Steven Jackson rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word has it the Rams are considering offers for Steven Jackson. Of course the four-letter network connects the Packers as a potential suitor for Jackson, but based purely on speculation - i.e. we lost our starting RB already. Apparently we've inquired into S. Jax in the past. As much as I'd love to have S. Jax b/c he is the definition of a beast-RB, I think there is about a "1-in-a-million chance," to quote Dumb and Dumber, TT trades for him. The primary reason is S. Jax is a free agent after this season. I find it hard to imagine TT dealing any of his beloved draft picks for a several month rental. Plus, getting S. Jax wouldn't cure the run-blocking woes.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're NOT trading for Steven Jackson. Or DeAngelo Williams. Williams' contract alone makes it impossible to trade him, and with Benson due to return later this season, an in-season trade for Jackson makes no sense.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard this "rumor" all season. Waste of a draft pick to trade for an elderly soon to be FA RB.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard this "rumor" all season. Waste of a draft pick to trade for an elderly soon to be FA RB.

Yup. Why throw away a draft pick on a guy who's gonna get released at the end of the season anyway?

Unless you're planning on keeping him long term, (Which is doubtful with Jackson) mid-season trades are hardly ever worth it.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is Benson really coming back. Who ever comes back on time or early? The Packers medical staff seems to be extremely conservative when it comes to returning guys to play.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is Benson really coming back. Who ever comes back on time or early? The Packers medical staff seems to be extremely conservative when it comes to returning guys to play.
Some guys have had that Lisfranc injury this season and been put on IR, done. So who knows. Cedric was looking good.

But it wasn't just PackerNation starting rumors here.

This came from ESPN.

The St. Louis Rams have fielded trade inquiries about running back Steven Jackson over the past few weeks in advance of Tuesday's NFL trade deadline, according to league sources.

Sando: Jackson On the Move?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
The fact Steven Jackson will be a free agent after this season will make trading him difficult for the Rams, Mike Sando writes. Blog

Multiple teams have called the Rams to discuss Jackson's availability, and while the Rams are not proactively shopping Jackson, or any other player, they are willing to listen to offers.

Teams such as Arizona, Green Bay, Dallas and Pittsburgh each have dealt with injuries at the running back position and make sense as potential trade partners. Green Bay, in particular, has coveted Jackson in the past.

With another round of games Sunday and the trade deadline looming, Jackson's name is likely to surface again if a running back-needy team looks to make a last-minute push.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only raised the discussion because of what I heard on ESPN's morning show. As my original post noted, I have no interest in him b/c of his contract. So not raising this to start some advanced discussion on the merits, rather just posted b/c of the latest rumors. I think we all agree this would be pointless. I'd rather develop Green, too.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd give a 3rd. round pick for Jackson, no problem. We're going nowhere this year without SOME productivity out of the running game.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word on the street is Shaun Alexander is available, anyone think TT will make a move. He does have the second most TD in a season ever, just the kind of production we need from a RB this season.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Word on the street is Shaun Alexander is available, anyone think TT will make a move. He does have the second most TD in a season ever, just the kind of production we need from a RB this season.
Where's Clinton Portis? Always loved that guy.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd give a 3rd. round pick for Jackson, no problem. We're going nowhere this year without SOME productivity out of the running game.

Like we did in 2010?

But really, a 3rd rounder for 8 games? Eghh...

He is avg 3.8 yards a carry and has a TD... Not exactly killer numbers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers and Randall Cobb are not tailbacks. Recalculate....

Rushing yards are rushing yards. The team averages 3.9 yards a carry going into this game.

Still waiting for proof you need a run game to succeed... Maybe you should check the grassy knoll

H

HardRightEdge

Rushing yards are rushing yards.

Uh, no they are not. You can add Green's 22 for 54 today into those TB numbers. Oh, yeah...don't forget Starks 1 for 8.

You know, when we were sitting at 8-6 in 2010, we had to rely on the kindness of others to get in the playoffs. Game after game broke our way in weeks in 16 and 17, and squeaked in on a tie breaker. In the run through the playoffs we had a running game with Starks. Sooner or later, you need find that, and so far it ain't happening.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uh, no they are not. You can add Green's 22 for 54 today into those TB numbers. Oh, yeah...don't forget Starks 1 for 8.

You know, when we were sitting at 8-6 in 2010, we had to rely on the kindness of others to get in the playoffs. Game after game broke our way in weeks in 16 and 17, and squeaked in on a tie breaker. In the run through the playoffs we had a running game with Starks. Sooner or later, you need find that, and so far it ain't happening.

Still won today. Won the most games in franchise history in 2011. Won the SB in 2010. Can't imagine what would make anyone think the packers are wrong for not investing in the run game.

Some people like rushing highlights. Others like wins.

H

HardRightEdge

Some people like rushing highlights. Others like wins.

As for rushing highlights, that would not be me, as repeatedly stated.

As for 2011, Starks + Grant were vastly better than what we're getting from Green...which is a sorry commentary.

I like wins, but if you think this was a championship performance today, you missed something...a lot in fact. A running game this bad takes too much pressure off the D and puts too much pressure on the O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts