1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Start Ahman??

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackerBacker4Life, Nov 9, 2009.

1. PackerBacker4Life

PackerBacker4Life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone else think that Ahman should start over Grant. I think he still has something to prove and is running sooooo much harder than Grant. what do you guys think?

2. bad93ex

bad93ex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I don't know if Ahman Green can handle a full game of carries but it wouldn't hurt.

3. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    No, you have to be smart with the number of his carries, he needs more, but to start him would be a mistake.

4. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I agree with what everyone said. We should start him if he could support the load, but as he can't he shouldn't be started.

Brandon Jackson, however, can. We should let him start and Green to be the 2nd ball carrier. Somethin in the tone of 15 Carriers for BJ and 10 for Ahmad... 0 for Grant would be just fine...

5. PackerBacker4Life

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know when Grant's new contract is done so he can get the hell out??

6. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Unfortunately this sucker's contract doesn't expire for 2-3 more season's pending the collective bargaining agreement. However if we were to release him by the end of the year or at least trade him for some low quality picks it would save the Pack a lot of time and money to get someone else in the long run.

7. Ace731

Ace731 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt say grant isnt running hard, hes just running into tacklers as opposed to running around them. he doesnt hit the cut back lane and he doesnt make anyone miss. usually when he gets to the safety he tries to run them over but ends up falling on top of them. he has poor vision. i think grant would be an excellent back hes got power and a bit of speed, hes a lot like green used to be, but he lacks the vision to hit the cut back hole or run around anyone. its frustrating to watch him consistently miss the cuts.

8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Grant did look better yesterday

I say share the load for now

9. PackerBacker4Life

Ratings:
    +1
    you should look good against the bucs, and i totally agree with him missing cuts and just trying to run people over

10. tripleguy

tripleguy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    There is no clear cut choice here

Grant has 1) no cut back ability and 2) his knees are lower than ever when he runs so it's pretty easy to bring him down with a leg tackle. Lacks any burst and is purely a downhill runner at this stage.

Green on the other hand has at least demonstrated he still likes to hit people. I'll give him props for looking for someone to run over when he clears the hole. Don't know that his hands are any better than they used to be which would cause me concern. He gets the nod for his receiving ability and at least brings the threat of a screen pass with him. Not capable of 25 carries a game at this point though.

11. PackerBacker4Life

Ratings:
    +1
    Grant comes from being on the Giants practice squad to our starter. Just dumb

12. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483

Yup he did..Who else was there in 07 to share the load? Thats why they got Grant

but tell me I bet you wee one of MANy that cheered him in 07 because he was good then

Or did you refuse to cheer for him because he was a practice squad player

13. PackerBacker4Life

Ratings:
    +1
    i never thought he would be good. remember the Seattle game in the playoffs?? fumble after fumble after fumble. players always play good in contract years. doesn't mean we sign him for 3 or 4 years and pay him big money. he played good for like 8 or less games

14. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    For the record..I didnt want him to get a contract last year like he did..

I was very vocal of waiting at last 8 games..

but to his credit in the Seattle game? He broke a record for rushing in the playoffs...I say he bounced back very very well in that game

15. PackerBacker4Life

Ratings:
    +1
    agreed.. i'm just wondering why we gave him such a big contract

16. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,483
    Pressure? Felt he was good enough?

Although I think it had a few performance based parts in it

17. DILLIGAFF

DILLIGAFF Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    simple, Grant's contract came at the perfect time, during the whole BF storm. If TT had a big hold out on his hands with Grant, Packer fans would have lost it. Signing Grant gave the appearance the Packers were getting things done despite what was going down with BF.

18. PackerBacker4Life

Ratings:
    +1
  19. ThinkICare

ThinkICare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +15
    Grant's agent probably did a lot of talking to Grant too to get a great deal done during that mess in the off-season.

20. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    I wouldn't do it in round 1 or 2, because those picks need to be used to solidify the O-line (obviously), but at some point in the 2010 draft, the Packers need to take a running back. Ideally, for me anyways, it'd be someone that's in a different mold than what we have. Someone with blazing speed. A change of pace back. Chris Johnson type, if you will.

21. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Next year's draft class seems to be loaded with really good running back talent. My personal top 3 are: CJ Spiller, Jahvid Best, and Noel Devine. Green Bay should definitely take a O lineman in the 1st round but by the second round I think if any of these three are still available, it would be too hard to pass them up. Most teams in the NFL are already saturated with 1-2 franchise backs so I'm hoping that one of them falls into the second round. If not, Green bay should do what they did this year and trade up for a good back.

22. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    Thruth is, we have too many flaws for just the draft to turn this team elite... I wonder who the FA RBs, MLBs and OLs are...

23. Ace731

Ace731 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i got an idea. lets trade one of our 3 fullbacks! is anyone else still angry about this? why do we need 3 fullbacks? i know kuhn and hall were the experienced players they wanted, and johnson has lots of talent/potential but geesh, why do we need 3? how many years did henderson play as the only fullback on the team? we need lineman, not fullbacks. and if johnson has tons of potential then let him be the number 2 guy so he can get reps.

i am aware that hall has been hurt so he is getting his reps in now and has even played some but having 3 fullbacks seems like a waste in my opinon.

24. PackerBacker4Life

Ratings:
    +1
    i think they kept 3 for special teams. obviously not working

25. doughsellz

doughsellz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Green should not start. His body isn't capable anymore at 33 to absorb full-time punishment like he did in '03.

I admit it's refreshing to see a GB back showing flashes of eliteness though. His running style is so menacing, almost lethal. The defender who has the angle on him is guaranteed a lasting reminder of the impending impact.

It may be that Grant will benefit from watching Green firsthand, how the defense reacts to a true, power RB. Is that why Green is back on the team?

Grant had a decent half-season in '07. Hard to say what sparked that but he showed he does have what it takes to dominate. He just seems to have lost the explosiveness that won him the job in the first place. Maybe it's the lack of confidence in the O-line. Everyone wants to blame Grant for not seeing the cutback lane or hesitating. If your line isn't getting it done it's not fair to blame Grant for not recognizing when or where the lane develops. Grant isn't the speed back, he's full speed after several strides, unlike a Chris Johnson who can be at full speed two steps after the hand-off.