Shut Rodgers down?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To tank management has to get everyone on board.

That means players that are not coming back have to play bad.. If they are trying to audition for future teams, I don't think they would be to happy about that

See this part I agree with, as well as coaches. I doubt any competitive athlete or coach wants to loose and look bad in the process. But I am pretty certain that many of the starters, who know they will be back with the same team, aren't that excited about playing in games at the end of the season with nothing on the line. The "way around it", is you put your 2nd and 3rd stringers in there to battle their ***es off and show that they deserve to be there. Which to me is a win-win, you protect your stars from a potential long term injury and give the guys who need the work and the platform the ability to do so.

I would liken it to watching the Pro Bowl VS a Championship game between 2 High School Teams. I would much rather watch a bunch of guys going full on and all out, despite not being star NFL players, than watch a bunch of NFL stars going at it half hearted with not a lot to play for.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See this part I agree with, as well as coaches. I doubt any competitive athlete or coach wants to loose and look bad in the process. But I am pretty certain that many of the starters, who know they will be back with the same team, aren't that excited about playing in games at the end of the season with nothing on the line. The "way around it", is you put your 2nd and 3rd stringers in there to battle their ***es off and show that they deserve to be there. Which to me is a win-win, you protect your stars from a potential long term injury and give the guys who need the work and the platform the ability to do so.

I would liken it to watching the Pro Bowl VS a Championship game between 2 High School Teams. I would much rather watch a bunch of guys going full on and all out, despite not being star NFL players, than watch a bunch of NFL stars going at it half hearted with not a lot to play for.

That'd be more like a win-win-win wouldn't it. You protect your stars, you give the young guys experience, and since you will most likely lose you get a higher draft pick.

You do bring up an interesting point. I wonder if you asked the starters, who know they will be back with the same team, if they want to play or not I wonder what they would say. Well, I'm pretty sure what they would all SAY I just don't know how many would mean it. Some, like Rodgers would honestly want to play and win others might be more content to sit back and look ahead to a healthy next season. I don't think many would want to be viewed as the healthy guy who said he didn't want to play to avoid injury. I'm also pretty sure that most who would play would give it their all but many would probably be secretly hoping management would make that choice for them and sit them.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also pretty sure that most who would play would give it their all but many would probably be secretly hoping management would make that choice for them and sit them.

I'm sure part of most players want to play for the love of the game. But you also have to remember football is these guys' livelihoods and an injury will likely cost them millions of dollars. For that reason I have to imagine they're not real keen on playing in any games they don't have to.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That'd be more like a win-win-win wouldn't it. You protect your stars, you give the young guys experience, and since you will most likely lose you get a higher draft pick.

You do bring up an interesting point. I wonder if you asked the starters, who know they will be back with the same team, if they want to play or not I wonder what they would say. Well, I'm pretty sure what they would all SAY I just don't know how many would mean it. Some, like Rodgers would honestly want to play and win others might be more content to sit back and look ahead to a healthy next season. I don't think many would want to be viewed as the healthy guy who said he didn't want to play to avoid injury. I'm also pretty sure that most who would play would give it their all but many would probably be secretly hoping management would make that choice for them and sit them.

Agree with pretty much everything and would add, College "stars" sit out Bowl and Senior Games. Originally, that was met with a pretty cold reaction by fans and teammates, but with the money where it is and incidents of a few players losing draft spots due to injuries in these games, I think people are warming up to it as not being a bad idea. I don't think Nick Bosa is going to be viewed as a quitter, just a guy protecting his future.

Like I said in a previous post, I understand that in the NFL, the only time it seems "acceptable" to sit players is if you are a playoff team locked into a spot. Maybe someday people will take a different view of things when it comes to what eliminated teams should be able to do?

I have never heard grumbling when starters are pulled from blowouts, but I guess the dividing line is its ok to "quit" when your fate is already sealed?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with pretty much everything and would add, College "stars" sit out Bowl and Senior Games. Originally, that was met with a pretty cold reaction by fans and teammates, but with the money where it is and incidents of a few players losing draft spots due to injuries in these games, I think people are warming up to it as not being a bad idea. I don't think Nick Bosa is going to be viewed as a quitter, just a guy protecting his future.

Like I said in a previous post, I understand that in the NFL, the only time it seems "acceptable" to sit players is if you are a playoff team locked into a spot. Maybe someday people will take a different view of things when it comes to what eliminated teams should be able to do?

I have never heard grumbling when starters are pulled from blowouts, but I guess the dividing line is its ok to "quit" when your fate is already sealed?
They aren’t quitting. It’s not about just being on the field during the game. It’s about staying mentally sharp, working hard when the end goal is or seems unattainable. It’s about the mindset and effort in between the games. It’s the mentality you create among the players. In a blowout, they came and conquered. Pull some starters, they earned it by preparing and playing like champions. That’s far different than saying, “ well we underachieved boys, why not check out early” As for playoffs, I’m not a fan of sitting anyone unless injury says to.

Otherwise I’d rather they prepare like its the real thing and go out and perform like it’s the real thing for at least a half. It keeps them in the groove.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They aren’t quitting. It’s not about just being on the field during the game. It’s about staying mentally sharp, working hard when the end goal is or seems unattainable. It’s about the mindset and effort in between the games. It’s the mentality you create among the players. In a blowout, they came and conquered. Pull some starters, they earned it by preparing and playing like champions. That’s far different than saying, “ well we underachieved boys, why not check out early” As for playoffs, I’m not a fan of sitting anyone unless injury says to.

Otherwise I’d rather they prepare like its the real thing and go out and perform like it’s the real thing for at least a half. It keeps them in the groove.

You do realize that in blowouts, it isn't always just the team winning that pulls their starters? What is the message to the starters pulled on the losing team?

What are your thoughts on Nick Bosa or star players opting to sit out Bowl and Senior games?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t care for pulling starters when getting blown out. If you’re afraid you QB is going to get hurt, make hand it off 3 times in a row. But it’s still not the same as giving them the last 1,2,3,4 weeks off of preparation because you’re no longer in playoff contention. They still have to prepare to play.

As for bowls, senior bowl is mostly for those that need to showcase themselves again. It overall, I’m not crazy about them either way. Some teams have a good month before they play a bowl game. 2-3 weeks is the norm. They’re college students and it’s a money ploy by rich old white guys running the NCAA. College is a whole other debate in my eyes. And though I’d prefer they play and compete with their team, they aren’t being paid to play the game like a professional is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don’t care for pulling starters when getting blown out. If you’re afraid you QB is going to get hurt, make hand it off 3 times in a row. But it’s still not the same as giving them the last 1,2,3,4 weeks off of preparation because you’re no longer in playoff contention. They still have to prepare to play.

As for bowls, senior bowl is mostly for those that need to showcase themselves again. It overall, I’m not crazy about them either way. Some teams have a good month before they play a bowl game. 2-3 weeks is the norm. They’re college students and it’s a money ploy by rich old white guys running the NCAA. College is a whole other debate in my eyes. And though I’d prefer they play and compete with their team, they aren’t being paid to play the game like a professional is.

At least you are consistent....not wanting starters pulled during a blowout. The fact is though, they often are, by both teams and nobody bats an eye. I would say "just going through the motions and handing the ball off to run clock" is kind of the same thing as telling your starters "play safe, what happens now doesn't really matter". So why not put the backups in and let them play hard, gain experience and make it more entertaining for the fans?

As far as college goes, those guys deciding to sit out in a sense are getting paid.....future pay by where they are selected in the draft. I don't see guys who have no NFL future sitting those games out.

I guess I see a lot of mixed signals in the NFL. Rodgers plays 1-2 quarters the whole preseason. Starters get pulled during blowouts. Yet, all these guys are suppose to go full tilt in games at the end of the year when they are eliminated from the playoffs? Even though some of them sit out with minor injuries or their team has IR'd them in favor of bringing in new guys? IMO, once you are eliminated, why not treat the remainder of the season, like preseason and give all the 2nd and 3rd teamers as many reps as possible, while still protecting the health of your starters.

D

Deleted member 6794

The 2 wins were nice to watch, but I will admit I was bothered by knowing that our draft position was worsened by each win.

It seems there's no point of discussing about it being the right decision to play starters while being eliminated from playoff contention as we won't agree on it at any point.

One thing though, you have mentioned several times now that the last two wins bothered you because the Packers worsened their draft position because of it. Do you realize there was still a chance of making the playoffs at the point they played the Falcons??? Did you advocate for the team to sit Rodgers in that game as well because the chances of reaching the postseason were already slim???

Well that's your opinion. And yet, if the packers were locked into a playoff spot, Rodgers and others probably would have sat. And that's different how?

I don't like teams resting starters in week 17 for the playoffs either. It didn't work out well for the Packers in 2011.

I agree but will the fact, and I use the term loosely, prevent the Patriots from attracting top coaching candidates when BB retires because Kraft made him keep Brady and trade Garoppolo?

Will good coaches stay away from Dallas because Jerry Jones gets his way all the time?

Will good coaches stay away from the Raiders as long as a Davis still owns the team Well OK this one they might

Coaches might stay away from teams with a front office known to interfere with decisions.

But I am pretty certain that many of the starters, who know they will be back with the same team, aren't that excited about playing in games at the end of the season with nothing on the line.

Most of the Packers starters seemed to enjoy playing vs. the Jets.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regular season games are what they are paid for. You prepare and you do your job. Start making excuses as to why you don't need to do that, you'll get worse. Maybe they should just start saving Aaron Rodgers until they know they're in playoffs, so he doesn't get hurt before hand.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Regular season games are what they are paid for. You prepare and you do your job. Start making excuses as to why you don't need to do that, you'll get worse. Maybe they should just start saving Aaron Rodgers until they know they're in playoffs, so he doesn't get hurt before hand.
So they aren't paid to practice, play in the preseason, go to meetings, study the playbook, workout in the off season? Should all the starters for the Saints that sat out the last game not be paid? Your last sentence makes no sense, but I think you meant that. ;)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe they should just start saving Aaron Rodgers until they know they're in playoffs, so he doesn't get hurt before hand.
I kind of like this. Let's just wheel him out on special occasions.
Sort of like Notre Dame wearing the green jerseys.

D

Deleted member 6794

So they aren't paid to practice, play in the preseason, go to meetings, study the playbook, workout in the off season?

Actually NFL players aren't paid to practice during the offseason (although some players have workout bonuses) or to play in preseason games. They collect 1/17th of their base salary for being on the roster during the regular season.

Latest posts