Special Teams 2021-22

D

Deleted member 6794

Going into the playoffs, I don't think there is another kicker, besides maybe Justin Tucker, that I would rather have kicking for the Packers. However, even the great Justin Tucker is only 6 of 10 in his career during the playoffs, so I might have to rethink that.

Tucker is actually 14 of 18 in the postseason in his career. While he (38.22 yards) has a higher average distance than Crosby (35.03) I learned over the past few weeks that needs to be ignored.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tucker is actually 14 of 18 in the postseason in his career. While he (38.22 yards) has a higher average distance than Crosby (35.03) I learned over the past few weeks that needs to be ignored.
A better question is why on earth you believe that a team settling for a field goal after they get closer is somehow the kicker’s fault more than the fault of the offense that couldn’t punch it in to the end zone as the field becomes more compressed. I would be more interested in examining those offenses.

D

Deleted member 6794

A better question is why on earth you believe that a team settling for a field goal after they get closer is somehow the kicker’s fault more than the fault of the offense that couldn’t punch it in to the end zone as the field becomes more compressed. I would be more interested in examining those offenses.

I never mentioned Crosby is to blame for the offense having to settle for short field goals. But once again, the average distance of an attempt should be considered when evaluating a kicker.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never mentioned Crosby is to blame for the offense having to settle for short field goals. But once again, the average distance of an attempt should be considered when evaluating a kicker.
The offense settling for a short field goal is better than attempting long ones. I think going for it on 4th should depend mainly on what the score is. And of course distance for a first down.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a lot of the issue for Mason not having many long field goal tries was MM's conservative nature in play off games. He would prefer to pin the opposition inside the 15 with a 35 yard punt & play defense than try a 50ish+ yard FG. Several times I recall that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think a lot of the issue for Mason not having many long field goal tries was MM's conservative nature in play off games. He would prefer to pin the opposition inside the 15 with a 35 yard punt & play defense than try a 50ish+ yard FG. Several times I recall that.

The Packers actually punted the ball a total of six times between the opponent's 30 and 40 yard lines in the playoffs under McCarthy with five of them coming in the 2010 playoffs (three in the NFCCG at Soldier Field).

That seems to be a recipe for success.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers actually punted the ball a total of six times between the opponent's 30 and 40 yard lines in the playoffs under McCarthy with five of them coming in the 2010 playoffs (three in the NFCCG at Soldier Field).

Be honest. Do you think that the rationale for not attempting a FG in those situations, was because they didn't trust Crosby or because the situation (down and distance, weather, score) dictated going for it or punting? Keep in mind Crosby successfully kicked a 56 yarder early on in that season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For me, it depends on who you are playing and how the game is going. Do you need 3 points for a tie? Will 3 points put you up two scores? Low scoring game/not much offense? I don't think there is an always right answer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For me, it depends on who you are playing and how the game is going. Do you need 3 points for a tie? Will 3 points put you up two scores? Low scoring game/not much offense? I don't think there is an always right answer.
Agreed. Also, has to do with game time conditions as well as the player. I do remember at one point in Crosby's career, he was playing injured and it reduced how far he could kick. 20 degrees out, strong wind and the ball is like a brick, of course they aren't having him trot out there and kick one longer than he can make in those conditions.

Bottom line, when the Packers stop trotting Crosby out there to attempt a very makeable FG, in situation that warrants it, then we know something is up with MLF's trust in Crosby. Hell, just this year in Cincinnati, Crosby was having a terrible game, 4th and inches in OT at the 31 yard line. What does MLF do? He trots Crosby out there to kick a 49 yard game winning FG.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You have to realize that going for long FGs in January in wintry or arctic weather is not so easy. The percentage drops considerably. Think of the Giants kicker at Lambeau in 2007 who missed 2 before he finally made won on that sub zero day. Now when you go to Atlanta, Dallas, Arizona, or any other such environment that percentage is much higher.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I would be thrilled if the ST was just average during this playoff run. It would ****ing suck if the ST cost the team a win at some point soon.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Giants fired HC Joe Judge. He was New England's ST Coordinator before that. He'd be a great choice for the Packers next season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the time the Packers' season is over, Judge will be on some other team that just hired a whole new staff.
I didn’t watch too many Giants games … but seeing some of the decisions he made doesn’t make me interested in seeing him in Green Bay.

D

Deleted member 6794

Be honest. Do you think that the rationale for not attempting a FG in those situations, was because they didn't trust Crosby or because the situation (down and distance, weather, score) dictated going for it or punting? Keep in mind Crosby successfully kicked a 56 yarder early on in that season.

You have to realize that going for long FGs in January in wintry or arctic weather is not so easy. The percentage drops considerably. Think of the Giants kicker at Lambeau in 2007 who missed 2 before he finally made won on that sub zero day. Now when you go to Atlanta, Dallas, Arizona, or any other such environment that percentage is much higher.

That wasn't meant as a criticism of Crosby but just as an informative answer to Poppa's post.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kicking at Lambeau isn't easy.

You could try Kingston Park in mid winter too lol

It is easier to kick in rugby union though as time isn't an issue for the kicker

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Summers also among the players activated from injured reserve and at practice this week...perhaps the soecial teams gets a boost too with the return of one of their core players

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet opposing kickers, who aren't used to kicking in the stadium, have done a better job of it than Crosby since 2007.
Yes, they have. Hard to figure. I do remember a few crucial close playoff games when opposing kickers missed one. Dan Bailey with the Cowboys at Lambeau when Rodgers had the bad leg. And Myers of Seattle in La Fleur's first year.
Yet opposing kickers, who aren't used to kicking in the stadium, have done a better job of it than Crosby since 2007.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only probably because they kicked shorter FG's, with the wind at their backs and the sun in the defenses eyes. ;)
I would like to think so. But what haunts me is Akers kicking that 63 yard FG for SF on opening day in 2012. It was at halftime but ya know MM would never opt for that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, they have. Hard to figure. I do remember a few crucial close playoff games when opposing kickers missed one. Dan Bailey with the Cowboys at Lambeau when Rodgers had the bad leg. And Myers of Seattle in La Fleur's first year.

Just to clarify, I was talking about the regular season when mentioning that opposing kickers have outperformed Crosby over his career at Lambeau.

To be fair, Bailey and Myers both missed from 50 yards. Crosby has never tried an attempt from more than 47 yards at home in the playoffs.

Only probably because they kicked shorter FG's, with the wind at their backs and the sun in the defenses eyes. ;)

We've discussed that before that opposing kicker have a higher average of distance per attempt as Crosby.

It's truly mind-boggling that despite being tons of facts being provided proving the contrary that Crosby has been average at best there seem to be a lot of Packers fans considering him to be a great kicker for whatever reason.

That hasn't happened with any other below average player or position group.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We've discussed that before that opposing kicker have a higher average of distance per attempt as Crosby.
If you read my post again, this time knowing that it was said completely tongue in cheek, I hope you get a chuckle out of it.

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ST will be the downfall of the Pack, for the 1st time in a long time, I was impressed and confidant with our D. Offense is a no brainer, so I suppose we have to worry about some phase of the team. Its not just Crosby missing FG's, he cant kick it deep on kickoffs and the scheme to tackle the returner STINKS. I really like our D, but if we keep putting them in bad field position, they are bound to break.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts