Still don’t have a good backup qb and Clay needs to go.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Callahan would have been cheap and he at least got the ball into the receiver's hands. Its not his fault that Bennet took a powder when Rogers went down and the rest of the team followed suit. Huntley struggled to do that with even full reps under the direct guidance of "widely successful head coach" Mayor McCheese and his comedy stylings of making Kaepernick lite try to throw like he was Rogers. Callahan also would have been considerably cheaper to keep on roster than either Huntley or Kiser, without the horrendous turnovers. Flynn was rocking a bar stool when he got called back, too, so citing the vast wisdom of Cleveland cutting him as a reason is not very compelling. There were numerous veterans out there we could have signed without trading picks for a Cleveland QB failure. I mean, Tyrod Tailor was out there for less money and no picks and he was better than Kiser has ever been, as one example. If we are not grooming Rogers replacement, we need a veteran handoff jockey. We have neither and we paid extra for that situation.
I was going to respond to each error individually but decided that time spent with my wife and family was more important. I really don't have time to detail EVERYTHING that is factually wrong in this post, let alone try to convince you of it.

Phazael

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bookmark this post so when the DeShone Kiser era starts (probably when Rogers gets cheap shotted halfway through the first quarter by the Vikes again on another McCarthy slow developing pass play) and we are basking in the glory of his (still) two turnovers lost per game average, we can remember that we could have had Callahan (or frankly no one) for far less money and no draft picks, instead of giving Cleveland an extra DB and draft position for yet another QB they benched. Let me look into my crystal ball and predict this: McMuffin will claim he needs a full set of reps and he will look the same or worse the following week or five, just like Huntley did. Then he will get cut at the end of the season. At least with Huntley no one knew he would suck, but Kiser comes with a years worth of tape removing all doubt.

Don't get me wrong, if he was out there on waivers or cheap free agent market? Yeah his level of suck is acceptable, because lets face it, McDuff cannot win without Rogers playing out of his mind constantly anyhow, so why not get the first round pick when 12 goes down. My point is trading ANYTHING for this guy who was clearly destined to either be a Dolphin or on waivers when cheaper alternatives were out there was wasting money. And this is a team that cut Kuhn for Ripfumbleski to save chicken feed, in cap terms. Offensive Genius and Amateur Comedian Mike McCarthy had a whole year of tape to look at (and a preseason where Huntly put up comparable numbers of all people) and we still payed money for this turd. I am fine with give up filler on a roster, especially when 12 is sponging up a lot of our cap, but literally a dozen guys on waivers would be as good as Kiser for much less.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no was on earth that Rodgers is missing this game. Because he and everyone else in the history of the universe knows the Packers have no shot, and I mean none, to win if he doesn't play. And it's because the higher ups have failed to bring in a competent backup in case Rodgers gets hurt. Let's say Brees is in the same boat as Rodgers is now. He and Payton would feel comfortable enough to go with Bridgewater one week and give Brees a rest. And if Brady needed a week off, he and Belechick would feel comfortab;e enough with even Hoyer. Even Ryan Fitzpatrick had a hell of a game Sunday. Instead we get Hundley and Kizer, who's even worse than Hundley. I know he wouldn't have forced that pick 6. I'm tired of the excuses Kizer gets for being a terrible quarterback. He played in Cleveland. The O-line sucked. He doesn't know the system yet. I've seen him play for a season and nine minutes. He sucks. And for anyone to say any differently is just laughable and can't be taken seriously.

D

Deleted member 6794

In hindsight, I think the other offensive players on the Packers during those years probably had more to do with Flynn's success than Flynn's actual QB abilities.

While Flynn didn't have success with other teams he was a great fit for the Packers scheme and was definitely one of the reasons the offense didn't miss a huge beat without Rodgers.

I'm not sure what people expect. He is a one year player with lots of potential. Kizer has shown significant improvement in his skill set. That should make people excited - he is working hard to get better.

It's definitely foolish to give up on Kizer after he threw a total of seven passes vs. the Bears. While there's no doubt he has potential he didn't look improved over last season on Sunday by any means.

Callahan would have been cheap and he at least got the ball into the receiver's hands. Callahan also would have been considerably cheaper to keep on roster than either Huntley or Kiser, without the horrendous turnovers. I mean, Tyrod Tailor was out there for less money and no picks and he was better than Kiser has ever been, as one example.

Kizer is definitely a more talented quarterback than Callahan. In addition he's only counting $690K towards the Packers cap, which is only $200K above the rookie minimum. On the other hand the Browns use $16 million of their cap space on Taylor this season.

It seems Randall was considered to be a locker room cancer, therefore getting something in return instead of releasing him was a smart move by Gutekunst.

There is no was on earth that Rodgers is missing this game. Because he and everyone else in the history of the universe knows the Packers have no shot, and I mean none, to win if he doesn't play. And it's because the higher ups have failed to bring in a competent backup in case Rodgers gets hurt. Let's say Brees is in the same boat as Rodgers is now. He and Payton would feel comfortable enough to go with Bridgewater one week and give Brees a rest. And if Brady needed a week off, he and Belechick would feel comfortab;e enough with even Hoyer. Even Ryan Fitzpatrick had a hell of a game Sunday. Instead we get Hundley and Kizer, who's even worse than Hundley. I know he wouldn't have forced that pick 6. I'm tired of the excuses Kizer gets for being a terrible quarterback. He played in Cleveland. The O-line sucked. He doesn't know the system yet. I've seen him play for a season and nine minutes. He sucks. And for anyone to say any differently is just laughable and can't be taken seriously.

I agree that it might be smart to have a veteran backup who has already had success in the league going forward.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer makes his fair share of mistakes. No doubt about that. His talent is undeniable though. Big arm, big body, mobile, flashes accuracy...it’s hard not to be enamored by his tools. Just has to speed up his mental processing (which is difficult).

Really makes me wish players could practice kind they used to. When MM could do his QB camp, we really reaped the benefits of that.

Anyways, Kizer right now is really raw, really needs seasoning, but has the physical raw talent to be a top tier NFL QB if he develops. That’s worth the risk. And don’t forget, Rodgers sat for 3 years. He wasn’t lighting the NFL on fire his first two years either. He developed A TON in those few years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kizer makes his fair share of mistakes. No doubt about that. His talent is undeniable though. Big arm, big body, mobile, flashes accuracy...it’s hard not to be enamored by his tools. Just has to speed up his mental processing (which is difficult).

Really makes me wish players could practice kind they used to. When MM could do his QB camp, we really reaped the benefits of that.

Anyways, Kizer right now is really raw, really needs seasoning, but has the physical raw talent to be a top tier NFL QB if he develops. That’s worth the risk. And don’t forget, Rodgers sat for 3 years. He wasn’t lighting the NFL on fire his first two years either. He developed A TON in those few years.

I agree that it's mind-boggling how many Packers fans don't realize that Kizer has all the tools necessary to develop into at least a decent starting quarterback at the pro level. There's no guarantee he will get the mental aspect of the game down at any point in his career though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And don’t forget, Rodgers sat for 3 years. He wasn’t lighting the NFL on fire his first two years either. He developed A TON in those few years.
There were pack fans calling for Rodgers to be replaced after his first stint playing as well. Packers ended up losing to the cowboys despite playing Rodgers playing well. The level of analysis was the same then as now, we lost, therefore the player sucks.

The thing about Kizer is he is improving. Significantly. That tells me he is studying, working hard, and listening to his coaches. That is a very good sign. You have to look beyond 2 plays against the bears and see him for what he is. It is very difficult playing QB and having an OL getting absolutely manhandled by the DL/LBs is that much more difficult.

D

Deleted member 6794

The thing about Kizer is he is improving. Significantly.

I think that's where a lot of reasonable fans disagree with you. There's no evidence Kizer has improved over last season, especially when talking about significantly.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's where a lot of reasonable fans disagree with you. There's no evidence Kizer has improved over last season, especially when talking about significantly.
And the 'reasonable' fan bases his opinion on on what exactly? The skills he displayed or the fact that he had 2 turnovers?

D

Deleted member 6794

And the 'reasonable' fan bases his opinion on on what exactly? The skills he displayed or the fact that he had 2 turnovers?

Kizer was able to move the ball at times with the Browns last season as well but turned it over way too often. Him turning over the ball twice on only 14 snaps doesn't indicate he has improved in that area by any means.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer was able to move the ball at times with the Browns last season as well but turned it over way too often. Him turning over the ball twice on only 14 snaps doesn't indicate he has improved in that area by any means.
You see, that's exacly what I am saying. You are using stats to gauge his performance. That negates the improvements he has made in his footwork and pocket movement. I feel he showed more poise and leadership as well. I am encouraged.

D

Deleted member 6794

You see, that's exacly what I am saying. You are using stats to gauge his performance. That negates the improvements he has made in his footwork and pocket movement. I feel he showed more poise and leadership as well. I am encouraged.

Nothing of it matters as long as Kizer can't take care of the football though.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
There were pack fans calling for Rodgers to be replaced after his first stint playing as well. Packers ended up losing to the cowboys despite playing Rodgers playing well. The level of analysis was the same then as now, we lost, therefore the player sucks.

The thing about Kizer is he is improving. Significantly. That tells me he is studying, working hard, and listening to his coaches. That is a very good sign. You have to look beyond 2 plays against the bears and see him for what he is. It is very difficult playing QB and having an OL getting absolutely manhandled by the DL/LBs is that much more difficult.

Know what? My then teenage son called it and I remember it plain as day ... you watch Dad, Rodgers is gonna be a BIG deal. I didn't see it ... he wanted to get a Rodgers jersey right out of the blocks. Me? I was a Favre guy right up to the moment he quasi/sorta/kinda-retired and then was all in on the move forward.

The points you make about Kizer in your second paragraph are probably more true of that time when Favre had to replace Majik. Of course the internet didn't exist then ... nor did Fantasy Football, so I had to make due with talking with the old geezers at the barbershop and in the bars who positively despised Favre and had their fill of Holmgren already when he lost his first 4 or 5 games. I mean Favre looked sooooo out of his league most of the time that first season ... but then would do something that would make you say .... hmmm wait a minute ... now, I don't think we'll see Kizer ever light anything up the way Favre did coming out but ... you've got to give the kid a chance to learn how to be an NFL QB. Rodgers got to learn how to not be a Tedford quarterback...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it in the offseason and I'll say it again, I think we should have signed a veteran QB that could fill in competently in case Rodgers gets injured. Fitzpatrick, McCown, Hoyer, etc.
That is how I feel to.
I don't have any names but yeah, they should go after someone better than a rookie with experience.

It just seems to me that McMoron doesn't like to make changes and wants to keep everything the same even though it doesn't work.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Know what? My then teenage son called it and I remember it plain as day ... you watch Dad, Rodgers is gonna be a BIG deal. I didn't see it ... he wanted to get a Rodgers jersey right out of the blocks. Me? I was a Favre guy right up to the moment he quasi/sorta/kinda-retired and then was all in on the move forward.

The points you make about Kizer in your second paragraph are probably more true of that time when Favre had to replace Majik. Of course the internet didn't exist then ... nor did Fantasy Football, so I had to make due with talking with the old geezers at the barbershop and in the bars who positively despised Favre and had their fill of Holmgren already when he lost his first 4 or 5 games. I mean Favre looked sooooo out of his league most of the time that first season ... but then would do something that would make you say .... hmmm wait a minute ... now, I don't think we'll see Kizer ever light anything up the way Favre did coming out but ... you've got to give the kid a chance to learn how to be an NFL QB. Rodgers got to learn how to not be a Tedford quarterback...
A-Rod is our main QB right now and if anything happens to him again, there goes our season.
This is not the time or place for a learning QB.
We need game experience winning veterans to back him up.
Not rookie kids.