Start Ahman??

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Thruth is, we have too many flaws for just the draft to turn this team elite... I wonder who the FA RBs, MLBs and OLs are...

Does it really matter who the free agents are? Lol. Ted won't sign any of them, he'll just draft someone in round 5 and consider the problem fixed.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Green should not start. His body isn't capable anymore at 33 to absorb full-time punishment like he did in '03.

I admit it's refreshing to see a GB back showing flashes of eliteness though. His running style is so menacing, almost lethal. The defender who has the angle on him is guaranteed a lasting reminder of the impending impact.

It may be that Grant will benefit from watching Green firsthand, how the defense reacts to a true, power RB. Is that why Green is back on the team?

Grant had a decent half-season in '07. Hard to say what sparked that but he showed he does have what it takes to dominate. He just seems to have lost the explosiveness that won him the job in the first place. Maybe it's the lack of confidence in the O-line. Everyone wants to blame Grant for not seeing the cutback lane or hesitating. If your line isn't getting it done it's not fair to blame Grant for not recognizing when or where the lane develops. Grant isn't the speed back, he's full speed after several strides, unlike a Chris Johnson who can be at full speed two steps after the hand-off.

During the first half-season of 07, Green Bay was able to "burn" opposing blitzes with short passing and slant routes ... - Which opened up for Grant in the second half of the season ...

Right now, no team really "respects" the game of the Packers, and that is showing in the results as well ...

It was refreshing though, to watch good old Ahman "The Beast" Green running again ... - In my opinion, watching the game ... it certainly looked like Green ran with more "determination" than Grant ... - Even though Green didn't get as many yards I think, nevertheless, Grant should certainly take notes ...

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green should not start. His body isn't capable anymore at 33 to absorb full-time punishment like he did in '03.

I admit it's refreshing to see a GB back showing flashes of eliteness though. His running style is so menacing, almost lethal. The defender who has the angle on him is guaranteed a lasting reminder of the impending impact.

It may be that Grant will benefit from watching Green firsthand, how the defense reacts to a true, power RB. Is that why Green is back on the team?

Grant had a decent half-season in '07. Hard to say what sparked that but he showed he does have what it takes to dominate. He just seems to have lost the explosiveness that won him the job in the first place. Maybe it's the lack of confidence in the O-line. Everyone wants to blame Grant for not seeing the cutback lane or hesitating. If your line isn't getting it done it's not fair to blame Grant for not recognizing when or where the lane develops. Grant isn't the speed back, he's full speed after several strides, unlike a Chris Johnson who can be at full speed two steps after the hand-off.

I pretty much agree with everything you said here, I would just like to add that the lane isn't there for Grant to run in, because he is never running behind a fullback. He is an up and down runner who can't catch a ball to save his life. Whereas Green can run side to side, forward, catch balls, run people over, make them miss tackles. In my opinion, Grant is a FULLBACK. Line up both Grant and Green in the backfield and switch handing off to both of them. The opposing defense will have a heck of a time trying to play against both of them.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...I would just like to add that the lane isn't there for Grant to run in, because he is never running behind a fullback.

You touched on something critical to MM's offense that opposing defenses are wise to - if the FB is in the game, the D is playing run all the way. That's probably why Grant gets most of his carries from a single-back alignment. Add to that the O-line isn't effective enough yet at giving the RB the space to get to the 2nd level of the D & you get a frustrated RB.

I'd agree that Grant is the problem if someone else was able to be a more effective RB. So far nobody is. Green benefitted (7.5 ypc) against TAM because the D wasn't playing run with him in the game so the element of surprise enabled him to get some decent runs.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Rumor has it that Chester Taylor (will become unrestricted FA next season) might be going to the Redskins next season ... - Perhaps the brass should be speaking with the Redskins about a possible trade if that happens ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts