Some irony if AR leaves...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I don't think Adams leaves if we keep AR. He probably knows he's what he is in large part due to taking throws from Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think it's anything but a forgone conclusion this team has a great defense next year, or has the players to make it work.
Agreed on it will totally depend on what our defense looks like in 2022 and with the Cap issues. I don't see more than 8 starters returning and less if we trade Rodgers and go into rebuild mode. I also think the defense was suspect at times. Good, but not great and not consistent. Keeping penalties to a minimum (5th in league) and forcing turnovers (tied for 8th in league) helped quite a bit. They were 14th in the NFL in least points given up, but 21st in the league in the number of first downs they gave up. While the secondary played pretty well, they gave up the 3rd (tied with 4 other teams) most passing TD's in the NFL with 31. The Bills defense was tops with only surrendering 12.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And I don't think Adams leaves if we keep AR. He probably knows he's what he is in large part due to taking throws from Rodgers.
Packers might not let him leave (tag). I think if he is allowed to go out and find the best deal, he will find it elsewhere. Even if Rodgers sticks around, I am not in on paying Adams or any WR $30M/year.....that is a recipe for trouble down the road.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When do you think we'll know the status with Rodgers? I would think they would want to solve this particular piece of the puzzle as soon as possible, one way or the other.
When he is flown back from Kiln, Mississippi.....oh wait....wrong QB.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. I have no idea how a lot of the behind the scenes stuff works like the cap. I watch the game BUT being British I don't always get the nuances that you know from being brought up in the game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would offer a contract to Campbell immediately for a 3yr/18M deal. Signing bonus for 12M. at 28 going on 29. According to Spotrac its a good deal.

Campbell's New Contract Market

Rasul Douglas on the other hand is gonna take the biggest deal he can find. Unfortunately, he will be gone. If he wants to return to Green Bay, this defense will be formidable.

Rasul Douglas New Contract Market
Russ Ball never ever gives out 66% guaranteed. Most are between 25-33 %.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am talking 2006 not prehistoric times. No way would our improved defense match the 85 Bears. Very few even come close to that one. And they had a guy named Walter, too.
Not a bears fan but that was the best D I have ever seen. Including steel curtain. And 60s Packers. And minnesota and the New Orleans Saints when they had those great linebackers.

Reaction score
I am talking 2006 not prehistoric times. No way would our improved defense match the 85 Bears. Very few even come close to that one. And they had a guy named Walter, too.
Not to derail here. But worth mentioning in these times.
The ‘85 Bears outscored playoff opponents
91-10

We often forget. There are 2 ways to skin a cat. We don’t need to be 12pts allowed per. Get to <18 pts average and with a very good running game (which we already have) solid ST and excellent HC we already possess.

This is another reason I think we should consider that route. Resign Campbell, try to at least compete for Rasul, resign Marcedes, resign Mercilus. Go after a stud DT with our top trade selection. Go after another Stud like Elgton early in the draft. Get an above average starter quality WR or TE in the trade. Go after the Opposite option day 2 draft. Pick a couple OLB/CB mid rounds that are polished but overlooked and can contribute early. Add 1-2 late round picks at ST and cut the dead weight and you might just be surprised what an ordinary QB can do given proper time.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Aaron leaves but is it not ironic that FINALLY the Packers have a good defense for the FIRST TIME since they won the Super Bowl with him when he was ~26/27?

Love may be entering a similar situation that AR had back around 2008, but MINUS the good wide receiving talent (ie Driver Jennings Jones Nelson). That would be near impossible to replicate to be 100% honest.

.. but the Packers FINALLY have a defense lol

My guess is that Aaron stays. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

The Packer defense is middling, which seems like a big improvement after how bad they have been in recent years.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Aaron stays. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.

The Packer defense is middling, which seems like a big improvement after how bad they have been in recent years.
Middling is the perfect way to describe it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our defense was better, better Lb'er play, better at the edge with the emergence of Gary and Rasul really made losing alexander a lot more palatable. But still missing a lot along the DL. Lowry was better and Kenny was good, but outside that not much to show.

They were good, but had lapses, but still good enough for this team to win it all. Something we haven't had for a while. Problems were, our 3 best Olinemen missed pretty much the entire season and made it back in preseason shape for the post season, well 2 of them the best one was still out. We had no TE at all. and our pounding RB whom we needed broke a rib and was out.

It never all seems to come together. This team overcame a lot last year and they just couldn't do it against the 9ers. The ST **** the bed in massive way and we were already short along the offense and they couldn't overcome.

Right before the post season the Bucs lost a WR and their RB and they started faltering all over on offense, we're without most of our oline, we don't have near the offensive firepower to begin with but lose our TE and RB against one of the leagues best defenses. It makes a difference.

Reaction score
Our defense was better, better Lb'er play, better at the edge with the emergence of Gary and Rasul really made losing alexander a lot more palatable. But still missing a lot along the DL. Lowry was better and Kenny was good, but outside that not much to show.

They were good, but had lapses, but still good enough for this team to win it all. Something we haven't had for a while. Problems were, our 3 best Olinemen missed pretty much the entire season and made it back in preseason shape for the post season, well 2 of them the best one was still out. We had no TE at all. and our pounding RB whom we needed broke a rib and was out.

It never all seems to come together. This team overcame a lot last year and they just couldn't do it against the 9ers. The ST **** the bed in massive way and we were already short along the offense and they couldn't overcome.

Right before the post season the Bucs lost a WR and their RB and they started faltering all over on offense, we're without most of our oline, we don't have near the offensive firepower to begin with but lose our TE and RB against one of the leagues best defenses. It makes a difference.
It’s really amazing what we accomplished with a largely makeshift OL. Plus without a couple all-pro level players from 2020 (Z’,J’)

Reaction score
Wouldn't using the franchise tag **** off Adams? And thus also **** off Rodgers?
Absolutely.
Just tell Rodgers that each .01 over 20M we pay Davante will be adjusted in Rodgers salary by an = reduction It’s no problem whatsoever for us. (Straight face) :laugh:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wouldn't using the franchise tag **** off Adams? And thus also **** off Rodgers?
If it does, then neither of them have a clear understanding that it isn't just about them, the team also has to do what is best for the team.

Reaction score
If it does, then neither of them have a clear understanding that it isn't just about them, the team also has to do what is best for the team.
What kind of life must you be living ti get a guaranteed $20,000,000 and threaten to quit the company. :coffee:
Cry me down the River like Baby Moses! (Or maybe Chris Farley)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t they? This is the most depleted WR room we have had going into the off season and that includes a Cobb with an exploding number that will not happen.

Never before has Green Bay needed WR more. Post Adams and presently Lazard is the most experienced that is likely to see 2022 with current contract situations.
I agree.
We’d be wise to resign 1 of our FA wideouts and request 1 in a trade. There’s also likely going to be a larger pool of WR in the FA market around the league. It’s pretty likely we can find a deal similarly to a Funchess type signing in the bargain bin etc.. but hopefully that doesn’t get injured in camp :sneaky:

Reaction score
Agreed on it will totally depend on what our defense looks like in 2022 and with the Cap issues. I don't see more than 8 starters returning and less if we trade Rodgers and go into rebuild mode. I also think the defense was suspect at times. Good, but not great and not consistent. Keeping penalties to a minimum (5th in league) and forcing turnovers (tied for 8th in league) helped quite a bit. They were 14th in the NFL in least points given up, but 21st in the league in the number of first downs they gave up. While the secondary played pretty well, they gave up the 3rd (tied with 4 other teams) most passing TD's in the NFL with 31. The Bills defense was tops with only surrendering 12.
I still think a big part of our secondary woes was Stokes being our #1 CB. No offense to Stokes, but like many it was on the job training against teams #1 WR. This year we should conceivably have J’aire and Stokes and that should make a tremendous difference. Being able to pick n choose who those 2 matchup against.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still think a big part of our secondary woes was Stokes being our #1 CB. No offense to Stokes, but like many it was on the job training against teams #1 WR. This year we should conceivably have J’aire and Stokes and that should make a tremendous difference. Being able to pick n choose who those 2 matchup against.
We had both Jaire and Stokes last year ;) Let's hope JA doesn't turn into another Kevin King and has shoulder issues. As most people say, you can never have too many good CB's and it won't be any different next year or the year after. Just a matter of keeping them healthy and not sucking up too big of a share of the cap.

Jaire's 5th year deal is a big cap hit ($13.294M) but probably not what he will end up getting in a restructure. That is going to be an expensive contract and probably one of the first ones we see redone this offseason, he and Rodgers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well. that's the whole question, isn't it? I believe the usual response from the athlete is "I have to do what's best for my family".

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 big pieces of why that defense was better aren't under any contract and we're going to be losing others just to save some money and get under the cap. this defense could look a lot different and not in a good way. I'm not ready to sign either Campbell or Rasul to big money long term contracts and we can't afford any short term ones for even medium money. Are we cutting both smiths to sign Campbell, are we better? Lowry actually earned his money this year. Keke was coming on, but something happened there. Lancaster moves into a starting role? Please no.

I think it's anything but a forgone conclusion this team has a great defense next year, or has the players to make it work.
Teams can win a lot of games with outstanding Ds - the Ravens and Steelers come to mind. And the Ravens have done it over time without a superstar QB. I just think it's inevitable that Rodgers gets traded, whether he likes it or not. Even so I just don't like the idea of losing Rodgers when he's playing this well. There's no easy answer to this situation.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts