Some irony if AR leaves...

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Aaron leaves but is it not ironic that FINALLY the Packers have a good defense for the FIRST TIME since they won the Super Bowl with him when he was ~26/27?

Love may be entering a similar situation that AR had back around 2008, but MINUS the good wide receiving talent (ie Driver Jennings Jones Nelson). That would be near impossible to replicate to be 100% honest.

.. but the Packers FINALLY have a defense lol

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they aren't financially able to keep DeVondre Campbell, then that good defense will be a lot less good.
2 big pieces of why that defense was better aren't under any contract and we're going to be losing others just to save some money and get under the cap. this defense could look a lot different and not in a good way. I'm not ready to sign either Campbell or Rasul to big money long term contracts and we can't afford any short term ones for even medium money. Are we cutting both smiths to sign Campbell, are we better? Lowry actually earned his money this year. Keke was coming on, but something happened there. Lancaster moves into a starting role? Please no.

I think it's anything but a forgone conclusion this team has a great defense next year, or has the players to make it work.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they’ll let Campbell and Rasul both hit FA and see what they’re offered before shelling out money they already don’t have. Both were pretty much journeymen bouncing around as depth players when they came here. Other teams might see it as the same or maybe not but I think the smart thing is to let their value be set by the league first.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point is DBs, we arguably have the best DB group since early in his career besides maybe 2014....

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they’ll let Campbell and Rasul both hit FA and see what they’re offered before shelling out money they already don’t have. Both were pretty much journeymen bouncing around as depth players when they came here. Other teams might see it as the same or maybe not but I think the smart thing is to let their value be set by the league first.

I would offer a contract to Campbell immediately for a 3yr/18M deal. Signing bonus for 12M. at 28 going on 29. According to Spotrac its a good deal.

Campbell's New Contract Market

Rasul Douglas on the other hand is gonna take the biggest deal he can find. Unfortunately, he will be gone. If he wants to return to Green Bay, this defense will be formidable.

Rasul Douglas New Contract Market

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not blame Rasul if he left, he should do what is best for HIM.

I'd love to keep him but extending J'aire should be a priority over him. Would love to have J'aire, Stokes and Rasul as our 1 to 3 CBs. Chandon would be exceptional at number 4....

That most likely won't happen though

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Aaron leaves but is it not ironic that FINALLY the Packers have a good defense for the FIRST TIME since they won the Super Bowl with him when he was ~26/27?

Love may be entering a similar situation that AR had back around 2008, but MINUS the good wide receiving talent (ie Driver Jennings Jones Nelson). That would be near impossible to replicate to be 100% honest.

.. but the Packers FINALLY have a defense lol
And if what you say is true we could resemble the Bears of 15 years ago. A great D led by Urlacher and Tillman and a ragtag offense that can run the ball led by Rex Grossman. If that is the case I will take it. Grossman was the QB when the Bears got to the SB. I do not think any of us would complain if that happened since we have been AWOL from it since 2010.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if what you say is true we could resemble the Bears of 15 years ago. A great D led by Urlacher and Tillman and a ragtag offense that can run the ball led by Rex Grossman. If that is the case I will take it. Grossman was the QB when the Bears got to the SB. I do not think any of us would complain if that happened since we have been AWOL from it since 2010.
Jim McMahon was the QB in SuperBowl XX

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperBowl XX wasn’t 15 years ago. He was referring to 2007

Anyway, I still like the idea of building on our Defense as a foundation. We can get back to a top 5 Defense with a few resigning and a few additions/replacements.
lol forgot the Bears even made it go that Super bowl …. they lost anyway … not gonna recognize it ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet they draft a receiver too.
Why wouldn’t they? This is the most depleted WR room we have had going into the off season and that includes a Cobb with an exploding number that will not happen.

Never before has Green Bay needed WR more. Post Adams and presently Lazard is the most experienced that is likely to see 2022 with current contract situations.

Reaction score
Not responding to ignorance. Have a good one. Also love how you ignored the context of the post and purely extracted what you wanted and RAN with it to a place of ignorance.
Luckily I didn’t have to see his puke it’s grayed out. I disagree with posters every day. But A poster has to be pretty disrespectful to make my short list.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When do you think we'll know the status with Rodgers? I would think they would want to solve this particular piece of the puzzle as soon as possible, one way or the other.

Reaction score
I actually haven’t blocked him… I like the comedy.
Give it time my friend. Give it time. :p
When do you think we'll know the status with Rodgers? I would think they would want to solve this particular piece of the puzzle as soon as possible, one way or the other.
My best guess is after the Super Bowl dust settles… but before mid March. Some moving parts with him
Maybe 1st week March? We should start a raffle.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he said before the start of FA. So I’m guessing end of this month. He’s a pretty big domino that will likely dictate the direction our other big decisions are going to be.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this may not be the right place to ask this question but I'm going to anyway. What happens after the draft if our cap is so over the limit with the rookies we drafted? If we are over the cap limit how do we pay them?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this may not be the right place to ask this question but I'm going to anyway. What happens after the draft if our cap is so over the limit with the rookies we drafted? If we are over the cap limit how do we pay them?
The new "league year' Starts around the 2nd week of March. Teams must be under that by then. Any transaction after that must be accompanied by a corresponding action if needed to keep under the cap. I suspect they'll have plenty of room built in for the slotted draft contracts by the time the draft rolls around, but I guess if they didn't, they'd still have the draft, but those moves would need to be made when contracts were actually signed, because up until that point, they don't have anything but their rights as a player. But i'm just guessing.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gutey can franchise Adams on the 22nd. I don't think Rodgers stays unless we keep Adams.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts