Steven Jackson rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I have stated it a few times...He gets this week, and the bye and then another full week before we play the Lions...I know he can play in the Lions game and make a difference, I just dont think by the Lions game he would have the entire playbook figured out...

Thats all I am saying..He wont have the entire playbook figured out by Lions game

Point taken, but the Lions can't stop the run anyway. We still have time to get this thing corrected. But, IMO, by late November/ early December, we need to have a run game that yields consistent production. I think by then he'll have picked up most if not all of it.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had 18 carries against NO and 20 against Chicago. Numbers were low in only first game and last game when he got hurt.

5 @IND L 27-30 7 20 2.9 9 0 2 21 10.5 18 0 -- --
4 NO W 28-27 18 84 4.7 9 0 4 22 5.5 11 0 -- --
3 @SEA L 12-14 17 45 2.6 9 1 4 19 4.8 8 0 1 0
2 CHI W 23-10 20 81 4.1 11 0 4 35 8.8 17 0 -- --
1 SF L 22-30 9 18 2.0 4 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I already discussed that

He didnt get lot of carries until 5 weeks here..

4 weeks he only had 8

You also have to remember, Benson joined the Packers on Aug. 13th, 10 days later he had 6 carries for 38 yards against the Bengals. In the regular season he had 71 carries before he got hurt. (not 8 in the first 4 weeks) It wasn't just learning the playbook that kept the Packers from going full out with Benson, it was conditioning, trust and still believing they had something in their other backs. Please don't use "learning the playbook" as a reason the Packers won't trade for Jackson at this point in the season. He or anyone can learn enough to have an impact. Bottom line if the Packers don't trade for him, TT didn't want to give up any of his draft choices for a maybe. All I am saying is....I think the maybe is worth a 3rd rounder for Jackson.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wrong LTF on Benson carries. He had 18 carries against NO and 20 against Chicago. Numbers were low in only first game and last game when he got hurt.

5 @IND L 27-30 7 20 2.9 9 0 2 21 10.5 18 0 -- --
4 NO W 28-27 18 84 4.7 9 0 4 22 5.5 11 0 -- --
3 @SEA L 12-14 17 45 2.6 9 1 4 19 4.8 8 0 1 0
2 CHI W 23-10 20 81 4.1 11 0 4 35 8.8 17 0 -- --
1 SF L 22-30 9 18 2.0 4 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- --

This was post 32 on this thread by me

I did say he was signed in pre season....more specifically Aug 12th...So had 3 weeks of pre season...

Nine touches vs the Niners on Sept 9...That was about one full month of learning playbook...I said new guy might get 10 touches when he has a slight grasp..One would say Benson had a grasp on book for 1st week of the season.

Then 2nd game he got 20 carries...5 weeks after being signed He knew enough to play enough.

What am I wrong about?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You also have to remember, Benson joined the Packers on Aug. 13th, 10 days later he had 6 carries for 38 yards against the Bengals. In the regular season he had 71 carries before he got hurt. (not 8 in the first 4 weeks) It wasn't just learning the playbook that kept the Packers from going full out with Benson, it was conditioning, trust and still believing they had something in their other backs.

Please don't use "learning the playbook" as a reason the Packers won't trade for Jackson at this point in the season. He or anyone can learn enough to have an impact. Bottom line if the Packers don't trade for him, TT didn't want to give up any of his draft choices for a maybe. All I am saying is....I think the maybe is worth a 3rd rounder for Jackson.

I think people do not read my posts, they just skim...2 post on this page I am misquoted

I never ONCE said they wouldnt trade for anyone cuz they cant learn the play book

Post 105 page 5

Takes a while to learn the book and by the time said rb has somewhat grasp on it, he wont get but maybe 10 touches...Then when he really knows the book Benson is back

How long was it before Benson was really playing more than a handfull of touches, and he was picked up in preseason?

But will say this..... the time comes perfect to get a rb..Thursday is the deadline..Say they get someone then, he would have over 3 weeks to learn the book

Never once said dont trade because they cant learn book

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I already discussed that

He didnt get lot of carries until 5 weeks here..

4 weeks he only had 8

Ahhhhhhh

13champs is talking about this..

I had a typo...meant 9 carries not 8...It was niner game..That was his 4th week here..

His 5th week was Chicago and he had 20

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who the RB is when the OL can't block. Can't open up anything close to a hole 95% of the run plays. And that's not against 8-men fronts either, since they fear our passing game.

Campen is more of a problem than Benson, Green, Starks, Kuhn, etc.

We went to a Zone blocking scheme, and then lost the guys who knew how to teach it properly. Those guys we have don't know how to do it.... I think we've all seen the repeat where the RB gets it and before he gets to the line, there's at least one LB & one DL right there at the LOS.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter who the RB is when the OL can't block. Can't open up anything close to a hole 95% of the run plays. And that's not against 8-men fronts either, since they fear our passing game.

Campen is more of a problem than Benson, Green, Starks, Kuhn, etc.

We went to a Zone blocking scheme, and then lost the guys who knew how to teach it properly. Those guys we have don't know how to do it.... I think we've all seen the repeat where the RB gets it and before he gets to the line, there's at least one LB & one DL right there at the LOS.

H

HardRightEdge

As reported by the AP:

Coach Jeff Fisher did his best to quash persistent rumors, saying Tuesday that the Rams aren't shopping Jackson and have not been getting calls about him, either.

"The Steven Jackson rumors are rumors," Fisher said. "He's our running back and we're not calling around, nor are we getting calls for that matter. Put that to rest."

Or this is what needs to be said when you cannot get the deal you want. In any event, the story is dead.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LTF, I certainly didn't get you were including preseason nor apparently did Pokerbrat2000. Lots of guys don't play or play very little in preseason. In fact a lot of starters don't even suit up for the last preseason game. Also, Benson not playing in preseason was more of a conditioning thing rather than unfamiliarity with the offense as I recall.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As reported by the AP:

Coach Jeff Fisher did his best to quash persistent rumors, saying Tuesday that the Rams aren't shopping Jackson and have not been getting calls about him, either.

"The Steven Jackson rumors are rumors," Fisher said. "He's our running back and we're not calling around, nor are we getting calls for that matter. Put that to rest."

Or this is what needs to be said when you cannot get the deal you want. In any event, the story is dead.

Of course Fisher is going to say that, if the Rams can't get a deal done, how does it make them look if they say they are trying to get rid of Jackson and don't. This story isn't dead until after tomorrow. If nothing else, it brings us Packer fans "closer or further" apart in discussing how WE would run the team :D

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LTF, I certainly didn't get you were including preseason nor apparently did pokerbrat2000. Lots of guys don't play or play very little in preseason. In fact a lot of starters don't even suit up for the last preseason game.

Proof once again people dont read everything I post...

page 5 post 110

I did say he was signed in pre season....more specifically Aug 12th...So had 3 weeks of pre season...

Nine touches vs the Niners on Sept 9...That was about one full month of learning playbook...I said new guy might get 10 touches when he has a slight grasp..One would say Benson had a grasp on book for 1st week of the season.

Then 2nd game he got 20 carries...5 weeks after being signed He knew enough to play enough.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
:whistling: If you haven't read it yet, Pete Dougherty wrote a great article on this subject yesterday. I am a newbie here and was trying to search the rules as to if I can post the link to it or not. If I can and you want to read it, let me know and I will post. Bottom line here is TT and his lack of desire to give up draft choices. He wouldn't give up a 3rd (which happened to be Alex Green) for a 24 year old Marshawn Lynch back in 2010.....so why would he do the same for an almost done Jackson. According to Pete and I agree, the only way he does this, is if McCarthy puts the heat on him by saying "We have to have a runner, and we need to get somebody in here."

I'm in that camp, Benson was getting it done with the same O line, Green isn't. At best, Benson might be back for the Playoffs (if we make it to the playoffs).....but at what level? Oh what a 1-2 punch with Jackson and Benson running through the playoffs! Make the move TT, if there is a move to be made for Jackson or even DeAngelo Williams.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the best running backs can make good yardage behind a suspect o-line...just look at Barry sanders for example. Green nor Starks have the talent to make this very suspect o-line look at least average. If you bring in a guy who can get his own yards and demand the respect of extra attention from the defense it makes life easier for #12. I'm sure he would love to be able to rely on a running game so he's not constantly in 3rd and long. As good as Rodgers is it's hard for any qb to be effective when he's constantly behind on the down and distance.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even the best running backs can make good yardage behind a suspect o-line...just look at Barry sanders for example. Green nor Starks have the talent to make this very suspect o-line look at least average. If you bring in a guy who can get his own yards and demand the respect of extra attention from the defense it makes life easier for #12. I'm sure he would love to be able to rely on a running game so he's not constantly in 3rd and long. As good as Rodgers is it's hard for any qb to be effective when he's constantly behind on the down and distance.

I couldn't agree with you more Rodell......did you see what happened on Sunday when Rashad Jennings was hit or surrounded by tacklers, he still picked up an additional 1-4 yards, it was driving me nuts! When Green was getting hit, he was going backwards or falling down! If you can't carry the pile like a Benson.....then bounce outside at first contact, Green lacks this. Not as big of a knock on Green as it is the Packers running back coach Alex Van Pelt.

Are the Packers going to be effective on offense without a running game in January, when the road to the Superbowl will be running through cities like Chicago, New York and maybe Green Bay?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree Green looks miscast as the workhorse RB but I don't agree Starks would be if he's healthy and can stay healthy. Starks at least has/had the ability to fall forward upon contact, if Green had that ability he still wouldn't be the answer but he would have been better. I also think Starks runs with more power and determination than Green has shown so far.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
:whistling: If you haven't read it yet, Pete Dougherty wrote a great article on this subject yesterday. I am a newbie here and was trying to search the rules as to if I can post the link to it or not. If I can and you want to read it, let me know and I will post. Bottom line here is TT and his lack of desire to give up draft choices. He wouldn't give up a 3rd (which happened to be Alex Green) for a 24 year old Marshawn Lynch back in 2010.....so why would he do the same for an almost done Jackson. According to Pete and I agree, the only way he does this, is if McCarthy puts the heat on him by saying "We have to have a runner, and we need to get somebody in here."

I'm in that camp, Benson was getting it done with the same O line, Green isn't. At best, Benson might be back for the Playoffs (if we make it to the playoffs).....but at what level? Oh what a 1-2 punch with Jackson and Benson running through the playoffs! Make the move TT, if there is a move to be made for Jackson or even DeAngelo Williams.

Rules are provide a link...Then you can paste parts of article that will get your point across...But do not post entire article

And no links or pieces from a pay site

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree Green looks miscast as the workhorse RB but I don't agree Starks would be if he's healthy and can stay healthy. Starks at least has/had the ability to fall forward upon contact, if Green had that ability he still wouldn't be the answer but he would have been better. I also think Starks runs with more power and determination than Green has shown so far.

What we have is no other options so Green gets it by default.. We did have Saine as another option but he got hurt and is out..People forget we had him too..not saying he was better than anyone, he was another option.

You are right that Green isnt a workhorse..I think he is more of Tony Fisher type back...Good for screens, pitches, and out of backfield short passes..

Someone said if they saw Green go right into the line where there are 8 guys he will scream..He does that way to much and doesnt cut to outside...Maybe his vision is real poor to see when he needs to bounce it out..

That is why I say for him, pitch type hand offs would be better suited for him

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rules are provide a link...Then you can paste parts of article that will get your point across...But do not post entire article

And no links or pieces from a pay site

Thanks for taking the time to clarify that LTF. Here is the link to the Pete Dougherty article. I think it was very well done on the Steven Jackson debate

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121030/PKR01/121030060/Green-Bay-Packers-trade-for-running-back-doesn-t-seem-likely?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to clarify that LTF. Here is the link to the Pete Dougherty article. I think it was very well done on the Steven Jackson debate

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20121030/PKR01/121030060/Green-Bay-Packers-trade-for-running-back-doesn-t-seem-likely?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

He mentions Pack have 8 million in cap space...I think Steve Wyche just this morning said Pack dont have the cap room to get Jackson? Why do we have two conflicting reports..But I trust Pete to be right..

Only thing with the 8 mill as Pete points out is that we need that to extend some guys..

I am sure they are working on the numbers they need and maybe that will stop them from getting Jackson and his 3.5 mill they would owe

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

I wouldn't get too excited about Benson and having him come back anytime sooner then the Playoffs, if at all this year. The Jets put Santonio Holmes on IR (not IRE like Benson) with the same injury and he suffered it before Benson. For a running back, most experts say expect 6 months for full recovery not 6 weeks. But hey, I believe in miracles!

If we don't make a trade for a back by 3 pm tomorrow, all we can hope for is for Starks to show us his old form or Alex Green to be fitted for a seeing eye dog, to get us through the rest of the regular season and probably any playoffs.

H

HardRightEdge

Mind reading?

Still trying to accuse me of typing something and you are wrong...Proof once again people dont read everything I post...

page 5 post 110

It was clear to me you included preseason...no mind reading required.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He mentions Pack have 8 million in cap space...I think Steve Wyche just this morning said Pack dont have the cap room to get Jackson? Why do we have two conflicting reports..But I trust Pete to be right..

Only thing with the 8 mill as Pete points out is that we need that to extend some guys..

I am sure they are working on the numbers they need and maybe that will stop them from getting Jackson and his 3.5 mill they would owe

Yes, I put a lot of faith in Pete, he knows his stuff. As far as cap space, that is always a complicated formula and leaves a lot of people, reporters included guessing. Deals can be made and numbers can be worked out. All I can sit here and think is that the Packers are truly a legit Super Bowl team but are missing the one crucial part, a running game, more specific a running back. If they were 3-5 we wouldn't be discussing this, but they are 5-3 and have looked superior at times, with the exception of a running game. So if I am TT, which thank god I am not, and I can swing a deal for a proven back that doesn't bankrupt the Packers and only costs a 3rd rounder, I go for it. We are not a team in the middle of rebuilding and in dire need to stockpile draft choices. As I previously wrote, in the last 14 years we have had three 3rd rounders actually "pan out", none of whom are players we couldn't do without today (Finley, Jones and Burnett). Although, I am loving Jones this year! Anyways, TT is putting way too much value on a 3rd rounder and what he could potentially bring. This all being said with the big "IF" we could get Jackson or DeAngelo for a 3rd rounder.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get too excited about Benson and having him come back anytime sooner then the Playoffs, if at all this year. The Jets put Santonio Holmes on IR (not IRE like Benson) with the same injury and he suffered it before Benson. For a running back, most experts say expect 6 months for full recovery not 6 weeks. But hey, I believe in miracles!

If we don't make a trade for a back by 3 pm tomorrow, all we can hope for is for Starks to show us his old form or Alex Green to be fitted for a seeing eye dog, to get us through the rest of the regular season and probably any playoffs.

Holmes -- cant find if he had a tear/broken bone....But did have surgery..

This says Ced was just a sprain..

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...news.asp?sport=NFL&id=3139&line=246040&spln=1

Cedric Benson (foot, I.R./designated for return) expects to shed his walking boot by next week.
Benson says he's been unable to put any weight on the Lisfranc sprain in his left foot

This probably fits Ced's injury and out of boot at 6 weeks...But if he is with out boot now..that is only 3 weeks..But cant play till Dec 9th?? Det, Chic, Tenn and Minny would be the last 4 games

Treatment for a Lisfranc injury depends on the severity of the injury. If the bones have not been forced out of position, you will probably have to wear a cast and refrain from putting weight on the foot for about six weeks. When the cast is removed, you may have to wear a rigid arch support. Your orthopaedist will also recommend foot exercises to build strength and help restore full range of motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts