signed UDFA's!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Lucky 13! 13 being the current # of WR's on the roster. 4 UDFA's, 1 draftee and 8 carried over.

Seems like a lot of guys being looked at in a position that was once considered our strength, but maybe I am reading into it?

The Packers entered training camp last season with 12 receivers on the roster, so I think you're reading too much into it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amusing at best guys are already writing a late rounder like Janis from a small school off already. LOL. We have seen 1 true game at WR for him, and he did well....either way he is a ST stud and that alone makes his draft pick worthy of the term "working out" to me personally.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You may be seeing more into it than what's there. The #5 and #6 spots need to be competitive which is probably the reason. With Nelson out, Jones more savvy than speedy (quite slow actually), Rodgers moving like molasses through routes, and Adams playing on bum foot, and out-of-shape Eddie not the receiving threat he was in 2014, you were probably looking at the slowest receiving corps in the NFL.

They're looking for guys with speed who can play. First Myles White, then Janis, have not quite worked out as hoped.

In any case, 10 at a minimum would be expected on the basis of simple position balance. If you carry 6 on the 53 man roster, that's 11% of the players. 11% of 90 gets you to 10. So 13 is not so far out of line.
Just curious HRE. How has Janis not quite worked out?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm only answering the question about Janis for myself. I think if you ask McCarthy or AR to be candid about Janis, which they have to some extent, he hasn't "worked out" from the stand point of he hasn't been a guy that has been a quick study of the playbook or technique. This frustration with Janis is pretty publically known. Where he has worked out is as a gunner on special teams. Now do you expect more from a 7th rounder? Probably not, many WR's drafted in the past don't make it for the same reasons or a lack of physical talent. Janis has the physical tools to be really good, which is maybe why some of us feel "he hasn't worked out" as a WR.....yet.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping the AZ game was Janis' coming out party. We'll see though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
An interesting, but good dilemma with Janis. What if all of a sudden he becomes a good WR and lines up every down. Do you still use him as a gunner?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm only answering the question about Janis for myself. I think if you ask McCarthy or AR to be candid about Janis, which they have to some extent, he hasn't "worked out" from the stand point of he hasn't been a guy that has been a quick study of the playbook or technique. This frustration with Janis is pretty publically known. Where he has worked out is as a gunner on special teams. Now do you expect more from a 7th rounder? Probably not, many WR's drafted in the past don't make it for the same reasons or a lack of physical talent. Janis has the physical tools to be really good, which is maybe why some of us feel "he hasn't worked out" as a WR.....yet.
It just doesn't make sense. There a lot of successful WRs in the league that don't exactly evoke intelligence, yet Janis seems to be struggling mentally.

Maybe there's a lot to process, and if so, it's definitely a quantity over quality system of plays. We were actually thinking of bringing Ross back in the wake of the injury to Nelson. That doesn't exactly make me feel good, that we have to resort to such a bad player because the system is so difficult to pick up for newcomers, even talented ones who could help right away.

The one thing learned last year is that the system is very easy for defenses to figure out, and the only thing that makes it work is talent. I'm really disappointed they didn't bring in a different OC to improve the play design and streamline the process for newcomers.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It just doesn't make sense. There a lot of successful WRs in the league that don't exactly evoke intelligence, yet Janis seems to be struggling mentally.

Maybe there's a lot to process, and if so, it's definitely a quantity over quality system of plays. We were actually thinking of bringing Ross back in the wake of the injury to Nelson. That doesn't exactly make me feel good, that we have to resort to such a bad player because the system is so difficult to pick up for newcomers, even talented ones who could help right away.

The one thing learned last year is that the system is very easy for defenses to figure out, and the only thing that makes it work is talent. I'm really disappointed they didn't bring in a different OC to improve the play design and streamline the process for newcomers.

Having a complicated offense is a 2 edge sword. When you have a very intelligent QB with talent, like Rodgers, it can be very successful. However, you need intelligent, healthy WR's as well. I think we found out last year what happens when some of those qualities are lacking.

As far as other teams figuring our offense out, I think they figured out what the Packers had to become, with limited weapons. I think having a healthy Jordy back, Cook at TE, as well as better luck with the injuries of other WR's, will change that side of it.

H

HardRightEdge

Just curious HRE. How has Janis not quite worked out?
He's just not a natural catcher of the football. He's supposed to be a field stretcher but he doesn't track the ball well. He's improved his catch radius somewhat (i.e., getting over the body catching) but he's still substandard in that area. He's going into his 3rd. year and still struggles with basic routes. I think you needed to see more through 2 seasons.

That's not to say he won't make the roster on the strength of special teams play.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if janis is the measure of a 7th rounder not working out, i think i'll start valuing 7th round picks a bit more

H

HardRightEdge

if janis is the measure of a 7th rounder not working out, i think i'll start valuing 7th round picks a bit more
You could look at that way. Or you could say developmental guys where it is evident at draft time they won't be ready until the "second year jump", if it happens, are sharply discounted below their athletic potential. He's not just a 7th. round pick...there's been an investment of time and a roster spot. The physical talent simply hasn't manifested itself as the necessary complement of receiver skills.

You can get all fantasy-jiggy over a 100 yard game, but I would remind you of the fate of Jarrett Boykin. He had a 100 yd. game, if I recall correctly, and 681 yards total in his second season. Then there were 3 catches in his 3rd., and then he was gone. Why? He was just too darn slow, the same reason Jones was not brought back.

