Special Teams

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They do not have good personnel for returns. It would be great if they could acquire someone in the offseason to take on that motion role in the offense, as well as return kicks and punts.
Wouldn't matter if we had Hester or Billie "white shoes" Johnson if they get levelled as soon as they touch the ball.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wouldn't matter if we had Hester or Billie "white shoes" Johnson if they get levelled as soon as they touch the ball.

The blocking is not good, but there have been more/better opportunities than that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The blocking is not good, but there have been more/better opportunities than that.
There’s been a few opportunities on punt returns and more for kicks. Taylor is just so slow on kicks. If I was an opposing team I’d kick it short of the goal line every time. Even if it only gets to the 10 he’s not going to male the 20.

Tacklynn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier in the season the defense was not so good and now they have improved tremendously. Are there reasons to think something similar could happen with special teams, even if it is very late in the season? Or is it hopeless to think we can expect any more out of them?

Do the Bucs have a weakness in any part of their game that is as bad as our special teams?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just looked up the stats at the NFL.com website:

Opp Kickoff Return Avg:
TB - 33.6 yards (32 out of 32)
GB - 24.2 yards (23 out of 32)

Kick Return Avg:
TB - 21.8 yards (19 out of 32)
GB - 18.9 yards (31 out of 32)

Net Punt Avg:

TB - 40.2 yards (17 of 32)
GB - 37.0 yards (30 of 32)

Punt Return Avg:
TB - 5.9 yards (25 of 32)
GB - 4.8 yards (31 of 32)

FG Made %:
TB - 90.3% (11 out of 32)
GB - 100% (T-1st out of 32)

XP Made %:
TB - 91.2% (22 out of 32)
GB - 93.7% (13 out of 32)

What this tells me is that neither team is very good, except for Crosby being elite this season. Tampa Bay is better at returning punts/kicks while we both generally suck at covering punts/kicks. All this says is that, statistically speaking, Tampa Bay should have better starting field position than Green Bay but if the game comes down to field goals, we have the advantage.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In terms of ranking and/or percentage, there's a clear difference. However, in net punting, the Pack gives up two yards per kick - I'm sure someone can make a big deal out of that, but it doesn't seem significant (not to mention the context of the punts). On KOs, the Bucs' opponents start a full first-down closer, while the Pack only starts three yards further away. Like virtually all numbers in sports, it's interesting, but...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier in the season the defense was not so good and now they have improved tremendously. Are there reasons to think something similar could happen with special teams, even if it is very late in the season? Or is it hopeless to think we can expect any more out of them?

Do the Bucs have a weakness in any part of their game that is as bad as our special teams?

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks.
No reason to expect anything different from our STs but anything can happen. I think it is more important just to not turn the ball over. Probably why Taylor is returning KOs. The worst thing would be Austin trying to do too much and fumble.
People say their STs are not very good. Otherwise, no. They do not appear to have weaknesses to me.
New Orleans did not come close to pressuring Brady. But they depend on their edge rushers. We have push up the middle and Zadarius likes to come up the middle. That Tampa center looks very wide and does not give up a bunch of room though. Corner or safety blitzes? And maybe Rashan can bull rush one of the tackles.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw where the new special teams coach said that he is liking Hill returning kick-offs and Rodgers returning punts. That sounds good to me. I definitely don't like putting the same guy in for both tasks automatically. They aren't the same skills. Not everyone can be a Devin Hester or Mel Gray.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw where the new special teams coach said that he is liking Hill returning kick-offs and Rodgers returning punts. That sounds good to me. I definitely don't like putting the same guy in for both tasks automatically. They aren't the same skills. Not everyone can be a Devin Hester or Mel Gray.

I like that idea. Stick that whining GM wannabe back there to return punts. That'll really give him something to cry about :whistling:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rumor has it AR is coaching special teams and is now scheming to get John Kuhn signed and ready for ST duty...

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His asst GM / Girlfriend is headed to sign the Dodger ball girl to cover kicks.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Somewhat better than last year. Good punting helps. Crosby still his old perfect self. It looked to me like 1 or 2 guys lost lane integrity on the long kickoff return. We still have blocking problems on opponents gunners imo but at least we aren't seeing holding or block in the back penalties. Amari Rodgers does not look like a natural punt returner to me. Very tentative and slow on his initial move up the field. Would love to see management use a 6th or 7th round pick on a true natural punt returner that could also possibly be a gunner or fill in at WR or CB. This has been a problem forever it seems.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kickoff return before the end of the golf was a huge play. If the Packers had not lost their lane integrity and done their job, SF may have never switched the momentum in the game. With the exception of a pick 6, S
seems like special teams lapses switch momentum even more so that big plays on defense or offense.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I read from someone (Huber, Schneimann? I don't remember) that after that long return, Lazard asked to be put in the game on kick coverage. Love that.

Members online

Latest posts