Starting to get irritated with lack of free agency news..

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I can't wait to revisit this thread at some point next year.

Ivo,

Did you give yourself a note on your calendar-- Jan 13, 2015: "Revisit this thread."?

Good work!

...There is a great chance we will make the playoffs but this team will not sniff another SB at its current state hate to break it to you guys who wear rose shaded glasses...

Seattle is looking pretty good and it will be difficult to go in their house and win, but I certainly smell the Super Bowl from here. Or, maybe it was something I ate... :tdown:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ivo,

Did you give yourself a note on your calendar-- Jan 13, 2015: "Revisit this thread."?

Good work!

Seattle is looking pretty good and it will be difficult to go in their house and win, but I certainly smell the Super Bowl from here. Or, maybe it was something I ate... :tdown:

I wish, it was linked in a different thread by a different poster yesterday. I can't take credit for remembering to point out comments that were just as ridiculous as they were 9 months ago

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
broncos offense would score every time they got the ball vs our stout defense. elway is serious about winning the SB. He understands that when you have to improve in certain areas sometimes you have to make sacrifices to win now. If Wolfe was still in charge I guarantee you he would have called Byrd , Allen, Peppers, ware or whoever would give this team the best chance at winning now. Of course he would've had a plan but please believe he would have tried to improve by at least adding one of those guys listed above . TT? Let's draft and hope for the best.

I love Rodell-- he gives us reason to use the search feature to see what he was wrong about

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I love Rodell-- he gives us reason to use the search feature to see what he was wrong about
I feel sorry for him and others that seem to panic at inappropriate times and come across as disgruntled and unhappy fans. I think some of these folks have a difficult time understanding just how bad it could be. We've had an amazing run for the last 20+ years. I'm extremely grateful to Harlan, Wolf, Murphy and Thompson for their wisdom in re-creating and sustaining this run.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In fairness, we DID add Peppers and I'm not sure our defense takes the step forward that we did without him this year. Good signing.

But yeah, the panic in March and annointing of the free agency winners every March is over the top.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that you were dead wrong on both counts, can you see how ridiculous this sounds? "You can clearly see which teams want to improve?" Do you honestly believe that Ted Thompson does not WANT to improve the team? Do you think he's out there playing golf in March, with agents calling him, and he's saying, "Nah guys, this is my me time. I'm not really interested in looking at anybody. Get back to me before the draft."

Niners, no playoffs, salary cap hell next year. Saints, ditto. Seahawks, I guess we'll find out on Sunday, but the fact that we're playing in the NFC Championship Game is pretty good evidence that you were wrong.

We know, Rodell. You do this every single year. You freak out in the spring and tell us that we're stuck in neutral or regressing, and the mighty Lions, Bears, and Vikings are getting better. You go ahead and punch Super Bowl tickets for the NFC offseason free agency winner (Broncos this year).

For the love of God I'm asking you just this one offseason to let things play out, sit back and R-E-L-A-X, and accept the knowledge that while you are certainly a passionate Packer fan, you would make a complete disaster of a GM. Please stop assuming that the Lombardi will be awarded every year to the team that buys the most expensive players. It will save you a lot of egg on your face at the end of every season.
See? This is why we should not have banned Rodell. I would be curious how he would defend his views.

The most pushed FAs Byrd and Allen, huge wastes of money. Oooops.

I can guarantee you that in 3 months he and his ilk will be posting the same stuff. Even if we win the Lombardi the comment will be "I guess just winning one SB is good enough for TT and some, but for me, I want the pack to win more than one!".

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have spending money right? Soooo why aren't we making headlines? Hell, the Broncos just signed Talib and Ware, they're playing this market knowing full well they're shoving their chips in and betting on the Super Bowl next year. Any particular reason we're not doing the same?

I know it's still early, and the free agent pool isn't considerably deep, but why aren't the Packers in the discussion for acquiring these names? I would have loved to see Ware over here. Hell I'm sure Peppers has a good two years in the tank. And why not Revis?

It makes absolutely no sense to me what Ted is waiting on. Our defense has been atrocious and we need a spark. The draft is great for the future, but if we want to win tomorrow we better sign SOMEONE who can make an immediate impact.
Has time answered your question?

I would hate to be in charge of the broncos right now. If they could undo their FA signings I am sure they would jump at the chance.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett and HaHa have been better than any of the free agent safeties that signed for huge money last off season. The only guy who might have been useful looking back would have been Owen Daniels but Rodgers has developed and Quarless has been decent as well. Ted wins.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suh. If he becomes a free agent, we might as well shell out for him. Would instantly improve the defence. He may be a scumbag, but he might as well be our scumbag. Better in pissing out and all that!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Suh. If he becomes a free agent, we might as well shell out for him. Would instantly improve the defence. He may be a scumbag, but he might as well be our scumbag. Better in pissing out and all that!

This free agent class is loaded. I doubt we go after any of the top tier guys, but it will be interesting to see how such a saturated class affects the market. It it causes lower than normal price tags for the guys beyond the top tier, I think it's entirely possible that we may go after one or even multiple second/third tier guys.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
We need to go after Bulaga and Cobb first. Then House imo.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We cant afford Suh and keep our key FAs. Suh should command the highest amount at his position.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers first priority this offseason should be to re-sign Cobb and Bulaga. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tramon and House.

No reason to go after Suh, he will ask for way too much money and isn´t worth the trouble.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Has time answered your question?

I would hate to be in charge of the broncos right now. If they could undo their FA signings I am sure they would jump at the chance.
Yeah, they sold their soul for a short term run at a championship. They aren't the first franchise to do that and certainly won't be the last. It usually ends up badly. The Eagles were once annointed Super Bowl champs in March too. Uhhhh, nope. Trainwreck.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This free agent class is loaded. I doubt we go after any of the top tier guys, but it will be interesting to see how such a saturated class affects the market. It it causes lower than normal price tags for the guys beyond the top tier, I think it's entirely possible that we may go after one or even multiple second/third tier guys.
The first two weeks of free agency is going to be a gas to watch. I'm expecting very good theater watching the mayhem unfold. Watch the guarantee portions of the contracts closely. I was shocked at the guarantees the Seahawks paid out last year and what the Bears did with Cutler last January.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first two weeks of free agency is going to be a gas to watch. I'm expecting very good theater watching the mayhem unfold. Watch the guarantee portions of the contracts closely. I was shocked at the guarantees the Seahawks paid out last year and what the Bears did with Cutler last January.
When does it start?
March?

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, Seattle's in very good cap shape for the next couple of years.

They currently have $119 mil in cap commitments for next year with no major free agents coming up...James Carpenter is the only name of note. 2016 is where the rubber meets the road...Wilson, Lynch, Okung, Wagner and Irvin will be free agents after 2015. Even then, they could sign Carpenter this offseason, have a large slug of cap carrying over to 2016 and get those 2016 FAs signed (though Lynch will be about done) with the cap going to $140+ mil. Seattle's current cap number for 2016 is only $77 mil.

The 49ers, Arizona and particularly New Orleans are in cap trouble assuming a $140 mil cap number for next year:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Besides being in good shape, the Seahawks have a leg up on the divisional competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

2011 was the first draft class under the rookie salary scale with those standard 4 year deals expiring. Teams that spent those savings up to or near the cap over the last 4 years on other players are now going to run into issues going forward if those picks became good players...these guys are going to want to get paid even more so than in the past since they've been producing for peanuts, relatively speaking, for the past 4 seasons.

What we may find is that many of those 5th. year core players get paid (or franchised or paid at the 5th. year option price) by their current teams while more high priced vets get released than in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There aren't many ILBs available, after the Cobb and Bulaga signings this position should be next. Even though the Matthews experiment has worked well and Barrington has been a nice surprise, I think an upgrade at that position would really help the defense. Rey Maualuga from the Bengals in an interesting option, he would be reconnecting with his USC running mates in Matthews and Perry, but if I recall he has had some injury concerns. Jasper Brinkley from Minnesota is about the only other guy worth mentioning. Maybe some of the Steeler's linebackers will be looking to cut ties with there team and would give Dom's defense a shot?