Simple Question about the next 5 years..

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simple question..

Would you sacrafice the financial future of this team over the next 5 years in order to win 2 more SB's during that span?

I figure we have 5 more solid years of AR and the run is over. So, not that it will ever happen, but would it be worth it to all of you as fans?

D

Deleted member 6794

Simple question..

Would you sacrafice the financial future of this team over the next 5 years in order to win 2 more SB's during that span?

I figure we have 5 more solid years of AR and the run is over. So, not that it will ever happen, but would it be worth it to all of you as fans?

I don´t know what you mean exactly by sacrificing the financial future of the team but I don´t want Thompson to go all in for next season and risk to have huge problems staying under the cap after that. There´s no guarantee to win it all even with spending big in free agency, just take a look at the Eagles dream team or the 2014 Denver Broncos.

Once again the Packers have a talented team needing some upgrade at ILB, TE and the defensive line. I would like them to address that either via the draft or second- and third-tier free agency.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of disagree with the premise that spending a bunch of money equals success.

A targeted free agent every few years is a nice boost, and I think Ted waited too long to go after a guy like Peppers, but generally he does his business the right way. Got a bunch of important guys on our own team we have to worry about.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t know what you mean exactly by sacrificing the financial future of the team but I don´t want Thompson to go all in for next season and risk to have huge problems staying under the cap after that. There´s no guarantee to win it all even with spending big in free agency, just take a look at the Eagles dream team or the 2014 Denver Broncos.

I don't mean for this to be a go out and spend spend spend topic becasue I agree that it is no guarantee, but neither is the way we go about things. And let me just say I am and always have been on board with the TT philosophy.

I guess what I'm saying is instead of being so finacially responsible, would you be ok with being up against the cap for a few years and have to restructure deals year in and year out to get under if it meant SB's?

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess what I'm saying is instead of being so finacially responsible, would you be ok with being up against the cap for a few years and have to restructure deals year in and year out to get under if it meant SB's?

If being close to the cap would guarantee another two Super Bowl wins over the next five years I would be all in favour of it. But it doesn´t so I like Thompson´s approach.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like winning Super Bowls, but honestly I place a higher value on fielding a top team every year. Big spending in free agency and loose cap management are only a guarantee for an quicker demise. Look at all of the smarties that pointed at the 49ers as the "model" we should be following. How quickly did that flame flicker out?

Give me playoff losses any season over a possible return to the 1970s/80s.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If being close to the cap would guarantee another two Super Bowl wins over the next five years I would be all in favour of it. But it doesn´t so I like Thompson´s approach.

Fair enough. I'm just curious as to where Packer fans stand is all

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all about winning the Super Bowl. That said, Thompson's approach to me is overall the best model. I think we were definitely good enough to be, and should have been, World Champions this season. I felt we had everything in place last season, too, but we'll never know since injuries destroyed 2013.
Also, this isn't a team that went 'all in' and came up short, and will begin to come apart now. The Packers are well positioned for next season and beyond to legitimately contend for the title.

Purplepeopleeater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 more years of AR and the run is over...not sure about that, it seems after Favre left there was AR, and maybe in another 5 years you draft another great QB that can sit and be mentored by AR for a couple years. You never know what the future will bring. From what I saw, you don't need to spend more money on players, you need a new coach that won't let the team get complacent and conservative and celebrate going to the Super Bowl with 5 minutes left on the clock.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stick with the TT approach as Super Bowls are never guaranteed no matter how much money is spent. Draft and develop and keep the teams long term future in mind.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to imagine the Packers with no Rodgers.

But, 10 years ago, it was hard to imagine the Packers with no Favre.

I would guess in another 3-4 years they'll probably start looking for their future again. Scary thought.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 more years of AR and the run is over...not sure about that, it seems after Favre left there was AR, and maybe in another 5 years you draft another great QB that can sit and be mentored by AR for a couple years. You never know what the future will bring. From what I saw, you don't need to spend more money on players, you need a new coach that won't let the team get complacent and conservative and celebrate going to the Super Bowl with 5 minutes left on the clock.

The AR Run is over, the run of having arguably the best QB of all time is over, I meant it in that vain. Sure we could fine another great QB, I'd say to find one on par with the last 2 that we've had is pretty unlikely. These are once in a lifetime type of guys, you don't just find that off the street. Outside of Luck the last few years who has the tools to be the next best thing? Manziel? RG3? Bridgewater? Give me a break. I mean let's be honest, this can't keep up forever so that was the point of the topic sacrafice the future to win 2 more SB's or stay the course.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be extremely disappointing to only get 2 superbowl titles out of the careers of brett favre AND aaron rodgers.

H

HardRightEdge

Simple question..

First, you'd have to fashion some guarantee, like a duly notarized pact with the devil that does not mention my soul.

Assuming such contract is entered into, I'd insist that the sacrifice of the "financial future" is not a forever thing. Bottom dwelling from year 6 until they lay me in my grave (or rather the incinerator) wouldn't make for an acceptable deal in my mind. The actuarial tables give me around 22 years before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

However, if the tattered financial future was on the order of San Francisco's current self-inflicted cap wedgie (bad contracts, over the cap for 2015 already, aging stars), I recommend taking the deal.

Those problems can be rectified in 5 years or less with good drafts providing the franchise QB can still play. It's worth pointing out Rodgers would be 36 in year 6, so we're probably looking at some down years anyway in the 8-10+ year range regardless.

So, take the deal under the above specified conditions, with one additional caveat.

I am to have no knowledge whatsoever of the outcome of your meeting with Mr. Scratch. If I knew what was coming it wouldn't be any fun!

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it, the next QB after Rodgers is more likely to be mediocre than on the level of Favre/Rodgers. I think only twice in NFL history has a team had 2 straight "greatest QBs of all time". The other team would be the 9ers with Montana and Young.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean let's be honest, this can't keep up forever so that was the point of the topic sacrafice the future to win 2 more SB's or stay the course.

Taking a look at the Packers cap space for 2014 (approximately $7.5 million) the team actually spends a lot of money on the roster.

I really don't understand what else you want Thompson to do by suggesting to sacrifice the future as he can't spend over the cap.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be extremely disappointing to only get 2 superbowl titles out of the careers of brett favre AND aaron rodgers.

Yes, but in Favre's case he was mostly responsible for that with his playoff game interceptions. Rodgers is more the victim than the culprit of the recent losses.

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without Peppers (and even Guion) the Pack would not have advanced as far as they did.

Without Revis and Browner at CB and a number of other free agents NE is not that formidabl

Without free agents Seattle has no one on their D line,

We have a couple of holes and picking 30 no guarantee we can fill them. I expect TT to make every effort to see if there is a veteran ILBer available who can help this team.

H

HardRightEdge

Let's face it, the next QB after Rodgers is more likely to be mediocre than on the level of Favre/Rodgers. I think only twice in NFL history has a team had 2 straight "greatest QBs of all time". The other team would be the 9ers with Montana and Young.
The stage was set for Montana-to-Young before true free agency. It's probably no coincidence Montana was shipped to KC for the 1993 season, the year following true free agency kicked in.

You forgot Manning to Luck. That required dumping out to rock bottom for a year to secure the #1 pick with a very special player on the board.

H

HardRightEdge

Taking a look at the Packers cap space for 2014 (approximately $7.5 million) the team actually spends a lot of money on the roster.

I really don't understand what else you want Thompson to do by suggesting to sacrifice the future as he can't spend over the cap.
While I'm certainly not advocating this position short of the ironclad contract with Beelzebub as previously outlined, Thompson could do a lot more if he was of a mind to mortgage the future.

Players love signing bonuses. He could sign a bunch of players, his own and others, and renegotiate current deals, with generous signing bonuses and low early-year salaries thereby deferring the cap hit to future years.

That's how SF is over the cap already for next year with an aging cast of stars, and Crabtree, Iupati and Gore hitting free agency.

Which begs the question: What deal with the devil did Seattle make to get their soon-to-be two rings? It wasn't future cap hell...they're in good shape.

PackManDan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simple question..

Why would the "run be over"? I bet most of you guys thought after Favre we would be crappy for awhile but then we got lucky and got Rodgers. Who is to say we don't select a very good QB in the draft again and get lucky?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, just history and 'the odds'. A limited number of great-to-great examples, no great-to-great-to-great that come to mind. And, remember how much had to fall into place just to get AR to follow Favre.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the "run be over"? I bet most of you guys thought after Favre we would be crappy for awhile but then we got lucky and got Rodgers. Who is to say we don't select a very good QB in the draft again and get lucky?
Alot have us have memories of the 70's and 80's when it took the Packers a couple of decades to find a decent QB after Bart Starr.
It's possible that could happen again.
I hope noy because I don't have more than a decade left in me.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont ever want to be in cap hell ala Dallas or Washington. I love how we build our team. Its the right way.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts