Shut Rodgers down?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....people say that now and I am taking all your names down :whistling: and I don't want to hear any belly aching from any of you before, during or after the draft of "oh **** we could have picked that guy, had we lost our last 2 games! ;)

I'm picking up that gauntlet

D

Deleted member 6794

Just out of personal curiosity, how many people would want Aaron Rodgers playing in a game if the Packers were firmly locked into having home field advantage throughout the playoffs? Also, curious to know how your answer would differ from that scenario to the scenario we have now.

Thank you.

I'm not in favor of resting players that are healthy enough to take the field at all regardless of the situation. What good did it do the Packers in 2011???

BTW I'm curious to know where you draw the line on which players to rest??? No matter where it would possibly result in starters not being important enough to be held out of meaningless games questioning their value to the team.

That might end up having a worse effect on next season than the team ending up with a different draft position or a player suffering an injury.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW I'm curious to know where you draw the line on which players to rest??? No matter where it would possibly result in starters not being important enough to be held out of meaningless games questioning their value to the team.

There's only one player on this team whose presence makes or breaks a season. I'm sure the other players might be a little put off, but on some level they have to understand this fact.

If AR gets bent over backwards and shreads his knee today it's a 30million (or whatever) flush for next season. And for what? Because he's prideful and for all intents and purposes runs the franchuse? Him playing today is a big sign of weakness for the Packers FO imo and just goes to show how much Rodgers controls the franchise.

Add to the fact that he has at least some kind of nagging injury and it's downright irresponsible. Carolina knew it was time to shut Cam down. But we're afraid to stand up to Aaron.

D

Deleted member 6794

Him playing today is a big sign of weakness for the Packers FO imo and just goes to show how much Rodgers controls the franchise.

Add to the fact that he has at least some kind of nagging injury and it's downright irresponsible. Carolina knew it was time to shut Cam down. But we're afraid to stand up to Aaron.

It's ridiculous to suggest that the front office is afraid to make decisions without Rodgers blessing. If that's true why aren't Van Pelt and Nelson (among a long list of others) not with the team anymore???

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to suggest that the front office is afraid to make decisions without Rodgers blessing. If that's true why aren't Van Pelt and Nelson (among a long list of others) not with the team anymore???

If I'm not mistaken both of those decisions were made before they were held hostage by his contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Pretty easy for me, I draw the line at how to approach these last 2 games. A win or two to end this season, in my opinion, does nothing in the way of "momentum" into 2019. How would 2 more loses look if you went all in? How would having Rodgers, Bahk or Adams suffer a major injury help the team?

How do you approach the 4th quarter of a game when you are getting blown out or blowing someone out? Is pulling the starters in that situation any different? Some will say "that is different, the game is already won or lost". I would contend the season is already lost this year and tacking on a W or L does nothing.

I sit starters who are very important to the team moving forward in 2019, we can debate who those players might be. I sit guys who won't be playing in Green Bay next year, if those decisions are already known. The guys I play are the ones who will be in camp competing for jobs next year and the experience they gain in the next 2 games benefit them and the team moving forward.

This all comes down to what is perceived to be acceptable to fans. I realize sitting players in this situation wouldn't be a popular decision for most fans, but I can almost guarantee you, we will see some variation of it by most of the teams that are eliminated, the Packer organization will have to decide what they feel is "acceptable" to their fans.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main guy I would like to see is Kizer. So you can't really sit your O linemen in order to be able to make any kind of evaluation of him.

D

Deleted member 6794

If I'm not mistaken both of those decisions were made before they were held hostage by his contract.

First of all the Packers aren't held hostage by Rodgers contract. Secondly that has nothing to do with what I posted.

I sit starters who are very important to the team moving forward in 2019, we can debate who those players might be.

So you're fine with telling the rest of the starters that end up playing that they aren't that important to the team??? In my opinion that's a terrible approach.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't you think that the starters who are there because there's just nobody better available already know it?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So you're fine with telling the rest of the starters that end up playing that they aren't that important to the team??? In my opinion that's a terrible approach.

Not at all. How do you think starters feel during the preseason? During blowouts? Might mean they need more work or as HE just pointed out, there isn't much behind them.

Hell, they "benched" MM with 4 games to go and still in playoff contention. ;)

Again, for me it breaks down to what is best for the team we are going to field in 2019. The last 2 games I basically view as pre-preseason games, so why not take advantage of that and use them in the same way.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The main guy I would like to see is Kizer. So you can't really sit your O linemen in order to be able to make any kind of evaluation of him.
The O-line is pretty banged up as it is and I don't think that its really about evaluating Kizer, more about giving him more playing time and experience.

People expecting to see 2 teams that look like they are fighting for playoff spots, probably shouldn't tune into games like this.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I've changed my mind, it just might be a good idea to shut him down. It's not out of fear of injury, although this OL is certainly awful enough to cause it.

But I just see a QB who at this point is mentally checked out. I mean, let's be real, this whole offense is a mess from the OL and everyone not named Adams. Philbin has no control over this team, inmates are running the asylum ... The bottom line is I think you can still get some more good years out of AR but it won't happen until the next HC gets in here and gets this animal house under control. It's still MM's playbook we're using out there and this whole coaching staff had better have their interview pitches ready because they should all be out of work in 1265 after this awful season which ... Damn it's almost as bad as 2005, only then at least we had some injuries to Javon Walker and Ahman Green to blame. No such things this time.

I'd start Kizer not because I want to move on from Rodgers, but just cuz I'd prefer he get a head start hitting the mental reset button and ... Well if this team is going to suck then put the sucker Kizer in to go down with it. If he stinks, good, then we can nab a better backup and maybe one who could actually have potential to replace AR once he retires.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't you think that the starters who are there because there's just nobody better available already know it?

I highly doubt pro football player are any good in evaluating their own talent. Remember Terrell Manning for example??? He was convinced to develop into the best linebacker in the league but wasn't good enough to play in more than 11 career games.

Not at all. How do you think starters feel during the preseason? During blowouts? Might mean they need more work or as HE just pointed out, there isn't much behind them.

Again, for me it breaks down to what is best for the team we are going to field in 2019. The last 2 games I basically view as pre-preseason games, so why not take advantage of that and use them in the same way.

The coaching staff has to figure out which players should make the 53 during the preseason. While the last two games aren't important for the Packers anymore this season there's no such thing at this point of the season. By resting some of your starters you tell the other ones there aren't important enough to take a break though.

I think I've changed my mind, it just might be a good idea to shut him down. It's not out of fear of injury, although this OL is certainly awful enough to cause it.

But I just see a QB who at this point is mentally checked out.

There's no doubt Rodgers struggled this season but if you truly believe that he has mentally checked out you need to rewatch yesterday's game with a different mindset once again.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt pro football player are any good in evaluating their own talent. Remember Terrell Manning for example??? He was convinced to develop into the best linebacker in the league but wasn't good enough to play in more than 11 career games.

The coaching staff has to figure out which players should make the 53 during the preseason. While the last two games aren't important for the Packers anymore this season there's no such thing at this point of the season. By resting some of your starters you tell the other ones there aren't important enough to take a break though.

There's no doubt Rodgers struggled this season but if you truly believe that he has mentally checked out you need to rewatch yesterday's game with a different mindset once again.

Over the course of the second half I believe he kinda figured, "hey are we really going to lose like this to the Jets?" He was having to run a lot cuz our current system has been defective in the red zone. Plus I think part of the problem is our guys are not getting open where he expects them to be, or when they do I think he doesn't trust what he sees.

Unlike some, I don't pin the blame on Rodgers for what the offense has had problems with. But I really think by now he has to be thinking man, how many more times do I gotta be yelling at my guys to work their way back to me?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
But I really think by now he has to be thinking man, how many more times do I gotta be yelling at my guys to work their way back to me?
Probably as often as his receivers are wondering why they have to use their entire catch radius to battle the defender for the ball. Or when did the skip pass became part of Aaron's arsenal. Or calculating how high a ladder they'd need to catch that last pass.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
There's only one player on this team whose presence makes or breaks a season. I'm sure the other players might be a little put off, but on some level they have to understand this fact.

If AR gets bent over backwards and shreads his knee today it's a 30million (or whatever) flush for next season. And for what? Because he's prideful and for all intents and purposes runs the franchuse? Him playing today is a big sign of weakness for the Packers FO imo and just goes to show how much Rodgers controls the franchise.

It's utterly insane to suggest that the Packers are afraid to make a decision on Aaron. You're thinking about this backwards, Aaron is actually "held hostage" by the Packers because he's locked in to a deal for a very, very long time. He has no choice but to play football for the Green Bay Packers. The Packers can decide whatever they want about Aaron, and he can't do a damn thing about it.

It baffles me how some are finding fault with Aaron exhibiting great leadership in taking the field these last couple games.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It baffles me how some are finding fault with Aaron exhibiting great leadership in taking the field these last couple games.

Not blaming Rodgers for wanting to play, imI blaming the front office for allowing it to happen and pandering to his

I'm not faulting Rodgers for wanting to play. I'm faulting management for pandering to him and allowing it to happen.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Andre Rison still considers himself to be the best WR to ever play the game.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably as often as his receivers are wondering why they have to use their entire catch radius to battle the defender for the ball. Or when did the skip pass became part of Aaron's arsenal. Or calculating how high a ladder they'd need to catch that last pass.

Everyone always gushes about how AR is by far the best QB at not throwing INTs - it's gotten to his head. As evidenced this season by only 2 INTs but leading the league by far in throwaways and bounce passes.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This kerqaulp guy needs to have his IP banned.

Anyway, PoppaSan's post could be the most spot-on that I've read ... it was posted right before kerqaulp's mass spamming session... but it's back there somewhere.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This kerqaulp guy needs to have his IP banned.

Anyway, PoppaSan's post could be the most spot-on that I've read ... it was posted right before kerqaulp's mass spamming session... but it's back there somewhere.
Working on it..

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Working on it..

Figured the little turd was driving you nutz. It's the 21st Century, shouldn't we, individually and severally, have the ability to lazer-zap cyber turds? Maybe that comes with the jet-packs we were promised as kids. :mad:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andre Rison still considers himself to be the best WR to ever play the game.
I liked Andre Rison, wish we would have kept him longer.
But I don't think his attitude is necessarily representative of most NFL players.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts