapless Brownies and you never know...

Thanks again for all the good info folks. I really do appreciate it. G P G !

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're spoiled. He's no Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre, and never will be. With time and good coaching, he could become a serviceable back-up quarterback.....Think Brian Hoyer, Josh McCown, Mat Moore, etc.
He lacks the PT those guys have, but possibly has a higher ceiling. His arm strength isn't great, but I've seen worse at this level.
BH is not even good enough to carry those guy's jock straps. He always seems to stink it up, we just won this game despite his terrible gameplay. After this season I would be surprised to see him on any team's roster. It's not a matter of being spoiled, he just throws more INT's than TD's, and completes only about 50% of his passes.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BH is not even good enough to carry those guy's jock straps. He always seems to stink it up, we just won this game despite his terrible gameplay. After this season I would be surprised to see him on any team's roster. It's not a matter of being spoiled, he just throws more INT's than TD's, and completes only about 50% of his passes.
I have been very ******* Hundley... and my opinion has not changed. I truly believe he does not belong in the NFL. That does not make him a bad guy, nor does it make me want to see bad things happen to him. I know lots of people that don't belong in the NFL... myself included lol, but unfortunately the nature of sports is that you will be criticized if you play badly. My real frustration is why the Packer's organization did not know how bad he really is. Most of his mistakes seem to come from an inability to adjust to the speed of the NFL game and his lack of field presence. When a play does not go the way he is expecting, he seems to have no idea where his number 2 read will be... that and his touch on the ball is terrible whenever he is throwing over the top of anyone.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mentioned the entire Buccaneers team in my assessment. They handed us the game on a silver platter.

Staff online

Members online