Janis is not slow. His problem is different, but the point is the same. He has not yet shown himself to have developed NFL wide receiver skills, some of which might be improved upon with repetition but cannot be coached.

Why the heck do you think they drafted a speedy WR in the 5th., one for whom Wolf highlighted ball tracking skills? I don't think it's a coincidence that the draftee also returned KOs in college.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

You could look at that way. Or you could say developmental guys where it is evident at draft time they won't be ready until the "second year jump", if it happens, are sharply discounted below their athletic potential. He's not just a 7th. round pick...there's been an investment of time and a roster spot. The physical talent simply hasn't manifested itself as the necessary complement of receiver skills.

You can get all fantasy-jiggy over a 100 yard game, but I would remind you of the fate of Jarrett Boykin. He had a 100 yd. game, if I recall correctly, and 681 yards total in his second season. Then there were 3 catches in his 3rd., and then he was gone. Why? He was just too darn slow, the same reason Jones was not brought back.

Janis is not slow. His problem is different, but the point is the same. He has not yet shown himself to have developed NFL wide receiver skills, some of which might be improved upon with repetition but cannot be coached.

Why the heck do you think they drafted a speedy WR in the 5th., one for whom Wolf highlighted ball tracking skills? I don't think it's a coincidence that the draftee also returned KOs in college.

I think fans had way too much expectations for Janis because of his superb athleticism coming out of college. They forgot about him being a developmental player after dominating in Division II mostly thanks to his physical traits but not being a polished receiver.

It´s disappointing that he hasn´t improved his route running and understanding of the game enough after two seasons in the Packers system and in my opinion there´s reason to believe he will never fully grasp the team´s complex playbook.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me personally....throw out his offensive production or lack there of at WR.

Janis has worked out well above what he should have merely because of his ST contributions. That alone has provided more value than you typically see out of a 7th.

Sprinkle on top he showed he may just be a gamer at WR as well when given the chance is a bonus.

D

Deleted member 6794

Me personally....throw out his offensive production or lack there of at WR.

Janis has worked out well above what he should have merely because of his ST contributions. That alone has provided more value than you typically see out of a 7th.

Sprinkle on top he showed he may just be a gamer at WR as well when given the chance is a bonus.

I agree, the expectations by some Packers fans for Janis after he got drafted were extremely unrealistic and that´s why there´s disappointment about his development.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think fans had way too much expectations for Janis because of his superb athleticism coming out of college. They forgot about him being a developmental player after dominating in Division II mostly thanks to his physical traits but not being a polished receiver.

It´s disappointing that he hasn´t improved his route running and understanding of the game enough after two seasons in the Packers system and in my opinion there´s reason to believe he will never fully grasp the team´s complex playbook.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. For a development player like Janis to get playing time, he is either going to have to earn it in the pre-season, practices or due to injuries. Further, there is a limited window to do this in and show potential, 1-2 years maybe? Last year Janis only saw the field as a WR, because of lots of injuries to the rest of the position. The stroke of luck for Janis (and the Packers) was putting him in as gunner on the punt team and to some extent, kick returns. Had it not been for his stellar play at gunner, I think he would be a long shot to be given a 3rd year as a developmental WR.

So if he is given that 3rd year, he will hopefully continue to develop at WR and shine on special teams, but I still don't see him getting much playing time at WR, unless there are injuries or he is finally able to make that next step up. I hope he does, but also hope the Packers don't give up on a guy like Charles Johnson, to wait around for that potential, unless they feel that his ST's play is well worth the roster spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope he does, but also hope the Packers don't give up on a guy like Charles Johnson, to wait around for that potential, unless they feel that his ST's play is well worth the roster spot.

Johnson had a nice season for a seventh round pick in 2014 but significantly regressed last season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Johnson had a nice season for a seventh round pick in 2014 but significantly regressed last season.

His rib injury early in the season last year cost him some playing time and I agree, after that he wasn't able to work his way back into the starting line-up. But from a sheer potential standpoint at WR, what he did in 2014 was impressive enough to sting a bit that we let him go in favor of keeping Janis or Abby.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis, seems to be the kind of player that frustrates a lot of my coaching friends, "Gamer...nothing more."

I don't doubt he struggles with the playbook, and route refinement and reading defenses otherwise I too feel he'd been on the field more and sooner. I just think his "play" IQ is high but his game IQ may suffer. Some guys don't get the intricate things in a game or are able to digest a playbook...however give them a task on the field and they find a way to make it happen. Frustrating as H*** for a coach....

....I mean think back to the AZ game, broken plays were what Janis thrived on...he couldn't get open until he had to improvise and AR had to improvise. Shows he has something...but is it something which can be built on? That is the big question with Janis....

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may very well end up with 14 WR on the roster after rookie mini camp. As they have invited Patrick Donahue a teammate of moritz boeringer in the gfl. He in fact has similar speed but lacks the size of the recent Vikings draft pick. He also put up way better numbers than moritz last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

They may very well end up with 14 WR on the roster after rookie mini camp. As they have invited Patrick Donahue a teammate of moritz boeringer in the gfl. He in fact has similar speed but lacks the size of the recent Vikings draft pick. He also put up way better numbers than moritz last season.

Well, currently the Packers have 90 players on their roster so if one of the tryouts impresses during rookie camp the team has to release another guy.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They may very well end up with 14 WR on the roster after rookie mini camp.

They may have to come up with a quick numbering system for the coaches to keep track of all those WR's as well as bring in a few extra Jugs machines to give them work! I hear Johnny Manziel is looking for work, he may come cheaper then a new Jugs machine? :coffee:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts