Steven Jackson rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
At least Aaron came out today and said that the quantity of runs is integral to the success however the quality of the runs is less than desirable.

That is alot better than hearing MM and Clements talk about how Green has "earned" playing time because he has put in the work during practice.

I don't want to hear that. I am hoping that was more of a dig at Starks for practicing poorly and for sitting out of Fridays practice with an illness.

So who would you play instead of Green? Giving everyone that was at practice last week?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So who would you play instead of Green? Giving everyone that was at practice last week?
I would have rather heard something along the lines of " The run game isn't what it needs to be right now. We are always looking at all options to improve the team. We will go with a mix of Alex and James and maybe even activate and get White some touches and then go with what works. Alex will start."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
:eek: watching the clock....come on TT pull the trigger...7 hrs before we face the next 5 games (minimum) without a capable running back. :confused:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Will you throw the reserved parking sign from your avatar? -Please toss the reserved parking sign from your avatar. (j/k)

LOL :roflmao: JB....this coming from the guy who has Cutler getting "Pile Drived" for his Avatar LOL Here I thought they came up with the saying "After further review Da Bears still suck" from the infamous Nov. 5th, 1989 Game.....but you give new meaning to it with that Avatar :D

If you want to relive that great moment, here is the link.....that day....there was an instant replay that actually worked!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What are your opinions of picking up LeGarrette Blount from TB? Sounds like a late round pick will get him, he's 25, some decent history and at minimum could contribute to an otherwise pathetic running game.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are your opinions of picking up LeGarrette Blount from TB? Sounds like a late round pick will get him, he's 25, some decent history and at minimum could contribute to an otherwise pathetic running game.
I love the sound of that because he can run in beast mode and break tackles and get extra yards. He is good at everything Green and Starks are bad at. Having him as the traditional running back and those 2 mixing in and working as the 3rd down backs would be ideal but it won't happen. TT and MM seem hell bent on staying the course with the guys that are on the team.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I love the sound of that because he can run in beast mode and break tackles and get extra yards. He is good at everything Green and Starks are bad at. Having him as the traditional running back and those 2 mixing in and working as the 3rd down backs would be ideal but it won't happen. TT and MM seem hell bent on staying the course with the guys that are on the team.

I agree with you on TT being hell bent on keeping draft picks....his only downside. Blount would come cheap too, something TT DOES like. It just doesn't make sense to me that he won't pull the trigger on the missing piece. Not that Blount or Jackson are a sure thing for taking us deep into the playoffs, but they sure beat the present options.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with you on TT being hell bent on keeping draft picks....his only downside.
That's Thompson's upside IMO - that's the cornerstone of how he's built the team. In another thread someone suggested trading a second rounder for Ben Tate (who I have read has frustrated his HC by being injured "too much"). Here are some of Thompson's second round picks: Nick Collins, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, pick to trade up for Clay, Randall Cobb, and most recently Worthy and Hayward. Trading a lower round pick obviously isn't as big a deal but I think Thompson and staff are looking at players available vs. Green, Starks and perhaps most importantly, the return of Benson sometime in December.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Since today is the last day any trades can happen, will be locking it tomorrow morning..

So do not be alarmed when you see it locked

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since today is the last day any trades can happen, will be locking it tomorrow morning..

So do not be alarmed when you see it locked
Ah good I'm about tired of this whole arguement. Seems to come up the last 3 years.

BrettsFavor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IBTL :p

Actually, I don't mind if they (since the deadline has passed) traded a 3rd for a back; but I would expect someone like Jackson or Williams.

If they don't my guess is Benson's injury is not bad enough that he won't be back. And, so long as they can keep winning games, it doesn't hurt to stick with Green & Starks

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
**** and the with passage of time.......we are left with Green and Starks :poop:

Hope this move, or lack there of...doesn't come back and bite the Pack in the ****.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's Thompson's upside IMO - that's the cornerstone of how he's built the team. In another thread someone suggested trading a second rounder for Ben Tate (who I have read has frustrated his HC by being injured "too much"). Here are some of Thompson's second round picks: Nick Collins, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson, pick to trade up for Clay, Randall Cobb, and most recently Worthy and Hayward. Trading a lower round pick obviously isn't as big a deal but I think Thompson and staff are looking at players available vs. Green, Starks and perhaps most importantly, the return of Benson sometime in December.

I agree with you on keeping your first and second round picks, no question. But beyond the second round, history has shown its a crapshoot. With Tampa Bay reportedly willing to take a 7th round pick in exchange for Blount, I didn't see that even out of TT's reach. If nothing else, Blount was insurance if Starks or Green go down. Oh well didn't happen.....hoping the next thread to open up doesn't read "Down to 1 healthy sub-par back...now what?"

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you on keeping your first and second round picks, no question. But beyond the second round, history has shown its a crapshoot. With Tampa Bay reportedly willing to take a 7th round pick in exchange for Blount, I didn't see that even out of TT's reach. If nothing else, Blount was insurance if Starks or Green go down. Oh well didn't happen.....hoping the next thread to open up doesn't read "Down to 1 healthy sub-par back...now what?"

History has also shown that signing FAs is a bigger crapshoot.

DJ Smith(6)
Davon House(4)
DJ Williams (5)
Newhouse (5)
Brad Jones (7)
Sitton (4)
Bishop (6)
Crosby (6)

and on . . .

All these players taken after the 3rd round and all of them have been counted on this season.

Personally, I would have done it - given a 7th for Blount. But sometimes players do well for a season or stretch and then suck. Starks have a stretch in the SB run where he looked better than Blount ever did IMHO. I must trust TT more than my own ideas on this.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with you on keeping your first and second round picks, no question. But beyond the second round, history has shown its a crapshoot.
IMO the entire draft is a crapshoot - even early first rounders can bust - and the more shots you have, the better. Having said that, of course I would have been for spending a late round pick for a RB they thought was worth acquiring. But as I posted before, from Thompson's point of view the Packers are in better shape at the RB position than they were in 2010. Remember at that time they were depending upon a rookie back in Starks who after missing almost all of his senior season wasn’t healthy enough to play until the last quarter of his first NFL regular season. Contrast that to this year: That same Starks is “healthy” and apparently rounding into game shape. Benson, the back they think is the answer is due back sometime in December, hopefully ready for a playoff run. And they apparently still believe Green can improve. Compared to the gamble they took – and won – in 2010, this is a “sure thing”.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ How can the RB's we have be a "sure thing" ? Green is still, IMO, recovering from a devistating knee injury and could easily become reinjured and he has shown that he is scared because he does not have a cut back ability due to his knee being somewhat fragile. Starks and his lingering turf toe are skeptic at best with his limited snaps, and that injury too could resurface. Neither RB is a sure thing at all. Who's to say Ced Benson will be back? We don't know that yet, he might be rusty coming off that injury and we will have to throw him out into the cold and frozen turf....basically wolf bait. Hope that guy "white" gets some snaps soon, we need him.

Or, maybe restructure the WR corp, tweek it a bit, and give cobb 10 - 15 carries. Could work.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO.....keep an eye on Tim Hightower, Joseph Addai, Steve Slaton or Ryan Torain......one of them is going to be needed soon, especially now that Kuhn is looking like another Sunday scratch.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
^ How can the RB's we have be a "sure thing" ?
Compared to the gamble they took – and won – in 2010, this is a “sure thing”. ("sure thing" in quotes for a reason.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts