signed UDFA's!!!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Callahan, QB, Wesley College
  • 6'1 and 216. 4.98 , 33 vert. 4.7 in shuttle, 7.47 in 3cone
  • Couldnt watch a full game film only highlight so take with grain of salt.
  • Needs work on feet movement, I compared his feet to Goffs and joe's was atrocious.
  • Highlight tape showed he can make the big boy throws down field.
  • Could make QB depth or put on Practice Squad
Here's what Silverstein (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ollege-quarterback-b99713787z1-377206321.html) had to say about Callahan pre-draft:

"The Packers are looking for a fourth quarterback to go with Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley and Ryan Williams and they like what they've seen in the strong-armed Callahan. Wesley's level of competition isn't SEC-worthy, but they are aware of the talent at Division III powerhouse Mount Union and only needed to turn on tape of Wesley's quarterfinal playoff game in Alliance, Ohio, two years ago to see what he did against the Purple Raiders.

"He was running for his life," Wesley coach Mike Drass said. "I don't think any of the passes he completed were from the pocket. He threw for 633 yards and eight touchdowns. We were down, 31-0, after the first quarter and he never pressed the panic button." "

If the guy can scramble, he'll be a perfect fit for our offensive (pun intended) line, imo.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what names jump out at any of you from these UDFA's? The easy choices are Brown, Pikula and Brice.
Manoa Pikula, Makinton Dorleant and Peter Mortell. Might be a few more who will make it or be put on practice squad.

Pikula will need to show he can cover, Dorleant has a lot special teams experience (Remeber Goodson is suspended opening weeks) and showed man press/coverage. Mortell will make or break Masthay.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched that video yesterday and was like "what the heck...?" He runs like a little kid chasing a balloon floating just over his head.
bruh... hahaha i think he was skipping or skating to the runner hahaha...

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what Silverstein (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ollege-quarterback-b99713787z1-377206321.html) had to say about Callahan pre-draft:

"The Packers are looking for a fourth quarterback to go with Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley and Ryan Williams and they like what they've seen in the strong-armed Callahan. Wesley's level of competition isn't SEC-worthy, but they are aware of the talent at Division III powerhouse Mount Union and only needed to turn on tape of Wesley's quarterfinal playoff game in Alliance, Ohio, two years ago to see what he did against the Purple Raiders.

"He was running for his life," Wesley coach Mike Drass said. "I don't think any of the passes he completed were from the pocket. He threw for 633 yards and eight touchdowns. We were down, 31-0, after the first quarter and he never pressed the panic button." "

If the guy can scramble, he'll be a perfect fit for our offensive (pun intended) line, imo.
Agree. He definitely can feel the pressure, move and throw on the run when someone turns on the tape of him. Just needs to fine tune his feet mechanics.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I knew nothing about Pikula until yesterday. I watched a different video on him and liked what I saw (below). Of course, cherry picking a players highlights for draft propaganda is never the full story on a player. But I also liked what I read about the guy. Great character, High motor, smart, dedicated to his craft and has steadily improved. Comes from a good program and looked good against Division 1 teams.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew nothing about Pikula until yesterday. I watched a different video on him and liked what I saw (below). Of course, cherry picking a players highlights for draft propaganda is never the full story on a player. But I also liked what I read about the guy. Great character, High motor, smart, dedicated to his craft and has steadily improved. Comes from a good program and looked good against Division 1 teams.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Ye sirr. He'd definitely has a chance.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that there will be at least 3 Free Agent Signings to make the team - maybe as many as 4.
One RB to replace Crockett:
Brandon Burns, RB, Troy: 5-8 ½, 208, 4.55. Three-year player. Carried 431 times for 2,264 yards (5.3) and 12 TDs. Also caught 88 passes for 673 yards and three TDs.
Don Jackson, RB, Nevada: 5-9 ½, 205, 4.49. Rushed 529 times for 2,370 yards (4.5) and 19 TDs. Also caught 23 passes for 269 yards and two TDs.
We saw last year that Speed Kills and having a true change of pace RB makes the most sense.

A 3rd String QB:
Joe Callahan, QB, Wesley (Mass.): 6-1, 216, 4.98. Completed 918 of 1,429 passes for 12,883 yards, 130 TDs and 38 interceptions in an NCAA Division III program. His NFL passer rating was 112.4.

Also, there will be at least one Free Agent DB that will make the team - maybe 2:
to replace Casey Heyward

Makinton Dorleant, CB, Northern Iowa
Dorleant, 5-feet-10 ½ inches and 183 pounds, has the speed (4.39) and background to become the latest undrafted success at cornerback for the Packers.
Josh Hawkins, CB, East Carolina: 5-10 ½, 189, 4.4. Four-year player with nine interceptions. Vertical jump of 40 ½.
Kentrell Brice, S, Louisiana Tech: 5-11 ½, 200, 4.34. Explosive athlete. Vertical jump of 42 and broad jump of 11-1 would have surpassed all safeties at the combine.

Also, if this guy can catch then he's a candidate for the Practice Squad because of his speed.
Devonte Robinson, WR, Utah State: 6-1, 188, 4.32. One of the fastest players in the draft. Had 44 receptions for 552 yards (12.6) and four TDs.

H

HardRightEdge

I think that there will be at least 3 Free Agent Signings to make the team - maybe as many as 4.
One RB to replace Crockett:
Brandon Burns, RB, Troy: 5-8 ½, 208, 4.55. Three-year player. Carried 431 times for 2,264 yards (5.3) and 12 TDs. Also caught 88 passes for 673 yards and three TDs.
Don Jackson, RB, Nevada: 5-9 ½, 205, 4.49. Rushed 529 times for 2,370 yards (4.5) and 19 TDs. Also caught 23 passes for 269 yards and two TDs.
We saw last year that Speed Kills and having a true change of pace RB makes the most sense.

A 3rd String QB:
Joe Callahan, QB, Wesley (Mass.): 6-1, 216, 4.98. Completed 918 of 1,429 passes for 12,883 yards, 130 TDs and 38 interceptions in an NCAA Division III program. His NFL passer rating was 112.4.

Also, there will be at least one Free Agent DB that will make the team - maybe 2:
to replace Casey Heyward

Makinton Dorleant, CB, Northern Iowa
Dorleant, 5-feet-10 ½ inches and 183 pounds, has the speed (4.39) and background to become the latest undrafted success at cornerback for the Packers.
Josh Hawkins, CB, East Carolina: 5-10 ½, 189, 4.4. Four-year player with nine interceptions. Vertical jump of 40 ½.
Kentrell Brice, S, Louisiana Tech: 5-11 ½, 200, 4.34. Explosive athlete. Vertical jump of 42 and broad jump of 11-1 would have surpassed all safeties at the combine.

Also, if this guy can catch then he's a candidate for the Practice Squad because of his speed.
Devonte Robinson, WR, Utah State: 6-1, 188, 4.32. One of the fastest players in the draft. Had 44 receptions for 552 yards (12.6) and four TDs.
The TE Grinnage can run block, which is not something you can say about the incumbents except perhaps Cook, and I base Cook's ability solely on the PFF grade reported by the Captain since I cannot confess to actually seeing him do it. What he might do in the zone blocking scheme could appear confused. We'll need to see how that works out.

Why a blocking TE? Because there is no other way to describe the drive killing failures on 3rd. and short other than an underappreciated liability. I don't care how fat Eddie Lacy might have been, he still packed a punch, as does Starks. There is no reason to believe those failures are to be put on anybody but the O-Line. Having somebody who can run block next to Bakhtiari might go some ways in solving this problem. And it doesn't hurt to have a blocker on special teams.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about the disappointing 3rd and short conversion but don't you think that we
could line up Spriggs at end similar to the Kevin Barry package that Sherman used?

I was hoping that having Solari as an assistant O line coach would have helped, but
it seemed to be worse than in previous years.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree about the disappointing 3rd and short conversion but don't you think that we could line up Spriggs at end...
Actually, I believe I may be the first known human being to have suggested this possibility pre-draft. He entered college at 265 lbs. as a possible TE, and we know him to be athletic. My thesis is that you throw the ball to him once for a first down, and opponents have to respect it and not tee off on the run from that side. Then when you do run you have somebody who can actually block, not something we can say about the incumbent TEs.

You mentioned Berry...that's a different kind of cat...a real road grader.

That was something, though...Ahman Green coverted 3rd. and 1 something like 29 out of 30 times over two seasons. I don't know if the story is true or just apocryphal, but I think it was Flanagan who looked up from the center position to tell an opponent "we're running at you and you're not going to stop it."

Different time then, when O-Linemen were valued as much for the run game as pass protection.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-2_12-16-47.png
    upload_2016-5-2_12-16-47.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 398
  • upload_2016-5-2_12-17-20.png
    upload_2016-5-2_12-17-20.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 380
  • upload_2016-5-2_12-17-27.png
    upload_2016-5-2_12-17-27.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I believe I may be the first known human being to have suggested this possibility pre-draft. He entered college at 265 lbs. as a possible TE, and we know him to be athletic. My thesis is that you throw the ball to him once for a first down, and opponents have to respect it and not tee off on the run from that side. Then when you do run you have somebody who can actually block, not something we can say about the incumbent TEs.

You mentioned Berry...that's a different kind of cat...a real road grader.

That was something, though...Ahman Green coverted 3rd. and 1 something like 29 out of 30 times over two seasons. I don't know if the story is true or just apocryphal, but I think it was Flanagan who looked up from the center position to tell an opponent "we're running at you and you're not going to stop it."

Different time then, when O-Linemen were valued as much for the run game as pass protection.
Good story. I remember thinking often during that two year stretch that I was watching the best Packer running game I'd ever seen. I think it was better than the 60's running game.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to the Journal Sentinel these players are expected to attend rookie camp, which will most likey be held this week, on a tryout basis:

DE Kyle Steuck, Northern Michigan
RB Savon Huggins, Northern Iowa
QB Gary Nova, Rutgers (he went undrafted in 2014)
WR Mitch Skarban, Wisconsin Lutheran
G Lucas Patrick, Duke
G Cory Tucker, Slippery Rock
DE/OLB Dale Pierson, Iowa State

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers signed Georgia Tech safety Demond Smith as another undrafted free agent. In addition the team invited Georgia Tech RB Broderick Snoody and WR Patrick Donahue, who was a teammate of Moritz Boehringer in the German Football League last season, to rookie camp this week.

Donahue actually had better numbers than Boehringer in the GFL last season (75 receptions for 1,353 yards and 17 TDs) and according to the Journal Sentinel ran a 4.4 40.

Last edited by a moderator:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers signed Georgia Tech safety Demond Smith as another undrafted free agent. In addition the team invited Georgia Tech RB Broderick Snoody and WR Patrick Donahue, who was a teammate of Moritz Boehringer in the German Football League last season, to rookie camp this week.

Donahue actually had better numbers than Boehringer in the GFL last season (75 receptions for 1,353 yards and 17 TDs) and according to the Journal Sentinel ran a 4.4 40.

Ah, yes. Patrick Donahue of the mighty Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns. Yes, seriously.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have signed undrafted free agent Miami WR Herb Waters. A native of Homestead, Fla., he played four years for the Hurricanes and earned a starting role as a senior. He caught 41 passes for 624 yards last season — both collegiate-high totals — and scored one touchdown.

Though it took him three years to become a starter, Waters was a steady contributor. He caught 28 passes for 406 yards and five touchdowns as a sophomore, then followed up with 20 catches for 277 yards and one touchdown as a junior.

At 5-11½ and 188 pounds, Waters flashed terrific potential as a true freshman in 2012. He played in 12 games, starting two, and averaged 22.7 yards per catch on 10 receptions. Both of his touchdown catches were 65 yards or more.

Waters ran the 40-yard dash in 4.50 seconds and posted a vertical leap of 38.5 inches.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers have signed undrafted free agent Miami WR Herb Waters.

Lucky 13! 13 being the current # of WR's on the roster. 4 UDFA's, 1 draftee and 8 carried over.

Seems like a lot of guys being looked at in a position that was once considered our strength, but maybe I am reading into it?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lucky 13! 13 being the current # of WR's on the roster. 4 UDFA's, 1 draftee and 8 carried over.

Seems like a lot of guys being looked at in a position that was once considered our strength, but maybe I am reading into it?

I can't remember a time between draft picks and UDFA and tryouts that we didn't have over 10 or 12. Fairly on par, even in the Driver days of 4 and 5 solid.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can't remember a time between draft picks and UDFA and tryouts that we didn't have over 10 or 12. Fairly on par, even in the Driver days of 4 and 5 solid.

Yeah I may be reading more into it then I should. Just struck me as odd when looking at all the UDFA's signed by other teams, we were pretty heavy on the WR's in comparison. Will be lots of competition for those UDFA's to compete for a spot, that on paper, appears to be a PS spot at best.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've always like 1 or 2 WRs on our Practice squad, plug and pop if injury bug eats is most likely the reasoning. I think the kid from Utah State we got will stick on PS.

H

HardRightEdge

You may be seeing more into it than what's there. The #5 and #6 spots need to be competitive which is probably the reason. With Nelson out, Jones more savvy than speedy (quite slow actually), Rodgers moving like molasses through routes, and Adams playing on bum foot, and out-of-shape Eddie not the receiving threat he was in 2014, you were probably looking at the slowest receiving corps in the NFL.

They're looking for guys with speed who can play. First Myles White, then Janis, have not quite worked out as hoped.

In any case, 10 at a minimum would be expected on the basis of simple position balance. If you carry 6 on the 53 man roster, that's 11% of the players. 11% of 90 gets you to 10. So 13 is not so far out of line.

Members online

Latest posts