Special Teams 2021-22

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I would be thrilled if the ST was just average during this playoff run. It would ****ing suck if the ST cost the team a win at some point soon.

Ditto. Mediocrity would be a good thing. Nothing horrendously stupid at the price of nothing amazingly great.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of fans think Crosby is a better kicker than the record would indicate because he has kicked a couple of big game winning fg's. Those are hard to forget! Its hard to imagine a scenario where the Packers won't need a big kick from Crosby to win three straight games over tough opppnents to get another Lombardi. I don't see them winning by comfortable margins. I just isn't in the teams personality. They relax when they get a lead.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see them winning by comfortable margins. I just isn't in the teams personality. They relax when they get a lead.
I don't know about that. Rodgers knows how to pour it on and I can see him doing just that in the upcoming games.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Its hard to imagine a scenario where the Packers won't need a big kick from Crosby to win three straight games over tough opppnents to get another Lombardi.
I wouldn't expect a lot of long game winning FG's from Crosby in those first 2 games, since they will be playing at Lambeau. Advanced forecasting is already stating that next weekends temps might make this game rival some of the coldest in NFL history. Saturday could bring a lot of snow and cold temps and Sunday is listed as much colder with no snow.

Packers just might have to get to the SB without relying on Crosby's foot.

Reaction score
I think a lot of fans think Crosby is a better kicker than the record would indicate because he has kicked a couple of big game winning fg's. Those are hard to forget! Its hard to imagine a scenario where the Packers won't need a big kick from Crosby to win three straight games over tough opppnents to get another Lombardi. I don't see them winning by comfortable margins. I just isn't in the teams personality. They relax when they get a lead.
That’s the thing that the ~3 yards difference in FG distance doesn’t explain. Crosby has historically come through on clutch kicks to win the game etc.. SF this year. Dallas in the Divisional etc.. playoffs are key and his playoff % is very good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That’s the thing that the ~3 yards difference in FG distance doesn’t explain. Crosby has historically come through on clutch kicks to win the game etc.. SF this year. Dallas in the Divisional etc.. playoffs are key and his playoff % is very good.

I am going to rely on the Packer coaching staff and decision makers as to what happens to Crosby. Us fans can break things down with stats and say "this guy is statistically better than that guy". Right, but who is the better teammate in the locker room? Who is better in clutch moments, etc. Stats are great, but those are humans on the field and a lot more goes into personnel decisions than "this guy kicked 3 FG's longer than this guy did."

Reaction score
Tucker is actually 14 of 18 in the postseason in his career. While he (38.22 yards) has a higher average distance than Crosby (35.03) I learned over the past few weeks that needs to be ignored.
Does Crosby make more than Justin Tucker?
It would seem to me to compare Mason with those within ~250K or so annual. Surely inside the minimum K salary of 700K or so.

Give us examples of his peers with similar salaries vs using the highest paid Kicker in NFL history

D

Deleted member 6794

If you read my post again, this time knowing that it was said completely tongue in cheek, I hope you get a chuckle out of it.

I realized that your post was made tongue in cheek.

Just wanted to remind you that the numbers don't support the notion of Crosby being worse at home than his peers because of attempting longer field goals ;)

Does Crosby make more than Justin Tucker?
It would seem to me to compare Mason with those within ~250K or so annual. Surely inside the minimum K salary of 700K or so.

Give us examples of his peers with similar salaries vs using the highest paid Kicker in NFL history

It was Poker who brought up Tucker. It doesn't matter who you compare Crosby to as aside of the playoffs he has been an average kicker in the league at best for most of his career.

Reaction score
It was Poker who brought up Tucker. It doesn't matter who you compare Crosby to as aside of the playoffs he has been an average kicker in the league at best for most of his career.
I gotcha. I didn’t read every post going back. However the point I’m making is we need to look at all the factors in a fair comparison. Maybe we move on maybe we don’t. However using only the highest paid Kicker and by far the most productive Kicker and saying he’s not as good does not prove Crosby is bad.
All Kickers go through hot n cold periods. It’s what they accomplish over a large sample size that’s important. Postseason likely holds some extra weight for obvious reasons. Then pressure type Kicks (game winners etc) next in line.

I just think we need to analyze the reasoning behind a series of misses. Certainly not ignore them either.

D

Deleted member 6794

However the point I’m making is we need to look at all the factors in a fair comparison. Maybe we move on maybe we don’t. However using only the highest paid Kicker and by far the most productive Kicker and saying he’s not as good does not prove Crosby is bad.
All Kickers go through hot n cold periods. It’s what they accomplish over a large sample size that’s important. Postseason likely holds some extra weight for obvious reasons. Then pressure type Kicks (game winners etc) next in line.

I just think we need to analyze the reasoning behind a series of misses. Certainly not ignore them either.

I have posted a ton of different stats supporting the notion that Crosby has been an average kicker at best for most of his career for several years.

It doesn't matter as for some odd reason a lot of Packers fans seem to ignore that, something they wouldn't do for any other player on the roster.

With that being said, that's solely true for the regular season, he has been excellent in the playoffs.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 reason why MLF shouldn't be Coach of the Year...didn't have the balls to get a new ST Coordinator early in the season. More than a dozen posters predicted ST would be the end of our post-season run. :(

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who could've seen this special teams debacle coming? Surely not Lafleur. He had all season to make changes and see to it that they didn't stink. This loss is on him. He is overrated and shows his true merit in the playoffs. The Jordan Love era is here. Time for a house cleaning.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
#1 reason why MLF shouldn't be Coach of the Year...didn't have the balls to get a new ST Coordinator early in the season. More than a dozen posters predicted ST would be the end of our post-season run. :(
Hiring an assistant to 2 failed special teams coordinators? A few of us understood it from Day 1.

Last edited:

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FIRE Brian Gutekunst!!!. Why?. How can you not have 2 All-Star wideouts for Hall of Fame QB?
He hired Maurice Drayton.
Randall Cobb thank you for all you have done brother but time catches up with all of us. Have a great live and enjoy your retirement!!!.
Allen Lazard: you are designated Slot receiver from here on. We expect consistent production or you will be cut.

Matt Lafleur. You lack aggression and the ability to make half time adjustments. You are on Notice.
No Supetbawl trip next year you are gone.

Draft and ir Free Agency:
Primetime WR and TE that can catch the fingers ball.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
FIRE Brian Gutekunst!!!. Why?. How can you not have 2 All-Star wideouts for Hall of Fame QB?
He hired Maurice Drayton.
Well it was MLF that hired Drayton, so should we fire him too?

What is an "All-Star" football player?

While I do agree with you that both TT and Gute have done a bad job with giving Rodgers a decent second WR, I wouldn't exactly call for Gutes head given the Packers last 3 years record.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope you all feel good about that nice guy Drayton not being fired during the season.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it was MLF that hired Drayton, so should we fire him too?

What is an "All-Star" football player?

While I do agree with you that both TT and Gute have done a bad job with giving Rodgers a decent second WR, I wouldn't exactly call for Gutes head given the Packers last 3 years record.
Clearly we need a second WR that can get open for Rodgers to trow as well as prime time TE.
Wtf you family member protecting this inept cats or you lost your ballz as well?

Members online

Latest posts