Are we overvaluing our own and undervaluing free agents?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone really believe that Corey Linsley would have received almost 9M per season on the open market? Is anyone really convinced that Davante Adams would have topped 14.5M per year in free agency? Isn't the point, for a team, of signing a pre-free agency extension to receive some sort of light discount in exchange for the security of the long-term contract and the avoidance of the uncertainty of the market? If you're going to overpay the market anyway, what is the point of even offering an early extension?

I don't think that is the point. At one time maybe but not any more. The point of signing someone to an extension is to lock up the players you think are going to continue to excel in the future and in some cases you may have to pay a bit more to get that done. Many players are willing to take the risk and play for the uncertainty of the market. If you want to lock that guy up you may have to offer him more than what the market might dictate. I'd have to look at the most recent contracts centers have signed but yeah, I think it is possible Linsley could have gotten 9 million. As far as Adams deal goes, while it seems high right now at 14.5 million per year and the 4th highest WR contract I could easily see Adams getting that deal somewhere else. If not him someone of his caliber would have gotten it and that's really what you are comparing. Is he better than Julio Jones. No he isn't but did Julio sign his contract the day before Adams did? No he didn't. He signed it 3 years ago and I'm pretty sure he was the highest paid WR at the time. If he signed a contract today he would probably vault to the #1 spot again and certainly ahead of Adams. Several WRs, (Brown, Green, OBJ, Evans, Hopkins and probably a few others) if they were signed to new deals today they would easily outpace Adams. You simply can't compare contracts signed three or even 2 years ago to contracts signed today. The price of everything in the NFL has gone up.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of some recent contracts.

Davante Adams - overvalued
Randall Cobb - WAY overvalued
Nick Perry - properly valued
Corey Linsley - properly valued
Casey Hayward - WAY undervalued
Lane Taylor - properly valued
Micah Hyde - properly valued (as in, pass on that contract)
David Bakhtiaria - properly valued

I do agree, certainly, with WR's we've overvalued our own due to their inflated productions via Rodgers and undervalued free agent WR's. I mean....Pierre Garcon is a considerably better receiver than Cobb or Adams, and it's not close imo.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I do agree, certainly, with WR's we've overvalued our own due to their inflated productions via Rodgers and undervalued free agent WR's. I mean....Pierre Garcon is a considerably better receiver than Cobb or Adams, and it's not close imo.
I agree for the most part except nick Perry, quite sure we got burnt on that deal. Had 1 good year in his contract year other than that he can’t seem to stay healthy enough to make an impact.

swampthing69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think with TT at the helm, there was always a tendency to overvalue guys he drafted. The contracts that Mathews, Perry and Cobb got are still sickening. None of these guys have lived up to the dollar value of those contracts. And the bottom line is Ted overpaid to keep his own because he outright refuses to go out and spend the same type of money on a FA.

Too early to tell on Adams, but the total dollar figure for that contract shocked me. Would Ted have spend that kinda money in FA on a receiver that had never broken 1000 yards and had the concussion issue? Guaranteed, he wouldn’t. Maybe Adams will turn into a top 5 receiver very quickly, but it just seems like an awful big jump right now.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Imo, part of the problem with properly assigning value to Packer WR’s is that they are difficult to replace because It is very difficult to learn all the things that must be done in order to garner Rodgers trust. His comfort level with Nelson, Cobb and Adams can not be matched in a few preseason practices with a FA receiver pickup. It’s time for McCarthy to shut his pie hole and put his head together with Philbin and figure out an offensive scheme where those 3 can get open and Rodgers can get rid of the ball quicker on average than he has been the past three years.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Garçon might be better than Cobb, but he is certainly not better than Adams. That's nonsense.