Some irony if AR leaves...

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Aaron leaves but is it not ironic that FINALLY the Packers have a good defense for the FIRST TIME since they won the Super Bowl with him when he was ~26/27?

Love may be entering a similar situation that AR had back around 2008, but MINUS the good wide receiving talent (ie Driver Jennings Jones Nelson). That would be near impossible to replicate to be 100% honest.

.. but the Packers FINALLY have a defense lol
You know that there will be a loss of a lot of really good players this off season. It’s a shame that so many will leave to chase the big money but that’s football in 2022 and has been for many years. I still don’t understand why Rodgers has such a BIG problem winning the playoff games all of the time. Yes Special teams sure didn’t help this year and thank goodness they are FINALLY bringing in a decent special teams coordinator. Rodgers could have taken a little less money in order to give the Packers a little better opportunity to sign him some more help but no He needs all those millions of dollars and unfortunately that’s what has become the norm with the great players. They all think of themselves and not what they could accomplish with a little less greed as a football team. Favre even took a pay cut to help out the team. This is the part of professional sports that is a real turn off for Me.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that Aaron leaves but is it not ironic that FINALLY the Packers have a good defense for the FIRST TIME since they won the Super Bowl with him when he was ~26/27?

Love may be entering a similar situation that AR had back around 2008, but MINUS the good wide receiving talent (ie Driver Jennings Jones Nelson). That would be near impossible to replicate to be 100% honest.

.. but the Packers FINALLY have a defense lol

No but Love would have a quality run game to lean on.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams can win a lot of games with outstanding Ds - the Ravens and Steelers come to mind. And the Ravens have done it over time without a superstar QB. I just think it's inevitable that Rodgers gets traded, whether he likes it or not. Even so I just don't like the idea of losing Rodgers when he's playing this well. There's no easy answer to this situation.
The Ravens, Steelers, and Bears had more than outstanding defenses. They were beyond excellent at their peak time. But it is still very difficult to get to a SB although it has been done with Trent Dilfer or Rex Grossman as your QB. Terry Bradshaw, yes. Jordan Love????

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams can win a lot of games with outstanding Ds - the Ravens and Steelers come to mind. And the Ravens have done it over time without a superstar QB. I just think it's inevitable that Rodgers gets traded, whether he likes it or not. Even so I just don't like the idea of losing Rodgers when he's playing this well. There's no easy answer to this situation.
Totally disagree about the trading Rodgers against his wishes. I think they actually do want him back. It really is up to him…. If he wants to come back, they will pay him. if he doesn’t … again I think it will be up to him. I think this forum and the press are making people believe things that are definitely not guaranteed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know there's work to do, but we beat both teams playing on Sunday this past season. I don't think the players or the FO are in a hurry to jettison it all to start over if they can help it. This is a good team, it will look different, but with much of it intact the expectations will be high again.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally disagree about the trading Rodgers against his wishes. I think they actually do want him back. It really is up to him…. If he wants to come back, they will pay him. if he doesn’t … again I think it will be up to him. I think this forum and the press are making people believe things that are definitely not guaranteed.
If they keep him and pay him he will be coming back to a lesser team around him than he had this year. If he couldn't get it done with the team he had this year, there's no reasonable expectation that he'll be able to do it next year. Hence, logic dictates moving on and getting the best possible value in a trade.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they keep him and pay him he will be coming back to a lesser team around him than he had this year. If he couldn't get it done with the team he had this year, there's no reasonable expectation that he'll be able to do it next year. Hence, logic dictates moving on and getting the best possible value in a trade.
My post said nothing about what I want to happen or think should happen… it was simply a prediction about what I think will happen.

Reaction score
I still think there’s a 55% chance Rodgers suits up for us next few years.
Much of that stems from an experienced financial Guru like Russ. If you know your programs and parameters it’s amazing the different avenues you have of spreading Capital around. They’ll be some notable sacrifices, but they may be betting on our GM to get adequate talent from the bargain bin. He just showed formidable in turning leftovers into an award winning meal.
Also I might mention that the Packers are not the only ones in a tough financial predicament.
11 teams are starting with a -negative number, including 7 playoff teams. The best positioned team (Dolphins) this season is about $33,000,000 off last years best. To me that sounds like a correction is getting ready to happen. A higher % of players in each $ bracket are going to get put out to pasture. You could say that those lower priced contracts should produce better quality options. It would be the 1 year this Decade to bargain shop or use less aggressive offers on low priced guys. They likely won’t leave over a 5-15% offer difference. It’s expensive to move and relocate you’re family

Last edited:

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say trade Rodgers for 2 first rounders and then some. Let Adam's go. Not paying 30 mil for a receiver.
Try to sign JummyG to a 3 year deal and build up our D#/WR needs through draft.

Them run the damn ball with the good 0-line and 2 great backs we have and let JommyG feed of it.
Emphesis on suffocating D#.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say trade Rodgers for 2 first rounders and then some. Let Adam's go. Not paying 30 mil for a receiver.

Them run the damn ball with the good 0-line and 2 great backs we have and let JommyG feed of it.
Emphesis on suffocating D#.
How many teams have two first rounders? Why would they trade them for a player with one year on his contract? Suffocating D sounds great, but how long have they wanted that?

By the way, I just realized. With Shannon Woodley out of the picture, would he still want to go to Denver?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many teams have two first rounders? Why would they trade them for a player with one year on his contract? Suffocating D sounds great, but how long have they wanted that?

Besides the Rams I believe every single team has two firsts they could offer in a package...as tradeable picks if memory serves are three years in advance.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by Washington's "leak" that they'd be willing to package Chase Young to get AR (or Russel Wilson). #11, Young, and next year's #2 & #4 from Washington for AR (my guess on an offer)? GB wouldn't need to burn a high pick on OLB so could use the (2) 1sts to upgrade DL & WR? Sounds like a great scenario to me, although I don't think the Commies have enough cap to eat Young's dead $ AND sign AR to an extension. :(

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by Washington's "leak" that they'd be willing to package Chase Young to get AR (or Russel Wilson). #11, Young, and next year's #2 & #4 from Washington for AR (my guess on an offer)? GB wouldn't need to burn a high pick on OLB so could use the (2) 1sts to upgrade DL & WR? Sounds like a great scenario to me, although I don't think the Commies have enough cap to eat Young's dead $ AND sign AR to an extension. :(

They're setting quite well depending on who you read Spotrac has them with $30M space. This is why they would even consider doing such a push. They 100% have the offensive weapon power to put forth a very productive offense, young talent outside of Young on defense...I get it for a one or two year run quick by them while some of their weapons are affordable.

IF Rodgers is leaving this is a deal you have to consider without question...but I am not a fan of him staying in the NFC if we move him personally....but it has to be on the table of discussions.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They're setting quite well depending on who you read Spotrac has them with $30M space. This is why they would even consider doing such a push. They 100% have the offensive weapon power to put forth a very productive offense, young talent outside of Young on defense...I get it for a one or two year run quick by them while some of their weapons are affordable.

IF Rodgers is leaving this is a deal you have to consider without question...but I am not a fan of him staying in the NFC if we move him personally....but it has to be on the table of discussions.
There could be worse places to trade him to. I wouldn't worry to much about where he lands, as long as it is outside the NFC North. If the Packers are trading him, take the best offer and send him there. I think any offer for him will hinge on his willingness to sign a new contract with his new team. Nobody is going to trade much if it means just getting him on a 1 year deal.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There could be worse places to trade him to. I wouldn't worry to much about where he lands, as long as it is outside the NFC North. If the Packers are trading him, take the best offer and send him there. I think any offer for him will hinge on his willingness to sign a new contract with his new team. Nobody is going to trade much if it means just getting him on a 1 year deal.

Agree completely.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we let ARod leave & use the cap space to upgrade other positions. But what do I know?

The Packers could save as much cap space for next season by extending Rodgers.

Garoppolo is under contract with the Niners for next season. There's no way for the Packers to sign him.

How many teams have two first rounders?

The Eagles have three first round picks in this year's draft. Most likely they won't be interested in trading for Rodgers though.

When talking about mutliple first rounders most fans assume some of them will occur in future years though.

I highly doubt the Commanders are interested in trading Young.

Members online

Latest posts